PDA

View Full Version : Tower speaker use?

jlane330
04-11-2017, 02:26 PM
This may seem like a stupid question, but it's an honest one. When do people use their tower speakers? Do you actually use them much?

This is the first boat I've had with a tower. The PO had 4 tower speakers installed (and poorly wired). I rewired the cabin speakers/sub and used the one amp he had installed for those. I removed the tower speakers for the winter and haven't decided if I want to reinstall or leave them off. If I put them back on, I'll need another amp. I'm honestly having a hard time envisioning when I might use them, and actually feel like they are a target for theft. We don't tie up and party in a cove. If we float around for a bit we use the cabin speakers. I can't imagine towing a boarder with the speakers blaring. Same with surfing. I can see using tower speakers for the primary speakers on a pontoon if there isn't room for surface mount speakers in the cabin. What am I missing? Must be a reason guys are spending crazy money on these things...

I accept that I might not be cool enough :D

MC25
04-11-2017, 02:33 PM
100% of the time the boat is on I use them. I enjoy them, but no one else on the lake probably does lol (douchesuit on)

Jwgredeux
04-11-2017, 03:12 PM
We absolutely use them when boarding and surfing. They (should) project louder behind the boat than into it. Ours are always on. They are especially good for using when on a swim break out behind the boat, much better projection than cabin speakers.

I enjoy them when I am surfing more so than when I am boarding.

kscrib
04-11-2017, 03:12 PM
We use our's all the time. Most of the time the rack mounted speakers add the most value when we are coving and swimming near the anchored boat. On some occasions, we crank it up so that the surfer/boarder/skier can get their jam on while being pulled.

We have music playing (and various volume levels) almost all the time when the boat is in use.

LDA6339
04-11-2017, 03:14 PM
They're great, just make sure they can be turned up separately from the ones in the boat or their use will go down, we ran into this problem on the '03.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JBaker
04-11-2017, 03:45 PM
I do not use them underway w/o a rider/skier. I do use them every time we are pulling anyone that is not a total beginner. We also get a lot of use when we're floating (or moored up with others). As you have probably noticed, it sucks for anyone in the boat when you have your cockpit speakers cranked so loud that they're enjoyably heard while floating. The tower alleviates this. And this is why you even see non-wake boats with transom mounted speakers today.

Anecdotally, I think you are correct about theft target. Family friends of ours own a marina, and they'll tell you the only boats getting broken into are wake boats with tower speakers.

DavidF
04-11-2017, 03:52 PM
always on, always.

mzimme
04-11-2017, 04:12 PM
Use them all the time. I will say that they're much more enjoyable when you can control them with a different zone. I exclusively leave the tower speakers and sub on when swimming or in a cove and out of the boat. There are many times I keep the towers off or turned way down as well. I try not to be obnoxious, but sometimes I just can't help it. Surfing is great, cause I can crank the tunes to the rider and keep it silent in the boat so people can still chat.

Tony Webb
04-11-2017, 06:31 PM
Use them all the time, my 2012 X7 did not have them and it cost Aus $3500 to get the MC ones with lights and one amp, best purchase I made for the boat...kids love loud clear music and so do I...
The only thing I don't like about the new Prostar is that you can't fit tower speakers

gwozhog
04-11-2017, 11:35 PM
I got to admit I always thought they were gay until I bought a boat the came with some wet sounds revs. Now I don't think I could own a boat without them.

jlane330
04-11-2017, 11:58 PM
Thanks for the feedback. Those of you who answered that you use them all the time...why? Does it help you hear when you are driving? Are they not on a different zone with separate volume control? Just curious. I always have the radio on in the boat, but at a moderate level so we can talk and hang out. Some of you guys have amazing systems in your boats...wonder when they get used.

Guess I should at least try them and then decide whether to keep them. Our boating is different than many of you. We camp on a sandy beach for days and moor the boat off shore via an auger anchor. There's always that camp that is playing music late into the night driving everyone else nuts. Sometimes it's good music, sometimes it mariachi. Perhaps because of this I tend to try to keep it down. The jet boats at 6:30am don't bother me :-)

For lack of ever using any, I've always likened them to a boom box in the 80's. Good for hanging out (swimming) and bothering others :D

Gavin
04-12-2017, 12:46 AM
My boat dosent have any rear cabin speakers so if there are people back there having the tower speakers on a little helps make the music fill the entire boat.

Wakeboarding, tower speakers 100%
Cruising, sub 50% cabin speakers 50% tower speakers 25%
Swimming, tower speakers 25%

I'm guessing on the percentages but that's about how I use mine. I have the quick release clamps and I pull mine down whenever the boat is left out to deter theft.

ewilcox11
04-12-2017, 12:52 AM
I bet you'll use them a lot more than you think. When I went to water test our boat the PO turned the sound system on for a minute and then asked if I wanted to hear more. I remember telling him it wasn't a big deal because I didn't know how much we'd use them. We have them on all the time. We almost always have kids with us so it's nice to be able to drown out the A-holes cranking the gangsta rap f bombs, too.

JP-OH
04-12-2017, 09:39 AM
Slight thread jack alert. RE adjusting the tower speaker / in boat volume.. How? I have a factory stock set up in my boat: CMD6, separate amps for 2 tower speakers /in cabin speakers+sub. I find for any reasonable behind the boat volume means the in cabin volume is punishing. I would love to be able to adjust the tower speakers independently of the in cabin speakers and would especially love to do so without installing extra stuff. Is this possible or do I need a PAC LC-1 etc?

dhanni848
04-12-2017, 09:46 AM
Slight thread jack alert. RE adjusting the tower speaker / in boat volume.. How? I have a factory stock set up in my boat: CMD6, separate amps for 2 tower speakers /in cabin speakers+sub. I find for any reasonable behind the boat volume means the in cabin volume is punishing. I would love to be able to adjust the tower speakers independently of the in cabin speakers and would especially love to do so without installing extra stuff. Is this possible or do I need a PAC LC-1 etc?

^^^^^^Good thread jacking! I want to know too. Also, I love my loud music and with that I love ALL music, but I am conservative around others. If we are alone in a cove then I am loud for us to hear it to our liking. If we are not alone then I consider the other people music choice and go from their. We don't crank it when boarding just for safety I guess, just loud enough for those in the boat to get a listen. It sounds like you will not like them. I don't mind other blaring their music.

mzimme
04-12-2017, 10:25 AM

^^^^^^Good thread jacking! I want to know too. Also, I love my loud music and with that I love ALL music, but I am conservative around others. If we are alone in a cove then I am loud for us to hear it to our liking. If we are not alone then I consider the other people music choice and go from their. We don't crank it when boarding just for safety I guess, just loud enough for those in the boat to get a listen. It sounds like you will not like them. I don't mind other blaring their music.

You need one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Sounds-WS-420-SQ-Parametric/dp/B00DNK10HG

Buy it from an authorized wetsounds dealer though, so you get support/warranty. Earmark Marine is a good spot.

Gavin
04-12-2017, 10:30 AM
I do try to be conscious of what, when and what time I'm playing loud music. We do lots of early am sets on a lake surrounded by houses, we leave the stereo off then.

On a Saturday afternoon we'll blast music but I try to avoid things with F bombs and stick to "mass marketable" music. If we're on a big lake and alone in a cove then its more anything goes but w/ great power comes great responsibility :). My tower speakers only get 400 watts and I think they're plenty loud. Some guys have double or triple that. I couldn't even imagine. I can hear the music clearly at the end of an 80' line so that's all I wanted.

I don't know about the your stock system. The wetsounds 420 controller has 3 zones and is super easy to use. Cabin, sub and tower.

It adds another small step to pulling a rider but you adapt pretty quickly. I turn the music all the way down w/ the tower knob when the rider is in the water. Cabin and sub is off. Silence makes it easy to talk to your rider. Then you hit the throttle and after a few seconds when the rider is up and comfy I turn the tower speakers on.

When the rider is down you pull the throttle back and then turn the speakers back all the way down. My wetsounds 420 is mounted by my right knee so my right hand does the throttle and stereo and my left hand steers. Typing this probably made it sound much more complicated than it is.

agarabaghi
04-12-2017, 11:17 AM
just do what i did.

install a rca line level knob (similar to bass knob) on the tower speaker rca and install it by the dash now i can mute the tower or blast it

SS LS1
04-12-2017, 11:42 AM
You need one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/Wet-Sounds-WS-420-SQ-Parametric/dp/B00DNK10HG

Yes, the Wetsounds WS420SQ is awesome, gives separate tower/cockpit speaker volume adjustments and separate bass control also. Can't imagine not having one now that I have used it.

Side benefit is the equalizer also boosts the RCA output voltage so you get a clean signal to your amps even after splitting the audio channels. Plus it has an aux input jack to plug your mp3 player or phone into.

jafo9
04-12-2017, 12:11 PM
ditto on the WS EQ. so nice to be able to turn down the tower relative to the cabin and vice versa.

carlsonwa
04-12-2017, 01:00 PM
I just found this on Amazon. an Exile audio volume control that has either flush mount or surface mount capability. I tried a much, much less expensive version of this last year and it gave me some noise feedback so I removed it.

anyone have any luck with one of these exile models?

https://www.amazon.com/2-Zone-Control-Exile-Audio/dp/B01F67NQAC/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1492016315&sr=1-1&keywords=exile+audio+volume

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41SbD8FQNiL._SX425_.jpg

Shaun R
04-12-2017, 01:09 PM
Problem with the above is you're splitting the voltage where the WS version keeps the save voltage to the amp if not increases it slightly, better sound quality is the result. You also get the option to fine tune the audio quality with the WS and a sweet trucker mic.

Thrall
04-12-2017, 01:14 PM
I opted not to install any additional equipment for splitting tower from cabin speakers, so the only way is to open the glove box and turn the fade F to R. I used rear pre amp ouputs to the tower speakers and front for the cabin speakers. Not super user friendly and the sub is on all the time so that's weird if you turn down the cabin speakers and crank up the tower.
Best done with an add on splitter from one of any sources where it's one touch to change.
Yes we use the tower speakers all the time. They're there. Why not?

moosehead
04-12-2017, 06:26 PM
We use ours for surfing and swimming.

Bonus is they also drown out the Admiral's chit chat when needed.

Huh, what honey? Oh nothing. I love you too sweetums.

BrooksfamX2
04-12-2017, 09:31 PM
always on, with fader switch adjust between tower or cockpit speakers as needed.........

powder877
04-13-2017, 12:18 AM
My amp is only used for the tower speakers. JL audio head splits the cabin and bow speakers. The bow and the tower are controlled together so all I did was install a switch in the signal line that goes to the amp. I can then turn on or off the tower speakers when I like while still controlling the volume of both the cabin and bow speakers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jlane330
04-28-2017, 12:39 AM
Thanks for all the feedback! At this point I am going to run without the tower speakers since I don't have an amp, but will keep them in case we want to try them in the future.

JBaker
04-28-2017, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the feedback. Those of you who answered that you use them all the time...why?

I appreciate the legitimate responses to this in the thread. That said, I see a few clowns driving around the lake solo or with one guy in the observer seat, still cranking the tower. Why? Because he can. And he's determined to show all that he can.

Its like the guy passing you on the highway with his rear seat monitors on when there's nobody else in the car...except less funny and more obnoxious.

jlane330
04-28-2017, 01:28 AM
I appreciate the legitimate responses to this in the thread. That said, I see a few clowns driving around the lake solo or with one guy in the observer seat, still cranking the tower. Why? Because he can. And he's determined to show all that he can.

Its like the guy passing you on the highway with his rear seat monitors on when there's nobody else in the car...except less funny and more obnoxious.

I haven't noticed anyone doing this at our lake over the years, but will have to pay more attention in the future. Doesn't seem like we have many wake boats in general. I see a few towers on I/O's occasionally, but haven't really noticed speakers. The most common boats I see are probably early/mid 90's Bayliners. A running $5-6k boat sells like hot cakes around here :D

2RLAKE
04-28-2017, 07:31 AM
i have always installed a separate cockpit switch so that i can turn off the interior speakers completely and just use the tower speakers

jgraham37128
04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
All the time

swatguy
04-28-2017, 12:39 PM
Mine are only in when we are riding . I see no point in running them all the time . Personal opinion .........there is no need for them to be going unless their is a rider in tow. I am in a smaller lake 90 percent of my time, but that still holds true on the big public lakes as well.

I am all for cranking them in party cove as well but trolling through the no wake channels and around the marina with your tower speakers running is douchebaggery at its finest. I get some people don't exactly have zone controllers but there are way too many other options to fade and adjust things. Not everyone chilling in the marina wants to hear your tunes. Same goes for people trailing you in the channels .

The biggest issue with tower speakers is respect and common sense .......and usually the bigger the system the less the boat owners have from my experience my towers don't go on til 1030am and go mute at 9pm in the summer hours. One rule ALL of us in my riding group have for riding playlists , all riding music is the "edited " stuff for language as well . Party cove playlist is a different story.

ahhudgins
04-28-2017, 01:13 PM
I accept that I might not be cool enough :D

I'm with you. I still have the factory setup in my 95 and it never gets turned on. 90% of the time it's just me and the wife in the boat and we both enjoy our quiet time on the weekends. When we have extra family and friends with us, it's all about teaching new skiers so there is no need for music.

Ever since the Beverly Hillbillies moved in across the cove, things went south. We try to relax on the dock with a radio and all we hear is the music blasting 100 yards away, 4 wheelers without mufflers, and dogs barking.

uplandbird
04-28-2017, 01:24 PM
There are always on in my boat. Not always up loud. But I don't usually turn them off.

If anything, when surfing, we turn the cockpit speakers down.

Very easy to do it though with my head unit. 4 zones right on the display. Can adjust them all quickly and easily.

mzimme
04-28-2017, 02:56 PM

I've been sitting here for 5 minutes trying to figure out what the hell a rear seat monitor is... care to explain?

Edit - Nevermind... I guess you mean rear entertainment screens. Was trying to figure out what you meant looooooool

MC25
04-28-2017, 03:00 PM

didnt know we boated on the same lake.. lol.

I enjoy loud music, as does 90% of the lakes i boat on.. which is why id like to have the loudest. lol

hunter991
04-28-2017, 03:19 PM
If the radio is on, the tower speakers are making noise. Love them actually add to the sound overall. They are really nice when we are anchored and swimming around the boat or on the sand bar.

lashburn1
04-28-2017, 04:16 PM
Cruising....Towers Off,.... Towing, Anchor..., towers on.

JBaker
04-28-2017, 04:40 PM
didnt know we boated on the same lake.. lol.

I enjoy loud music, as does 90% of the lakes i boat on.. which is why id like to have the loudest. lol

Hahaha...at least you've done it right so you aren't cranking up tinny 6.5" cans.

MC25
04-28-2017, 04:43 PM
Hahaha...at least you've done it right so you aren't cranking up tinny 6.5" cans.

And amps that clip every time you hit a wake... haha. That's pretty common here too

buss34
04-28-2017, 07:40 PM
If you don't use them.... I will take them off your hands!

No really, I will take them.