PDA

View Full Version : Starter for 205v

ls1gto
04-11-2017, 10:43 PM
Hey guys it seems the starter on my 2000 205v with ltr motor went out and I was wondering if anyone could point me to a correct part number? I was hoping to just order a new arco marine starter online but not sure what is the correct part number. A lot of them seem to look very similar.

The only writing I see on the starter I pulled out is delco remy nh-10. I tried to search for that and came up empty handed. Not sure if this is an old part number that has been renamed or what...

I dropped the boat in the water for the first time this year. Turned the ignition on, everything seemed okay. I turn to start and nothing. Tried again a few times and everything went dark. Take a look at my battery and my negative post was melted off... never seen that before. So I got new battery and it is sparking when I turn the key to start. So I took the starter to autozone to see if they could bench test and they say their machine shows it failed whatever that means. So that is where I am at now.

Tsumi
04-11-2017, 11:54 PM
These boats use the standard Chevy 350 engine, so any starter made for modern small block Chevy 5.7 L engines should work, even car ones. It is advisable to use a marinized version though, as the marinized version has anti-sparking safety built into it if I recall correctly. Alternatively, you might be able to get it rebuilt at an alternator shop, but I'm not entirely sure.

I would start looking here: http://www.skidim.com/Starters/products/1030/

Olaff
04-13-2017, 10:20 AM
Are the V-drives reverse rotation (compared to automotive) like the direct drives are?

Shaun R
04-13-2017, 11:22 AM
Any marine grade 350 starter will work, do not use an automotive one as they are not grounded the same. I could not find one for my LT1 and used a part number from a Mercury350 and it worked just fine. Rotation is the same.