PDA

View Full Version : Corroded hitch pin lock removal

mzimme
04-11-2017, 04:57 PM
Somewhere over the winter I lost the cap on my Master lock hitch pin lock, and this winter's worth of road grime/salt has entered the keyhole and seized the lock. I need to remove it. Don't care about saving the pin or the lock, just want it off of there to go back to the old fashion style with a cotter pin.

I've read a sawzall is the best bet, but unclear as to whether I'm supposed to saw through the lock itself, or just cut the pin.

Any advice or other suggestions?

92 190 PS
04-11-2017, 05:03 PM
Had the same thing happen when I lost the key to mine on a trip.

Sawzall made quick work of the pin with no issues.

Sodar
04-11-2017, 05:23 PM
A good sledge hammer will get it done in a solid blow.

mzimme
04-11-2017, 05:51 PM
A good sledge hammer will get it done in a solid blow.

I don't have a good angle to wack it. I'm afraid I'd put a dent in my bumper.

mzimme
04-11-2017, 05:51 PM
Had the same thing happen when I lost the key to mine on a trip.

Sawzall made quick work of the pin with no issues.

Sweeet. Thanks.

bet_on_black
04-11-2017, 05:56 PM
sorry, misunderstood your issue

Maristar210
04-11-2017, 08:17 PM
Angle grinder is fastest.

Psgwake
04-11-2017, 08:56 PM
Sawzall

Bouyhead
04-11-2017, 09:24 PM
Somewhere over the winter I lost the cap on my Master lock hitch pin lock, and this winter's worth of road grime/salt has entered the keyhole and seized the lock. I need to remove it. Don't care about saving the pin or the lock, just want it off of there to go back to the old fashion style with a cotter pin.

I've read a sawzall is the best bet, but unclear as to whether I'm supposed to saw through the lock itself, or just cut the pin.

Any advice or other suggestions?

Good call on on going old school with the cotter pin. I've never used a hitch lock in almost 20+ years. I do run a zip tie on the cotter pin when I do my Florida runs.

2RLAKE
04-11-2017, 09:39 PM
sawzall or cutoff wheel is what i have used in the past ... <30 seconds with a cutoff wheels

ohhhhh ... and when you see how fast you can cut one off it will make you nervous about feeling too secure with a lock

thatsmrmastercraft
04-11-2017, 11:30 PM
sawzall or cutoff wheel is what i have used in the past ... <30 seconds with a cutoff wheels

ohhhhh ... and when you see how fast you can cut one off it will make you nervous about feeling too secure with a lock

Yeah, locks only keep the honest people honest.

willyt
04-12-2017, 07:33 AM
Whoa whoa whoa.

Throw some PB blaster down the lock and let it sit for a day. I had the same thing happen. Got it off after the first day, sprayed it a couple more times and it's good as new

mzimme
04-12-2017, 09:13 AM
Whoa whoa whoa.

Throw some PB blaster down the lock and let it sit for a day. I had the same thing happen. Got it off after the first day, sprayed it a couple more times and it's good as new

Tried that already. Still can't get the key in.

slalomjunkie
04-12-2017, 09:37 AM
Yeah, locks only keep the honest people honest.

Good call on on going old school with the cotter pin. I've never used a hitch lock in almost 20+ years. I do run a zip tie on the cotter pin when I do my Florida runs.

Apparently, people like to steal 5" drop hitches, so at about $60 for the hitch and ball, I had to lock mine.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-12-2017, 10:23 AM
Apparently, people like to steal 5" drop hitches, so at about $60 for the hitch and ball, I had to lock mine.

I have been pulling trailers for over 30 years and have never had a draw bar stolen. Maybe just luck. If I would remember to take the lock off in the winter I would be fine, but most likely I would forget and be dealing with a rusted lock.

slalomjunkie
04-12-2017, 10:47 AM
I have been pulling trailers for over 30 years and have never had a draw bar stolen. Maybe just luck. If I would remember to take the lock off in the winter I would be fine, but most likely I would forget and be dealing with a rusted lock.

I leave mine on 24/7/365 as insurance - someone hit me from behind a few weeks ago and all they did was eat trailer hitch... I suffered no damage :D

thatsmrmastercraft
04-12-2017, 10:57 AM
I leave mine on 24/7/365 as insurance - someone hit me from behind a few weeks ago and all they did was eat trailer hitch... I suffered no damage :D

Nice!

Maristar210
04-12-2017, 11:07 AM

I had this happen once as well. Chewed up the front of a honda pretty bad but not a scratch on my truck. Kid said hey man let's pretend this never happened ok? I said well technically I'd be leaving the scene of an accident. He said technically I'm ****ed if we don't. (no insurance) I cut him a break and said get insurance ok?

mzimme
04-12-2017, 11:25 AM
I also leave mine on all the time as insurance. I like to back my truck into parking spots most of the time, and having a big hitch back there keeps people from getting too close to me. Additionally, mine's one of those 3 balls with a hook style hitches, so if someone ever hits me to the point that it punctures their bumper, the giant hook will probably take care of ripping the bumper off of their car when they try to back up again. SUCKAS!

slalomjunkie
04-12-2017, 11:33 AM
I also leave mine on all the time as insurance. I like to back my truck into parking spots most of the time, and having a big hitch back there keeps people from getting too close to me. Additionally, mine's one of those 3 balls with a hook style hitches, so if someone ever hits me to the point that it punctures their bumper, the giant hook will probably take care of ripping the bumper off of their car when they try to back up again. SUCKAS!

LMAO awesome. I wished I had one of those this past weekend when I needed the 1 7/8" ball! Cost me an hour RT to the closest wallmart!

I had this happen once as well. Chewed up the front of a honda pretty bad but not a scratch on my truck. Kid said hey man let's pretend this never happened ok? I said well technically I'd be leaving the scene of an accident. He said technically I'm ****ed if we don't. (no insurance) I cut him a break and said get insurance ok?

I did not trade info with the guy but i took a pic of his plates just in case

MC25
04-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I did have someone read end me once, but they hit my car hauler with my GTI on it. Their car was pretty messed up, but they said they wanted to forget about it and we both left lol. Thank gosh for a strong hitch pin in that instance.

Mastercraftdave
04-12-2017, 12:35 PM
Trailer hitch is the best insurance you can buy especially when you have a lifted truck.

Have you tried the WD-40 rust penetration spray. I had a lock that was corroded really bad and it helped my open it up. Just a thought.

clrussell
04-12-2017, 01:32 PM
You can't legally run a receiver in the hitch in some states wothot a trailer.. dumb..

JohnE
04-12-2017, 05:27 PM
You can't legally run a receiver in the hitch in some states wothot a trailer.. dumb..

I've heard that too, just not sure if it is true.

thatsmrmastercraft
04-12-2017, 07:23 PM

Too many cops bang their shin on them. Lol

Custom wheel and tire packages
Rebuilding Holley Carbs $249
Rebuilt complete Holley Carbs $400

mzimme
04-18-2017, 04:00 PM

Is this true in MO?

Thanks for the suggestions. Sawzall took care of the pin no problem. Back to the good old fashion pin with cotter pin.