PDA

View Full Version : X10 Surf Speed Problems

XC500mod
04-16-2017, 08:23 AM
I've got a 2015 x10 with the 5.7. We were out yesterday for the first trip of the summer and the boat was struggling. I've got the bigger rear locker wake maker bags that are about 750-800 lbs each. We had seven bigger guys and a full cooler, so quite a bit of weight but nothing extreme.

When not surfing the boat planed off fine, held speed, drove and handled like it did last summer. When trying to surf the boat would not hold speed. When put on any surf profile, it wouldn't make it up to speed 10.7 - 12 mph. It would maybe hit 10.5 mph and then over 30 seconds the boat would eventually slow down to 9.0- 9.3 mph and the surf wave would completely wash out. The boat knew it was going slower than the set profile speeds because the actual speed was red. I tried altering every variable over a half hour or so and the boat refused to hold a surf speed.
After a lot of frustration I had two of the guys go to the bow and then it would finally hold a speed.

What i don't understand is why would the boat not hold a speed with everyone sitting in the main cockpit? It held speed fine last season with more people in the boat and everyone sitting in the main cockpit. Usually I have people sitting in the bow to lengthen the surf wave, not to make the boat function correctly.

Has anyone else experienced this?

I'm a bit paranoid because I had a 5.7 with 50 hours blow up last year, it needed a whole new engine. My boat now has 60 hours and i'm wondering if this engine is headed the same way.

FourFourty
04-16-2017, 08:53 AM
Well, the problem is definitely that you are way too rear heavy. I know enough about the x10 to know that. I have set them up a couple times for surf seminars. If you up the rear bags to 750s, and don't add bow weight, they like to get stuck off plane, and have a short, steep, washy wave.

It's possible you have auto launch off right now, and that's why it won't come up to speed when you are so overweighted in the rear. Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with the boat. Even if it has come out of the hole and maintained speed in the past, it is a fine line on an improperly weighted boat. Set your weight up correctly and it will be fine..... not to mention, your surf wave will be much better.

You need 300-400 lbs of lead, or a ballast bag in the bow, when you have 750s in the back. Do that and you'll be all set. We would run 300lbs of lead for our surf seminars and just leave it in there.

XC500mod
04-16-2017, 09:25 AM
Hey 440 thanks for getting back to me so quick, i appreciate you're knowledge.

Well, the problem is definitely that you are way too rear heavy. I know enough about the x10 to know that. I have set them up a couple times for surf seminars. If you up the rear bags to 750s, and don't add bow weight, they like to get stuck off plane, and have a short, steep, washy wave.

Yes I know this, that's why i always have 1-2 people sit up front. We usually end up with 6-10 people in the boat, so human weight gets shifted around by quite a bit.

It's possible you have auto launch off right now, and that's why it won't come up to speed when you are so overweighted in the rear. Nonetheless, there is nothing wrong with the boat. Even if it has come out of the hole and maintained speed in the past, it is a fine line on an improperly weighted boat. Set your weight up correctly and it will be fine..... not to mention, your surf wave will be much better.

autolaunch was on. What's odd is that RPM's didn't increase at all in order to try and hold or increase the speed. Last summer the boat would have increased RPMs to get to the set profile speed regardless of how the boat was weighted.

You need 300-400 lbs of lead, or a ballast bag in the bow, when you have 750s in the back. Do that and you'll be all set. We would run 300lbs of lead for our surf seminars and just leave it in there.

I totally get this, as stated above i shift human weight around a lot. Basically this isn't a post about how to set up the surf wake, i know exactly what you are saying about having the wave get too steep, short, and washed out. This is more about the engine not attempting to hold a given speed that is set on zero off. It's just weird that last time i used the boat, it always held a speed regardless of how much weight was in the boat.

lashburn1
04-16-2017, 10:16 AM
440 is Spot on
I did this in my X30 -5.7 once
and
1 Time in my X46 - 7.4!!!
Had way too much Rear weight.
Both boats were re- propped for extra Ballast.

Also DO NOT USE AUTOLUANCH in Surfing

If you want to keep that weight and same friends ask OJ for Heavy/Extreme Ballast prop for you engine and hull

XC500mod
04-16-2017, 10:32 AM
Thanks guys. Boat is repropped with an acme 1297 I believe. I think I need to talk my wife into a getting an x23 with the 7.4!

Appreciate the info, glowing back out today.

Jonb1822
04-16-2017, 10:36 AM

Also DO NOT USE AUTOLUANCH in Surfing

What's the reason for this?

moosehead
04-16-2017, 10:46 AM
+2, we have 300 lbs lead amidships (below windshield), or may move 100 lbs to bow depending upon crew - X10 with same WM 750's in the trunk. Also tend to surf 10.7-10.8 MPH as we prefer steep and long, faster if you want even longer but lose some height.

If xtra ballast all in the transom with crew in main cabin she just runs nose high and finds it hard to stay on plane with the hull at that angle to the waterline.

You're good.

lashburn1
04-16-2017, 11:15 AM
What's the reason for this?

Auto Launch(and triple tab AutoLaunch) is intended to get boat up on a plane with minimal bow rise and under heavy loads.

it does not release in some cases, until after you have reach Surf Speeds.

This may cause boat / Surf wave to misbehave as the TABS are fully deployed.
Auto Launch Will not Help you when Surfing.

You CAN, manually deploy CENTER TAB , While in SURF (right or Left) mode if you need help getting to SURF Speeds. , you would need to retract back to get proper Wave.

I went back and forth playing with it... moved some lead a bit forward instead.
Boat INHALES FUEL with too much rear ballast as well.

moosehead
04-16-2017, 11:19 AM
^Only time we use AL is with beginners as it holds off in building surf wave giving them xtra time to get up and stay out of the wake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scoobdog23
04-16-2017, 02:07 PM
X23 with 6.2 liter

We did have an issue this past summer that occurred a couple of times when surfing. I think what happened is that the auto launch did not disengage and therefore the wave would not take shape at all. We tried a couple of times and finally had to shut down the key and kill the main power to reset the computer and then it worked.

Another issue that happened once was when we had 7 people in the boat and one surfing. The RPM was above 4000 when normally the engine runs at 3200-3300. Again it seemed to be related to the surf tabs and auto launch? I disabled everything on the fly and then enabled Surf Steep right and finally the RPM reset to normal levels.

Fuel consumption seems higher than expected when surfing. I know the boat is heavy and it has 3000 lbs of ballast but the engine runs at the 3200-3300 rpm compared to our neighbors Nautique boat weighted slightly less running at 2600-2700rpm. Probably prop sizing would change things for better fuel consumption?

Bottom line I agree that when surfing leave the Auto Launch off.