PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Boat Slip Purchase

bozzy
04-08-2017, 03:48 PM
So this is actually a 2 part question.

1. I have a conditional deal in place on a boat slip at my local marina (Sylvan Lake, Alberta). I got a very good price on a 21' slip (Can handle up to a 27' boat) we are in a recession right now so compared to what others have paid, I stole this slip. I won't disclose my price, but the going rate for these slips are currently at $58k CDN, originally they were sold for over $60k CDN...

So yes, it's no lease or rental, the purchase price includes full title ownership (Dockominium). The facility is brand new, completed in 2013 with very modern construction and design. The facility is very secure with camera's, gates, and fencing. Includes private launch, full washrooms/showers etc. etc.

My question is, I'm confident I'm buying at the basement, price wise. But in general and convenience aside, are these slips a good investment? Any concerns or questions I should be asking? I feel like I've done enough due diligence on this but I'd like to hear from others that own slips as well.

2. Next question. I'm currently looking at slip number 54. Im new to the whole V-Drive thing, and while I'm getting better at docking in general. Driving and parking in a slip is new to me. Perhaps you could offer me some tips on approach and general technique on how to get into this slip like a pro...

Thanks in advance.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%201.26.49%20PM_zpsbt6jgwoj.png (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/50calshooter/media/Screen%20Shot%202017-04-08%20at%201.26.49%20PM_zpsbt6jgwoj.png.html)

LDA6339
04-08-2017, 04:03 PM
If you are facing that way you will have to do a 270 every time you back out of your boat slip because of the way it backs up to the right. (Unless you have dockstar!) We have to do the exact same thing every time as well, its not as bad as it looks as long as you have enough space between 54 and 79, per say. As for the finances, we lease ours, no idea what return or depreciation you'd see on something like that.

ChandlerR
04-08-2017, 04:24 PM
Really no need to do a 270. When you push the boat out just push the bow towards the lake. As to the investment part, most real estate of any kind is generally a winner. Go for it

moosehead
04-08-2017, 04:50 PM
I would be biased to 86 or 130 for the reasons Ida mentions in backing out. I also prefer to be near the end of the dock so long as it is in leeward protection which it looks to be? Otherwise take same side further in.

As for ownership, sounds like a deal, and if you get the utility that is all that matters. If you happened to make money, then that's gravy.

Can you use a lift in the slip? Some will not allow it.

gweaver
04-08-2017, 04:57 PM
If the current price for the slip is 58K, and you're getting it for less than that, it sounds like you're already money ahead. What's the economy like in that area? If things seem to be on an up-turn, I'd expect the value to increase over the years. If the current ask is enough below 58K, I'd think you could, if you wanted, keep it for a few months to decide if you like it, then flip it if you feel it's not worth it and still get your money out of it.
G

bozzy
04-08-2017, 05:13 PM
If you are facing that way you will have to do a 270 every time you back out of your boat slip because of the way it backs up to the right. (Unless you have dockstar!) We have to do the exact same thing every time as well, its not as bad as it looks as long as you have enough space between 54 and 79, per say. As for the finances, we lease ours, no idea what return or depreciation you'd see on something like that.

That was my concern as well. Ideally I'd like to be on the left side of any column, and have the right side spot. Unfortunately those are all sold out.

My thought was to take a slip that is easier to pull into (54), I'd rather drift in towards a dock then someones boat. For backing out my plan was to just push the bow over by hand as I come out...

I would be biased to 86 or 130 for the reasons Ida mentions in backing out. I also prefer to be near the end of the dock so long as it is in leeward protection which it looks to be? Otherwise take same side further in.

As for ownership, sounds like a deal, and if you get the utility that is all that matters. If you happened to make money, then that's gravy.

Can you use a lift in the slip? Some will not allow it.

I never asked about a lift, but this lake freezes over, so wouldn't the lift have to come out every season as well?

ap77
04-08-2017, 06:14 PM
I have a slip at our marina that is in a similar position as 54. I have no troubles getting in or out so I think 54 would be a good location. 48 might be a bit easier as it is closer to the open waters, but it's a bit longer walk to the land.

The only time it gets difficult for us is when the wind picks up. In those conditions I usually close the bimini so it doesn't act as a sail. The scariest situation is when the wind starts to push you into other boats. All I can say is make sure you have lots of extra hands on deck when it's windy.

I really have no gauge as to the value of the slip. $60K (original cost seems a bit high). I've seen slips for purchase for $25K, but it doesn't seem as nice as your setup.

How much are the monthly dues?

LDA6339
04-08-2017, 06:28 PM
Really no need to do a 270. When you push the boat out just push the bow towards the lake. As to the investment part, most real estate of any kind is generally a winner. Go for it

Not really feasible with a bow full of guests but does work, we do this when boat is not full of people

Ben
04-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Odd idea. Can you back in? It's nice having the dock on the right side of you...
get a lift if you can. Yes it would probably need pulled.

Ben
04-08-2017, 07:56 PM
I can't imagine having to do a 270. Back up some bump the throttle with wheel cut to the right. Repeat? I'm used to DD not V-drive though.

73blue
04-08-2017, 08:40 PM
Are monthly dues reasonable? Who controls them and how hard is it for them to raise them? How many slips are currently vacant/for sale? Not being familiar with the area, is there enough demand that there will be a market if you need to sell later? Just because you buy at a lower price than others doesnt necessarily mean its a good deal if you cant get out of it later if need be.

ChandlerR
04-08-2017, 09:12 PM
Not really feasible with a bow full of guests but does work, we do this when boat is not full of people

What difference does it make how many people are in the boat ? I can push my bow either way, full or empty?

MC25
04-08-2017, 09:17 PM
What difference does it make how many people are in the boat ? I can push my bow either way, full or empty?

Accessibility wise it's a pain. Especially in canada, when it's cold and the bow wind breaker is open and the window is shut. To pull out of our dock, especially if it's windy, a 270 is necessary.

ap77
04-08-2017, 11:32 PM
Accessibility wise it's a pain. Especially in canada, when it's cold and the bow wind breaker is open and the window is shut. To pull out of our dock, especially if it's windy, a 270 is necessary.

I've never had to do a 270. Worst case scenario is you walk your boat out and push of the bow in the direction you want to go. Very easy.

LDA6339
04-09-2017, 01:50 AM

You lean over your guests up front to grab the dock? I bet they love that

LDA6339
04-09-2017, 01:51 AM
I've never had to do a 270. Worst case scenario is you walk your boat out and push of the bow in the direction you want to go. Very easy.

Which takes just as long as the 270 if not longer.

jgraham37128
04-09-2017, 06:54 AM
54 seems like a good slip. I'm not sure why everyone is talking about the ease of getting in and out. Once you do it a few times you won't even think about it.

My biggest concern on slip buying is getting a slip where the sun doesn't set on the back of your boat. It's the first thing I look for, second is do you want to carry your crap to the end of the dock or have a slip that's close to the entry so you don't have to carry it so far. Everything else doesn't matter to me.

jgraham37128
04-09-2017, 06:55 AM
You lean over your guests up front to grab the dock? I bet they love that

My neighbors child has a pin in her hand doing this. I wouldn't recommend this suggestion.

bret
04-09-2017, 08:15 AM
Make absolutely sure the Dockominium will transfer should the marina change hands over time. Does the title convey on ownership change?
Had a similar situation for some in Heber Springs, AR at Eden Isle Marina several years ago.

T Scott
04-09-2017, 11:05 AM
I agree with backing in if at all permissible. Simply pull past your spot, and use the reverse right tendency of the boat to your advantage. Same would apply when pulling out. If you can't make the turn, bump boat in reverse and the reverse right will get the back end of boat centered in canal. as many others have said, it's a piece of cake once you get a routine down. Have fun!

JohnE
04-09-2017, 11:10 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the discussion about getting the boat into or out of the slip. That wouldn't be my primary or secondary concern. I had a slip on a channel in a big lake a few years ago, and there was a strong current and was often windy. Wasn't such a big deal.

CantRepeat
04-09-2017, 11:50 AM
I'm kind of surprised at all the discussion about getting the boat into or out of the slip. That wouldn't be my primary or secondary concern. I had a slip on a channel in a big lake a few years ago, and there was a strong current and was often windy. Wasn't such a big deal.

It's getting VERY wakeworld in this thread! :D

MC25
04-09-2017, 11:58 AM
Which takes just as long as the 270 if not longer.

Yeah I'd rather do a 270 lol. I hardly have to, really just wind. Enough room for me to back up pretty far and turn.

ap77
04-09-2017, 01:19 PM
54 seems like a good slip. I'm not sure why everyone is talking about the ease of getting in and out. Once you do it a few times you won't even think about it.

My biggest concern on slip buying is getting a slip where the sun doesn't set on the back of your boat. It's the first thing I look for, second is do you want to carry your crap to the end of the dock or have a slip that's close to the entry so you don't have to carry it so far. Everything else doesn't matter to me.

You raise a good point...Slip 62 is a lot closer to the end of dock and would be on my list if you don't want to carry your things so far.

bozzy
04-09-2017, 08:15 PM
Odd idea. Can you back in? It's nice having the dock on the right side of you...
get a lift if you can. Yes it would probably need pulled.

I'm not sure if the marina allows this. The more I think about slip selection, the more I think I should pick a slip with the dock on my right side. This would make things easier getting into the slip...

Are monthly dues reasonable? Who controls them and how hard is it for them to raise them? How many slips are currently vacant/for sale? Not being familiar with the area, is there enough demand that there will be a market if you need to sell later? Just because you buy at a lower price than others doesnt necessarily mean its a good deal if you cant get out of it later if need be.

The monthly dues are $35. They haven't changed since they opened in 2013. There is a board made up of slip owners and property owners so everything gets voted on. I would assume it would be difficult to raise dues without warrant. Right now they have about 30 slips left, out of a possible 174. I think once they are sold out, (owner expects a couple more years) then demand should be there, as this is the only marina on this lake.

This is a really good point, I have to confirm this but I believe bows and sterns run north/south.

Make absolutely sure the Dockominium will transfer should the marina change hands over time. Does the title convey on ownership change?
Had a similar situation for some in Heber Springs, AR at Eden Isle Marina several years ago.

This is another good point. I will find out. Thanks!

bozzy
04-09-2017, 08:21 PM
Here's some pictures of the marina.

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/WM-Lighthouse-2016-2-1_zpsazefibvc.png (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/50calshooter/media/WM-Lighthouse-2016-2-1_zpsazefibvc.png.html)

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/5759822_16519316_zpsfspuslpo.jpg (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/50calshooter/media/5759822_16519316_zpsfspuslpo.jpg.html)

MC25
04-09-2017, 09:10 PM
Seems like robbery to me for an open place to park your boat.

Astepatatime
04-09-2017, 09:22 PM
Speaking to the financial side, the way I'd look at it is whether your depreciation potential is less than operating costs of next option.

For example, if you don't have this slip, you're either renting a slip (add up rental x 12) or towing and launching (figure out launch costs, estimate value of time, etc). Then compare that to the worst case - the slip value depreciates instead of appreciates.

My guess is the slip could depreciate 10% a year and you'd probably still be ahead. Of course if you want to get really thorough, you have to figure the opportunity cost of spending that money on the slip vs. investing it for a return....

But who said it has to make economic sense :)

slalomjunkie
04-10-2017, 10:50 AM

60k Canadian equates to ~45k USD… I am also a little surprised that this is an open marina, no shade. The overhead pic, you can see the place is gorgeous… But I do not understand what you’re getting for your money. There are places like this available on a 1st come 1st served basis all over the US lakes either free or a small day use fee. With this set up, you can’t install an equipment locker, or a grill you can’t hang a cradle lift, you are going to fry in the sun all day and you’ll have to trailer your boat every time. I just do not understand why you’d spend that much money for a guaranteed day use parking space.

:confused:

ap77
04-10-2017, 12:16 PM

There is no theft in Canada...;)

bozzy
04-10-2017, 02:16 PM
60k Canadian equates to ~45k USD… I am also a little surprised that this is an open marina, no shade. The overhead pic, you can see the place is gorgeous… But I do not understand what you’re getting for your money. There are places like this available on a 1st come 1st served basis all over the US lakes either free or a small day use fee. With this set up, you can’t install an equipment locker, or a grill you can’t hang a cradle lift, you are going to fry in the sun all day and you’ll have to trailer your boat every time. I just do not understand why you’d spend that much money for a guaranteed day use parking space.

:confused:

Fair enough, I'll try and shed some light here... The problem is us Canadians aren't as spoiled as some of you guys down south. Specifically in Alberta, there aren't many lakes close to home, Sylvan Lake is the closest and cleanest lake. I was told this lake is fed by a natural spring that traces back to the Columbia Ice Fields, so although the water is fairly cold, the water is clean.

As far as the marina goes, this isn't for "day use" specifically, I'll be leaving my boat in the slip all season long, so its quite the opposite, absolutely no trailering at all. Just drive up, hop in, and go. Not having to trailer my boat every time I wanna go on the lake is the selling point. Super convenient.

As far as the facility goes, it is 100% gated and secure. There are storage lockers for owners, and bathroom/shower facilities as well. We also get 2 reserved parking stalls within the compound. You have to consider how crazy busy this lake gets being the only good one in central Alberta. The traffic on land and water can be brutal, so all this private convince really adds up value wise...

Also I still have to confirm, I may be able to install a lift...

slalomjunkie
04-10-2017, 02:21 PM
I'll be leaving my boat in the slip all season long, so its quite the opposite, absolutely no trailering at all. Just drive up, hop in, and go.

Do you realize what leaving your boat in the water is going to do to the bottom of the boat? There won't be much "go" at the end of the season. ;)

Also I still have to confirm, I may be able to install a lift...

I would base my purchasing decision on this point alone.

Please keep us updated. You lake looks awesome.

bozzy
04-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Do you realize what leaving your boat in the water is going to do to the bottom of the boat? There won't be much "go" at the end of the season. ;)

I would base my purchasing decision on this point alone.

Please keep us updated. You lake looks awesome.

Well I assumed there would be a little scum build up, but everyone leaves there boat in the water all season long, we're talking only 4 months. I figured that when I drop it off for winterization that they could do a cut and polish on the bottom to bring it back to new...

slalomjunkie
04-10-2017, 02:31 PM
Well I assumed there would be a little scum build up, but everyone leaves there boat in the water all season long, we're talking only 4 months. I figured that when I drop it off for winterization that they could do a cut and polish on the bottom to bring it back to new...

You might be ok for only 4 months. I left the 1st boat I ever owned in the water for a year and I had to professionally get it taken care of. If it were me, with my baby, I would pull it out 1x / mo and wash the bottom really well. :toast:

dmbeck
04-10-2017, 03:17 PM
When docking in a slip I personally like to pull up along side then back in turning to the right, I just take it slow and have some on the back corner to help since stearing in reverse is tricky. But this way it makes getting out of the slip alot easier and you can board the boat from the back which I like instead of climbing over the bow.

CottagerGreg
04-10-2017, 03:19 PM

I for years left my boat in the water... you can scrub down the hull in the summer when the water is warmer with a set of googles and an old tshirt... never had any issues.

501s
04-10-2017, 03:35 PM
Hi there. Congrats on the boat, you will love it. I live in Sylvan and keep my X30 in Marina Bay. You will have to pull it every month or so to wash it. If you leave it for a few months there will be 6" long weeds growing off it. Every year at the end of the season requires an hour at the car wash. With that said, you can't beat the convenience.

I have considered buying a slip for years there. Would you mind PM'ing me what it cost you? Hopefully we will see you out on the water. Keep an eye out for my Orange,black and silver X-30 and if you see us say hi. I have about 500 hours behind the new gen X-30 so let me know if you have any questions about the boat.

osmonet
04-10-2017, 03:47 PM
With the boat in the water without a canopy, and un-attended, I would be concerned during storms. At the very least make sure your bilge pumps and battery backup is reliable.

I had a buddy whose boat sank in a huge rainstorm because of a bilge pump failure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MC25
04-10-2017, 03:52 PM
that place got to have one huge ROI @ 60k a pop

slalomjunkie
04-10-2017, 03:57 PM
I had a buddy whose boat sank in a huge rainstorm because of a bilge pump failure.

^Very valid concern

You will have to pull it every month or so to wash it. If you leave it for a few months there will be 6" long weeds growing off it.

Exactly. My old IO boat grew a thick crusty algae that did not come off with goggles and a tshirt. My top end was 41 before, and with the growth, it maxed out at 29. I had it professionally cleaned because I preferred not to scrub a concrete eating muriatic type of concrete eating acid while upside down under my boat every night for at least a month...

I for years left my boat in the water... you can scrub down the hull in the summer when the water is warmer with a set of googles and an old tshirt... never had any issues.

My point exactly, pull the boat 1x/mo versus spending hours on your back scrubbing...

shepherd
04-10-2017, 04:21 PM
For what it's worth, I keep a larger (non-trailerable) boat in a marina year round. You can't beat the convenience of being able to just jump in and go. As for scum on the bottom, it's just an accepted part of life at the marina. I pay a diver to clean the bottom for me every 3 months or so. So guys do it themselves.

Looks like a real nice place. If you can afford it and it looks like you can get a big part (if not all) of your investment back on re-sale, like Astepatatime is saying, I say "go for it!" Looks like a no-lose deal.

Ben
04-10-2017, 07:11 PM
Looking at that setup you could likely leave the lift in for winter. Reason for pulling stuff is for ice shifting and blowing across the lakes. You don't have much there to blow in the nook.
Everyone here leaves lifts and docks in if they are in canals.

bozzy
04-10-2017, 07:14 PM
You might be ok for only 4 months. I left the 1st boat I ever owned in the water for a year and I had to professionally get it taken care of. If it were me, with my baby, I would pull it out 1x / mo and wash the bottom really well. :toast:

Yeah this sounds like a good idea.

Hi there. Congrats on the boat, you will love it. I live in Sylvan and keep my X30 in Marina Bay. You will have to pull it every month or so to wash it. If you leave it for a few months there will be 6" long weeds growing off it. Every year at the end of the season requires an hour at the car wash. With that said, you can't beat the convenience.

I have considered buying a slip for years there. Would you mind PM'ing me what it cost you? Hopefully we will see you out on the water. Keep an eye out for my Orange,black and silver X-30 and if you see us say hi. I have about 500 hours behind the new gen X-30 so let me know if you have any questions about the boat.

Sounds good. I'm in a Black and Red X30, be sure to do the same...

With the boat in the water without a canopy, and un-attended, I would be concerned during storms. At the very least make sure your bilge pumps and battery backup is reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a good point. I'm in a new boat so I should be fairly safe. But its worth double checking every year to make sure everything is as it should...

For what it's worth, I keep a larger (non-trailerable) boat in a marina year round. You can't beat the convenience of being able to just jump in and go. As for scum on the bottom, it's just an accepted part of life at the marina. I pay a diver to clean the bottom for me every 3 months or so. So guys do it themselves.

Looks like a real nice place. If you can afford it and it looks like you can get a big part (if not all) of your investment back on re-sale, like Astepatatime is saying, I say "go for it!" Looks like a no-lose deal.

Yeah I feel somewhat safe, I think I got in at a perfect time. Especially when all the slips sell out, I just can't see the pricing going lower then what I paid. Eventually supply and demand will catch up...

bozzy
04-10-2017, 07:19 PM
Looking at that setup you could likely leave the lift in for winter. Reason for pulling stuff is for ice shifting and blowing across the lakes. You don't have much there to blow in the nook.
Everyone here leaves lifts and docks in if they are in canals.

Yes I'm hoping thats the case. I talked to the owner today and he said as of right now its not allowed but there are lots of slip owners asking about it and its definitely something we can get the board to discuss and vote on...

I pulled the trigger on slip #147 today. It's the closest slip I could get while having the dock on my right side.

Time for a beer now to wash this all down, lol

JBaker
04-10-2017, 08:39 PM
Speaking to the financial side, the way I'd look at it is whether your depreciation potential is less than operating costs of next option.

For example, if you don't have this slip, you're either renting a slip (add up rental x 12) or towing and launching (figure out launch costs, estimate value of time, etc). Then compare that to the worst case - the slip value depreciates instead of appreciates.

My guess is the slip could depreciate 10% a year and you'd probably still be ahead. Of course if you want to get really thorough, you have to figure the opportunity cost of spending that money on the slip vs. investing it for a return....

But who said it has to make economic sense :)

This is exactly how I would look at it. If the dock holds its value (much less goes up) that's just gravy.

I'd also require a lift before signing any papers. As others have pointed out, the maintenance is considerable if you keep it in the water. Bad things can happen long term. Seen it many times on larger boats.

Ben
04-10-2017, 08:58 PM
Congrats. I'm sure you will enjoy it. Closer to the water means you can likely hang on the boat and watch the lake if it is blown out or busy. Will likely seem like less of a parking lot.

brentrr
04-10-2017, 09:07 PM
Congratulations bozzy! Having your boat in a slip is fantastic - hopefully you will really enjoy the convenience of keeping your boat there.

As far as backing up: I just walk the boat out of the slip, push the nose where we want to go and hop in. No big deal, even with the boat loaded with people. My wife takes the helm until I get in. If the conditions are right: no wind or waves, etc. I'll back it out using power. Just go with whatever you're comfortable with...

osmonet
04-10-2017, 09:10 PM
This is a good point. I'm in a new boat so I should be fairly safe. But its worth double checking every year to make sure everything is as it should...

This is not only dependent on age of the boat. It could be a function of how often you accidentally leave the accessories turned on when you leave for the day and drain the battery. That's what happened in my buddies case. Bilge pump worked great, but had no power to pump out the massive amounts of rainwater.

bozzy
04-11-2017, 07:17 PM
Congratulations bozzy! Having your boat in a slip is fantastic - hopefully you will really enjoy the convenience of keeping your boat there.

As far as backing up: I just walk the boat out of the slip, push the nose where we want to go and hop in. No big deal, even with the boat loaded with people. My wife takes the helm until I get in. If the conditions are right: no wind or waves, etc. I'll back it out using power. Just go with whatever you're comfortable with...

Yeah I'm pretty excited, thanks for the tip as well, I will most likely walk the boat out of the slip until I get comfortable with the marina...

This is not only dependent on age of the boat. It could be a function of how often you accidentally leave the accessories turned on when you leave for the day and drain the battery. That's what happened in my buddies case. Bilge pump worked great, but had no power to pump out the massive amounts of rainwater.

Good point. I have to double check but I'm pretty sure one of the bilge pumps is direct wired to the batteries. I always turn off my batteries so I will have to double check if this is the case. I'm dropping my boat off this weekend to my dealer for warranty work so I will make sure I get a good understanding on how the bilge system works...

This is exactly how I would look at it. If the dock holds its value (much less goes up) that's just gravy.

I'd also require a lift before signing any papers. As others have pointed out, the maintenance is considerable if you keep it in the water. Bad things can happen long term. Seen it many times on larger boats.

I'm going to make a request to the board. I pulled the trigger on the slip so I will have to pursue the lift after the fact. I just felt that with all the boats in the marina (some a lot nicer then mine) doing the same thing (leaving them in the water) that I should be OK. Unfortunately being the only marina on a decent lake in my area, there's just not much leverage to be had. Also the deal was too good to pass up...

To be honest, I never really thought about the negatives of leaving the boat in the water for the season. I have to admit, I am now concerned a little. But my plan is to pull the boat every 2 months for a cleaning and inspection. I have to believe that this community watches out for one another, I know if I saw a boat in the marina sitting low in the water, I would certainly track down the owner to let him know...

Given the only two options, between leaving the boat in the water in a slip, versus trailering every time. The former and any associated "risks" still out weighs the latter by far...

At the very least there will be a lot less anxiety for me this summer, lol

bozzy
05-28-2017, 07:19 PM
So I closed on the slip a few weeks ago, and at the same time I submitted a request for an approval to have a boat lift installed. Yesterday, they came back with an approval!

I'm pretty excited to be able to get a boat lift installed, it will be good for the boat and even better for the peace of mind...

I decided on a Sunstream Sunlift SL7012AR, a little overkill for an X30, but down the road my next boat will be an X23 so I bit the bullet on this one. I'm still surprised that I am the first one to have a lift installed in the entire marina...

Lift gets installed in about 3 weeks! Looks like this one...

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr198/50calshooter/Sunlift%202_zpsndr43pm9.jpg (http://s483.photobucket.com/user/50calshooter/media/Sunlift%202_zpsndr43pm9.jpg.html)

slalomjunkie
05-30-2017, 11:16 AM
I decided on a Sunstream Sunlift SL7012AR, a little overkill for an X30,

No such thing as overkill on the lift. Great job...

kscrib
05-30-2017, 11:50 AM
What slip number did you go with? Curious about the impact of backing and distance to open water (for better boat protection)

CottagerGreg
05-30-2017, 02:20 PM
congrats! Should be awesome to have quick access to the boat too!

Slvr Bulit
05-30-2017, 03:01 PM
So I closed on the slip a few weeks ago, and at the same time I submitted a request for an approval to have a boat lift installed. Yesterday, they came back with an approval!

Good for you! You are going to have a killer set up.

bozzy
05-31-2017, 08:14 PM
Thanks gents, super excited about this...

What slip number did you go with? Curious about the impact of backing and distance to open water (for better boat protection)

I chose slip #147. I've got the dock on my right side, and I'm quite concealed within the marina.

In talks with Martin Motorsports (Sunlift supplier) they told me that because of the water depth and sheltered nature of the marina, that I wont have to take my lift out every season. Just lower the lift all the way down and I'm good to go. This makes it very worth while...