PDA

View Full Version : Boat Transport

beeker407
04-28-2017, 10:48 AM
I've read a few threads on here regarding shipping boats cross country and the experiences and advice some of you have had. Unfortunately I'm still left with a lot of questions than maybe some of those who have dealt with this scenario can help answer.

Im looking at getting a potential new to me boat shipped from San Diego to Orlando.

1. Why the huge range in prices? Most marine transport companies are quoting me around $1.25 to $1.70 a mile, where as uShip bids are averaging $0.60-.70 a mile. (there was one outlier that wanted $15k total but Im thinking he just really didn't wanna deal with it)

2. What insurance information should I look for? I know that in most cases normal boat insurance does not cover someone you are paying to transport it.

3. To shrink wrap or not? To me that extra cost makes sense but a lot of companies I talk to are trying to steer me away from that, saying because of the long trip it starts to come apart and they have to take the time on the side or the road and take the whole thing off anyway.

4. It looks like the easiest way to have this done is for them to use the trailer its on. I'm going to make sure there is a spare and all the tires and hubs have been serviced before it is hooked up. Anything else I should look out for here?

clrussell
04-28-2017, 11:01 AM
That's about the furthest possible that boat can go! Is there nothing on your side of the country?

Make sure trailer and tires are in top top shape.

Shrink wrap is a must for that distance in my opinion..

beeker407
04-28-2017, 11:19 AM
That's about the furthest possible that boat can go! Is there nothing on your side of the country?

Make sure trailer and tires are in top top shape.

Shrink wrap is a must for that distance in my opinion..
I wish there was one closer but thats the way these thing work out sometimes I guess.

Should I do anything in addition to the shrink wrap to protect the boat? I was considering buying the transporter a rock tamer if they didn't have one and I could take it off their vehicle and keep it when I receive shipment, or it could be the tip. Its only $220 on amazon.

clrussell
04-28-2017, 11:22 AM
I wish there was one closer but thats the way these thing work out sometimes I guess.

Should I do anything in addition to the shrink wrap to protect the boat? I was considering buying the transporter a rock tamer if they didn't have one and I could take it off their vehicle and keep it when I receive shipment, or it could be the tip. Its only $220 on amazon.

The rock tamer isn't a bad idea.. honestly I probably would and just give it to the guy as a tip if he deserves it.

MC25
04-28-2017, 11:26 AM
Pics of boat!

CottagerGreg
04-28-2017, 11:44 AM
if they can put the boat and trailer on a flatbed trailer and transport that is you best and safest way. should be about a $1 a mile

TexasA&M
04-28-2017, 11:54 AM
I just had a boat delivered to Texas from Connecticut and used uShip. They were by far the cheapest, with most quotes coming in at about $0.75-$0.80 per mile (flatbed quotes were more than double this price, so I didn't go that route). I ended up using a buy who didn't have many reviews because he was the cheapest, but also the most responsive. I had the dealer who I bought the boat from wrap it, and I'm glad that I did. It rained for the majority of the 1,700 miles and you could tell it. I pulled it all off in about 30 minutes in the parking lot where I met the guy. The boat was wet and dirty in places, but it cleaned right up when I got her home.

I opted not to get any additional insurance because the carrier had a good policy. It was a risk, but one that I was willing to take.

slalomjunkie
04-28-2017, 12:04 PM
Im looking at getting a potential new to me boat shipped from San Diego to Orlando.

Long arse way... 2400 miles and 34 hours of driving... 3.5 days if you hit it 10 hrs/day... I can see why you wouldn't want to DIY, but at .80/mi thats almost 2K. If it were me, I might be inclined to make a ski vacation out of it. Look up all the private lakes / clubs in your route and ski a set at various lakes. Now that would be a fun road trip...

I would definitely take a floor jack, wood blocks, tools, etc... And have all 3 (or 5) tires replaced and the bearings and leaf springs checked out...

Ben
04-28-2017, 12:13 PM
Can the guy that hauls out MC's from TN bring it back there at good rate? Then you pay from the there or make a long weekend to go get it?

beeker407
04-28-2017, 12:26 PM
Can the guy that hauls out MC's from TN bring it back there at good rate? Then you pay from the there or make a long weekend to go get it?

Any contact info for him? I spoke with the local So Cal MC dealer and they gave me a contact number but he hauls individual boat and trailer and is at $1.50/mi.

TexasA&M
04-28-2017, 12:27 PM

I looked into this thinking that it may be cheap to get it to TN, but it was over $2/mile so it wasn't economical. I was really wanted to put it all on a big trailer to keep the wear and tear off of the boat trailer, but couldn't justify the extra $$.

Bouyhead
04-28-2017, 01:21 PM
I've used USship a few times, once for a boat and a few times for my F150 All the hauls where from Florida to New York. USship can be a little fly by the seat of your pants. Most deals are handled by brokers so it can be hard to actually talk to the shipper until a trip is booked. You also have to do your homework on the shipper, like reviews, insurance, etc. The longer your time frame the better the rate. All said I was happy with USship. Good Luck

ValveCoverGasket
04-28-2017, 01:53 PM
i assume the boat is new/expensive enough to justify that expense?

i was shopping for a PS190 this winter, and found that most of the good deals were in the south/southeast (im in the pnw).
i was even talking with a member here about his PS190 and after posting on uship got some quotes back that shipping would have been 30% of the value of the boat.
i thought i could DIY it cheaper but many of my DIY options werent feasible - even with couple hundred dollar cross country flights
most companies that rent pickup trucks to the trades like united rentals, want the trucks returned to their original location
penske, enterprise, uhaul, etc dont want you to tow anything but their trailers
my only option would have been doing a ~5000 mile round trip with my own car but that would have taken too long.

in the end it worked out cheaper/almost the same, to just pay the premium for a local-ish boat

just food for thought, may not apply if youre looking at significantly more expensive boats where the shipping cost washes out a bit more...

good luck!

kwoody51
04-28-2017, 02:49 PM
Regardless of what you do for that distance consider putting new rubber on the trialer before it leaves. Especially if the tires are more than 5 years old. Cheap insurance and will save your fenders and wheels from damage.

Upnorth07
04-28-2017, 03:58 PM
Do what I did after this same dilemma (Vegas to St. Paul, MN)...

Cheapest 1-way flight

Rent Uhaul Cube Van (Ford F350 kind) and tow the boat home with that.

UHaul doesn't mind the 1-way rentals. They even gave me a bit larger one (not really an advantage for me) and a few bucks off because they needed it in my market...

Oh, I got about 7-8mpg towing 65-70mph in the UHaul FWIW

beeker407
04-28-2017, 04:40 PM
For those suggesting DIY and drive it myself I probably would if I had the time. Unfortunately driving cross country is not an option for me this time of the year. [I]Edit. Also the price of just renting a Uhaul is as much as having it shipped, then I would need to add another flight cost, fuel, hotel and other misc expenses.

It is a rare boat (CSX) and it checks every box I need it to, so shipping it cross country really doesn't seem like that much of an issue to me. Just want to make sure I'm taking every precaution in the process and doing things right.

At this point I'm going to make sure trailer has new tires, hubs are serviced, boat is wrapped hopefully find a good shopper and hope for the best

The real questions that would be good to get an answer to are::
- what insurance should I be looking for from the shipper or getting additional for myself
- does anyone have the name of a uShip provider or any provider you've had luck with in the past?

JasterCraft
04-28-2017, 10:54 PM
1. Why the huge range in prices? Most marine transport companies are quoting me around $1.25 to $1.70 a mile, where as uShip bids are averaging $0.60-.70 a mile. (there was one outlier that wanted $15k total but Im thinking he just really didn't wanna deal with it)

$15k???? If you want to pay me $15k I'll happily drive from Texas, pick it up in SD and bring it to Orlando! Heck, I'll even do it for $14k!

beeker407
04-28-2017, 11:34 PM
$15k???? If you want to pay me $15k I'll happily drive from Texas, pick it up in SD and bring it to Orlando! Heck, I'll even do it for $14k!

When I first heard that I figured he11 Ill just fly out west buy a used truck and sell it again when I get home. Needless to say that is an insane amount. I could understand if it was a 43' sailboat but a 21' on a trailer? Its probably similar to checking out another sellers price on amazon, most are within reason then there are always a couple that are impossibly high. I call it end of the world pricing.

beeker407
05-01-2017, 07:08 PM
I just checked with the seller and the tires are about 2-3 years old and its stored inside, brakes and axle bearings replaced 3 years ago. Do you think its worth replacing 5 tires? I guess I could have them around as a full set of spares but seems really new to just throw aside already. Thoughts?

Prostar 190
05-01-2017, 07:24 PM
We had three tires that were 3years old blow out on the last trip to Lake Norris. I think it's just a roll of the dice on trailer tires.

jsturvey
05-01-2017, 09:25 PM
To bad it's not in Texas. I'd haul it to Orlando.

Here is a crazy thought...Are there enough members here on team talk to help haul across a certain distance and pass to another to get this boat from Cali to Florida? Maybe it's a little to complicated, but it's just a thought.

clrussell
05-01-2017, 10:32 PM
To bad it's not in Texas. I'd haul it to Orlando.

Here is a crazy thought...Are there enough members here on team talk to help haul across a certain distance and pass to another to get this boat from Cali to Florida? Maybe it's a little to complicated, but it's just a thought.

always wanted to do this

gsxrjtt
05-02-2017, 08:42 AM
Anything under 1.00 a mile is good. Check to see if they look like fly by nighter shippers or are they full time do it for living guys. It makes a difference in how prepared some people can be. Also the length and weight of boat will determine price as well. Also yes replace all 5 tires. Would you want to pull a boat across country with who knows what. nothing worse then a pissed of shipper trust me I ship 10-12 boats a year and for anything more than 500 miles and tires more than 3 years old. Just a part of boat buying and maintenance

Dylan
05-02-2017, 10:53 AM
I'm local if you need any help with logistics, inspection or even temporary storage. Shoot me a PM if I can help!

MC25
05-02-2017, 10:56 AM
always wanted to do this

would be pretty cool honestly lol

beeker407
05-02-2017, 11:45 AM
I'm thinking that would be a huge undertaking, but does sound cool. I would just go buy as much beer as I can fit in the storage lockers after sea trial and everyone could take their share as they hand off to the next.