PDA

View Full Version : Grand Canyon Tours

Turtle51
04-02-2017, 08:52 PM
Who has the best one? Also, is the helicopter tour worth it? If so,
who did you use? Lastly, staying in Scottsdale for the week, what would you recommend to
do with 2 boys that are ages 13 and 10. Recommendations on restaurants also. Thanks in advance

gwozhog
04-02-2017, 09:23 PM
Did a Grand Canyon Tour back in Feb. I rented a car a small car and packed full with my roll up inflatable boat and Yamaha outboard and drove 20 hours to Arizona. It was a bucket list trip. Here is a short video.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jTJ5UytbIIU

clrussell
04-02-2017, 09:33 PM
Did a Grand Canyon Tour back in Feb. I rented a car a small car and packed full with my roll up inflatable boat and Yamaha outboard and drove 20 hours to Arizona. It was a bucket list trip. Here is a short video.

That's legit

FrankSchwab
04-03-2017, 12:37 AM
If you're up near the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell is only a few hours away. Take the Rainbow Bridge tour - you'll see most of that magnificent lake. Take a tour through Antelope Canyon while you're at Lake Powell. Might be a two-day trip to northern AZ.

On the way up/back, you can top in Sedona on your way up/back from the GC - it's a nice lunch location. Probably too early in the season to swim at Slide Rock in Oak Creek Canyon, but it's a great slickrock experience. Meteor crater is a good place to stop and see - I've got some great pictures someplace from when I flew my hang glider over it.

In town, it's a bit dull. Lots of good places to eat in Scottsdale. Spring training is over, so no cheap baseball games - but the DiamondBacks are playing at home. NCAA Final Four is in town, but if you don't have tickets for the Monday game by now it'll be expensive to get some. It's a bit early in the season to tube the Salt River, the water's gonna be cold.

X7Dave
04-03-2017, 09:24 AM
If you are looking for a rafting tour - you may be too late for this season? We found out that there is a limited number of tours possible in any season and they fill up pretty quick. That is not for just one but all tour operators.

surfer2
04-03-2017, 11:53 AM

Did you launch out of lees ferry and go upstream to the dam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kgrove
04-03-2017, 01:11 PM
I assume this is open... FlowRider thing at Kierland in North Scottsdale (being here, I assume your kids are into water sports). I haven't tried it yet, but being at a resort, I assume it's going to be expensive.
http://kierlandresort.com/fun-things-to-do-in-scottsdale/flowrider/

Cornish Pasty Company is a great, moderately priced, and off the beaten path restaurant in Old Town Scottsdale. Old Town Scottsdale has a bunch of great places to eat and drink, though it may not be the most exciting thing for kids. There is an Escape the Room thing there that kids would like... maybe couple that with eating.

Other things for the kids:
TopGolf
Octane Raceway (fast electric gokarts)
several paintball places around town
Science Museum downtown is pretty good and has a ton of interactive exhibits
Suns game (cheap tickets)
Coyotes game (cheap tickets but far drive from Scottsdale)
hike Camelback Mountain (about 2-3 hrs round trip - go early this time of year and bring water)
aquarium
butterfly museum (I know, but I heard from somebody it was actually cool but confirm with Trip Advisor)

Turtle51
04-04-2017, 11:32 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, we're actually staying at the Westin Kierland so the boys definitely know about the Flowrider.

gwozhog
04-04-2017, 07:09 PM
Did you launch out of lees ferry and go upstream to the dam?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I did.

MCKiwi
04-04-2017, 07:25 PM
I am not sure if they still run them but I rode a mule with a group of others down to the bottom of the canyon and stayed a night and rode up the next day. Was great fun and saw the canyon from a different perspective. Possibly a bit hard on kids the age of yours? This was 'back in the day'
That is one awesome place, stunning scenery and overwhelming proportions.

Blmeanie
04-04-2017, 07:54 PM
Scottsdale = Bandera for casual great food, right on the main drag, love it, make sure you get the jalapeņo cornbread skillet as an appetizer. Chicken with garlic mashed...need to make a trip there.