PDA

View Full Version : Couple of questions on recent boat purchase

tex599
04-09-2017, 11:30 PM
Just picked up a 2001 Prostar 209 to replace my old stars and stripes. The 209 has the Indmar predator engine and while running the raw water pump seems to make a ticking noise and does move in the bracket somewhat. I think that is where the noise is coming from. The wind has been blowing pretty hard the last couple of days, so I just backed down the ramp to check a couple of things and run the engine. Is this normal? The noise is really only noticeable when the engine cover is open. My old boat had the PCM 351 in it with the sherwood raw water pump that made no noise that I know of. This boat was bought from a MC dealer and had everything checked and serviced prior to me picking it up Friday.

Next question is in regards to the perko switch, never had one before. Do both batteries charge when the engine is running? Do I switch it to 1 and use it and only 2 as a backup or do I switch it to both?

Last question, this has the factory ballast system with open/close valves in the back storage area. If I leave these in the closed postion, does that prevent water from coming into the boat? I read the manual and it is unclear. It says to turn them counter clockwise to ensure the check valve is active. But I think that is for when you use them. The dealer ordered new ballast bags and I don't have them yet.

Thanks for the help.

tex599
04-10-2017, 10:29 AM
I think I have 2 of the questions answered, the ballast valves are controlled via a cable according to the flow-rite site. Closed is closed. The perko switch will charge both batteries. when the engine is running.

Trying to find a video of this engine running to see if what I hear is normal, if anyone has a link that would be great.

CruisinGA
04-10-2017, 11:27 AM
Tex
Many Perko switch installations only charge the selected batter(ies) when the engine is running. You need to investigate how yours is installed to be sure.

BAdair
04-12-2017, 09:22 AM
Welcome to the 209/x9 club! We absolutely love ours.

The raw water pump does not make any noise on ours, and we have had two pumps on it since we have owned it. The original pump started leaking around the shaft. During replacement I noticed the mounting bolt on the bottom had broken off allowing the pump some freedom of movement. Way better to be safe than sorry I replaced the pump (very easy job) and held on to the original as a spare.