PDA

View Full Version : L-18 Water Pump Bracket - need help

prostar205
04-02-2017, 02:33 PM
I have the L-18 engine in my 2002 X-30. There is an L-shaped bracket that bolts to the engine on the port (passenger side) that holds the raw water pump with some type of plastic bushing. The bushing is completely worn out. The bracket holds the bushing and it engages with a nipple on the bottom of the raw water pump casting. It appears it has become worn out because the bracket and the nipple are not aligned any more. See pictures.

Does anyone else have this issue?
Do I really need this bracket and bushing? I'm thinking yes or they would not have put it on. It does appear to be stock and not something someone added on.

Any ideas or thoughts on this topic would be much appreciated.

prostar205
04-03-2017, 12:09 PM
BUMP... I know these engines are rare relative to all that have been offered. Can someone with an L-18 take a picture of this bracket and how it interfaces with the raw water pump?

Thanks.

Lars
04-03-2017, 01:48 PM
I can't comment on the L-18 but I just replaced the RWP on my MCX and this actually looks very similar to the 5.7 bracket. Mine's adjustable to help line it up. Hoping this picture helps?

Since there are 3 bolts that connect to the crank pully, you definitely need the bracket, it's what holds the pump body stationary.

Table Rocker
04-03-2017, 04:03 PM
Regarding the bushing, I used a piece of black fuel hose that fit in the bracket. I don't remember if I had to enlarge the center hole with a drill or not, but it is easy to do if you need to.

As to the bracket, I suspect someone bent it while removing the raw water pump. You really need to take the bolts out of the block to get it off the water pump. I would just bend it back where it lined up well with the post on the pump.