PDA

View Full Version : Medicine Lake, Plymouth, MN

carlsonwa
04-10-2017, 10:52 AM
Looking for opinions on Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN. If anyone has an insight on this lake.

We are looking at a home for sale in the Plymouth area. I have never been on the lake. We would be launching early in the morning or late in the afternoon, to try to get some slaloming in and some floating / relaxing in the afternoon with our 197.

The one time we tried to launch there last summer, my MCOCD kicked in at the boat launch at French park. Even though it was about 9 or 10am, the wind had already picked up, blowing white caps at the boat launch, I told my wife that the conditions of the lake / ramp were too wild for me to launch. She was upset, but let it go once we drove over to our favorite lake which was much calmer.

Thanks,
Wayne

X7Dave
04-10-2017, 08:59 PM
There is (was a few years ago) a couple guys in MWSA that ski Medicine.
http://www.mnwaterski.org/page/show/3193841-about-us

I have never been on it. I would check the Milfoil situation.

osmonet
04-10-2017, 09:16 PM
Looking for opinions on Medicine Lake in Plymouth, MN. If anyone has an insight on this lake.

We are looking at a home for sale in the Plymouth area. I have never been on the lake. We would be launching early in the morning or late in the afternoon, to try to get some slaloming in and some floating / relaxing in the afternoon with our 197.

The one time we tried to launch there last summer, my MCOCD kicked in at the boat launch at French park. Even though it was about 9 or 10am, the wind had already picked up, blowing white caps at the boat launch, I told my wife that the conditions of the lake / ramp were too wild for me to launch. She was upset, but let it go once we drove over to our favorite lake which was much calmer.

Thanks,
Wayne

Been on that lake a bunch. French Launch can get busy with early fishermen, and with limited spots you may need to wait. Also, I hope they dredged it by the launch within the last few years. Middle of summer with water low it was dicey putting out. Its a popular lake for rec boating and finding good water is challenging some days. IMO you're better off heading to long lake in Wayzata. A bit further, but you have a better chance at water.

Drop me a PM, I may have more options for you. Lived in Plymouth for 10+ years.

starman205
04-10-2017, 09:33 PM
Medicine Lake is my goto lake for early morning free skiing during the week. I usually get out there between 6 and 6:30. Very few boats typically a few fisherman. Southeast and Northwest winds are the worst. Any other direction and you can find protected shore. After the curly weed dies off in the bay on the Northwest side of the lake you have the perfect protected bay to ski in. Weekends are busy though. The point between the double bays on the west side of the lake is where boats anchor and float. Typically around 30 boats on a Saturday or Sunday afternoon. If you can get on the lake by 4PM during the week you can usually get a couple hours of good free skiing. The launch can get shallow near the end of the season but that is not an issue if you live on the lake. There are few areas where there is milfoil. Water quality is fair. PM me for more info.

Lars
04-10-2017, 10:39 PM
hey starman205, do people ever ski in the south west "h" or is that too narrow?

starman205
04-11-2017, 07:14 AM
Lars, We ski either on the west side next to the road that runs next to it, or the bay on the Northwest end of the lake. the turn at the end of that bay is a bit tight but doable. Do you ski Medicine and if so when?

Lars
04-11-2017, 12:43 PM
that northwest bay would be perfect for a course!

Never skied it, usually do all my boating out in chanhassen but I drive by medicine lake every day to work and might have to convince my ski partner that we should check it out sometime.

starman205
04-12-2017, 07:13 AM
Every once in a while on Saturday morning some guys who live on the lake do put a course up in the NW bay. Hope to see you out there some morning!