PDA

View Full Version : What is this in my boat?

tex599
04-11-2017, 08:59 PM
This piece of pvc pipe, has a wire and is heavy, located under the passenger seat. Can't trace where the wire goes yet. Just curious if anyone knows what it is. I was thinking maybe the radio antenna. Just bought the boat, so going through everything.

lsupcar
04-11-2017, 09:21 PM
Pipe bomb?
For fishing?

jgraham37128
04-11-2017, 09:23 PM
Not factory part.

2RLAKE
04-11-2017, 09:40 PM
how about a homemade cover pole?

jakethebt
04-11-2017, 09:49 PM
No clue. Wonder what it is wired to?

93Prostar190
04-11-2017, 09:58 PM
Maybe that got left in the boat but someone before made a few of those as ballast to level boat for slalom when only using a driver?

Cheap,ballast?

tex599
04-11-2017, 09:59 PM
It almost looks like a homemade dehumidifying rod, like you would use in a gunsafe. But those are made of metal and get hot. It does sort of resemble a pipebomb. Hopefully tomorrow I can trace to see where that wire goes.

lsupcar
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
Oh, I missed that the wire was connected to something.

jakethebt
04-11-2017, 10:04 PM
No clue but a great mystery.

SS LS1
04-11-2017, 10:16 PM
:confused: Kind of looks like one of those boot driers that is basically just a low wattage tube style heater to dry out your ski boots.

neil.anderson63
04-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Call me crazy.. is that an antenna coax going into it? Some kind of home made radio antenna?

jgraham37128
04-12-2017, 04:50 AM
Maybe it is one of those European bilge heaters?

Barefooter92
04-12-2017, 06:40 AM
looks like a boom extension

Sorry, but PVC does not have square caps and welds. That looks like powder coated aluminum to me. Is it about 2'-0" long with a black pvc coated aircraft cable coming out of it at 90 degrees to the end?

tex599
04-12-2017, 09:50 AM
It's just standard sched40 PVC maybe 1" diameter with round PVC end caps, painted black, with a black cable coming out of it. About 18" long and probably about 5lbs.

Shaun R
04-12-2017, 10:02 AM
Light the cord and see what happens.

My vote is homemade FM antenna for the radio.

leadsthebest
04-12-2017, 10:10 AM
I've got something similar in my boat. I think it is an antenna for radio.

Rocketboy
04-12-2017, 10:16 AM
looks like a boom extension

Sorry, but PVC does not have square caps and welds. That looks like powder coated aluminum to me. Is it about 2'-0" long with a black pvc coated aircraft cable coming out of it at 90 degrees to the end?

Looks round to me-

LDA6339
04-12-2017, 10:51 AM
Call me crazy.. is that an antenna coax going into it? Some kind of home made radio antenna?

Any guess will work at this point, thats what it looked like to me.

The Youngster
04-12-2017, 11:31 AM
Is it an automatic "skier down" flag?

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 01:11 PM
That is the Magnet pickup for an automatic timing system like Accuski. Obsolete these days with Zero off and Stargazer. But in the days before speed control, we used those for automatic timing systems to check speed in the course at tournaments (and in practice).

tex599
04-12-2017, 01:35 PM
That makes sense as it is heavy like a magnet. This boat had an inoperable power pass system and the parts where no longer available. So the dealer went ahead and put the new stargazer system in it when I picked it up Friday. I will trace the wire and remove it. Thanks, I knew someone on here could answer the question.

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 01:42 PM
You may have one on each side. One on the passenger side was used for slalom, but there was an option for two pick ups, one on each side, for jumping because the jump course is significantly wider.
For those that may not know How / why it was used I will give a brief synopsis.
In tournament skiing up until the mid 1980's, the boat crew consisted of a driver, a judge, and a boat timer. The timer would ride looking over the side of the boat and start a stopwatch when the boat passed the entrance gates on each end of the slalom course. The time had to be within tolerance, or the skier was pulled at the same speed again. Sometime in the 1980's the course was divided into two segments, Entrance gates through 3 ball, and 3ball to end course. Both times were checked for tolerance. In the early 1990s technical guru's came up with automatic timers. There several different brands of auto timing systems made at the time, and even some home made systems used at some tournaments. My dad was involved in tournament skiing in the 1960's and a guy he skied with had automatic timers using photocells hardwired under the boat lane in 1964, but that is a story for another day. Anyway, A magnet was placed just under the buoy at the end course and 3 ball coming from each direction. There was a stopwatch in the boat tied to the magnet pickups and the times were "automatic" eliminating the need for someone to hang over the side of the boat watching buoys and pressing the stopwatch button as the boat passed. Most sites also placed a magnet at the gates for one ball, so that the driver could see how his speed was between the gates and one ball and increase or decrease before he hit three ball to keep the times in tolerance. I still remember that a 1.68 was actual for 1 ball at 36 mph, so I knew if I cam in at 1.69 I needed to pick it up a little, and if I came in hot at 1.66, I had to soften up a bit before 3 ball. Automatic timing became Mandatory in the mid 1990's, and the same guys who were building the automatic timing systems began to develop speed control systems. Perfect Pass and Accuski were the two major systems. Around the same time as speed control was widely used, maybe late 1990's, "all buoy timing" was used where a magnet was at every boat guide and tolerances were tightened. Perfect pass went to the manufacturers and took the market over as soon as they got the OEM deals with the manufacturers. Accuski (a better pull and better system in my opinion) went by the wasteside as it was only a side business for the guy making them and he didn't have the marketing power or mass production capabilities in place. Enough history lesson for the day.

Stoph68
04-12-2017, 02:07 PM
Nicely done Lottawatta..... Is this a great site or what? :-)

CantRepeat
04-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Great post Lottawatta! Thanks for sharing it with us!!

LDA6339
04-12-2017, 02:26 PM
Thats awesome! Good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leadsthebest
04-12-2017, 02:27 PM
Lott, that's why my boat has one. I just figured an antenna. My boat also has the Accuski. It does not work any more. Any idea how I could update it to Perfect Pass?

slalomjunkie
04-12-2017, 02:31 PM
Maybe it is one of those European bilge heaters?

LMMFAO OMG - you sir win the internet hands down - I am cry laughing right now!

:worthy::uglyhamme:banana::D

maxpower220
04-12-2017, 02:40 PM
I was going to guess a mini power pole for fishing in the tidal area. But what do I know.

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 03:01 PM
@leadsthebest: There is no way I know of to convert accuski to PP.

I had accuski in my 1991 PS190, and switched to PP when Accuski disappeared from tournaments. I was mainly a jumper who needed to be used to the pull from PP at tournaments. One of the big advantages to Accuski was the foot switch. When I said hit it, my wife tapped the foot switch and the boat pulled me out of the water at the same rate, same throttle, every time. I am a big guy on a slalom ski and our lake is short and we start going away from the course and turn 180 into it at each end, so the pull up was key to a decent set up.

leadsthebest
04-12-2017, 03:06 PM
Yes, mine has the foot switch also. Man I wish they were still in business.

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 03:20 PM
@leadsthebest: PM incoming

The biggest mechanical difference in the two systems was that accuski used a servo from RC cars to control throttle, and Perfect pass used a stepper motor of some type. I doubt anyone could convert one system to work with another.

tex599
04-12-2017, 03:37 PM
When I first looked at the boat it had a foot control pedal as well, had no idea what it was for until now. This is a 2001 prostar 209, so what year did they stop making the accusystem? Someone had asked how you replace it, the dealer just ripped out the old accusystem and installed the new perfectpass stargazer gauge, gps hockey puck, servo and it looks like a black box under the dash. It looked simple to install.

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 03:42 PM
Thinking about this a little more, with the earlier speculation on what this thing was, I have another story. In 1995, I flew to Florida for the Pepsi 400 at Daytona (my dad had won tickets in a MRN radio contest and my dad and I were big Nascar fans at the time - we got to meet Dale Earnhardt during qualifying). We went a few days early to do some thing while down there. One of those things was to pick up the Accuski automatic timing system I had sent back to the manufacturer to have the second mag pickup installed for Jump. I was hosting the State waterski championships at my lake a couple weeks later and wanted to have the auto timing for the jump event. At any rate, I had the accuski in my carry-on. When it went through the scanner, I got questions on what it was. When I answered they didn't bat an eye and let me pass on through. If I would have that PVC tube with the mag coil in it and a wire going to a control box in a carry-on these days, the airport would be evacuated and I would have been given a body cavity search by a woman named Bruce with big hands!

CantRepeat
04-12-2017, 03:47 PM
Thinking about this a little more, with the earlier speculation on what this thing was, I have another story. In 1995, I flew to Florida for the Pepsi 400 at Daytona (my dad had won tickets in a MRN radio contest and my dad and I were big Nascar fans at the time - we got to meet Dale Earnhardt during qualifying). We went a few days early to do some thing while down there. One of those things was to pick up the Accuski automatic timing system I had sent back to the manufacturer to have the second mag pickup installed for Jump. I was hosting the State waterski championships at my lake a couple weeks later and wanted to have the auto timing for the jump event. At any rate, I had the accuski in my carry-on. When it went through the scanner, I got questions on what it was. When I answered they didn't bat an eye and let me pass on through. If I would have that PVC tube with the mag coil in it and a wire going to a control box in a carry-on these days, the airport would be evacuated and I would have been given a body cavity search by a woman named Bruce with big hands!

She doesn't work at the airport any longer per sa. She got a job working for United pulling passengers off planes for crew travel slots!!! :D:D

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 03:48 PM
@tex599 : From my feeble memory: The accuski timing system was made from around 1991 to maybe 97 or 98, the accuski auto-throttle was made around 96-99 when accuski 2000 was introduced. It disappeared somehwere around 2004 or 2005. Accuski still serviced and sold parts until maybe 2010 or so, at least that is the last time I remember seeing their webpage in operation.

One other thing accuski sold was venturi style pitot tubes. The airguide speedo pick ups were constantly getting clogged. The venturi style were far superior in accuracy, in how fast they reacted to speed, and how much less they became clogged. I still have the venturi style on my 1991 PS190. Not sure if the venturi style were an accuski exclusive, but they are awesome.

Lottawatta
04-12-2017, 03:51 PM
She doesn't work at the airport any longer per sa. She got a job working for United pulling passengers off planes for crew travel slots!!! :D:D

She must have received a promotion!