PDA

View Full Version : Delamination in bilge area

billboat
04-09-2017, 06:30 PM
I noticed what looks like delamination of a layer of fiberglass in the bilge area by the strut mounting plate. Is this something to address or just add some sealant or epoxy to keep water out and move on with life?

You can't see it well in the picture but I've outlined where there's some separation. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170409/509c8e23edb02afaafc492c676e477a4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

waterlogged882
04-09-2017, 08:32 PM
I'd lay in some Marinetex (gray) and run with it. The shaft log area is a little different than the rest of the bottom hull in most all thru-hull boats. The delamination is not necessarily a desired end state but it's nothing unusual in that particular case.

An easy fix.... clean the area, lay in the Marinetex epoxy, make it pUrdy with a nice 45 degree slope finish and call it a done deal. I mix the resin and hardener on an open surface, using a plastic spoon to dip some out of the container, use a proportional amount of hardener, then mix it and lay it in with a popsicle stick. Let it cure overnight and sand it down if necessary. Easy to sand, hard as a rock. I use this on repairing fuel cells (pin holes etc.), fuel pump / filter connections etc., and hole fills. This stuff is as handy as is WD-40 :D .

If you want some nice straight lines, etc along the toe of the fill, put down some painter's tape and go ahead and epoxy over the edges of the tape. Give it a few minutes to start curing, then pull up the tape (test it before you go to yanking on the tape) and you'll have nice straight edges on the fill area.

Split the small container of resin into several uses. One full container is too much for that small area (along the edges), so I use it half and half (resin and hardener) and get up to four or five uses out of one container.

billboat
04-09-2017, 11:25 PM
I'd lay in some Marinetex (gray) and run with it. The shaft log area is a little different than the rest of the bottom hull in most all thru-hull boats. The delamination is not necessarily a desired end state but it's nothing unusual in that particular case.

An easy fix.... clean the area, lay in the Marinetex epoxy, make it pUrdy with a nice 45 degree slope finish and call it a done deal. I mix the resin and hardener on an open surface, using a plastic spoon to dip some out of the container, use a proportional amount of hardener, then mix it and lay it in with a popsicle stick. Let it cure overnight and sand it down if necessary. Easy to sand, hard as a rock. I use this on repairing fuel cells (pin holes etc.), fuel pump / filter connections etc., and hole fills. This stuff is as handy as is WD-40 :D .

If you want some nice straight lines, etc along the toe of the fill, put down some painter's tape and go ahead and epoxy over the edges of the tape. Give it a few minutes to start curing, then pull up the tape (test it before you go to yanking on the tape) and you'll have nice straight edges on the fill area.

Split the small container of resin into several uses. One full container is too much for that small area (along the edges), so I use it half and half (resin and hardener) and get up to four or five uses out of one container.

Thanks. That makes me feel better. I will fill the gap and move on.

Why is that area put together like that? It seems like there's a thin layer of fiberglass put on top of something as an afterthought but I'm sure it is by design.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk