PDA

View Full Version : Transporting boat lift

jessz71
04-12-2017, 01:05 PM
I am looking to move a boat lift that I got and was thinking of using a drop down pontoon trailer to move it about 30 miles. Anyone ever do this or am I just crazy. Was thinking it eliminates the need to lift it on and off a trailer.

spenchey
04-12-2017, 01:08 PM
Just bought a used lift for my xstar, they are going to charge me about $300 to move it less than 5 miles

MC25
04-12-2017, 01:10 PM
CottagerGreg transported his using a uhaul auto transport and some wood.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=78014

Snipe
04-12-2017, 01:30 PM
I am looking to move a boat lift that I got and was thinking of using a drop down pontoon trailer to move it about 30 miles. Anyone ever do this or am I just crazy. Was thinking it eliminates the need to lift it on and off a trailer.

I think I might give that a shot. Just make sure you keep the center of gravity as low a possible and slow around corners, especially if they are banked. If the legs fit outside the wheel wells, keep them as low as you can without hitting the road and run the bunks up to accomplish that. Some how ratchet strap them in place and give it a shot. Just take your time, depending on the kind of road you have to travel, 30 mi. ain't that far. Slow is the key as the wheels on that trailer are pretty close together. Good luck

ryancassidy
04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
I've seen the above (what Aric) posted a few times. It works well with the floating type boat lifts. My neighbor did it actually from TX to GA and it worked great.

Will your lift installer move it for you? They probably have the flatbeds, trucks etc for it. For example, Mine loads them onto the front of his tri-toon work boat at his shop and then drops the whole thing in the water at the ramp.

slalomjunkie
04-12-2017, 01:52 PM

I got lucky on my lift - I bought a used lift that had never been used or installed. I took it completely apart and ratchet strapped it down to the bed of my truck, tied a red flag to the protuding pieces. Not the best setup, I admit, but shipping was not an option and neither was renting a trailer.

If I had my empty MC trailer, I would have used that and a couple of 3/4" 4x8 sheets of plywood and strapped it to that instead.

Ben
04-12-2017, 01:59 PM
Freestanding lift?
Drop down trailers are narrow. If you can keep the trailer low, may be ok. I'd be worried about high CG.
Can you use your boat trailer instead. They work well.

jessz71
04-12-2017, 02:32 PM
It's a freestanding lift and I know they used a car hauler to move it before but it's to much driving around if I can make the pontoon trailer work. I have to go check it out but it won't be for a couple of weeks and wanted a plan in mind. Worst case I could always hire someone but seems like that is never a reasonable option. thanks for the input

04 Star Rider
04-12-2017, 07:09 PM
U haul car trailer is how I did mine. Adjust the legs high enough to back under then lower it down.

2RLAKE
04-12-2017, 08:07 PM
yes my buddy at the lake has used his pontoon trailer several times for this ... works well

SWELL Wakesurf
04-12-2017, 09:03 PM
Pontoon trailer I would think would be way too narrow. If it has a canopy I'd be scared it'd tip on the slightest turn. I see your in St. Paul, snowmobile trailers work great.

SS LS1
04-12-2017, 09:23 PM
Our local MC dealer uses a Karavan snowmobile trailer. Raise lift up on the legs, back trailer under, rest on trailer, raise legs up off ground and ratchet strap to trailer.

Rocketboy
04-12-2017, 09:33 PM
I used a snowmobile trailer. Hauled mine about 60 miles that way and drove 45mph.

1redTA
04-12-2017, 09:45 PM
strap it to the boat and idle

jessz71
04-13-2017, 12:02 AM
I think you guys gave me the perfect reason to get a snowmobile trailer. Once I get that then comes a new sled to utilize the trailer. Better do this before I get married in two weeks before she can say no.

JohnnyB
04-13-2017, 01:12 PM
moved many on open flatbed snowmobile trailer.

Always bring along chucks a bunch of 1ft 4x4 timbers to block above the side frames as necessary and than overuse ratchet straps to make sure they don't move.

have bought and moved at least 3 this way

barefoot
04-13-2017, 02:05 PM
I moved mine ~40 miles with a pontoon trailer. Wasn't an issue. Strap it to the trailer and go. I put the rear pads about a foot from the road in case it tipped. My though was it would skid on the pads instead of tip over.

If you have a canopy, make sure you don't surpass the height limit for power lines.

djdj68
04-13-2017, 02:13 PM
I have moved both stationary lift and floating lift with a utility trailer. Both of the trips where over 100 miles. Make sure everything is strapped down and you map the route for the least amount of traffic.

Coach Mike
04-14-2017, 04:18 PM
Yep, four of us lifted it onto the boat trailer, strapped it down real tight and drove it about 20 miles. No problems.