PDA

View Full Version : Best lake near Nashville, TN

Legacyauto11
04-11-2017, 07:07 PM
Looking at a lake to vacation on this summer. Thinking about renting a waterfront home and taking a couple of my buddies up for a week or so. With that being said, what is the best lake for vacationing on? Looking for good views, easy to navigate, etc. Any input is greatly appreciated!

newbiesurfer
04-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Center Hill in Dekalb County is an amazing lake. Plenty of rentals and one big lake to play on!!

Psgwake
04-11-2017, 07:44 PM
I'm biased, Dale Hollow is cleaner and less crowded. This is great if you want to ride or surf or ski, however if you are looking to party, Center Hill has more to offer. Pates ford marina on Center Hill is rockin all the time and is owned by the same guy that owns Tootsies downtown Nashville. Word to the wise , stay away from old hickory!! If you have any question I'd be glad to help, I'm at Dale Hollow every weekend. Just PM me.

SteveO
04-11-2017, 07:45 PM
I'm partial, but Center Hill is awesome. This place is 2 doors down from me and my neighbor who is a builder and hell of a nice guy built it while he was building his lake house and it's now a rental. The lake has very few private docks, but the beauty of this property is a 2 minute golf cart ride to the Marina that does rent slips by the day / week. https://www.vrbo.com/904684

clrussell
04-11-2017, 09:17 PM
Centerhill. Done.

Round up weekend would be good

FoggyNogginz
04-11-2017, 09:20 PM
I live here, and Center Hill is the lake of choice. It's about 45 mins away, but well worth the drive.

jgraham37128
04-11-2017, 09:26 PM
Center Hill Lake..... get a house close to a marina. You'll find lots of houses that you can see the lake and it will be a 25 minute drive to get to the water.....

flyguy570
04-11-2017, 09:53 PM
I've been to Center Hill a couple times for the round up and have enjoyed the lake. Both times we opporated out of Hidden Harbor Marina and had a good experience. Looks like the house that Steve o recommended is near there. (I might have to rent it for a long weekend this summer)

dhanni848
04-12-2017, 09:50 AM
Cannot go wrong with Center Hill or Dale Hallow. I am partial to Dale Hallow since I grew up camping there. It is beautiful and clear!

If you are looking for something closer to town then I boat on Percy Priest every weekend. All have their opinions, but it is a fairly clear lake and doesn't have logs floating in it all over the place.

MMPRES
04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
Word to the wise , stay away from old hickory!!

I keep hearing this from several people. We used to live there (circa 2002-2010) in a neighborhood just off the lake and it wasn't terrible, but it could get busy. We preferred doing our wakeboarding during the week, and would suffer to find decent water during the weekend. But from what I'm hearing lately, it's a complete $#!t show out there now.

Stoph68
04-12-2017, 02:12 PM
I was on Percy Priest once several years ago with a jet ski... Lake scared the $hit out of me... You need to really know your nav stuff and lake signal bouys before you go there.. BIG rocks just under the surface in many places.. If you know your stuff and be careful it is a pretty lake. Guess this should be a rule where ever you go..

dhanni848
04-12-2017, 03:00 PM
I was on Percy Priest once several years ago with a jet ski... Lake scared the $hit out of me... You need to really know your nav stuff and lake signal bouys before you go there.. BIG rocks just under the surface in many places.. If you know your stuff and be careful it is a pretty lake. Guess this should be a rule where ever you go..

I think we talked about this in another thread haha. Depends on the side of the lake you are on. If you are towards Smyrna then I stay far away from there! Like you said, too much crap to dodge. I would much rather be on Center Hill or Dale Hallow, but I am 15 minutes from Percy.

I grew up on Old Hickory, didn't like it then, and won't go back. $hit show is right. Dodge as sticks and logs as you do other boats.

83MC
04-12-2017, 03:22 PM
I grew up on Old Hickory and still frequent the lake. Dale Hollow or Center Hill are a much better choice. Old Hickory is over populated and full of crazies. Many weekends remind me of the boating scene in Caddyshack.

Stoph68
04-12-2017, 03:59 PM
Yep, Smyrna side is where we camped.. First time out we took the jet skis and headed straight for the nearest visible marina.. Saw all of these white and red poles sticking out of the water and wondered WTH??? Wanted a map from the marina and the guy behind the counter asked where we were camping and what route we got there. Told him we came straight across from such and such campground and he couldn't believe that we survived the trip until he found out we were on jet skis... lol. Needless to say I am MUCH more careful with my boat and I learned a valuable lesson there..

Psgwake
04-13-2017, 06:25 AM
Not only is it busy, the water has gotten quite nasty over the years. I quit taking my boat down there altogether. I got tired of having my prop repaired and my folks even live on the lake.

dhanni848
04-13-2017, 09:39 AM
1. Dale Hallow - many places to camp or cabin
2. Center Hill - camp and cabin around there
3. Percy Priest - if you are staying in town and want a quick trip.