View Full Version : Importing MC into USA from Canada.

The Black Mamba
04-08-2017, 10:17 PM
Just wondering if anyone has imported their boat into the USA after purchasing it in Canada. What paperwork is required and are there any fees charged at the border crossing?

04-08-2017, 10:22 PM
Yes, fees can range from $350 up to $1k depending upon boat value. Dealer can arrange or there are third party brokerage groups that can do so. Especially in the western provinces hit by petro industries, there are good boat deals to be had that mitigate any transport and border fees. Currency exchange roughly equivalent to US boat values but feels like there is more inventory at better pricing.

Recommend checking out Martin Motorsports (Edmonton, Calgary, other).

The Black Mamba
04-08-2017, 10:36 PM
I've done imports before on things like quads and didn't have to pay anything besides the regular licensing fees. I want to avoid spending money on a brokerage as that can add up. The fees you mention, are they taxes or what is that? Is it just the bill of sale that's needed when I stop at the border? Thanks

04-09-2017, 09:44 AM
US Customs is 1.5% import duty on a boat. Sorry, cannot answer paperwork specifically for duties (presume available at border check), but need bill of sale, emissions proof, HIN, proof of ID at the border.


04-09-2017, 10:46 AM
I suggest you call or visit US Customs to get the facts for the specific boat you are looking to import. My friend imported a Mastercraft X2 into Washington State from BC and he just needed to bring the paperwork to them. I'm pretty sure he didn't pay any duties since the boat is made in the USA.

I'll call him and find out the details...

04-09-2017, 01:09 PM
There is no "duty", as Duty is only paid on non-NAFTA produced goods. Just need to make sure your paperwork is in order.

04-09-2017, 04:05 PM
Here is what you need to do (according to my friend who imported an X2 a few years ago).

"All you need is a current registration and bill of sale , and get an import reciept from the US customs when you cross with the boat then go apply for State title. You will pay the sales tax and lisc. fee, that's about it , fairly simple..."

The Black Mamba
04-09-2017, 08:00 PM
That's great info everyone, I appreciate the feedback, it doesn't sound too difficult.