PDA

View Full Version : Heated Captain's Chair Help Needed

Mathewfamily
04-11-2017, 07:51 AM
I am in the middle of a full re-skin, I have the seat heat option and added the pads to the captain's chair and observer seat however I am not sure how to modify the seat base plate to run the wires down to the floor. I assume that I will need a large slot cut out of it so that the seat can be moved into any position without damaging the wires. Is there anyone willing to take a pic of the bottom of their seat to show me what their base plate looks like and where the wires are ran to protect them?

JohnE
04-11-2017, 08:26 AM
On my '08 and '09's with seat heat, the wires just 'drape' from the seat to the connector in the combing pad. Doesn't go to or through the floor.

Mathewfamily
04-11-2017, 10:36 AM
That sounds so ghetto, I have a very hard time believing that MC would allow that of the manuf. floor looking like an after thought. I will not do that, I will run it through the pedestal and into the floor, unseen. Can anyone show me a pic of the "draping" nightmare, maybe I am thinking of something else when JohnE mentions "draping"

Jorski
04-11-2017, 10:50 AM
BrianS did an installation that he documented some time ago....

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=12839&highlight=heated+seat+install

Yooper
04-11-2017, 10:55 AM
That sounds so ghetto, I have a very hard time believing that MC would allow that of the manuf. floor looking like an after thought. I will not do that, I will run it through the pedestal and into the floor, unseen. Can anyone show me a pic of the "draping" nightmare, maybe I am thinking of something else when JohnE mentions "draping"

On the new boats MC does a vinyl match sheath that is Velcro wrapped around the harness. It looks better this way. Your eye hardly catches it.

JohnE
04-11-2017, 11:41 AM

Maybe I didn't explain it well. I'll grab a pic when I can.

Mathewfamily
04-11-2017, 11:48 AM
I do appreciate the article of the added heat seat however his seat sat right on the floor, mine is on a pedestal so I can't just put in on the floor under a loom or I don't want to.
JohnE, I look forward to your pic to help clear up that image in my head, because it's ugly! The image that is, not my head. (my opinion matters too)

Does anyone see any issues with just making a large hole/slot in the seat base. It is about a .25 thick aluminum plate that only has screws in the four corners. I would rather hide it than see a wire.

SS LS1
04-11-2017, 11:57 AM
On my '08 and '09's with seat heat, the wires just 'drape' from the seat to the connector in the combing pad. Doesn't go to or through the floor.

That is correct. In this photo you can see the MC factory plugs for our heated seats, however I don't have the draping power cord plugged in when the photo was taken. You can see the plug dangling out the rear corner of the captain's seat and the power supply socket bulkhead in the lower right side of the boat. The cord wrapped in wire loom drapes between these two connections when installed.

I understand your looks concern and the wiring, however with your captain's chair able to slide fore and aft and swivel I honestly don't see a good way you could run the wires down the seat pedestal to hide them without causing damage to the wiring. Our seat also goes up and down with the adjustable height hydraulic pedestal which would block wires from running down through it.

Love the heated ovservers seat but the captain's chair factory wiring is definately a less than ideal situation both from a looks and usage standpoint. Having only used our boat 4 times I have already pulled the pins out of the seat harness plug twice just by rotating the seat too far for the wiring length that I just have it unplugged for now.

Mathewfamily
04-11-2017, 12:16 PM
After looking at the pedestal that I have, I don't see there being an issue with running the wires thru it with a small hole in the floor in the center of the pedestal mounting area. The swivel and up and down will be no issue. The back and forth motion could be but with a large slot to accommodate the max position in both directions it should be no issue. I will do some trial and error with a loose wire with the pedestal out of the boat. I will post pics of the job when completed.