PDA

View Full Version : X26 Trailer sway issue

bwatso01
04-20-2017, 09:42 PM
Just picked the boat up from WSC @ Lake Lanier in GA getting her serviced for the summer season...she is ready to get wet and make some new memories on the lake!!
....but I noticed on the ride home that I seemed to have a little trailer sway when got over 63 mph and was wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Is this a case of not enough tongue weight on this trailer and such a big boat?
I had a X45 before I stepped up to the X26 and pulled it with the same truck and never felt the level of trailer sway that I did today. Looking for suggestions. Thanks!

MC25
04-20-2017, 09:58 PM
Probably the truck. I wouldn't tow a 26 with an f150.

bwatso01
04-20-2017, 10:10 PM
That truck is rated to tow 10,700lbs with GVWC of 16,000lbs...this X26 boat/trailer is right @ 10k lbs. GVWR and tow weight at about 9000lbs....only about 1500 lbs more than my X45 that I never had issues with it. I do not tow it much as I have a ramp at my lakehouse so usually only goes from barn to lake (about 100 yards) but had to take to dealer for service and a software update.
I am afraid you might be right...time for a F-250 upgrade...boy the wife is gonna love this!!

moosehead
04-20-2017, 10:21 PM
Dayum, she's barge and in charge. Congrats, would love to ride an x26.

Tend to agree with Aric, would only want to do so low speed short hauls with a 1/2 ton. She also looks like she wants three axles underneath the MC.

Maybe try airbags? They are a huge help on any tow rig.

gsxrjtt
04-20-2017, 10:24 PM
new truck time lol .. I had same thing F150 4x4 crew cab short box with eco boost and power commander and the truck was just to light for super heavy loads.. Yea It could pull it but stoping quick was sketch with my 30" enclosed and and an antique in it. Quickly stepped up to a new diesel 4x4 and now its an after thought

Shaun R
04-20-2017, 10:25 PM
You sure the truck is rated to tow that weight without electric brakes or a torsion hitch? It maybe able to do it in paper, but that's a big girl and I'd feel better towing it with an F250.

hvlx2
04-20-2017, 10:29 PM
Well been there ...now with the boat but I have a 39 ft bumper pull toy hauler that used to whip me around like a rag doll ...after many attempts to bandaid I finally bought a f350 drw to cut through the bull and get right ....you can never have too much tow rig to be safe and family appreciates it

bwatso01
04-20-2017, 10:34 PM
I believe all you guys are correct...believe I need to step up to a F250 to safely tow this thing over any distances....which we very seldom do...but can never have too much tow rig!!:cool:

lashburn1
04-20-2017, 10:57 PM
Its your Trailer and or Tires

Make sure you AIR TIRES to MAX rating.

my Low profile Trailers never swayed.

if the F150 is properly equipped to haul the X26 total load, you should not be swaying.
as others mention , dig into your Ford tow info
short distance and casual towing should be OK

otherwise look to a larger 250 option if you will tow weekly and or far

lsupcar
04-20-2017, 11:15 PM
Weigh it and see how much tongue weight you have.

LDA6339
04-20-2017, 11:29 PM
Can't wait to see the new setup in the tow vehicle photos thread! You can make the truck match the boat now that you're upgrading!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JohnE
04-20-2017, 11:30 PM
Its your Trailer and or Tires

I agree. I'm not up to speed on current specs, but back in '08 ish, there was a bulleting to air to 10 psi over max if you planned to exceed 65 mph. I did so, and had no issues.

Granted this boat is 3x the weight of what I tow, but proper inflation is important.

1redTA
04-20-2017, 11:37 PM
Weigh it and see how much tongue weight you have.

I like this, trailers will sway with too little tongue weight. Maybe rearrange some of the load in the boat to gain more tongue weight, but keep it within the rating of the truck

99mastercraft
04-21-2017, 12:08 AM
I will also agree with checking tire pressure, just out of curiosity what tires are on the trailer?

lashburn1
04-21-2017, 02:20 AM
I will also agree with checking tire pressure, just out of curiosity what tires are on the trailer?

Non low profile, are 16" LOAD RANGE E

jsturvey
04-21-2017, 08:03 AM
Trailer sway starts with the trailer, not the vehicle pulling it. Check weight bias and tire pressure. That being said, I'd be nervous towing that size of a rig with a half ton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jgraham37128
04-21-2017, 08:06 AM
Easy fix drop the trailer hitch. It could be too high causing it to push the weight to the rear.

Mastercraftdave
04-21-2017, 08:08 AM
Easy fix drop the trailer hitch. It could be too high causing it to push the weight to the rear.

This was my initial thought. Make sure the trailer is as level as possible and check the air pressure.

Im really surprised that MC doesn't offer a triple axle trailer for the X26.

willyt
04-21-2017, 08:27 AM
You need two more axles on that trailer :-p

s2real
04-21-2017, 09:21 AM
Could be too little tongue weight too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

hvlx2
04-21-2017, 09:54 AM
Tongue weight is key for sure you can get a scale http://sherline.com/product/sherline-trailer-tongue-weight-scale/ that makes it easy to test pretty cheap and most of your local recycle places have a truck scale you can get in to accurately check the weight of your loaded boat....then make sure your in the 10-15% tongue weight range ....but ultimately that a lot of weight for a half ton pickup particularly on long distances.... I know they're are some that are rated for it but it would be at the max.....

From your picture posted it doesn't appear it's riding nose high but also something to check as some have already indicated

uplandbird
04-21-2017, 10:00 AM
Just like when my bird dog goes ape when I get my shotgun out, your X26 wants off that trailer and into the water. Its just excited.

lakejimmyjon
04-21-2017, 11:31 AM
Remember this demonstration?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jk9H5AB4lM

lakejimmyjon
04-21-2017, 11:33 AM
My bad...skipped page 2.

Wkndtoy
04-21-2017, 01:25 PM
Check the tires and see how close to max weight you are? On our X-55 we upgraded tires so we have a max weight of 11,320lbs and it does help with the sway, but it doesn't matter if we tow with the truck dodge diesel 2500 (with aftermarket spring) or a 36foot class A diesel pusher. The trailer will sway a little even after moving the boat four inches forward, I would think the X-26 would wag that F-150 all over the place.

The triple axles I hear are really nice to tow!!! They just don't like to turn!!

Loewen
04-21-2017, 01:47 PM
High odds that is a tongue weight issue. If two of you can lift the tongue up unhitched without too much trouble, it's too light. If you alone can lift it unhitched it's WAY too light. Not enough tongue weight is almost always the culprit on trailer sway. Won't matter if you are pulling with a f350 or f150

hvlx2
04-21-2017, 01:53 PM
High odds that is a tongue weight issue. If two of you can lift the tongue up unhitched without too much trouble, it's too light. If you alone can lift it unhitched it's WAY too light. Not enough tongue weight is almost always the culprit on trailer sway. Won't matter if you are pulling with a f350 or f150

true....but what happens next would be different.

a bigger more stable tow vehicle wont get wagged the same way and will recover better in any event of sway..........but agree tongue weight is generally the culprit

slalomjunkie
04-21-2017, 02:29 PM

Maybe its just me, but I always had better luck with reducing sway by having less pressure in tires (maybe bc theres more rubber on the road), but who knows...

Wkndtoy
04-21-2017, 02:39 PM

I do agree with you, In my case I have measured the tongue weight with a load cell and we have about 450-500 lbs on the ball. This seems to be the best weight I have found to limit the waggy tail syndrome.

We tow 161 miles (one way) from Issaquah to moses lake almost every other weekend in the summer and this trailer will still wag a bit in the corners and on rutted roads, it is way better with the high load rated tires. Road conditions all come into play with trailer wag/sway too, wind, rutted road, oncoming traffic. Having a tow rig that weighs equall to or more than the trailer is does help a lot with driver comfort.

hvlx2
04-21-2017, 02:41 PM
Careful Max load rating w tires is def at max pressure ....severely under inflated tires can heat up w bad consequences

Tyler qb
04-21-2017, 07:01 PM
I'd say with a truck at capacity and sway I'd slow it down to 55. That might not be the popular option but it is the safest. work out what you can do with your trailer and truck combo.

I hauled my x80 with f150. Once. It rang in on the scales at 10,500 with a half tank and not much gear. no water. trailer was triple axle with electric over hydraulic brakes which is the only reason i considered it as well as a short distance.

I spent a long time setting up the trailer correctly for the 3/4 and 1 tons i usually used.

Trailer Tires and pressures (and truck tire pressure, air bag pressure if equipped)
proper hitch height for the truck/trailer combo
correct tongue weight
proper brake settings

if those things were all correct with your f150 and x26 it'd probably be ok but still at capacity. i would prefer another axle on that size of trailer and boat. and a bigger truck.

Tsumi
04-21-2017, 10:12 PM
I would agree that it has something to do with the trailer setup. We had a Gekko GTR-22 that swayed really badly at speeds above 65 mph, so much that I would only tow it at 60 mph with an E-150, and that is a 2400 lbs boat. Our X-Star and 190 do not sway at any speed.

lsupcar
04-21-2017, 11:54 PM
I'm interested to hear what your tongue weight is.
Just looking at your first picture, it sure looks like the trailer wheels are positioned far forward, leading to a light tongue weight.

Chunk
04-23-2017, 04:19 PM
I had the same issue pulling my X23. Yours looked like mine. I think you need to raise you ball up a little. Looks like too much weight on the front tires of the trailer. I raised mine and it took the high speed sway away.
Your trailer looks low at the hitch. Just my opinion,

clrussell
04-23-2017, 05:34 PM
I still think you need to hook it to a bigger truck..

hvlx2
04-23-2017, 06:03 PM
Raising the ball will NOt help sway

sodbuster88
04-23-2017, 06:06 PM
Tongue weight is key for sure you can get a scale http://sherline.com/product/sherline-trailer-tongue-weight-scale/ that makes it easy to test pretty cheap and most of your local recycle places have a truck scale you can get in to accurately check the weight of your loaded boat....then make sure your in the 10-15% tongue weight range ....but ultimately that a lot of weight for a half ton pickup particularly on long distances.... I know they're are some that are rated for it but it would be at the max.....

From your picture posted it doesn't appear it's riding nose high but also something to check as some have already indicated

Wat he said!!!

ap77
04-23-2017, 06:22 PM

https://youtu.be/4jk9H5AB4lM

After watching the video it looks like no enough weight on the tongue will cause the trailer to sway....interesting.

jsx30
04-23-2017, 06:25 PM
So I took my boat out for the first time this season and noticed that after supposedly emptying my ballast there was water still in the bags. I played with my timer settings and got everything to empty but it took some adjusting. If I was trailering, and I didn't check, I might have had more weight towards the back of the boat than usual. This may be rudimentary and maybe the first thing everybody checks. But its just a thought...

ap77
04-23-2017, 06:58 PM
So I took my boat out for the first time this season and noticed that after supposedly emptying my ballast there was water still in the bags. I played with my timer settings and got everything to empty but it took some adjusting. If I was trailering, and I didn't check, I might have had more weight towards the back of the boat than usual. This may be rudimentary and maybe the first thing everybody checks. But its just a thought...

That is a very good point. Not sure if it applies here, but definately something to check. Our routine after pulling the boat out of the water is to do a manual ballast drain. I think I started doing this when I read on here of someone that blew a couple trailer tires after picking up his boat from the dealer. Apparently they forgot to drain the ballast tanks and the extra weight ruined the trailer tires.

Chunk
04-23-2017, 07:24 PM

It helped mine. The trailer was not even and was to low in the front. I had a 4" drop hitch. Changed to a 2" drop and it leveled the trailer so all four wheels were handling the weight evenly.

Chunk
04-23-2017, 07:36 PM
That truck in the pic looks pretty sunken in the rear. Don't think tongue weight is to little.

jgraham37128
04-23-2017, 08:26 PM
It helped mine. The trailer was not even and was to low in the front. I had a 4" drop hitch. Changed to a 2" drop and it leveled the trailer so all four wheels were handling the weight evenly.

Lowering the ball moves more weight forward which should reduce the sway.

The reason a trailer sways is due to improper weight distribution.

Tyler qb
04-24-2017, 12:02 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i2fkOVHAC8Q

Tsumi
04-24-2017, 11:26 AM
Lowering the ball moves more weight forward which should reduce the sway.

The reason a trailer sways is due to improper weight distribution.

Not necessarily I think. Lowering the front on a tandem trailer will compress the front spring more, which can take weight off the tongue and the rear axle. Think of it like a weight distributing hitch. Forcing the truck to be level transfers weight to the truck's front tires and trailer tires rather than the rear axle.

Chunk
04-24-2017, 11:34 AM
Exactly. Not to mention blowouts to the tires that are supporting more load

Roman
04-24-2017, 12:39 PM
Your rig isnt set up properly.

One thing I noticed here at work (I work for one of the big three), our trailers all have Weight Distributing Hitch Systems on everything. They are pretty cheap, and work really well. We routinely tow at max tow as well (half ton atleast. With the bigger trucks you need special licenses and log books so then we have drivers that do it. But it is routinely done).

My friend does this for a living (Dynamic trailer testing engineer). He says if your towing with a half ton, once you go over 5 or 6k lbs you really want some type of weight distributing hitch system.

You also really should take the time and make sure you tongue weight is correct using a couple bathroom scales, and that the hitch is in the right spot keeping everything level. The load bars help put more load on the front tires of your truck which helps alot. Take the time to set it up once and then your good.

Or step up to a 3/4 ton and your truck is better able to deal with a load that isn't set up correctly. Your truck looks pretty new from the pictures Im seeing though.

Chunk
04-24-2017, 01:20 PM
How do these systems work with the boat trailer braking system. Seems like it wouldn't allow the trailer to compress and apply the brakes.

Roman
04-24-2017, 01:49 PM
How do these systems work with the boat trailer braking system. Seems like it wouldn't allow the trailer to compress and apply the brakes.

Are you referring to surge brakes and electric brakes? I assume all the new MC trailers are electric. If you have surge brakes then you just purchase a system intended for surge brakes. The big thing is you would need movement in the horizontal direction.

http://www.equalizerhitch.com/

Edit---> we had one of these systems on our old truck, 02 2wd silverado 1500. I installed it after my friend told my wife about it, and then she insisted we have it. Made for an easy gift. Set up took me a while because this is one of those cases where you keep tweaking it until everything is right, then it stays there. It took me a couple hours start to finish including loading both horses into the trailer. It towed a lot better. I wouldn't be surprised if that was around 6-7k lbs.

MC25
04-24-2017, 02:01 PM
All MC trailers are surge. I don't think I've seen a factory electric brake'd wakeboat trailer

lashburn1
04-24-2017, 02:27 PM
All MC trailers are surge. I don't think I've seen a factory electric brake'd wakeboat trailer

AUSSIE Package on MC build a boat

masterx10
04-24-2017, 06:09 PM
Every trailer carrying a load over 2000kg (4409lb) GTM in Australia has to have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. Here is my Mastercraft trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes delivered from the factory. I am surprised to hear that the larger boats over there are using surge brakes.

jgraham37128
04-24-2017, 06:30 PM
AUSSIE Package on MC build a boat

I'm expecting it will change over considering all new trucks have the integrated electric brake module. I'd like to see it myself.

jgraham37128
04-24-2017, 06:33 PM
Every trailer carrying a load over 2000kg (4409lb) GTM in Australia has to have electric or electric over hydraulic brakes. Here is my Mastercraft trailer with electric over hydraulic brakes delivered from the factory. I am surprised to hear that the larger boats over there are using surge brakes.

Man is stealing boats a problem in Aussi? That's a lot of locks.. I leave the keys in mine.

I can see 5 maybe 6?

MC25
04-24-2017, 06:35 PM
Man is stealing boats a problem in Aussi? That's a lot of locks.. I leave the keys in mine.

lol I was just thinking the same thing. I'd lose those keys in a heartbeat.

gunsbuns
04-24-2017, 09:29 PM
lol I was just thinking the same thing. I'd lose those keys in a heartbeat.

Mine has the same electric system. Weird that they'd have different ones here to the US! They work bloody well though. I can adjust mine from the dash so the boat brakes can stop the car if I wanted (which of course I don't).

Re:the locks - our insurers here generlly require some form of specific hitch lock or wheel lock to cover for theft. I do something similar with mine but agree that lots of keys = sometimes needing to cut locks off!

Tsumi
04-24-2017, 10:21 PM
Mine has the same electric system. Weird that they'd have different ones here to the US! They work bloody well though. I can adjust mine from the dash so the boat brakes can stop the car if I wanted (which of course I don't).

Re:the locks - our insurers here generlly require some form of specific hitch lock or wheel lock to cover for theft. I do something similar with mine but agree that lots of keys = sometimes needing to cut locks off!

The US has archaic trailer laws. It's for that same reason a Mercedes sedan can tow over 4000 lbs in the EU but can't do more than 2000 in the US.

Bobbyholiday71
05-18-2017, 06:43 PM
I see lots of good info here...and I'm confused. I have the exact same setup as the original poster:
2015 F150 Ecobooost super Crew FX4
and I'm purchasing a 2016 X-26......

So, will it not be safe for me to go long distances without one of the weight distributing hitch systems on it? Twice a season I'll probably do a 500 mile trip (one way is 500). A new truck is not an option right now--it took everything I had to get approval for the truck and the boat.

I guess I'm asking, what is the bottom line with my setup?

I appreciate any feedback in advance!

Holiday

moosehead
05-18-2017, 07:01 PM
^IIRC, folding tongue trailers are not suited to WD hitch setups. Could be wrong, but looked into it and asked MC several years back.

Shaun R
05-18-2017, 07:46 PM
Weight distribution hitches do not work with folding tongues or surge brakes. By they do make a big difference when towing with half ton trucks

markmcfarland
05-18-2017, 09:34 PM
I see lots of good info here...and I'm confused. I have the exact same setup as the original poster:

So, will it not be safe for me to go long distances without one of the weight distributing hitch systems on it? Twice a season I'll probably do a 500 mile trip (one way is 500). A new truck is not an option right now--it took everything I had to get approval for the truck and the boat.

Holiday

I would recommend looking into electric over hydraulic brakes for the trailer. Switched mine this winter. So much difference. Trailer can stop truck if I needed it to. I can change the gain in the truck. You would be able to too if you have the integrated controller. Cost a little under 1,000 to do.

Tsumi
05-18-2017, 10:33 PM

Holiday

Airbags would be a must to level out the truck, if yours doesn't have it. Otherwise, leave plenty of room in front of you.

The minimum it can tow is 7600 lbs with the 2.7 L Ecoboost, and it can tow up to 11,500 lbs with the 3.5 L Ecoboost (based off of 2017 charts). The X26 weighs 6700 lbs, plus trailer and equipment. I would estimate you're looking at towing ~8500 lbs.

m5guy
05-19-2017, 08:15 AM
Agree with all post on the tongue weight being an issue. However, the bigger issue here is being at the edge of the truck's capability (or perhaps beyond). Tires are a big factor as well.

I have an X55 and went from a 1/2 ton Sierra Denali to a 3/4 ton Denali and just replaced my 16 3/4 with a 17 3500 Single rear wheel. No regrets what so ever. Never had significant sway with the 1/2 ton but feel if you're too close to the limits, if you have an issue there is less of a chance to compensate.

Check the tongue weight, which will probably tell you to move some gear forward in your boat, but that will just put more weight on your truck further pushing the bounds. If you have the X26, it's time to get a truck that matches its awesomeness.

m5guy
05-19-2017, 08:36 AM

Holiday

At the bare minimum, check the weight rating of your tires on your truck. Odds are they are not LT tires. If not, strongly suggest replacing with an LT tire D/E load range. I run LT275/65R20's on mine. Ride will be a bit rougher.

Example difference in weight ratings
LT275/65R20 - Max 3,750 lbs @ 80psi
275/60R20 - Max 2,679 lbs @ 44psi

lashburn1
05-19-2017, 09:35 AM

Holiday

Holiday,
I'm assuming you live somewhere near me, and are getting a leftover X26 from CalSkier. ?
500mile trip is to Havasu a couple times a year. ?

I see your ECO F150 dragging huge rigs to the desert all season

Staying within Tow ratings is key for you, so casual towing like this, you will be fine.
You just don't want to tow at the limits as a daily work use vehicle.
Make certain your Trailer brakes are 100% working, I've had poor experience with trailer brake setups.

Post picks of the X26!!!!

CumberlandXstar
05-19-2017, 12:32 PM
I do a fair amount of towing and even if your truck is undersized, your load should not sway. A larger truck can mask the issue, but it is still there.

There is a under lying trailer issue causing this issue. The largest factor I have always found is correct balancing of the trailer and having enough tongue weight. I would add about 500 pounds of weight as far forward in the boat and test drive it to see if this solves your issue. You might not need this much weight that far forward but it will be drastic enough to notice a difference on your test drive.

Other simple things to check would be:
Tire pressure
Height of your trailer hitch (should be close to 16 - 18"),
Bearings to see if getting warm when towing
Brakes to make sure not dragging.

MC25
05-19-2017, 12:36 PM
500 pounds in the nose would put the tounge weight WAY over an F150s capacity

Shaun R
05-19-2017, 01:03 PM
MCs site has the X26 at 9K lbs with trailer, that's a lot for any half ton truck.

Forrest-X45
05-19-2017, 03:45 PM
Agree with all post on the tongue weight being an issue. However, the bigger issue here is being at the edge of the truck's capability (or perhaps beyond). Tires are a big factor as well.

I have an X55 and went from a 1/2 ton Sierra Denali to a 3/4 ton Denali and just replaced my 16 3/4 with a 17 3500 Single rear wheel. No regrets what so ever. Never had significant sway with the 1/2 ton but feel if you're too close to the limits, if you have an issue there is less of a chance to compensate.

Check the tongue weight, which will probably tell you to move some gear forward in your boat, but that will just put more weight on your truck further pushing the bounds. If you have the X26, it's time to get a truck that matches its awesomeness.

Pure Awesomeness!!! Beautiful truck.

That is the correct tow vehicle.

Huskie05
05-19-2017, 03:56 PM
I towed an X55 with a Ford F350, no issues ever. Tow with a 2016 Ford F350 an X46 now, don't even know its there. Its not what you can tow, its what you can stop! Diesel is the only way to go!
F350 is long bed, smooth ride as well. You X26 is awesome, nice Ford in front would tie it all together.....

kadam75
05-19-2017, 04:20 PM

Nice Denali! My dad picked up one of the 17' too. Loves the new engine, I still cant believe how quiet it runs.
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/kadam75/20170311_105737.jpg (http://s904.photobucket.com/user/kadam75/media/20170311_105737.jpg.html)

m5guy
05-19-2017, 09:18 PM
Nice Denali! My dad picked up one of the 17' too. Loves the new engine, I still cant believe how quiet it runs.
http://i904.photobucket.com/albums/ac245/kadam75/20170311_105737.jpg (http://s904.photobucket.com/user/kadam75/media/20170311_105737.jpg.html)

It is actually quieter than a 2000 gas 6.0L HD that I had many many years ago. Cruising down the road, can't tell it's a diesel at all. Few quirky things about shift points that they are still working out, but for a first year engine, it's been great. Significantly noticeable power increase from LML.