PDA

View Full Version : what does lead in rear or front mean?

dmgimenez
04-09-2017, 05:50 PM
seen this in a few of the older surf threads, but don't know exactly what they are talking about.

thanks

cdstukey
04-09-2017, 06:33 PM
They are using bags of lead pellets for ballast instead of water. Pros it takes up less space per pound. Cons it isn't as adjustable as adding/dumping water. Weight added to rear usually increases wave height. Weight added to front usually increases rideable wave length (pocket).

dmgimenez
04-09-2017, 08:06 PM
They are using bags of lead pellets for ballast instead of water. Pros it takes up less space per pound. Cons it isn't as adjustable as adding/dumping water. Weight added to rear usually increases wave height. Weight added to front usually increases rideable wave length (pocket).

thanks that make great sense. the boat already has some extra sacks that came with it around 400-450 best i can tell. buying another 500 in lead weight will get me to the 650 number i need to be at for best wave. lead will keep me from having to buy new sacks and pumps and can let me move it around easier. also, seems like a good way to add weight and not take the time to fill up sacks. i would love to hear more opinions from guys that have tried both

moosehead
04-09-2017, 11:19 PM
Recommend Lead Wake

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=70151

LDA6339
04-10-2017, 12:26 PM
thanks that make great sense. the boat already has some extra sacks that came with it around 400-450 best i can tell. buying another 500 in lead weight will get me to the 650 number i need to be at for best wave. lead will keep me from having to buy new sacks and pumps and can let me move it around easier. also, seems like a good way to add weight and not take the time to fill up sacks. i would love to hear more opinions from guys that have tried both

Use a little bit of each. Lead is easier in the nose because it is more dense and its smaller up there for us traditional bow guys.

JBaker
04-10-2017, 12:55 PM

Lead only in moderation. Shouldn't be the primary source of ballast weight IMHO. Water is easily dumped, lead not so much. So it can be a pain when trailering, etc. 500 is on the high end...probably higher than I'd want to deal with.

I personally have 100 in the bow. Haven't needed more than factory ballast elsewhere so long as there's a decent crew. Still thinking of best solution when going out with only 2-3 in the boat.