PDA

View Full Version : Cover Snaps - Chaffe Your MCOCD?

moosehead
04-03-2017, 07:47 PM
Yea, yea, I've seen enough of the thread chatter to get the feeling that cover snaps are not necessarily MCOCD approved.

Question is why? Visual aesthetic ruining the clean, crisp lines of your MC? Something protruding to cause a hangnail or bloody toe? Too much like your dock mates Bayliner, The Horror!. Makes hand waxing a bit tougher?

Looking at another boat that has them and like all else in the config, including price. Am told by the MC dealer the snap on bow cover and tonneau tow beautifully with no rub rail rash like the main cover. Can run the bow cover on frosty dawn patrol sessions. Easy on and off in the lift.

What say you TT?

kwoody51
04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
If they don't bother you then go for it! It's your boat and your $$$ :)

I'm curious what others say. Prior to my mastercraft I didn't realize snap on covers were a 'big' deal as it seemed like every boat I interacted with growing up had them.

neil.anderson63
04-03-2017, 08:11 PM
I debated this internally for a very long time. I wanted to tow with the cover on. However, the standard cover is not road worthy. Having MCOCD I didn't want snaps. Plus, I see cracks around most snaps on boats - horrors!!
I did it - custom made bow and cockpit cover that tows like a champ. The snap hole cracking nightmare is cured by the way they drill, hone and put a poly insert in each hole for the snap screw. 2 years in and I have no regrets going with the snap on cover. Tows great without any straps gives me the peace of mind in foul weather that my stuff is protected and doesn't blow out at highway speed.

bturner2
04-03-2017, 09:20 PM
I've had boats with and without them, these days it's actually a show stopper for me if it has them. For me, it's just something that I personally think takes away from the boat as you've just drilled 30 - 40 holes in everything from the windshield frame to the deck of the boat. Eventually the canvas shrinks so now the cover takes greater effort to secure then the snaps pull through the canvas. At least that was my experience.

All this being said, that is my preference and experience. What you do with your boat is totally up to you and at the end of the day you're the only one that has to be happy with it. That is until you go to sell it..... :-)

moosehead
04-04-2017, 10:40 AM
Thanks gents. Good point on the spiderwebs and snap mounting with poly inserts Neil, this boat has them installed already so will check it out. Also trying to find out if these bow and tonneau covers are MC or aftermarket, not even sure if MC ever had the factory option? Other downside is the snaps can sometimes gather darker metallic dust if they become dry or sunbaked, on prior boats we kept ours clean and functioning easily with wax/chapstick once a season.

moosehead
04-04-2017, 08:12 PM
MC Factory bow and tonneau setup, looks pretty damn solid including vented cap tent poles vs the rats nest with straps.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/a880b7328babfb5245340709c4e29bc9.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/77ca156dedca1554add477f24e626e83.jpg

MC25
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
Wow that boat is amazing...

Mastercraftdave
04-04-2017, 08:28 PM
I love my snap cover and will have one from now on. I have always had the bow snap cover and with my X23 I ordered the full snap cover in addition to the over the tower cover.

The best thing about the snap cover is towing. You get ZERO scratching from the cover while towing. It's super tight and cuts down on drag. It holds up pretty well in the rain but not as good at the over the tower cover.

Besides towing, I have used it when I moored my boat in the water for the weekend. It was so easy to put the cover on at night.

The snaps aren't as visible as you would think. I have snaps on my Windshield and from the tower to the rear. The front bow is more visible but to me it worth it. When I store my boat on the weekend, I have a full waterline cover bit for quick trips, this is all I take. It even folds up nicely and can be stored in the boat easily.

I wouldn't hesitate getting this cover.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/90ce5172ec7043801fe092218666eee2.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/49e4eb331bbee3a56ca905724a2e3276.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/ff99f66d9cb14e8717e0c882c837b91c.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170405/9c389d4db9d2f04bb2de753ddbe7ca40.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mastercraftdave
04-04-2017, 08:31 PM
Eventually the canvas shrinks so now the cover takes greater effort to secure then the snaps pull through the canvas. At least that was my experience.

I think you have it backwards. The cover stretch over time a bit but after two years mine fits like a glove. At first it was tight and now it's perfect.

moosehead
04-04-2017, 09:04 PM
^Thanks gents. MCDave just closed the deal on the snaps, plus your boat always gives me a chubby.

bturner2
04-04-2017, 09:31 PM
I think you have it backwards. The cover stretch over time a bit but after two years mine fits like a glove. At first it was tight and now it's perfect.

No, I don't think so. That's why they make these.....

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Boating-Accessories-Improved-Release/dp/B014LHC208

Product description
Your boat cover will shrink over time due to exposure to the sun and dryness. Are you tired of having to physically stretch your cover to fit, or perhaps you have broken a cover attempting to make it fit? Extend the life of your boat canvas cover with our boat Canvas Extender Snaps. Unfortunately, boat covers do tend to shrink over time, but we have the solution. The team at CYP has provided 4 different length size options suitable to meet your canvas needs. Five Canvas Extender Snaps come with each purchase. Our Canvas Extender Snaps are here to alleviate the stress caused by your shrinking boat covers! COMES WITH IMPROVED EASY RELEASE TAB!

But again it's your boat and if you like them that's all that's important.....

Mastercraftdave
04-04-2017, 11:30 PM
No, I don't think so. That's why they make these.....

https://www.amazon.com/Extender-Boating-Accessories-Improved-Release/dp/B014LHC208

Product description

Your boat cover will shrink over time due to exposure to the sun and dryness. Are you tired of having to physically stretch your cover to fit, or perhaps you have broken a cover attempting to make it fit? Extend the life of your boat canvas cover with our boat Canvas Extender Snaps. Unfortunately, boat covers do tend to shrink over time, but we have the solution. The team at CYP has provided 4 different length size options suitable to meet your canvas needs. Five Canvas Extender Snaps come with each purchase. Our Canvas Extender Snaps are here to alleviate the stress caused by your shrinking boat covers! COMES WITH IMPROVED EASY RELEASE TAB!

But again it's your boat and if you like them that's all that's important.....

Maybe for the old cheap tops with cheap material. But for these new materials and tops, they stretch a little, not much but a little. I take proper care of my tops but the material on all new MCs does not shrink. My snap on was crazy right when I first started using it, now it's perfect and it STRETCHED in certain areas making it a bit easier to put on.

Again look at those pictures and tell me if you see snaps? They are minimal, and help ensure that your boat isn't scratched while towing, to me, that's MCOCD at its finest.

Mastercraftdave
04-04-2017, 11:32 PM
^Thanks gents. MCDave just closed the deal on the snaps, plus your boat always gives me a chubby.

Thanks and keep it in your pants lol.

Be sure to post pictures. Make sure that they put it on tight because it will stretch alittle unlike what was mentioned by others.

When the tower is put down while the top is on it will push on the top. Also, look into some speaker socks because the cover with rub on your speakers.

moosehead
04-05-2017, 02:10 AM
^Is the MC snap cover material the same as the below rub rail cinch strap cover (sharkskin type)? Or is it a canvas (Sunbrella type)?

The photos above are the boat I'm pursuing with a two-year old set of factory snap covers on a '15 MY boat.

XC500mod
04-05-2017, 06:36 AM
Moose that is a sharp boat you are persuing. What are the details? Looks like an x30, why are you making the change?. I've got an x-10 and often thought it would be nice to have the extra space.

Mastercraftdave
04-05-2017, 08:18 AM
^Is the MC snap cover material the same as the below rub rail cinch strap cover (sharkskin type)? Or is it a canvas (Sunbrella type)?

The photos above are the boat I'm pursuing with a two-year old set of factory snap covers on a '15 MY boat.

Yes mine is the same material as the standard covers that come with the boat. Your going to love the cover.

MC25
04-05-2017, 09:08 AM
I loved having the snap cover on the 25. Although we did buy a full waterline cover from skiboatcovers, the snap cover was great for when I knew I was going to use the boat the next day and not having to cover it with the big cover.

But with the new over tower covers, I don't think I'd take a snap cover over one.

Mastercraftdave
04-05-2017, 10:57 AM
I loved having the snap cover on the 25. Although we did buy a full waterline cover from skiboatcovers, the snap cover was great for when I knew I was going to use the boat the next day and not having to cover it with the big cover.

But with the new over tower covers, I don't think I'd take a snap cover over one.

I'm having a waterline cover made for my boat as we speak.

The over the tower cover is great but for towing, where the straps go under the rubrail, you will see small scratches from the cover moving when it gets going on the interstate.

The snap cover completely eliminates all of this.

moosehead
04-05-2017, 04:41 PM
^XC500, we love our X10 and believe it to be the best crossover in the market despite a few new entries. It does all really well, including big surf and solid rec. slalom.

2footitis in this case is we now try to spend 4+ weeks on Lake Pend Oreille, which is massive at 43 miles long and 1200' deep. The X10 was good for 90% of the outings, the 10% that I got caught in weather she was a bit dicey despite handling it well. Almost leaned towards an X23 for best surf wave and best big water characteristics, but did not want to give up the ski just yet. Was tempted by a surf edition X23 and pumpkin motor but versatility still key to us having been spoiled by the X10.

This is a '15 X30 with 6.2L and low hours for 60% below MC sticker, so hard to resist. Plus she still sports the MC cleats, quilted seats w/ embroidered shield, and machined billiet - call me vain. She'll hang in a covered lift or be stowed indoors most of her life, so the MC snap covers would work well.

jayR
04-05-2017, 06:20 PM
when my brother bought his brand new Malibu wakesetter back in 08 he had the dealer put the snaps in on the bottom side of the rub rail. simple but brilliant, and works great on his boat. One other thing about that boat is that it skis great, I wouldn't have thought so being pretty big and and a v-drive, but its pretty amazing.

Mattymillz12
04-05-2017, 10:47 PM
Might be a tad bit off topic, but my OEM cover for a 2005 xstar just ripped and I'd like to try to obtain a similar factory look with the mastercraft lettering. Is anyone selling one or know the best way to find one?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk