PDA

View Full Version : Fuel pump?

lakejimmyjon
04-16-2017, 07:43 AM
I was looking at buying a 2000 Prostar a couple of years ago and the seller said he had replaced the fuel pump twice because he had let the fuel tank get down close to empty. He said he never went below a quarter tank after that so no problems. Is this usual for that year PS? It was a 310 Preditor.

gwozhog
04-16-2017, 10:34 AM
Fuel pumps for these boats are complete garbage. Luckily they are cheep and easy to replace. There is an easy fix for it though. Don't run out of gas. I would definately not talk myself out of buying a boat because the previous owner replaced the pump. I would be glad it has a newer one. Don't ever use the cheep hose clamps. Use the pex crimps clamps3/8" which can be purchased at any lowes or Home Depot.

jgraham37128
04-16-2017, 10:42 AM
Yes very common. I believe it's the design and it needs time to pressurize before starting the engine. If you turn the key to the on position and give it three seconds it will prime. I changed one out on my 2010 X2 around 175 hours, I sold it at 470 and never replaced another one. I feel because I would let the fuel pump pressurize before I tried to start it.

Fast forward to 2016 X23 you turn the key on and then press the start button so it's doing the exact same thing it takes a few seconds to go from the key to the start button.

Again this is my opinion and it may be wrong, but I didn't have anymore fuel pump problems once I changed to this method.