PDA

View Full Version : Heads up on Go Surf Assist GSA...watch your install video!

DavidF
04-09-2017, 09:43 AM
So, got the boat in da water yesterday. All excited to test GSA. sucked! No real wave. Full ballast and 10.6mph with PP. sent pics to Ryan-installed wrong! I didn't do the install. Hopefully my dealer/installer can fix it easily. Has to do with location of top mount and placement of lower bracket on the tabs. Mine are deploying too far down.

CantRepeat
04-09-2017, 10:22 AM
That sucks!! Hopefully you can get it sorted.

ttu
04-09-2017, 10:29 AM
So, got the boat in da water yesterday. All excited to test GSA. sucked! No real wave. Full ballast and 10.6mph with PP. sent pics to Ryan-installed wrong! I didn't do the install. Hopefully my dealer/installer can fix it easily. Has to do with location of top mount and placement of lower bracket on the tabs. Mine are deploying too far down.

been there done that! 1.25 inches from the top of the hinge to the bottom of the bracket. no big deal. my local repair guy fixed it after he installed it wrong and all it took was some exact color spectrum gel coat and all looks new.

ap77
04-09-2017, 10:36 AM
If the tabs are going to far down, is it possible to deploy your tabs at 75% or less? I'm not familiar with GSA, but you should be able to move your tabs anywhere from 0% to 100% and you may find a good surf setting at lower percentage. This is no different than Gen2, where we find the best surf wave at 80% deployed.

ttu
04-09-2017, 10:53 AM
^^gss doesn't work like that once you deploy them they go down but there is micro adjustments you make while underway

FourFourty
04-09-2017, 11:21 AM
If the tabs are going to far down, is it possible to deploy your tabs at 75% or less? I'm not familiar with GSA, but you should be able to move your tabs anywhere from 0% to 100% and you may find a good surf setting at lower percentage. This is no different than Gen2, where we find the best surf wave at 80% deployed.

The problem with the tabs being too low, is that the non deployed side will interfere. That is what messes up the wave.

SS LS1
04-09-2017, 02:56 PM
The problem with the tabs being too low, is that the non deployed side will interfere. That is what messes up the wave.

+1, same thing happened when some dealers installed Gen 2 and hooked the actuators to the wrong hole on the surf tabs.

DavidF
04-09-2017, 03:08 PM
I'm sure my dealer will fix it.

Snipe
04-09-2017, 05:39 PM
Thought I would share 8p

gwozhog
04-09-2017, 06:07 PM
Maybe if they were installed wrong you should be calling out your dealer who installed them wrong instead of Ryan. GSA is a proven system. Or did he do the install?

DavidF
04-09-2017, 06:11 PM
Huh? Who called out Ryan? Ryan is awesome! He's the one who figured out the problem from the pics I sent him!

DavidF
04-09-2017, 06:12 PM
And I'm not going to rag on my dealer before giving them an opportunity to fix it. That's just how I am

Gonzo
04-09-2017, 06:21 PM
And I'm not going to rag on my dealer before giving them an opportunity to fix it. That's just how I am
A good way to be, how many people don't make mistakes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

DavidF
04-09-2017, 06:34 PM
Exactly. Hell, that's the exact reason I used an installer. I'm sure I could have figured out how to do the install myself, but there was no way I was going to be responsible for screwing up my own boat!

DavidF
04-09-2017, 07:30 PM
and to reiterate, Ryan is the best! the dude is hands on, all hands on deck, with helping out. He originally offered, if i didn't like the system, to not only refund my money, BUT to pay for whatever needed to be done to fix the boat back to what it was beforehand. He knows his system is top notch when installed correctly. If I lived back in Texas, I would have taken the boat directly to him for install but alas, I live in the midwest...

DavidF
04-09-2017, 07:31 PM
A good way to be, how many people don't make mistakes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

I don't have a problem with people calling out installers, dealers, etc. when they have real issues that aren't resolved. I've had issues with my boat and my dealer has been fantastic in dealing with them and all of which have been resolved at their time and expense.

ttu
04-09-2017, 07:41 PM
Maybe if they were installed wrong you should be calling out your dealer who installed them wrong instead of Ryan. GSA is a proven system. Or did he do the install?
r
curious, do you have it installed on your boat? Ryan is a great guy but my only complaint is he includes no instructions for the install with the exception of youtube clips. personally I don't call that great.... Ryan said if my installer had questions to call him which my installer did and he did not get back with him till I showed pics of how it was first installed!!! overall yes I a happy with the product but not to supply simply instructions is just a tad short of great

DavidF
04-09-2017, 07:46 PM
The videos are pretty damn good though, I watched them twice to see if i could do it but at the end of the day, I couldn't stomach drilling holes in the boat. My installers actually did email back and forth with Ryan but I didn't really go through the emails to see what they asked etc. They probably eyeballed the install and figured if the actuators go up and down, it works!

CottagerGreg
04-10-2017, 10:52 AM

Bingo!

DavidF
04-10-2017, 10:55 AM
of course my dealer just emailed me to say they installed it correctly...I was calm and told them to contact Ryan for an explanation. Who knows, maybe they did install it correctly...

DavidF
04-10-2017, 10:56 AM
question though, with all ballast full - stock + 750lb sacs in port and starboard, KGB - I assume my swim platform is supposed to be underwater?

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 11:01 AM
r
curious, do you have it installed on your boat? Ryan is a great guy but my only complaint is he includes no instructions for the install with the exception of youtube clips. personally I don't call that great.... Ryan said if my installer had questions to call him which my installer did and he did not get back with him till I showed pics of how it was first installed!!! overall yes I a happy with the product but not to supply simply instructions is just a tad short of great

Just completed an install this weekend on my x45 with the wavecontrol instructions from wakemakers (they send over two sets of printed instructions, one being the simple and one being the full install) and also having ryan's video in hand. I found the video was significantly better than the printed instructions. Also ryan was responding to emails on the weekend within about an hours which was awesome.

MC25
04-10-2017, 11:03 AM
question though, with all ballast full - stock + 750lb sacs in port and starboard, KGB - I assume my swim platform is supposed to be underwater?

Should have gotten the platform brakets as well. Did you? But heat it should be.

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 11:05 AM

Yes - even with the raised platform brackets, with that much ballast your platform should be several inches under water when at rest.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 11:26 AM
yes, got the raised brackets.

mbhaddad - any slim chance you can take a pic of your install - i need to see where your upper mounting bracket it. Ryan says mine needs to be raised up, dealer says it's where it should be...TIA

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 11:55 AM
Yea so on the x45 the picture attached shows where I mounted, this came out to 12 degrees on the downward deployment and something like 30 degrees upward. Also haven't lake tested yet so probably would go by Ryan's word over this picture lol

DavidF
04-10-2017, 12:59 PM
mine...

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 01:03 PM
That looks significantly off if the hull is the same as the 45 back there

DavidF
04-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Thanks for the pic. your upper mount is CLEARLY higher than mine, right at the edge. my guy said with the angle of that portion of the boat, he couldn't get it higher. clearly he's incorrect...or passing the buck. and he hasn't contacted Ryan yet...

DavidF
04-10-2017, 01:05 PM
That looks significantly off if the hull is the same as the 45 back there

yeah, like a good inch or two possibly. have a feeling I'm going to get pissed off soon...ruh roh! And the hull design looks identical to me. your boat is just longer...

ttu
04-10-2017, 01:24 PM
david, have you played with any of the adjustment that come with the tab?

DavidF
04-10-2017, 01:26 PM
I have not yet, too cold to get in the water! but Ryan looked at the pics I sent and even said that it needs to be moved back by one hole, in addition to correcting the upper mounting bracket.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 01:32 PM
mbhaddad, where are you located? and no, not going to ask you to fix my install!

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 04:12 PM
mine...

Your upper brackets are definitely too low. They should be up much closer to the angled transition line in the transom.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 04:14 PM
really? I'll ask ryan. to me, looks to be in the same place as mbhaddad's x45.

MC25
04-10-2017, 04:20 PM
yeah, no thats def wrong

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 04:31 PM
mbhaddad, where are you located? and no, not going to ask you to fix my install!

I'm in indianapolis, the picture posted from an install perspective is significantly lower based on when I was playing around with all the positions a couple inches off like that would cause a huge change in angle's. I would try putting it in position 1 and check the angle before moving but if it were on the x45 that position wouldn't have worked out.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:06 PM
my swim platform is in the same spot as mphaddad's, why is mine wrong? not arguing, just trying to figure out what the difference is. looks exactly the same.

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 05:12 PM
The two dots here show the expected placement which is right at the crease in the transom

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:16 PM
thanks man, that's EXACTLY what the video shows!!!!!!!!! but now I'm concerned everyone is saying my brackets for the swim platform are too low, but it looks like exactly where yours are...and I apologize for beating a dead horse here... I assume the brackets mount to where the old brackets were mounted, it's just that the new bracket itself is larger and the top places the swim platform higher on the boat, or am I just dead wrong? which is really really possible...

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:23 PM
any chance you have a pic yet with the swim platform installed? trying to gauge the difference, if any, between our two yachts.

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 05:24 PM
Nothing wrong with you platform brackets. It's the upper actuator bracket that is mounted too low.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:26 PM
ah, gotcha, one less issue then. And yes, clearly they screwed up. not sure how, video is pretty damn clear. hope they fix it! and thanks to all for the advice and help! That's why I love this forum.

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 05:27 PM
And the lower actuator bracket should be installed in the position further out on the tab.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:29 PM
ah!!!!!! sorry all with the swim platform talk. I just re-read these and you were all taking about upper brackets for the actuator! my bad... need more alcohol.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:37 PM
skiskiguy, you mean where the two open holes are on the tab itself?

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 05:47 PM
skiskiguy, you mean where the two open holes are on the tab itself?

Correct. There are two mounting positions on the tab for the lower bracket. It should be mounted in the location closest to the trailing edge of the tab - which may help explain why the upper bracket ended up where it did.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 05:50 PM
maybe that's why my installer said the upper bracket HAD to go where it did to get the angle necessary. he really really really doesn't want to move the upper bracket and fix the gel coat. he said changing the bottom actuator mounting point could be the issue and that moving the upper won't make a difference really. I disagree...need it done correct. Every little thing makes a difference I believe.

Skyskiguy
04-10-2017, 06:02 PM
It will have to be moved to make the geometry work.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 06:08 PM
that's what I done tol' him! :)

mbhaddad
04-10-2017, 06:21 PM
Swim platform looks correct and raised just the upper mounting brackets on the actuator and then the position of the lower bracket on the actuator is adjustable to see if that helps any.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 06:25 PM
thanks. only hard part will be the gel coat repair...

ttu
04-10-2017, 06:45 PM
David, the marina that installed mine fixed the holes for free with spectrum gel coat and you can't even tell there were holes.

DavidF
04-10-2017, 06:49 PM
hopefully my guy will do the same! can't be that difficult...

DavidF
05-23-2017, 08:28 PM
so, the boat is back on the lift, GSA repositioned, and my dealer hasn't billed me for it, so all should be good. will test it this weekend!

gsxrjtt
05-25-2017, 08:38 AM
lets see one updated pics and video when you get it out

DavidF
05-25-2017, 11:00 AM
let's see if the weather holds up this weekend! says rain, then sun, then rain...ya never know up there

johkur
12-04-2018, 09:34 PM
The problem I've been having, after 1) initially built wrong and buttons didn't work and had to send back to GSA as I had one of the 'bad 30 wired wrong', and then 2) launch mode not retracting and being told my tabs were 'binding', but then reinstalled and totally loose at top and bottom and still beautiful wake but still wont' retract fully from launch mode, and 3) my gauges stopped working during install that initially 2 dealers diagnosed as being a bad viper module ($1K+), and finally determined to be a bad display ($2K+), and I still can't use launch mode because they only retract if you do left/right/off or right/left/off, but never launch-mode and then off or launch-mode and then auto-off (over 15mph), when they only partially retract. Have had to reinstall everything twice now, and still not a working unit. And I bought GSA instead of from wakemakers because was promised the applewatch app, but then told after installed the unit, that the applewatch app actually will never happen, so now no remote control either, which wakemakers version offered. Was told this was the more 'up to date' version, but so far, up to date meant miswired and I don't know what the real issue is still.

mbhaddad
12-04-2018, 10:51 PM
Juhkur - I had some similar issues which i was able to fully resolve. Here is the approach i would take on an install with similar issues you are seeing:

-If the tabs were binding on the swim platform or binding on any hard object they need to be carefully inspected and likely replaced. This can be felt in the tabs when they are fully deployed or full retracted they should not have much slop in them. If they do, then they are contributing to the partial re-tractment, seems this is happening to you. There is a screw mechanism running on gears within the actuator that is torn up

-Next unplug the actuators, the voltage should be tested at the actuator end of the wires. Go from system power up to right to center to left to center. In your case you may find there are readings not acting correctly here. Also if this is not reading correctly launch mode will not work correctly. It may not flash at all at 15 mph or it may retract only one tab putting the boat heavily

-The wires into the actuator harness may or may not be needing to be flipped, in my case they did not need this

-The most logical step for the vendor is to swap the faceplate with a known working faceplate, feel free to do that and retest to verify voltage

-The next logical step is to swap the control unit, feel free to do that and retest to verify voltage

-in my case the wires actually were causing an incorrect and inconsistant reading, swapping the wires made left, right, center function on the volt meter. Once the system works on the voltmeter it will work on the boat and launch mode will function assuming that the actuators are fully functional