PDA

View Full Version : My X23 build. A heck of a process or NOT :)

wilhelmwake
04-18-2017, 02:14 PM
I thought that I will start this thread to document some of the mods that I am about to perform to my new X23. Unfortunately I can only really start to fiddle around with my boat after I finally get it from Germany. As in 2015 this will be a road & ferry trip for me and my friend. Driving sleeping, having a couple of brews or maybe couple more and then driving some more (approx. 1000km all together). On my list for my 2017 boat I have the following as my stage 1 mod package (There might be a stage 2 coming up, but not sure at this point):

1. Blast RGB LED speaker light rings for the JL AUDIO tower cans with M880s - DONE
2. Mount the JL AUDIO tower cans (not sure whether the 2017 boats have the same JL AUDIO tower can speaker / Illumination cable used for tower cabling as standard??? This would make the RGB LED connection really easy.)
3. Mount the Blast RGB LED speaker light rings for the interior JL Audio speakers
4. Install the JL Audio MHD600/4 4 channel amp for the tower speakers and the cockpit speakers and reconfigure the dash tweeters to individual channel on the M800
5. AQUAMARINEDECK interior installation
6. Add protective film as with my 2015 X23 to the transom area and swim platform to have protection against board rash
7. 20% tint the windshield
8. Some decal work on the sides & REGO numbers
9. Sand the fiberglass swim platform edges in a 45 degree angle as from the factory they come razor sharp.

Interesting to see whether I will be still excited when I am doing it or wish I had never started it So far I only have majority of my parts ready as I am still missing the boat. Couple more weeks to go...

moosehead
04-18-2017, 02:21 PM
Nice. Look forward to seeing the new rig. So by ferry, you mean your entire tow rig and boat/trailer goes aboard? We'll need pics of a boat on a boat.

Of course there will be a Stage 2. Other potential checklist items/adds: surf/wake racks, surf sleeve, Cordova MC Cooler, Xtra Ballast, New Soulcraft Surfboard.

wilhelmwake
04-18-2017, 02:24 PM
I started by soldering the color coded wire connections of the RGB LED speaker rings with the JL Audio wire harness which was to my surprise already as standard RGB capable (had the 2 speaker wires plus 4 individual wires). I just hope that MC is using the same cable from around the amp up to the tower speaker mounts. Does anyone of you know this who has taken delivery of their 2017 boat and installed some tower speakers?

wilhelmwake
04-18-2017, 02:36 PM
Nice. Look forward to seeing the new rig. So by ferry, you mean your entire tow rig and boat/trailer goes aboard? We'll need pics of a boat on a boat.

Of course there will be a Stage 2. Other potential checklist items/adds: surf/wake racks, surf sleeve, Cordova MC Cooler, Xtra Ballast, New Soulcraft Surfboard.

I will document our whole journey From Finland to Germany and back for TTers. Yes I will tow my old X23 first from Tampere to Helsinki (180km) and then drive my Cayenne & MC combo in the belly of a large ferry. The ferry will take us then to Germany and it takes 1,5 days. Then I will drive from Travemünde Germany to Hann Münden Germany (375km). Test Drive the boat and maybe surf a little and then do the same journey back. It takes from Thursday afternoon to Monday morning.

So my stage 2 will probably be something else than what you listed as my new boat comes from the factory with Surf / Surf racks, Surf sleeve, Cordova cooler, lead wake bags have been my winter project. I had to learn how to use my wife's sewing machine :) And I am done with Soulcraft boards as I am designing and selling my own wake surf boards --> RAD NORTH...

wilhelmwake
04-27-2017, 10:33 AM
Ok so I am on my way from Finland to Germany to pick up my new x23. This trip takes me from Today Thurdays to next week Monday and our schedule is pretty tight. I am taking my 2015 x23 to Germany and then seapping it for the new one. It is road trip time !!!! I woke up this morning and went to pick up my current boat from the winter storage at 7:45 am, then prepped it for 1,5 hours. Removed all the normal boating stuff and made sure tyres have the right pressures and so forth. As I am writing this we Are onboard the ferry that takes us from Finland, Helsinki to Travemunde, Germany 🇩🇪. We have 1,5 days of leisure on board this freight ferry. I am probably going to treat myself with a massage and yes several wheat beers 🍻. On our way here it was beautiful blue skies and rain, hale showers and soft snow, it is just bloody stupid how bad this spring has been....:(

Strreamline
04-27-2017, 10:39 AM
So cool.

mzimme
04-27-2017, 10:43 AM
Wish I could have a pint with ya! Enjoy the trip.

Prostar 190
04-27-2017, 10:45 AM
Very cool.

Rickyp5569
04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Be safe ! Have a blast.

Tapatalk

Mastercraftdave
04-27-2017, 12:49 PM
That is crazy that yall have to go that far to get a boat, cant wait to see pictures of it and all your upgrades. Also, your pulling an X23 with a Porsche......

wilhelmwake
04-28-2017, 04:58 AM
Wish I could have a pint with ya! Enjoy the trip.

You would be very welcome, but it is hard to keep up with Finns:D

jgraham37128
04-28-2017, 06:00 AM
You guys have the ugliest trailers........ love the boat!

wilhelmwake
04-28-2017, 09:19 AM
In all honesty I have to say That Yes as I do not have alloy wheel and low profile tyres it does not look the best. But if I had the energy to paint it white and buy those wheels it would not only be much more rigid trailer than the US made light weight trailer but it would also look good. The functionally apart of the stupid light bar in the back and drum brakes is actually better than the functionality of the US made trailers. This particular trailer is solid as and it is much more forgiving to the boat hull with a roller system compared to the bunk only system. And it is fully galvanized.

moosehead
04-28-2017, 09:49 AM
Congrats WW, have a great trip home. Looking forward to the unveiling and first splash.

Where are pics of said Rad North boards? Where does one apply to be your North American rep?

jgraham37128
04-28-2017, 10:06 AM
I'm seeing a red stripe on the boat. Are you sure you got the right boat?

MC25
04-28-2017, 10:19 AM

His old one

wilhelmwake
04-28-2017, 10:21 AM

That is my current boat 2015 x23. Still on the ferry currently. In 5 hours we will start our drive south to the German mc dealer and tomorrow we will swap the boats. I will post pics of the test drive and other stuff for ya.

wilhelmwake
04-28-2017, 10:25 AM
Congrats WW, have a great trip home. Looking forward to the unveiling and first splash.

Where are pics of said Rad North boards? Where does one apply to be your North American rep?

We will need to talk business:D

Stefan
04-28-2017, 11:44 AM
You guys have the ugliest trailers........ love the boat!

Yeah but they won't rust like the original ones ;)

You guys have an safe and awesome trip while we spend some time in Portugal :)

CottagerGreg
04-28-2017, 11:48 AM
You guys have an safe and awesome trip while we spend some time in Portugal :)

I was there last month in the Algarve and back in September actually. Lucky there are direct flights from Toronto to Lisbon, Faro

Timr71
04-28-2017, 11:48 AM
This is fun to watch. Keep posting pictures and travel safe.

jbmccul
04-28-2017, 01:01 PM
I was there last month in the Algarve and back in September actually. Lucky there are direct flights from Toronto to Lisbon, Faro

I was in Frankfurt a couple of weeks ago, cold and rainy

wilhelmwake
04-28-2017, 03:21 PM
Rainy arrival to Travemunde Germany 🇩🇪

Upnorth07
04-28-2017, 03:50 PM
That is an EPIC trip with an EPIC purchase!

So jealous!

TassieMC
04-28-2017, 07:31 PM
I thought it was a big deal buying a boat in Tasmania, but compared to you mine wasn't so bad, except for one big snag. We had to fly interstate to view, test drive etc and ended up testing different boats in three different states. We have overnight ferry trips each way as well but we can comfortably do a turn around in three days. I hit a snag when the Melbourne wharfies went on strike the day my boat arrived from the US and I ended up having a weekend away with no boat to bring home. It all makes the whole process that bit more memorable though. Enjoy your trip and I look forward to seeing the new boat.

wilhelmwake
04-29-2017, 02:30 AM
Ok good morning everyone. We had a great German breakfast and now we have still 244km to go before the boat swap and eyeing all the other wonderful MC products. Well this gasthof Menke was certainly a nice place to sleep a bit.

lashburn1
04-29-2017, 05:55 AM
Can't get enough of this trip. Epic!!!!
Have fun, don't forget your boat:)

jgraham37128
04-29-2017, 06:28 AM
I love all the USA mode products in the pics!

2RLAKE
04-29-2017, 08:01 AM
Love the journey ... thanks for sharing and cant wait to see more pictures

Brandon1975SS
04-29-2017, 08:10 AM
So the guy I took my boat to wants to lift my boat off the trailer using nothing but the trailer eye bolt and the rear tie downs... think it will snap something? 75 MC

landshark
04-29-2017, 09:46 AM
So the guy I took my boat to wants to lift my boat off the trailer using nothing but the trailer eye bolt and the rear tie downs... think it will snap something? 75 MC

Recommended lifting procedures should be in manual. Wouldn't stray from those! Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wilhelmwake
04-29-2017, 05:27 PM
Ok Guys, I did not get a chance to upload an update while at the dealer, but here it is as we are waiting again in Travemunde to get on the ferry that will take us back to glorious Finland 🇫🇮 I am calling my home country glorious, because while we actually are enjoy rather cold but nice weather here in Germany in the meantime Finland got a snow cover. This spring is again one to the history books:confused:

wilhelmwake
04-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Couple of notes from my first impression of the 2017 x23:
1. Yes the new driver's seat is very nice with the reclining function.
2. I really like the new dark aluminum inserts maybe especially because it really complements my color choices overall
3. The new zft4 tower is definitely not a value improvement and There is as much machining in it as in the previous zft4 version. The machining is just different.
4. I Was going to swap my GoPro mount from the 15 to the 17 model, but it does not work without a bit of custom work. I will let you know how to make it happen once I am working on the boat in case anyone else wants to do the same thing.
5. I did just a very short test drive so no surfing or wakeboarding as it was bloody cold, but the new 6000 gdi seemed to have more grunt in it than the 6.2 ops. Also the sound was quite a bit better. When I say better I mean it was a lower pitch powerful V8 sound. This is of course to everyones personal preference, but... it you like the 6.2 sound of the previous gen engines you will love this.
6. One of my personal favorite upgrades that mc definitely should of mentioned are the new bilge pumps. The 2015 had those terrible yellow pumps that were way too sensitive sensing some water, but then incapable of actually starting to pump it out of the bilge. Now these new type pumps are actually even mounted to the lowest point and in the center of the bilge, so I am now really hopeful that they will do what they are supposed to do and not just run and then get broken. So 2 thumbs up to MC for this!!
7. Finally they have sealed the exposed fiberglass in the bilge, so now the water can safely stay there and not start to delaminate anything. Mc might of fixed this already in late 2015 or 206 models, but if you remember I wrote about this with pictures in 2015. Again great MC that you fixed it!!
8. I definitely like the lounge seats over the ones that I had previously, oh my how comfy they are!
9. Why did MC change the battery orientation. In my 15 they left more space in the coffin locker. I might change this back to how they had them in the 15 model.

I will add to the list once I remember and figure out more pros and cons. Love my new boat already more than my awesome 15 model

lashburn1
04-29-2017, 05:58 PM
Sweet Boat!!!! Congrats..Safe travels home, Keep Posting

wilhelmwake
04-29-2017, 06:00 PM
Ok this is not even funny anymore. We have waited for more than 2,5 hours now and still they have not let us in the ferry. Emotions are starting to take the best of [email protected]&&$"££€#%*

moosehead
04-29-2017, 06:12 PM
She looks tremendous. Way to give her a quick splash and romp before heading home.

Upnorth07
04-29-2017, 06:47 PM
Love this journey!

XC500mod
04-29-2017, 06:58 PM
Awesome interior design, I bet the new aluminum finishes look great in that boat. Nice work.

Your devotion to getting a new boat is impressive. I live 14 miles from my mastercraft dealer and get annoyed when I have to drive through some traffic to get there. Your trip really puts it into perspective!

wilhelmwake
04-29-2017, 07:31 PM
Thanks guys for the complements and as you know it is needless to say how much fun it is to see your own design in person for the first time, but.... nothing beats the time that you get her home and get to spend some hours really getting familiar with the new features and details. In my case I have a bit of work to do before she is water ready. I really like doing the little mods to make her my own. But now we are finally in the vessel and started enjoying ourselves. Next stop Helsinki Finland on Monday morning.

Tony Webb
05-02-2017, 07:28 AM
Great pics enjoy the rest of your trip home.....Nice Boat

Mastercraftdave
05-02-2017, 08:18 AM
Great looking boat. the journey is very impressive and shows how much you love not only boating but MCs.

How does the service/warranty situation work?

wilhelmwake
05-02-2017, 05:13 PM
I will continue the writing end of this week, once I have some time to continue working on the mods.
First off, I am home with my new boat. I am very excited to start working on the mods but hate the part when I first need to research everything and then try to find all the specific components to make my plan happen. I love the building part..... well now I am only at the research phase blaaaaah.

I Was trying to figure out a way How I could fit the mhd600 on the original amp tray, but it is tight....

ap77
05-02-2017, 06:01 PM
Always enjoy your posts. Look forward to seeing more photos and write-ups.

Congrats on the safe journey home.

MC25
05-02-2017, 06:06 PM
Great looking boat. the journey is very impressive and shows how much you love not only boating but MCs.

Yeah how does the warranty thing work!!?

moosehead
05-02-2017, 06:21 PM
Can you please post a pic of the amp tray? I thought OEM they mounted them to the interior carpeted wall behind the observer seat?

wilhelmwake
05-03-2017, 04:02 AM
Amp tray problemo

wilhelmwake
05-03-2017, 04:11 AM
Warranty is of course not as fast as for you guys who can TaKe Your boat always to Your Dealer. I need to figure out some things myself and then find local Help If needed and bigger stuff of course figure out with my German dealer. Hopefully I won't experience any major issue. My run with MC boats has been a great one Hence why I like MC products.

Stefan
05-03-2017, 11:25 AM

Yeah how does the warranty thing work!!?

A significant number of the boats sold by Wilhem's dealer, which is my dealer too, stays on bodys of Water outside of Germany, and I've never heard of it posing a Problem.

Some Germans have Vacation Homes by the north Italian Alps lakes as well as in Spain or Croatia and the boats usually stay there for the season or until traded back in.

Stefan
05-03-2017, 04:13 PM
Amp tray problemo

Looks like you need a suggestion 8p

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8562/29909058154_d4b09c11b9_b.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/9/8561/29909056874_bc85f49f74_b.jpg

wilhelmwake
05-08-2017, 04:38 PM
That is a Nice setup Stefan������ but I do not want to start building a custom setup like 440 did for his x23 as currently I do not intend to add a third amp to the System. Also the x23 is in a way a bit harder platform as one really needs to completely replace the original amp tray to have Room for a really Nice Flash amp display. I wanted to fit everything on the original tray as nicely as possible without going all out.

wilhelmwake
05-08-2017, 04:51 PM
So far I am still creating working harnesses for each speaker to get the RGB lighting going. I have still 2 speakers to go and then will have to finalize the routing and mount the music controller. It will probably TaKe couple more nights to complete it. I will leave the ultimate challenge of routing cables for the tower rgd leds for the last. I tried to put a spring down the tower tubing, but the pivot point of the tower seems to be impenetrable. I tried 5-6 different ideas to get the spring through without luck. It just stops there.

Anyone have done this with the zft4 tower and could steer me towards the right direction?? I do not want to take the tower completely apart and if I have to then I just might anodize the tower for the heck of it.

Here are a couple of shots what I have done so far. I will take better pics tomorrow of the amp setup.

wilhelmwake
05-08-2017, 05:30 PM
I already see that some of the pics that I posted are bad and not the final setup, like I said I will. post proper pics of the final setup tomorrow. I found good mounting spots that might be of use to other X23 owners who intend to do something similar.

But here is a list of components I have so far needed for the setup and what I actually am doing:

1. I got rid of the MC factory setup power intake/wiring for the M800 amp
2. I ran a new 0/1 AWG 50mm2 pure copper AIV power wire straight from the house battery with AIV ANL fuse box (150A fuse).
3. I mounted the main fuse using one of the port ballast tank mounts and drilled an extra hole for another fuse box screw to make it really fixed in place
4. I used of course the same AIV 50mm2 power wire for the ground.
5. as you can see from the pics I have used a 20mm in diameter protective tube for all my routings. I did not use a vehicle tube but instead a tube that is used for houses as it is not cut in half and is smooth from the inside. This makes it idea to push or pull cables through it. This is especially nice if I ever want to change some of the wiring as I can just pull a new wire in using the existing on.
6. I routed both the power and the ground along the port side panel and secured them with zip ties so that they are hanging and invisible from eyesight
7. I used an Audition glass fuse box that takes the 50mm2 power in and then splits it through fuses to 2 20mm2 outputs, one for each amp. I used AIV power cable also for the 20mm2 connections for both amps.
8. Main ground goes in an AIV distribution block which was the smallest that I could find as space was my challenge and I certainly did not have enough of it. I managed just barely fit that block in. I then continued with the same AIV 20mm2 ground cabling for both amps
9. I used original speaker cabling for all the speakers. I might swap it at a later stage, but now I want to pout the boat into water ASAP.
10. I am using the original M800/8 v2 amp to power my bow speakers JL M770s (1 & 2 channels in stereo), JL dash tweaters (3 & 4 channels in stereo), bow sub M880 (5&6 channels bridged) and the cockpit sub JL 10" (7 & 8 channels bridged). I am feeding the RCA signal from zone 2 in 2channel input mode into the JL amp
11. Then I am using the MHD600/4 for my JL M770 cockpit main speakers (front channels in stereo) and the JL M880 tower speaker (rear channel in stereo). I am feeding the RCA signal from zone 1 to the front channels of the amp and from zone 3 to the rear channels of the amp in 4 channel input mode into the JL amp. This way I can individually control my bow&tweaters and my cockpit speakers will have more power through the MHD amp plus individual control & an individual zone also for the tower speakers.
12. the 4th zone is then reserved to control the RGB signal strength and feed the signal for the RGB music controller

I will continue from here and tell you about the RGB setup... hopefully I can get you some more finished pics and test the system to see if it actually works :)

lashburn1
05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
How are you getting Power to your AMPS now?
after your Battery switch or right off your Batteries?

wilhelmwake
05-09-2017, 12:30 AM
How are you getting Power to your AMPS now?
after your Battery switch or right off your Batteries?

Straight from the battery

wilhelmwake
05-09-2017, 06:49 AM
By the way as Many of you know the main challenge with these installations is the awkward and tight locations that one needs to get to in order to achieve a certain outcome. I am 6'1-2" and I really am already struggling to get to certain places or out of them once finished.

Stefan
05-09-2017, 07:22 AM
By the way as Many of you know the main challenge with these installations is the awkward and tight locations that one needs to get to in order to achieve a certain outcome. I am 6'1-2" and I really am already struggling to get to certain places or out of them once finished.

That's how I work on the boat most the time tooo :D:D:D

Mastercraftdave
05-09-2017, 08:30 AM
Wow this is a great process I will be following.

I have a question for you, on the 2015s, the Amp is only mounted at two locations and it can flex at the bottom were it isn't tied into the boat. Did they make any changes to the 2017s?

wilhelmwake
05-09-2017, 09:55 AM
Wow this is a great process I will be following.

I have a question for you, on the 2015s, the Amp is only mounted at two locations and it can flex at the bottom were it isn't tied into the boat. Did they make any changes to the 2017s?

The amp tray is rediculous. I gave MAsterCraft feedback about it, but they basically said that they have not received any other complaints about. Well now I am sure they should have. Anyway, I guess the tray is semi ok even though it is secured from only 3 corners. Unfortunately the amp tray is not one of the nice improvements MC has made to the boat since 2015 introduction. There are though many other nice small improvements that I really really value. They changed the yellow bilge pumps that really did not work as they should as an example...

moosehead
05-09-2017, 10:02 AM
extensive and impressive mods with more than appropriate MCOCD blah blah blah blah...but now I want to put the boat into water ASAP..... and get you some action pics of her on the water pulling major surf waves ASAP :)

FIFY.

Alright already with the striptease. Splash her, now. Please.

Mastercraftdave
05-09-2017, 10:33 AM
The amp tray is rediculous. I gave MAsterCraft feedback about it, but they basically said that they have not received any other complaints about. Well now I am sure they should have. Anyway, I guess the tray is semi ok even though it is secured from only 3 corners. Unfortunately the amp tray is not one of the nice improvements MC has made to the boat since 2015 introduction. There are though many other nice small improvements that I really really value. They changed the yellow bilge pumps that really did not work as they should as an example...

I don't get why they didn't make this change. When I add my additional sub I will be modifying this.

My thought right now is to use 3M 5200 to secure a block of some sort to the hull. This secure the amp rack to the block. That's the best that I could think of without going with a whole new rack.

CottagerGreg
05-09-2017, 11:36 AM
I don't get why they didn't make this change. When I add my additional sub I will be modifying this.

My thought right now is to use 3M 5200 to secure a block of some sort to the hull. This secure the amp rack to the block. That's the best that I could think of without going with a whole new rack.

3m 5200 is known to "hold" pretty good :)

wilhelmwake
05-09-2017, 04:01 PM

That might be a solution, but then again It would not really secure it as then the rack would flex with the side wall of the hull. I think in the end it will be fine as it is with the limited weght of amps that one can fit there.

wilhelmwake
05-09-2017, 04:27 PM
ok I must say that this is heck of a process just because weather here in Finland is not really playing ball with me. It is May for crying out loud and the temps could be somewhere in the 65-75 F range, but now they have been for couple days at around 32 F and it has been snowing..... whaaaat. I have to work in the boat with a heater on to prevent from freezing. THe nice thing of course is that I am not missing any nice boating weather. So tonights pic dump of the progress.....

Got some wiring tidied up and routed more of the RGB harnesses to the main switch area where I am connecting all of the individual harnesses with the main RGB harness for the left/port side RGB channel. I still have the tower RGB routing to sort out even though I did put in already a tube so that once I figure out how I can get the cables past the tower leg pivot point it will be an easy task to just pull the left and right tower RGB cables through the tube and connect them with the controller. For the Right /starboard side I am also routing all the individual RGB harnesses in front of the helm area where I will connect them with the right channel main harness which I also put in tonight. Only the starboard side sub, main speaker and both CSY main cabin lights left to put cabling for and then the tower, before I can actually test her out. Still couple more evenings to work with her...

Ok the pics:

wilhelmwake
05-16-2017, 01:01 AM
So I have been working on my X23 every day and finally I have finished all the major items related to the wiring, stereo and RGB led system and it all works like I wanted it to. I solved the tower wire routing problem as well with a cable spring but needed to have the tower in fully up position to be able to push the spring through the tower joint. I will take better pics and post them later.

Then a Question for those with experience with the new cool touch vinyl and slate gray interior. Can I treat them using the same vinyl treat conditioners and cleaners as other MC vinyl?

lashburn1
05-16-2017, 04:15 AM
What's up with the Red cable on the base of your tower?
Is going to be hidden?

kadam75
05-16-2017, 08:19 AM
i believe there is a removable cover plate that goes over that cable routing channel

Stefan
05-16-2017, 08:24 AM
Is going to be hidden?

POWER Tower! :D :D :D

wilhelmwake
05-16-2017, 10:30 AM
Is going to be hidden?

the cover is off still, but will go on there tonight with loctite...

lashburn1
05-16-2017, 11:57 AM
the cover is off still, but will go on there tonight with loctite...

ahhhh...I see the screw holes now....stealth

Stevext23
05-16-2017, 01:23 PM
Cool vinyl cleaning liquid: Do NOT use just anything. Make sure you check first on what's appropriate. I actually cannot recall what to use or not use, (awaiting my delivery so nothing is dirty yet) but I do remember hearing that there are things to watch out for. Maybe someone here can pipe up about that.

hvlx2
05-16-2017, 02:09 PM
I've used 303 - both cleaner and protectant on my black cool feel...had a starter pack of babes seat soap too..works great

agarabaghi
05-16-2017, 02:33 PM
why do you have such a large awg wire going up your tower?!

wilhelmwake
05-16-2017, 04:29 PM
why do you have such a large awg wire going up your tower?!

That RED Thick cable is actually CABLES that are just shrink wrapped nicely by MC, on the port side the RED shrink-wrap holds all the tower speaker cables. you can see in my pics that I also shrink wrapped the RGB left right channel cables with black shrink wrap for the part (about 6") that goes through the tower pivot point. This of course adds quite a bit of rubbing resistance and durability. On the Starboard side MC has used Green shrink wrap and that package then holds all the other tower electrics like speaker lights, forward and aft tower lights, dome light, navigation light.

wilhelmwake
05-16-2017, 04:56 PM
OK little status update, where I am on my list:

1. Blast RGB LED speaker light rings for the JL AUDIO tower cans with M880s - DONE

2. Mount the JL AUDIO tower cans (not sure whether the 2017 boats have the same JL AUDIO tower can speaker / Illumination cable used for tower cabling as standard??? This would make the RGB LED connection really easy.) - DONE
*This was actually not a super easy job, but once I figured out that the tower needs to be totally raised I was able to route an electrician routing spring down from the tower and then use a hook to pull it beside the standard thick red cable bundle it started to come together. There really is very little room in the tower speared mounting points for the excess cable and this was a bit tricky as I needed to cut the wires really short before connecting them with the speaker lights & speakers. But with patience and time it is an ok job to do it by yourself.

3. Mount the Blast RGB LED speaker light rings for the interior JL Audio speakers - DONE
*This was pretty straight forward, but again requires patience and time and stamina to withstand some fiberglass rash as one will need to crawls in the most awkward positions known to man to route the cables and secure them nicely to look like stock or better. I do recommend using solid tubing when routing new cabling in. It actually makes the job easier and makes adding new or replacing existing cable a breeze. I basically routed all the port side tubes to the main switch box on the port side and the starboard side tubes to the starboard side (in front of the helm) electrical connections area and then connected the starboard electrical wires by routing a tube or tubes under the floor to the main switch box compartment. There are ready made gaps or holes for this, so no drilling is required.

4. Install the JL Audio MHD600/4 4 channel amp for the tower speakers and the cockpit speakers and reconfigure the dash tweeters to individual channel on the M800 - DONE
* I opted to use the standard amp rack and just repositioned the M800 to the lower edge of the amp rack, then positioned the MHD600 to the upper right corner and left as big of a gap between the amps as possible to have enough room to see the MHD amp adjustments. This actually worked great. The problem was that I needed to fit a fuse box for the amps, ground distribution block and the RGB Led Music controller on that tray. I managed to leave just enough room to the upper left hand corner of the tray to make my initial plan executable. Again the most difficult thing with this job is to first figure out all of the cabling and measure which cables will need to be replaced for length and so forth. another difficult thing is the terrible working ergonomics. Having a very capable and tiny wife or girlfriend would greatly help here .

5. AQUAMARINEDECK interior installation - NEXT IN LINE

6. Add protective film as with my 2015 X23 to the transom area and swim platform to have protection against board rash - NEXT IN LINE

7. 20% tint the windshield - This should be done on Thursday or Friday

8. Some decal work on the sides & REGO numbers - This should be done on Thursday or Friday

9. Sand the fiberglass swim platform edges in a 45 degree angle as from the factory they come razor sharp. - NEXT IN LINE

10. DIP HER IN THE LAKE --------------------------> If things go accordingly the plan is to be boating on Saturday morning

I will post pics of the boat and the light system once she is in the water and it is night time

wilhelmwake
05-19-2017, 01:54 AM
Today we will be doing winshield tinting and hopefully all the decal work. But here a pic of the skulls that I bought to protect her from those other boats and nasty docks. Fender porn. They sleep in their coffin😁

wilhelmwake
05-19-2017, 09:18 AM
And let the tinting and decal work shop begin...

wilhelmwake
05-20-2017, 10:34 AM
She is swimming finally and Yes the new gdi power plant has very nice snappy power Vs the previous gen 6.2. All of the 2015 x23 settings seem to work perfectly for wake board and surf wake settings.

wilhelmwake
05-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Then couple of tips for x23 owners and owners of any other gen2 equipped mc model with extra fat sacs in the rear. I highly recommend wrapping the rear hard tank ballast over flow tubes as they will rub holes to the fatsacs from repeatedly filling and emptying the sacs. The hard tank over flows have sharp edges in them that should be wrapped with something soft. I did it the this way.

Rickyp5569
05-21-2017, 06:03 AM
Then couple of tips for x23 owners and owners of any other gen2 equipped mc model with extra fat sacs in the rear. I highly recommend wrapping the rear hard tank ballast over flow tubes as they will rub holes to the fatsacs from repeatedly filling and emptying the sacs. The hard tank over flows have sharp edges in them that should be wrapped with something soft. I did it the this way.

Thanks for heads up.
What are your 2015 Settings ?

CBA
05-21-2017, 09:51 AM
Great Story.... Thanks for sharing

Huskie05
05-21-2017, 10:20 AM
Very nice build and thank you for sharing, wow!

wilhelmwake
05-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Aqua marine decking is now finished and I have 6 hours in the boat. I think I am pretty much done with the mods for now. The sound system absolutely rocks IMO the RGB led show is just awesome, but I probably get to use it only very little as in Finland the days during summer are just looooong.http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

Mastercraftdave
05-22-2017, 08:22 AM
looked the way everything turned out. All of your hard work was worth it.

wilhelmwake
05-22-2017, 09:04 AM
looked the way everything turned out. All of your hard work was worth it.

Thanks Dave! I really love the new boat and again have to say That MC has done Many Many more changes and improvements than what they communicate in their Marketing material.

Also I was surprised that they are now using Ronix sacs instead of the flyhigh sacs as the gen2 sacs. At least the fittings say eight.3 and Ronix in them.

kadam75
05-22-2017, 11:23 AM
to add to the Mastercraft/ronix relationship, it was hinted at our boat show back in January that Mastercraft was getting "in bed" with ronix. That is apparent to me when i go into my local MC dealer to look at there board selection which is very ronix dominate in my opinion.

wilhelmwake
05-22-2017, 04:56 PM
I am all about done with the planned mods now so I thought that I will post the list here once again and add few small items to the list as well in the end :) but I have to say that even though it was a couple of weeks work after my day job it was fun and I learned quite a bit about the new boat. Eg winterized the boat as it was below zero Celsius here in Finland while I was doing the build.

2. Mount the JL AUDIO tower cans (not sure whether the 2017 boats have the same JL AUDIO tower can speaker / Illumination cable used for tower cabling as standard??? This would make the RGB LED connection really easy.) - DONE
*This was actually not a super easy job, but once I figured out that the tower needs to be totally raised I was able to route an electrician routing spring down from the tower and then use a hook to pull it beside the standard thick red cable bundle it started to come together. There really is very little room in the tower speared mounting points for the excess cable and this was a bit tricky as I needed to cut the wires really short before connecting them with the speaker lights & speakers. But with patience and time it is an ok job to do it by yourself.

3. Mount the Blast RGB LED speaker light rings for the interior JL Audio speakers - DONE
*This was pretty straight forward, but again requires patience and time and stamina to withstand some fiberglass rash as one will need to crawls in the most awkward positions known to man to route the cables and secure them nicely to look like stock or better. I do recommend using solid tubing when routing new cabling in. It actually makes the job easier and makes adding new or replacing existing cable a breeze. I basically routed all the port side tubes to the main switch box on the port side and the starboard side tubes to the starboard side (in front of the helm) electrical connections area and then connected the starboard electrical wires by routing a tube or tubes under the floor to the main switch box compartment. There are ready made gaps or holes for this, so no drilling is required.

4. Install the JL Audio MHD600/4 4 channel amp for the tower speakers and the cockpit speakers and reconfigure the dash tweeters to individual channel on the M800 - DONE
* I opted to use the standard amp rack and just repositioned the M800 to the lower edge of the amp rack, then positioned the MHD600 to the upper right corner and left as big of a gap between the amps as possible to have enough room to see the MHD amp adjustments. This actually worked great. The problem was that I needed to fit a fuse box for the amps, ground distribution block and the RGB Led Music controller on that tray. I managed to leave just enough room to the upper left hand corner of the tray to make my initial plan executable. Again the most difficult thing with this job is to first figure out all of the cabling and measure which cables will need to be replaced for length and so forth. another difficult thing is the terrible working ergonomics. Having a very capable and tiny wife or girlfriend would greatly help here .

5. AQUAMARINEDECK interior installation - DONE and only takes about 2-3 hours to complete from start to finish.

6. Add protective film as with my 2015 X23 to the transom area and swim platform to have protection against board rash - DONE
*did the whole transom area with the German foil called ORAFOL which is a really high quality stone guard and which I highly recommend. You only need some dish wash liquid in a spray bottle mixed with water, and a heat gun set to 110 Celsius and a soft scraper to get rid of the air once you attach the foil. You will also need to make the patterns using a transport foil or copy foil or what ever it is called in London. Once you have made the the patterns and have cut the pieces you spray a lot of the liquid on the area you want to protect and the sticky side of the foil and then place the foil in place and then position it where you want it. then start scraping the air and liquid off by scraping on the foil starting from the highest position. At the same time use the heat gun to shrink the foil into form.

7. 20% tint the windshield - DONE

8. Some decal work on the sides & REGO numbers - DONE
9. Sand the fiberglass swim platform edges in a 45 degree angle as from the factory they come razor sharp. - DONE

10. DIP HER IN THE LAKE --------------------------> If things go accordingly the plan is to be boating on Saturday morning- DONE

11. Find a location to mount my HULA girl dashboard figure --> adds to the fun factor

12. mount battery charger quick couplings to the battery - DONE

13. post more pics of her in the lake - INCOMPLETE

If you have anything to ask concerninig the install, please let me know and I will try to answer and help.

Oh btw I think the RCA connection instructions are wrong that I posted earlier. I had the zones mixed up and had to switch them around a bit. New very little distortion noise from the MHD 600 amp install, so I would not let that stop anyone from adding MHD amps on their new MCs.

moosehead
05-22-2017, 05:11 PM
Will need a smaller version of that new Rad North sticker for the hull or windshield, please and thanks.

She looks tremendous T, nice work. Approve of the hula girl though she may be cold in the northern latitudes.

wilhelmwake
05-29-2017, 10:32 AM
Some shots of her in the water but Unfortunately weather was not That great, so will need to TaKe pics when the sun hits all the flake. In the meantime...

CottagerGreg
05-29-2017, 12:08 PM
Great photos! Cannot wait to see it in the sun!

wilhelmwake
05-29-2017, 01:09 PM
I am a total amateur wakeboarder but wow that wake is sooo nice even without any ballast. Weather is going to go cold again here in Finland after some really nice couple of weeks (I only tried my wakeboard once with my 2015 X23 and at that time I really did not pay too close attention to the wake form as I was just trying to have a blast :), so in a way this was my first time wake boarding the wake truly). I was going to start surfing it this week as I just yesterday finished my break in period, but to my luck weather does not obviously think I should have fun :(

wilhelmwake
05-29-2017, 01:12 PM
Will need a smaller version of that new Rad North sticker for the hull or windshield, please and thanks.

She looks tremendous T, nice work. Approve of the hula girl though she may be cold in the northern latitudes.

I will get you those decals absolutely, just tell me the size and color combo.

MC25
05-29-2017, 01:29 PM
What is rad north?

wilhelmwake
05-29-2017, 01:32 PM
[QUOTE=MC25;1344123]What is rad north?[/QUOTE

PM sent