PDA

View Full Version : Opinions-- stock X25 vs stock X23 surf wave

Loewen
04-03-2017, 08:06 AM
Going to be moving from an X25 up to an X23 soon. Reading up on data between the two boats. There is about a ~700 dry wt difference between the boats, but an extra foot in length on the X23. Draft between the two boats is identical at 28". For anyone who has seen the stock wave with Gen2 and all factory ballast full on both, what should my expectations be for size, length, push difference between the two?

Theoretically, with the same draft and similar displacement of water (extra foot in length, offset by 700 lb heavier weight) shouldn't the waves be very similar in size and all other aspects??

Opinions, observations, etc.???

Thanks!

Mastercraftdave
04-03-2017, 08:28 AM
There will be a difference between the X23 and X25.

The X23 was built around the concept of maximizing the surf wave. While the X25 will produce a nice surf wave. The X23 will be bigger and long and very consistent. The X23 also has 3000 lbs of ballast in the boat with about 2K in the rear alone.

My good friend just bought a nice X25 this weekend and while I was out on it you can see a big difference. They do need to add more weight to the boat. The X25 was not made with the idea of surfing as it wasn't the thing when the hull debuted. Aric has posted pics of the X25 wave and it looked awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Loewen
04-03-2017, 08:33 AM
I always thought our X25 had a pretty awesome wave stock, with the plug and play bags in the rear lockers.

When just a couple of us went out, I would add another 1200 lbs in bags and had a pretty sick wave. Can't wait to see what the X23 will do.

MC25
04-03-2017, 08:45 AM
There will be a difference between the X23 and X25.

The X23 was built around the concept of maximizing the surf wave. While the X25 will produce a nice surf wave. The X23 will be bigger and long and very consistent. The X23 also has 3000 lbs of ballast in the boat with about 2K in the rear alone.

My good friend just bought a nice X25 this weekend and while I was out on it you can see a big difference. They do need to add more weight to the boat. The X25 was not made with the idea of surfing as it wasn't the thing when the hull debuted. Aric has posted pics of the X25 wave and it looked awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pretty much spot on. X23 is amazing out of the box, x25 needs some extra weight.

Jonb1822
04-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Just made the same move and when comparing stock there is no comparison. I always thought the stock wave on the X25 was garbage and always required a lot of extra ballast. Even after getting a nice wave out of the X25 it was always a struggle to get it just right to maximize push and shape. The X23 is better in all areas when it comes to surfing.

MC25
04-03-2017, 09:42 AM
With go surf assist, stock ballast, and x star 710s the rear lockers, I wouldn't consider it garbage or needing a lot of extra weight though. Can't imagine a gen 2 boat being much different.

Mastercraftdave
04-03-2017, 09:45 AM
With go surf assist, stock ballast, and x star 710s the rear lockers, I wouldn't consider it garbage or needing a lot of extra weight though. Can't imagine a gen 2 boat being much different.

Aric, you can fit the 710 in the rear lockers?

My good friend just bought an X25 and they were looking to switch the bags out.

Loewen
04-03-2017, 09:52 AM
I"m not 100% certain on this, but I believe the factory optional plug and play bags for X25s are 750's in the rear lockers.

We love love love our wave on the X25. Took awhile to get it dialed in just right, but it is long and tall. I'm a BIG guy and have no problem behind it.

Jonb1822
04-03-2017, 10:03 AM

710s arent stock. 400s are what comes with the boat in which case the wave is not that good stock imo. Garbage maybe be strong lol, but after owning two X25s and seeing what potential it did have the stock wave just wasn't good. Again I got a good surf wave out of my boats but it took more work than the X23 and didn't have the same push.

Jonb1822
04-03-2017, 10:08 AM
Aric, you can fit the 710 in the rear lockers?

My good friend just bought an X25 and they were looking to switch the bags out.

They won't fit perfect. You just fill them as full as you can. It is definitely one of the best routes to get extra weight.

wilhelmwake
04-03-2017, 10:34 AM
The big deal with the fabulous powerful push of the X23 surf wave is the hull shape combined with the gen2 tabs. Of course weight is a huge factor, but the shape of the wave "the curl" attributes to the hull shape and the curl creates the great push.

uplandbird
04-03-2017, 11:06 AM
My X25 setup:

I run 600's in the back lockers and they fit well.

I add 750 in the port side locker.

With the proper amount of tinkering I get a wave from my X25 that I think is good. Great?....Maybe not great, but good.

I've spent many a night debating whether or not it is worth 50K or more to switch to an X23.

I've surfed the X23, and while it was a great wave, its not 50K better than mine. At least not for me, my family, and my current economic situation.

https://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=68906

lashburn1
04-03-2017, 11:13 AM
My X25 setup:

With the proper amount of tinkering I get a wave from my X25 that I think is good. Great?....Maybe not great, but good.

I've spent many a night debating whether or not it is worth 50K or more to switch to an X23.

I've surfed the X23, and while it was a great wave, its not 50K better than mine. At least not for me, my family, and my current economic situation.

....I always use the "you can have an NXT20 AND a SPARE NXT20 ...for the price of an X23.." debate analogy

gt23
04-03-2017, 02:05 PM
....I always use the "you can have an NXT20 AND a SPARE NXT20 ...for the price of an X23.." debate analogy

or one fresh water, one salt;

ap77
04-03-2017, 02:17 PM
or one fresh water, one salt;

Lol. That is true for Larry.

lashburn1
04-03-2017, 04:15 PM
Lol. That is true for Larry.

WHO ME??? I'm buying a 25' Toon with twin 300 Mercs on a Joystick. :D

Wife said she wants to go as fast as our Car down the river...but with a Glass of Pino...

Loewen
04-04-2017, 08:30 AM
I concur uplandbird... When we don't have a boat load of people, we add 3- 400 lb bags around the boat and create a monster. I think the X25 is finicky when weight is added or reduced, but once you get a feel for the tabs needed at each weight range, it is very clean, big and has great push.

Stock, the wave looks great, but you gotta put some weight in'er to create the size.

With all that being said, I'm still parting with our X25 and going up to the X23 for no other reason than I can't resist....

My X25 setup:

uplandbird
04-04-2017, 03:24 PM
I concur uplandbird... When we don't have a boat load of people, we add 3- 400 lb bags around the boat and create a monster. I think the X25 is finicky when weight is added or reduced, but once you get a feel for the tabs needed at each weight range, it is very clean, big and has great push.

Stock, the wave looks great, but you gotta put some weight in'er to create the size.

With all that being said, I'm still parting with our X25 and going up to the X23 for no other reason than I can't resist....

I know.........I know............Caught in the X23 Tractor Beam.

Loewen
04-05-2017, 08:12 AM
I know.........I know............Caught in the X23 Tractor Beam.

Can't.......................resist................ .........

jjct1
07-15-2018, 01:09 AM

With all that being said, I'm still parting with our X25 and going up to the X23 for no other reason than I can't resist....Where do you suggest putting the weight in the X25? Nose, mid or rear.

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Loewen
07-16-2018, 09:18 AM
We had 3- 400's from wakemakers(the long rectangular ones), plus the plug and play bags in the rear lockers . One bag went in the walkway to the nose of the boat, one on port side seat all the way to the rear and the other port side floor. We all surf port side. That 1200 lbs made an outstanding wave on the X25. Stock wave was meh. Loaded wave was really good. Tab settings were very finicky depending on how many extra people we had in the boat. Usually was just 2 boys, wife and I.