PDA

View Full Version : Everything was great. Until it wasn't.

uplandbird
04-24-2017, 01:09 PM
Put the X25 in the water at my home lake this morning.

Empty Monday morning boat ramp. No stress. Take my time.

Double and triple check everything. Proceed. Alone in the boat.

Boat launches great. Starts right up. I've got the hatch open. Watching everything before I drive off. Everything PERFECT.

I head out into the marina for a quick drive before I put it on the lift.

Things are going so well that I decided to work on a couple items. I got a software update last fall and lost my surf profiles so I figured I'd mess around with fixing the ballast timers, adjusting my bags in the rear lockers, and putting back a few of my favorite surfing settings.

Boat fills with ballast. Zero issues.

I start my surf run, go about a hundred yards, pull the throttle back to make some profile adjustments when both bilge pumps start going bonkers.

Lift the hatch and the engine compartment was taking some serious water. No idea from where except I see both rear bags are dry.

Quick thinking- hit the empty all setting and push for the dock. Halfway back to the slip the motor is struggling. My 6 liter giving it all it has. I limp, and I mean limp, into my slip. Hit the button on the lift. Only then did I see how much water I had taken on.

Once in the air, I took out the center drain and it dumped water for several minutes as both bilge pumps continued. It was a holy crap 5 minutes I'll tell you.

MC dealer came right over to help after I called him. One of the hoses on the port side of the engine popped loose under the strain of the surf run. Close call.

I double and triple checked everything before I went. Just goes to show you. That first run out deserves a little extra precaution and attention.

Good luck out there my friends.

DavidF
04-24-2017, 01:37 PM
glad you made it back! I had an issue last summer, last day out, when somehow an impeller got clogged and the engine started to overheat. had to limp back myself...

JohnnyB
04-24-2017, 04:06 PM

Boat launches great. Starts right up. I've got the hatch open. Watching everything before I drive off. Everything PERFECT.

Things are going so well that I decided to work on a couple items. I got a software update last fall and lost my surf profiles so I figured I'd mess around with fixing the ballast timers, adjusting my bags in the rear lockers, and putting back a few of my favorite surfing settings.

I start my surf run, go about a hundred yards, pull the throttle back to make some profile adjustments when both bilge pumps start going bonkers.

Lift the hatch and the engine compartment was taking some serious water. No idea from where except I see both rear bags are dry.

Quick thinking- hit the empty all setting and push for the dock. Halfway back to the slip the motor is struggling. My 6 liter giving it all it has. I limp, and I mean limp, into my slip. Hit the button on the lift. Only then did I see how much water I had taken on.

Once in the air, I took out the center drain and it dumped water for several minutes as both bilge pumps continued. It was a holy crap 5 minutes I'll tell you.

MC dealer came right over to help after I called him. One of the hoses on the port side of the engine popped loose under the strain of the surf run. Close call.

I double and triple checked everything before I went. Just goes to show you. That first run out deserves a little extra precaution and attention.

Wow....load tested your lift for sure!!! Always paranoid between the landing and my lift on my first launch of the year.

Roman
04-24-2017, 05:29 PM
Everyone almost sinks their boat atleast once right?
Glad to hear you and the boat are ok!

Thats the failure that scares me. A busted supply hose. You try to gun it home, but full throttle only makes everything much worse!

I almost sunk mine the first time I took it out. You can probably guess how. It was my friend that noticed that the bilge pumps were full duty.

04 Star Rider
04-24-2017, 05:36 PM
Did the bags leak out too or just the engine hose?

jgraham37128
04-24-2017, 06:59 PM
The reason I remove my center cover on the initial run for the year. It happens quick.

uplandbird
04-24-2017, 07:24 PM
Did the bags leak out too or just the engine hose?

Just the engine hose. I had the hatch open for the first 30 minutes.

DavidF
04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
I have my hatch open, all hatches actually, when I fill my ballast sacs

bcd
04-24-2017, 09:02 PM
Check your engine oil and transmission oil for water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

thatsmrmastercraft
04-24-2017, 09:56 PM
On the bright side, I bet your surf wake was huge!

leadsthebest
04-25-2017, 08:45 AM
Check your engine oil and transmission oil for water.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Don't forget the v-drive oil.

uplandbird
04-25-2017, 09:08 AM
On the bright side, I bet your surf wake was huge!

I was the purist definition of a violator of the no wake zone when I came back into the marina.

uplandbird
04-25-2017, 09:12 AM
Don't forget the v-drive oil.

If there is water, will it be easy to spot it on the dipsticks or do I need to do more than that to check it?

mzimme
04-25-2017, 09:17 AM
I was the purist definition of a violator of the no wake zone when I came back into the marina.

Do what you gotta do.

A couple times I've blown through the no-wake zone...
1) At Lake of the Ozarks. Had a full boat (10 people) on Memorial weekend. Anyone familiar with that lake knows how busy of a day that is, and my boat isn't large. I was at about the 35mm just north of Captain Rons going under that big bridge. Some other asshat didn't think the no-wake mattered and was cruising through at plowing speeds. I saw the giant roller coming at my bow, and with two adults sitting up there, I was sitting LOW in the water. I powered up for the rest of the way out of that no wake zone as to not take half the lake over my bow that day.
2) Huge storm on my home lake in KC. Waves were larger than my wake would have been anyway, so I just said F it and got myself to an unused covered slip at the marina to get out of the storm.

Like I said... do what you gotta do.

mzimme
04-25-2017, 09:18 AM
If there is water, will it be easy to spot it on the dipsticks or do I need to do more than that to check it?

It will look like a milkshake.

JimN
04-25-2017, 09:31 AM

A hose "popped loose"? No, it wasn't secured properly. The castings have a rim to prevent this- it is possible that the hose clamp was over the rib and it could have slid off, but this falls under the other comment.

mikewoods
04-25-2017, 09:41 AM
A hose "popped loose"? No, it wasn't secured properly. The castings have a rim to prevent this- it is possible that the hose clamp was over the rib and it could have slid off, but this falls under the other comment.

Salt in the wound, bro. I think he learned his lesson.

Thrall
04-25-2017, 12:00 PM
^But he's right.....bro.

For everyone reading this, all the newer MCs I've been around{Mines an 06 and been in a few newer than that.} have a shut off ball valve on the raw water supply and the ballast supply lines.
Know where those are and how to get to them.
Another potential leak that's hard to find is the prop shaft water fitting. All the dripless shaft logs have a raw water supply hose that goes through the shaft log. If that comes apart you get raw water from the engine and make water back through the log.

uplandbird
04-25-2017, 12:09 PM
I had never previously disconnected the offending hose. I agree those hoses don't just pop off very easily due to the serious nature of what occurs when they do, and their specific design to prevent it.

It did in my case. That's all I can say. Thought I would share the story to help others.

I'm going to ask my dealer about this shut off valve. Good to know it exists.

wilhelmwake
04-25-2017, 12:46 PM
Good to hear that you made it to the lift without problems and a great warning for us what can happen even to the best of us.

Good to live in Europe in this case as the CE regulations demand that each water inlet has to have a shut off valve, so MC also puts them in as standard to boats that are equipped with the CE package. I would certainly recommend everyone who orders a new MC to select that option as it really is one of the only sort of cheapesh options.

mikewoods
04-26-2017, 02:17 PM
^But he's right.....bro.

For everyone reading this, all the newer MCs I've been around{Mines an 06 and been in a few newer than that.} have a shut off ball valve on the raw water supply and the ballast supply lines.
Know where those are and how to get to them.
Another potential leak that's hard to find is the prop shaft water fitting. All the dripless shaft logs have a raw water supply hose that goes through the shaft log. If that comes apart you get raw water from the engine and make water back through the log.

I feel the need to point out that the use of the word bro was tongue in cheek.

And he is right, sort of. The mechanical interference between the ID of the hose and the hose barb is comprised over time and heat cycles of the rubber. The clamp, however should have prevented the blow off.

Bouyhead
04-26-2017, 05:56 PM
I had never previously disconnected the offending hose. I agree those hoses don't just pop off very easily due to the serious nature of what occurs when they do, and their specific design to prevent it.

It did in my case. That's all I can say. Thought I would share the story to help others.

I'm going to ask my dealer about this shut off valve. Good to know it exists.

Depending on if your boat was winterized, who performed it, and how they performed it, some hoses might have been disconnected, drained, then reattached. Before a "shakedown" cruise go over everthing in the bilge, especially all the hose clamps. After you reach operating temp go over them again. I always bring a buddy and tools on my shakedown. I let him drive and I poke my head around looking for something that might not be right.

Bouyhead
04-26-2017, 05:58 PM
I feel the need to point out that the use of the word bro was tongue in cheek.

And he is right, sort of. The mechanical interference between the ID of the hose and the hose barb is comprised over time and heat cycles of the rubber. The clamp, however should have prevented the blow off.

Good call on heat cycles and the rubber hose.... Bro:D;)

uplandbird
04-27-2017, 01:27 PM
Lesson learned.

Now if the weather in Kansas City would just warm up I could get back on it! 50 and rain predicted all weekend.

mzimme
04-27-2017, 01:57 PM
Lesson learned.

Now if the weather in Kansas City would just warm up I could get back on it! 50 and rain predicted all weekend.

Yeah... it's BS. I've got a lawn that needs it's weed and feed, and a boat that needs to be "summerized". This rain is driving me crazy.

X2Scool
04-27-2017, 06:12 PM
I can understand your panicked state. I had a similar thing happen a few years ago when a frost plug let go about 20 minutes into the ride. The faster I tried to get back to the launch the faster it filled! The worst part was that I had to lower the tower to get under a bridge to get back to the launch and lost a tower knob in the drink!

gunsbuns
04-27-2017, 11:34 PM
Reading this I think I'd have turned off the engine and probably sunk. Glad we have insurance and i can swim :)

D. Newland
04-28-2017, 11:58 AM
Glad you got back OK!

FWIW: high water alarm (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Rule-Bilge-Alarm&i=79809)

I installed this for fear of the ballast bags rupturing or some other crazy water intrusion event.

Easy install. The float fit right under my oil pan, and I have the alarm horn off to the port side of the boat, away from the dash. If that thing goes off, there's no guessing what's going on.

uplandbird
04-28-2017, 12:08 PM
Glad you got back OK!

FWIW: high water alarm (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Rule-Bilge-Alarm&i=79809)

I installed this for fear of the ballast bags rupturing or some other crazy water intrusion event.

Easy install. The float fit right under my oil pan, and I have the alarm horn off to the port side of the boat, away from the dash. If that thing goes off, there's no guessing what's going on.

Interesting idea. Where is it getting its power from?

Of course I didn't have a problem until after I closed my hatch. Hatch had been open, monitoring everything closely for 30 mins. Then on minute 31....

Only way I knew I had a problem was when the bilge pumps went old faithful on me.

Monitor could help with that. Like it.

D. Newland
04-28-2017, 01:27 PM
Direct wire to the battery. It's only a 2 amp fuse, if I remember correctly. The switch is spliced in on the positive wire.

When the float is tripped, it completes the 12 V circuit and sounds the alarm. When everything is normal (not tripped), zero power drain. It's basically a bilge pump float switch that activates an alarm rather than a pump.

kman
04-28-2017, 03:30 PM
Reading this I think I'd have turned off the engine and probably sunk. Glad we have insurance and i can swim :)

I've often wondered if this might be the more prudent thing to do though. I mean if the rupture happens after the raw water pump - which is the more likely, the boat will fill up quick with the engine running especially at high RPM's. I think the best thing to do is shut the engine off and close the hull valve (if you can get to it) and let the bilge pumps empty the boat. Then try to find someone to tow you in. Now the question I have is if the rupture happens before the raw water pump, say the hose pops off, will 2 bilge pumps be able to keep up with that hole?

armerjr
05-02-2017, 01:19 AM
That's when damage control kicks in. If you don't have a valve to shut off, plug the hose with anything on board, such as a towel, koozies, or whatever you can jam into the hose to stop or stem the flow to allow the pumps to keep up or overcome the water. If possible, raise the end of the hose above the waterline and the incoming flow should slow or even stop.