PDA

View Full Version : Low voltage warning help!!!!

Mattymillz12
04-26-2017, 05:36 PM
Hey guys, I know this topic is beat to death but I really need some help. Last year my 06 x star threw a bunch of low voltage warnings. We replaced the alternator and problem solved. However water was left on the alternator and most likely ruined it (don't know yet because I can't start it until later this week). Nonetheless it threw the low voltage warning again. So I'm going to replace that for safe measure. However, what else could be the culprit if not the alternator? Regulator? Bad ground? Both batteries read 14.6v until overnight, and today the starting battery simply read 8.0v. I'm kind of lost there as to what can do that? Connections look solid.

And does anyone have a wiring diagram with their perko switches to a dual battery setup just to check? Not ready to do the switch to ACR yet. I'm kinda concerned about this floating orange wire as well?!? Anyone have any info on that?? Help is appreciated!!!

-Matt

RandyFL73
04-26-2017, 05:42 PM
Have you tested the batteries? Sounds as if they aren't holding a charge.

Table Rocker
04-26-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm kinda concerned about this floating orange wire as well?!? Anyone have any info on that?? Help is appreciated!!!

-Matt
What do you have on the charging post on your alternator? Orange is typically the color of the charging lead from the alternator. At least it is on older boats like mine.

Mattymillz12
04-27-2017, 05:08 AM
Have you tested the batteries? Sounds as if they aren't holding a charge.

Yes I had them both tested. Although the starting battery was minimal, it still was not diagnosed as "bad" so they wouldn't replace. However, overnight the battery continued to drain significantly

Mattymillz12
04-27-2017, 05:11 AM
What do you have on the charging post on your alternator? Orange is typically the color of the charging lead from the alternator. At least it is on older boats like mine.

It's disconnected in the picture, but it's the thicker gauge red wire beside of the charging post. Then the thick black gauge for the negative post and the wiring harness that plugs in on top.

The orange wire had been previously disconnected but I'm curious as to why, or the exact wiring scheme.

jgraham37128
04-27-2017, 06:30 AM
I would check/change the batteries without making any other changes.

Table Rocker
04-27-2017, 07:35 AM
It's disconnected in the picture, but it's the thicker gauge red wire beside of the charging post. Then the thick black gauge for the negative post and the wiring harness that plugs in on top.

The orange wire had been previously disconnected but I'm curious as to why, or the exact wiring scheme.

The orange wire was probably decapitated and the red wire was added during the dual battery installation.

Wakerider16
04-27-2017, 08:56 AM
Check the wiring as well from the alternator to the batteries. Had low voltage and it was because one of the wires got cut from something (no idea how) but as soon as I replaced problem was gone!

DestinX-35
04-27-2017, 09:14 AM
Not sure if this helps, but i had an almost similiar situation as you. Troubleshot for a whole season with different (new) batteries, then new blue seas battery switch setup and still kept getting the alarm. Had "stock" alternator rebuilt and was still happening. Upgraded to the 95a alternator and all my problems disappeared. I now have 3 batteries in the boat with the 95a alternator and life is good.

Best of luck

Mattymillz12
04-27-2017, 05:17 PM
I would check/change the batteries without making any other changes.

Since the starting battery was having issues with holding charge I just swapped that out. Rained on me today but I'm gonna hook up he new alternator in the morning and check it! Thank you!

Mattymillz12
04-27-2017, 05:18 PM
The orange wire was probably decapitated and the red wire was added during the dual battery installation.

That's my guess. I was just double checking! The wiring makes sense, just not enough voltage from the starting battery I guess!