PDA

View Full Version : Ceramic Coatings for Boats

Mastercraftdave
03-29-2017, 02:01 PM
So I have been looking into this whole Ceramic Pro Coatings that are being applied to my boat and I'm trying to see if any Teamtalk member has any experience with this. Its looks real nice and make a really nice shine, but its super expensive.

The shop that I just went and saw said that you wouldn't have to wax a boat for 3 years and it wouldn't fade. I find that really hard to believe and there are many things out there that are UV resistant that end up fading.

I was always under the impression that you didn't want to add stuff like this to Gel Coat as it was a porous material that needed to breath and flex.

Im very traditional in the since that I wax 2-3 time a year and clean weekly. Is this really worth it? Anyone have this done yet?

TimX9
03-29-2017, 02:37 PM
We have waxed our Xstar today with a ceramic coating. The supplier told that it would hold for about 3 month's...

DHPRO
03-29-2017, 02:42 PM
I didf Ceramic Quartz on my car and supposed to be good for 3yrs...cost about $900 if I recall. Same guy wants ~$20/ft for the boat and supposed to have it done next several weeks. He says if you keep the boat in the water all season, algae may still appear, but easier to remove. If you clean it regularly the boat will look great for at least the season.

Mastercraftdave
03-29-2017, 02:59 PM
I didf Ceramic Quartz on my car and supposed to be good for 3yrs...cost about $900 if I recall. Same guy wants ~$20/ft for the boat and supposed to have it done next several weeks. He says if you keep the boat in the water all season, algae may still appear, but easier to remove. If you clean it regularly the boat will look great for at least the season.

Yeah they are using the product called Ceramic Pro. They are charging $125/ft. that includes coating everything and I mean everything on the boat i.e. interior, tower, hull, speakers.

He even said he could do it on the teak platform.

Call me old school but I just don't see the long lasting effects. With a good waxing I never have any problems. I was hoping someone else had done it on there boat.

CantRepeat
03-29-2017, 03:08 PM
$900 bucks is a complete ripe off for any coating on a car or boat. It's just wax.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you as well.

http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Brooklyn-Bridge-for-sale.jpg

h_2_o
03-29-2017, 03:28 PM
take the time and use a good wax like collinite and save your money on their snake oil

FourFourty
03-29-2017, 03:56 PM
take the time and use a good wax like collinite and save your money on their snake oil

After having a ceramic coating for a couple years, on a couple different vehicles, I can tell you that it is absolutely not snake oil. The stuff is absolutely incredible, and makes any wax a complete joke. This stuff has only been around a couple years, and you can't apply it yourself. I have watched the procedure, and it (unfortunately) is not DIY.

It seals better than wax, it's way more hydrophobic than wax, it filters UV better than wax, it is ridiculously scratch resistant (wax doesn't really protect from scratching at all)....... it is very good stuff. It's also not cheap.

There are also a bunch of "ceramic" waxes, and diy ceramic kits out there..... and some are pretty good new alternative to wax. However, they don't work anything like the professional ceramic coatings.

I have been dying to try this on my boat, because of how great it has been on my vehicles. I just didn't have the nerve to do it. Gel coat is different than poly clear, and I had not heard of anyone with longer term experience on a boat. There are many people doing it now, so I might finally make the jump. Just didn't want to be one of the first. I am sick of waxing the boat (I wax mine weekly)

Mastercraftdave
03-29-2017, 04:03 PM
After having a ceramic coating for a couple years, on a couple different vehicles, I can tell you that it is absolutely not snake oil. The stuff is absolutely incredible, and makes any wax a complete joke. This stuff has only been around a couple years, and you can't apply it yourself. I have watched the procedure, and it (unfortunately) is not DIY.

It seals better than wax, it's way more hydrophobic than wax, it filters UV better than wax, it is ridiculously scratch resistant (wax doesn't really protect from scratching at all)....... it is very good stuff. It's also not cheap.

There are also a bunch of "ceramic" waxes, and diy ceramic kits out there..... and some are pretty good new alternative to wax. However, they don't work anything like the professional ceramic coatings.

I have been dying to try this on my boat, because of how great it has been on my vehicles. I just didn't have the nerve to do it. Gel coat is different than poly clear, and I had not heard of anyone with longer term experience on a boat. There are many people doing it now, so I might finally make the jump. Just didn't want to be one of the first. I am sick of waxing the boat (I wax mine weekly)

This is the position im in. I'm looking for some long term results first. 440, bite the bullet and give me a review :D

CantRepeat
03-29-2017, 04:29 PM
http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/07/18/nano-coatings-holy-grail-shine-irreversible-error/

$1000 for something that last 2 to 3 years is just plan crazy!!

h_2_o
03-29-2017, 05:01 PM
you do realize cars and boats are in 2 different environments. water time is much harsher than left out in the air, but hey if you want to dump a grand or 2 every year or 2 that is up to you, go for it.

FourFourty
03-29-2017, 05:07 PM
http://www.drbeasleys.com/blog/2014/07/18/nano-coatings-holy-grail-shine-irreversible-error/

$1000 for something that last 2 to 3 years is just plan crazy!!

That really depends on the paint correction portion of the application. If the vehicle is new and you bring it to them flawless and clay barred, the coating is like $200-$300.

Really depends on how picky you are, and how much work your paint needs ahead of time. If you regularly paint correct your own vehicle, and they don't have to do it, it's not that expensive.

Would definitely be nice if it lasted longer than a few years, but at least the next application is a lot cheaper, because the prep is minimal compared to the first application.

MC25
03-29-2017, 05:10 PM
Might seem like a lot for 2-3 years, but a lot can happen to a new boat in that time period. Just check the used market.

CantRepeat
03-29-2017, 05:51 PM
Might seem like a lot for 2-3 years, but a lot can happen to a new boat in that time period. Just check the used market.

Well, I guess if you just want to abuse your new boat then this might be something for you. :rolleyes:

moosehead
03-29-2017, 07:56 PM
FWIW, I'll always use a nano coating on my vehicles after paint correction and clay (Gtechniq, Quartz, others at circa $175 DIY application). Makes the surface super slick and easy to hose down, also protects. Even in our harsh high alpine winters in CO our cars stay sharp with minimal effort. The only nano coatings I would NOT recommend are the glass products, streaked for me after application.

As others said, not sure the same can be said for gelcoat, but once or twice a year collonite waxing plus Babe's spray down keeps her ship shape.

MC25
03-29-2017, 08:29 PM
Well, I guess if you just want to abuse your new boat then this might be something for you. :rolleyes:

Not my cup of tea, but it apparently is a lot of people's lol

SS LS1
03-29-2017, 08:47 PM
Not believing it is a miracle sun fade cure, but if long term effect on gel is a concern why not take that $1,000 and have it professionally detailed a couple times and save yourself the work?

kwoody51
03-29-2017, 11:09 PM
Here you go... DIY and save yourself some $$$. http://www.autogeek.net/gyeon-q2-mohs-50.html Just one of many options out there.

Technically it's not snake oil as the intent is that you are prepping the surface and then coating to creating a very thin layer of SiO2 (silicon oxide/ silica) onto the surface of the paint. Slica is very, very hard and thus a great protecting layer. I don't work with this stuff for cars but have done research on this type of coating for my day job for other applications.

I have no idea how long this stuff lasts but a year wouldn't surprise me. No way would I pay someone $900 or more though as that's crazy. They are trying praying on you not knowing what they are using or the cost of the material and making it seem 'super hard to do'. It's none of those things...

jgraham37128
03-30-2017, 06:06 AM
If you're still using clay to prep a car or boat you're already behind. Nano Skin is the new way to prep and is easier and better. Keep the paint and pad wet you can burn the pad in a second if not wet, and once it's burnt you have to throw it away.

http://www.autogeek.net/nanoskin-autoscrub-medium-grade.html

CantRepeat
03-30-2017, 07:23 AM
If it sounds too good to be true...

DHPRO
03-30-2017, 11:17 AM
$900 bucks is a complete ripe off for any coating on a car or boat. It's just wax.

I've got a bridge in Brooklyn I'd like to sell you as well.

http://www.returnofkings.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/Brooklyn-Bridge-for-sale.jpg

wow...well...Im glad you have all that free time...and I could make a killing if I could own ANY other way off Manhattan - show me the details of what u have.
I wouldnt call it cheap, but together with the paint correction/compounding/wet sanding it came out pretty good. Looked as good at end of summer as beginning, and I dont garage it. That said, boat is in much harsher environment. Having the boat detailed and polished costs me about the same as this will (~$20'). Boat looks like crap within weeks if not sooner. If this will eliminate me having to reapply wax even 1 less time over the summer, then its cash well spent.

hyman989
03-30-2017, 11:33 AM
I keep asking them for quotes and the owner even called me once. Then the local dealer never got back. So reading this post it shows that it's worth it but it's 125 a foot?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maristar210
03-30-2017, 01:14 PM
This smells like Cash Rewards. As if selling a wake boat for 150k isn't enough gouge.

gt23
03-31-2017, 09:58 AM
FWIW, I'll always use a nano coating on my vehicles after paint correction and clay (Gtechniq, Quartz, others at circa $175 DIY application). Makes the surface super slick and easy to hose down, also protects. Even in our harsh high alpine winters in CO our cars stay sharp with minimal effort. The only nano coatings I would NOT recommend are the glass products, streaked for me after application.

As others said, not sure the same can be said for gelcoat, but once or twice a year collonite waxing plus Babe's spray down keeps her ship shape.

Which product brand do you use.

gt23
03-31-2017, 10:02 AM

And for the cars which exact product of gtech do you use.

moosehead
03-31-2017, 10:58 AM
^G, for our cars I've used Gtechniq C1, but lately have been using 22PLE's VX Pro followed by VS1 Pro. Both nano coating systems last me roughly 18-24 months. You can also do normal wax on top of these coatings but significantly less cleaning and waxing is needed with them.

Gtechniq has now added a "Marine" section below and shows both C1 and C1.5 Silo Seal for gelcoat. I will be the test dummy with these this year as there is already too much time spent buffing and polishing the MC.

http://usa.gtechniq.com/products/marine/protect/exterior/gel-coat/

moosehead
05-21-2017, 11:33 AM
Just applied the 22PLE to the MC. Once polished (by far the most work to remove any swirls or gel scratches) and then wiped with 50% IPA/water mix, the coating just wipes on with a small sponge, then 5 minutes later follow by hand with mircrofiber.

Actually easier to do than a wax and left the MC looking "wet". It is not slick like a wax but definitely resists water and dirt and makes a post outing wipe down significantly easier.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/1ba3c4dc5f68debdc7bf2a493b8eab2a.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170521/9e946aad6a67e5b6bc119b11916d1aae.jpg

mts205
05-21-2017, 10:03 PM
That looks incredible moose

lashburn1
05-22-2017, 01:59 AM
nice!!!
How much was that?$$$
How long did it take?

DHPRO
05-22-2017, 07:33 AM
Got mine back today...GTechniq was used as its one of the best to use on gel-coat due to its porosity. Gel-coat was in pretty bad shape with swirls and buff burn from boat yard detail & polish past few years. Turned out pretty good! Beware though that decals will not adhere to the coating, so put registration #/sticker before...thats why the blue tape.

MC25
05-22-2017, 09:03 AM
One of the best looking x30s of all time!!!

hondaprlud
05-22-2017, 09:10 AM
Got mine back today...GTechniq was used as its one of the best to use on gel-coat due to its porosity. Gel-coat was in pretty bad shape with swirls and buff burn from boat yard detail & polish past few years. Turned out pretty good! Beware though that decals will not adhere to the coating, so put registration #/sticker before...thats why the blue tape.

That's a sweet setup!

moosehead
05-22-2017, 09:16 AM
^Pricing:

GTechniq Exo 50 ml: $69

22 PLE 50 ml: $159

Edit: Above is product cost, elbow grease is DIY, which is same process my MCOCD goes through anyway every year with polish and wax.

clrussell
05-22-2017, 09:53 AM

Thanks for the info on the stickers!

haroldbrogers
05-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Very sweet set up, someone "murdered" your truck and boat!

CottagerGreg
05-22-2017, 10:50 AM
Sweet looking murdered setup!

I used glidecoat on my boat and truck/cars. Very happy with the coating and yes the "wet" look is awesome!

DHPRO
05-22-2017, 11:45 AM
^Pricing:

GTechniq Exo 50 ml: $69

22 PLE 50 ml: $159

Mine was little more than that! ...but it was done all the way to the keel (except where it sits on trailer rails) and comes with 5y warranty and the paint correction was where the real money was spent. Looks almost new!

XC500mod
05-23-2017, 09:06 AM
^G, for our cars I've used Gtechniq C1, but lately have been using 22PLE's VX Pro followed by VS1 Pro. Both nano coating systems last me roughly 18-24 months. You can also do normal wax on top of these coatings but significantly less cleaning and waxing is needed with them.

Gtechniq has now added a "Marine" section below and shows both C1 and C1.5 Silo Seal for gelcoat. I will be the test dummy with these this year as there is already too much time spent buffing and polishing the MC.

http://usa.gtechniq.com/products/marine/protect/exterior/gel-coat/

moose, why the change from Gtechniq C1 to 22PLE?

thanks

moosehead
05-23-2017, 10:15 AM
^Just trying various products and tend to buy on sale. IME, the Gtechniq and 22PLE feel like very similar products in feel, smell, and application. Will report back later on how the 22PLE holds up on the MC.

A local detailer recommends the Ceramic Pro which reportedly provides 4-5 year protection.

XC500mod
05-23-2017, 10:47 AM
^Just trying various products and tend to buy on sale. IME, the Gtechniq and 22PLE feel like very similar products in feel, smell, and application. Will report back later on how the 22PLE holds up on the MC.

A local detailer recommends the Ceramic Pro which reportedly provides 4-5 year protection.

Moose another question for you.

How much gtechniq c1 will i need for a 2500 HD crew cab truck? Also, what equipment do you all need to get the best result? would you recommend a clay bar before hand? i don't want to get into the job and realize i have to start over because i didn't do the steps correctly.

thanks man! boat looks amazing

Mastercraftdave
05-23-2017, 11:13 AM

Ceramic Pro hasn't even been in business that long. The local guy hear told me that and I asked how does he know that it will last that long since he has only been applying this stuff for a year.

The jury is still out on this stuff. I just purchased a full waterline cover and that is the best protection. I find that a god wax at the end of beginning of each season gets the job done. If this ceramic coating shows its lasting after a few years, I may think about it but for now having it professionally done is off my list.

CottagerGreg
05-23-2017, 12:10 PM
Glidecoat Marine- 80ml bottle is $79.99
http://www.glidecoat.com/product/glidecoat-marine/

I was told 2 seasons... then again my OCD will cause me to coat yearly.

moosehead
05-23-2017, 01:12 PM
Moose another question for you.

How much gtechniq c1 will i need for a 2500 HD crew cab truck? Also, what equipment do you all need to get the best result? would you recommend a clay bar before hand? i don't want to get into the job and realize i have to start over because i didn't do the steps correctly.

thanks man! boat looks amazing

You may get away with 30ML bottle if your paint and clear are corrected and in great shape, but I would recommend 50ML for a boat or quad cab extended bed truck. Many apply two coats as well or do another small car so extra material will get used.

Unless your truck is new or has been kept immaculate and garaged since new, I would recommend two-bucket wash, clay, polish with rotary buffer and wool bonnet, IPA wipe down, then nano coat. This is my typical MCOCD process anyway so the nano coating replaces the final wax coat and is easier to do than collonite which takes more elbow grease.

Note you need to toss out any sponge applicators and microfiber towels after the nano coating process as the liquid hardens and would otherwise cause scratches if the applicators are reused.

Ceramic Pro hasn't even been in business that long. The local guy hear told me that and I asked how does he know that it will last that long since he has only been applying this stuff for a year.

The jury is still out on this stuff. I just purchased a full waterline cover and that is the best protection. I find that a god wax at the end of beginning of each season gets the job done. If this ceramic coating shows its lasting after a few years, I may think about it but for now having it professionally done is off my list.

Ceramic Pro and Opticoat reportedly have at or near 9H hardness ratings for 5-7 year use vs. say 4H for the two year product. Opticoat provides a 7 year warranty. The auto industry has been using nano coatings for years on paint and clear coats that are much more fragile than gel. Plenty of real world use of it out there. It works impressively well for my vehicles in extreme winter conditions.

Thanks CG, could not find that sale price at the time but will jump on this.

DHPRO
05-23-2017, 04:59 PM
If it makes the boat easier to wash, less likely to water spot, and look "wet" and shiney after a simple wash for even 1 season - then I'll consider it $ well spent! Black boats are a nightmare to keep looking good...

Polak
05-24-2017, 08:13 AM
Ceramic Pro and Opticoat reportedly have at or near 9H hardness ratings for 5-7 year use vs. say 4H for the two year product. Opticoat provides a 7 year warranty.

I don't think Opticoat offers the 5 or 7 year warranty on boat applications, only autos.

I have a buddy who's detail shop does Opticoat. He did the X25 pictured below a couple of years ago (don't know it they're on TT and can attest), but he said it's holding up very well.

Stevext23
05-24-2017, 08:29 AM
For a brand new boat, this may be a good time to put something on. After reading this thread, I see several options...so based on do-it-yourself, was there any conclusions? Or more suggestions?

XC500mod
02-06-2018, 09:24 PM
Any new information, reviews, or opinions on ceramic coatings?

CottagerGreg
02-06-2018, 09:55 PM
My Glidecoat lasted the season and still look great. resisted scuffs from bumpers better. Easier to wipe down after use and more.

I am going to be applying to my new boat when I get it in April.

Morety
02-06-2018, 10:29 PM
Do you use any kind of spray cleaner / wax to wipe down, or can you just wipe it with a microfiber after the ceramic coating?

agarabaghi
02-07-2018, 09:51 AM
there are so many diy coatings now that anyone can apply. they take a little more to apply than a wax or sealant, and need to cure in the shade for a while.

Is it worth it? not sure.

You need to use soap that is ph neutral for coatings and you dont really wax on top of them. they have some rapid sprays to clean up the coating.

Check out http://gyeonquartz.com/ for some great DIY coatings

CottagerGreg
02-07-2018, 09:58 AM
Do you use any kind of spray cleaner / wax to wipe down, or can you just wipe it with a microfiber after the ceramic coating?

Just quick detailer (non-wax)

DHPRO
02-07-2018, 11:33 AM

I agree the jury is out on how long it lasts. As for look and maintenance its proven pretty effective for me. Simple wipe down, no scum line...cuts my detailing time by 2/3rds on a Black boat. That alone was worth the price! Lets see how it does in the second season...

My detailer suggested the Gtechniq over Ceramicpro for gelcoat. Apperently the gelcoat porousity v cars favors the Gtechniq as more effective single coat. Wasnt really any price diff to me.

XC500mod
02-08-2018, 11:10 AM
Dhpro,

Any idea what Gtechiq was used in your boat?

CottagerGreg
02-08-2018, 11:42 AM
Ceramic Pro is way over priced. Plenty of other brands at fraction of the cost and I bet they get from same chemical mfg facility.

XC500mod
02-08-2018, 12:54 PM

greg, did 1 80ml bottle cover your whole boat? are you going to use the same thing for your new black xt21?

Mastercraftdave
02-08-2018, 01:01 PM
My detailer suggested the Gtechniq over Ceramicpro for gelcoat. Apperently the gelcoat porousity v cars favors the Gtechniq as more effective single coat. Wasnt really any price diff to me.

This is the problem that I have with the ceramic coatings, gel coat is a porous material and will flex, the Ceramic coating is filling in those voids to achieve the end results. I'm curious as to how it will affect the hull over time if it does at all.

I was quotes $2300 to have my X23 done. with CeramicPro. Needless to say I spent the money on a nice waterline cover so I get zero fading.

CottagerGreg
02-08-2018, 01:07 PM
greg, did 1 80ml bottle cover your whole boat? are you going to use the same thing for your new black xt21?

That bottle did the boat, SUV and 3 cars and I have a bit left.

I will be coating the boat before delivery. Asked my dealer to polish the boat but not to apply wax.

XC500mod
02-09-2018, 11:47 AM
greg, my detailing knowledge is not great. on a new boat, why would you want the dealer to do a polish? is this done with a buffer?

also did you apply the glide coat marine to the interior hull of the boat?

the more tips and step by step instructions including what rags/sponges you use the better. appreciate it!

agarabaghi
02-09-2018, 12:06 PM
you do not apply coating to a hull that has been polished and waxed.... you want to apply coating to a the bare gel coat or clear coat. so thats the hardest part is doing the proper removal of all waxes and sealants on the hull.

For cars we use a polish with no wax or silica, and then an ipa wipe down. then correct any scratches then whip it down again then apply coating

agarabaghi
02-09-2018, 12:06 PM
you guys needs to readup on this stuff before you jump on it. 99% of detailers are scamming you with some wax based product they are calling a coatings.

autogeek.net for info!

moosehead
02-09-2018, 03:16 PM
^A, to clarify, Autogeek sells a bunch of nano coating products and I've bought from them. I believe the distinction again is DIY for less than $200.

agarabaghi
02-09-2018, 03:29 PM
yes you can def do DIY for under $200 if you have the stuff (towels, prep, DA etc....)

CottagerGreg
02-11-2018, 09:38 AM
greg, my detailing knowledge is not great. on a new boat, why would you want the dealer to do a polish? is this done with a buffer?

also did you apply the glide coat marine to the interior hull of the boat?

the more tips and step by step instructions including what rags/sponges you use the better. appreciate it!

You polish to make sure the boat is 100% perfect. Use a non wax based polish. Then you wipe boat down in a cleaning agent (isopropyl) to make sure ALL wax, oils and such are removed. Then you apply your ceramic coating.

Do your research, read instructions and do not do if you have doubts. I used to detail cars in school for extra cash.

I will not do interior seats.. just fiberglass areas

XC500mod
03-19-2018, 05:58 PM
Some pics of the x23 after applying glidecoat marine. The boat used about 60 mls. The guys at glidecoat were great about answering a few questions. I canít get over how this thing shines. These pics are with fluorescent indoor lighting. I canít wait to see what it looks like outside.

XC500mod
03-19-2018, 06:02 PM

Im interested in the durability, but as of now it looks much better than wax and easier to apply.

CottagerGreg
03-19-2018, 11:30 PM
Mine lasted a full season no issues so far

DHPRO
03-20-2018, 08:03 AM
great job! Be aware...registration and stickers generally DO NOT adhere well to these coatings. My detailer reapplied my #'s and decals before, and taped off a square for the state sticker.

Mastercraftdave
03-20-2018, 08:07 AM

Im interested in the durability, but as of now it looks much better than wax and easier to apply.

That is one great looking X23....

What steps are involved in the process? Cut and/or Compound, Polish, etc..

JTNG
03-26-2018, 10:28 AM
Would like to know how hard it is to DIY. Planning for new XT22 and 2006 F250

moosehead
03-26-2018, 10:48 AM
If gel is newer or has no need for swirl removal/polish, then DIY is same as wax.

Wash, iso/alcohol wipe down to remove wax, then DIY nano is cotton cloth applicator and micro fiber wipe down.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

lashburn1
03-26-2018, 12:27 PM
I had this on my G21... It was a demo boat and a Demo Application for the companys photo. Not sure how long it had been on the boat before we purchased.
It looked nice on the sides, but I think it had worn off the top deck. I was contantly removing hard water spots after a couple months.

Not sure what to think or if I would just wax myself ... vs paying for the application.

cal2vin
03-26-2018, 02:10 PM
I have an appointment to get my 13 x25 done over the weekend. I went with the gtechniq crystal serum light and a double coating of the exo outer coating. Anyone have experience with the crystal serum light on a boat? I was up in the air between that and the c1 coating by gtechniq. Anyone using either on gelcoat. Saw somewhere that the crystal serum is best for new paint and clear coats but c1 is best for gel coat. Of course I read that after I had already had the detailer order crystal serum light.

XC500mod
03-26-2018, 03:29 PM
I used the glidecoat marine the cottager greg recommended. we used about 75% of the 80 ml bottle. I'll have to order another bottle to get my truck done as well.

the process was to wash the boat, IPA wipe down, then apply the glidecoat. my buddy is a detailer and did all of this in 4 hours.

FoggyNogginz
03-26-2018, 03:58 PM
This video is a little slow to watch, but this guy makes some good points about the pros and cons of wax versus ceramic coatings; including durability, longevity and maintenance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=77&v=93MmQhNwqxk

This guy also mentions waterspots as being a larger issue with ceramic coatings (around the 5 min mark), but says that if you wipe it down (of course) then you can help prevent this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ikTRLP6-N90

Finally, here is a completely cheesy Ceramic Pro Training video on how to apply. They also mention what to do if you make mistakes and don't catch them until the next day (think "wetsand" lol) :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MRemwkzkQhA

This thread just made me want to learn more, so I've been doing some research. I still haven't really formed an opinion yet, but the reflection looks amazing.

MattsCraft
03-27-2018, 10:17 AM
Thanks for sharing - Now after watching all these, positive I will stick with good old twice a year & good old high quality 100% carnuba wax!

CottagerGreg
03-27-2018, 10:34 AM
I used the glidecoat marine the cottager greg recommended. we used about 75% of the 80 ml bottle. I'll have to order another bottle to get my truck done as well.

the process was to wash the boat, IPA wipe down, then apply the glidecoat. my buddy is a detailer and did all of this in 4 hours.

I got the 150ml bottle from glidecoat.

Glidecoat unlike Ceramic Pro does not need special lighting or curing process. It's also a fraction of the price.

As for waterspots I had no issues as I wipe down the boat all the time.

mbartholome
04-02-2018, 10:27 PM
After having cQuartz applied to my black 18 Raptor, I can tell you this stuff is not snake oil. I have had a ton of cars and used a lot of different waxes, even sprung for some of the dealer applied protectants. Nothing compares to what this does to your finish and the way it sheds water. It is worth every penny of the $1200 it cost. Have washed the truck 5 times and it looks like day 1. I am having the shop do my X23 as long as the manufacture says OK on gel coat. If you have not tired a true nano coating, don't knock it. It technically is different that wax, sealants, protectants.

gwozhog
04-02-2018, 11:03 PM
900 bucks for wax. No thanks, rather spend it on Hookers and booze and a 20 dollar can of 3m marine wax.

CottagerGreg
04-03-2018, 09:24 AM
900 bucks for wax. No thanks, rather spend it on Hookers and booze and a 20 dollar can of 3m marine wax.

Labour is the big factor in the cost. If you do it yourself and have the skills to do an OCD type of job then you are looking at $100 of materials or so.

curver900
04-03-2018, 09:36 AM
avoid car washes is a deal breaker here in the great white north..

cal2vin
04-03-2018, 10:19 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20180403/29153f65fc8ffe17eb4188202e257c4c.jpgI got mine back and the shine came out great. Time will tell how long it lasts. I got GTechniq Crystal Serum Light with a double layer of the EXO outter coating.

moosehead
04-03-2018, 10:24 AM
I am wondering if the Hot Sauce wipe down in some way lessens the useful protection life of the ceramics, or if there is an alternative wipe down spray that better preserves the ceramic yet still gets water spots?

In either case, the wipe down is much easier and faster and longer lasting protection with the ceramics vs wax.

This will be the second season on our X10 with the ceramic, will report back late summer.

cal2vin
04-03-2018, 10:27 AM
Yea I need to ask the company or detailer what the best way to wipe it down after a day on the water is.

cal2vin
04-03-2018, 11:25 AM
I am wondering if the Hot Sauce wipe down in some way lessens the useful protection life of the ceramics, or if there is an alternative wipe down spray that better preserves the ceramic yet still gets water spots?

In either case, the wipe down is much easier and faster and longer lasting protection with the ceramics vs wax.

This will be the second season on our X10 with the ceramic, will report back late summer.

What do you guys use to wipe down after taking the boat out? Do you ever wash the boat with a mit and any kind of soap. My installer said he recommended a rinseless wash and was going to get me he name of it but hasn’t yet.

Zrlee
04-03-2018, 11:46 AM
I use chemical guys boat wipe down or Croftgate quick & slick.

cal2vin
04-03-2018, 11:52 AM
I use chemical guys boat wipe down or Croftgate quick & slick.

With a ceramic coated boat?

Zrlee
04-03-2018, 12:05 PM
I don’t have my boat ceramic coated but I do use the Croftgate Quick & Slick on my ceramic coated car.

mitch
04-04-2018, 07:59 AM
After having cQuartz applied to my black 18 Raptor, I can tell you this stuff is not snake oil. I have had a ton of cars and used a lot of different waxes, even sprung for some of the dealer applied protectants. Nothing compares to what this does to your finish and the way it sheds water. It is worth every penny of the $1200 it cost. Have washed the truck 5 times and it looks like day 1. I am having the shop do my X23 as long as the manufacture says OK on gel coat. If you have not tired a true nano coating, don't knock it. It technically is different that wax, sealants, protectants.

Cquartz finest is legit, had it applied to my last 3 black Mercedes after paint correction. Had my my 18 Colorado done with Opti-coat due to the 5 year warranty. After 2 years with cquartz you could see it lose its effectiveness some, but cquartz seems to have a better gloss..if I could do it over with the Colorado I think I'd go back to cquartz...

CottagerGreg
04-04-2018, 09:34 AM
Quick wash after a Canadian winter with concentrated salt, brine and sand.

Shines and beads water like no one's business

moleson10
04-04-2018, 04:05 PM
I used to think I was ocd but after reading this thread I have learned I was wrong. Where do you guys find the time?

FWIW, I polish & wax 1/year (sometimes skip a year) and the boat looks like new (to me). Wipe down with hot sauce after every use and spray wax periodically during the season. Boat is always garaged except when being used. Maybe my eyesight is deteriorating at the same rate as my gelcoat, dunno.

XC500mod
04-04-2018, 09:33 PM
Greg love the blue if that Audi. Did you put glidecoat on that?

CottagerGreg
04-05-2018, 09:46 AM
Greg love the blue if that Audi. Did you put glidecoat on that?

yes, coated it when I got it last June

Grover777
04-24-2019, 07:07 PM
Has anyone tried the Simoniz GlassCoat? Looking at doing the boat.

Thanks

Wakejunkie
04-24-2019, 07:14 PM
Has anyone tried the Simoniz GlassCoat? Looking at doing the boat.

Thanks

Yes on my billet wheels and car. It holds up decent not sure how it will hold up on a boat long term

XC500mod
04-24-2019, 07:37 PM
I have no affiliation with glide coat but I can tell you their product is legit. My black hulled boat with ceramic glidecoat was easier to keep clean than a white hull boat with wax. Their customer service is very good, they will walk you through the steps.

The boat needs 2 coats of ceramic coating and the truck gets 1. In the northern climates the boat coating will last 4-6 years. All of this for $250 bucks and the time saved vs waxing twice/year and easier weekly cleanings makes it worth it.

Vinegar and demineralized water for water spot wipe down works great. I do think water spots are different depending upon the minerals in your lake, so another product may work better.

wilhelmwake
04-25-2019, 01:53 AM
This is the product that was recommended to me for a boat ceramic coating: Gyeon yacht coating. I also have never tried DIY ceramic coating , but I figure with a one component product it really should not be that hard. Where I am struggling a bit is how to do the hull with boat sitting on trailer. I have one of those much uglier european trailers so the bunks are all adjustable, so I was thinking of using some kind of styrofoam bales to support the boat against the trailer frame when lowering the trailer bunks momentarily to apply the coating onto the bunk area. A lift of somekind would really be the money in this case. Also if it is nice weather outside could one apply the coating outside or do you recommend doing it indoors only?

Elberoth
04-25-2019, 03:09 AM
Gyeon makes quality products. I have all my cars and wheels coated with Gyeon products.

Wakejunkie
04-25-2019, 07:04 AM
This is the product that was recommended to me for a boat ceramic coating: Gyeon yacht coating. I also have never tried DIY ceramic coating , but I figure with a one component product it really should not be that hard. Where I am struggling a bit is how to do the hull with boat sitting on trailer. I have one of those much uglier european trailers so the bunks are all adjustable, so I was thinking of using some kind of styrofoam bales to support the boat against the trailer frame when lowering the trailer bunks momentarily to apply the coating onto the bunk area. A lift of somekind would really be the money in this case. Also if it is nice weather outside could one apply the coating outside or do you recommend doing it indoors only?

You can do the coating outside just not in a dusty environment. Preferably inside but if that isnít possible no worries. Usually mornings when the air is still would be a good time. The costing gets tacky during the install and can absorb air particulates. I wouldnít do anything below the water line. The amount of water abrasion while driving will wear it off in a month. At and above the water line is the right area to do it.

JimN
04-25-2019, 09:21 AM
Yeah they are using the product called Ceramic Pro. They are charging $125/ft. that includes coating everything and I mean everything on the boat i.e. interior, tower, hull, speakers.

He even said he could do it on the teak platform.

Call me old school but I just don't see the long lasting effects. With a good waxing I never have any problems. I was hoping someone else had done it on there boat.

What is that gonna do for wood???????????????????????????????

Tookeymonster
04-25-2019, 11:19 AM

As long as you use a good quality ceramic and let it cure properly Hot Sauce will not strip a ceramic or a wax. It also adds a little bit of protection to help get water spots off easier.

wilhelmwake
04-27-2019, 06:17 AM
You can do the coating outside just not in a dusty environment. Preferably inside but if that isnít possible no worries. Usually mornings when the air is still would be a good time. The costing gets tacky during the install and can absorb air particulates. I wouldnít do anything below the water line. The amount of water abrasion while driving will wear it off in a month. At and above the water line is the right area to do it.

Thanks for the advice. I am just confused about your comment about only applying the coating above waterline as the whole point for me is to apply the coating below waterline and make it hopefully super easy to remove scum off the hull when pulling the boat out. Normal wax is completely fine for everything above waterline as it is really easy to apply and in Scandinavia the sun is not as harsh as in say Texas, so the UV inhibitors in good quality waxes are sufficient. As my new boat will have a completely white hull I really want a great protective layer below the water line. The new marine ceramic coatings should be good for at least a season below waterline in salt water and as I only use my boat in sweet water it should be good for 2-3 seasons. This is what I have been told ??

Wakejunkie
04-27-2019, 02:38 PM
Thanks for the advice. I am just confused about your comment about only applying the coating above waterline as the whole point for me is to apply the coating below waterline and make it hopefully super easy to remove scum off the hull when pulling the boat out. Normal wax is completely fine for everything above waterline as it is really easy to apply and in Scandinavia the sun is not as harsh as in say Texas, so the UV inhibitors in good quality waxes are sufficient. As my new boat will have a completely white hull I really want a great protective layer below the water line. The new marine ceramic coatings should be good for at least a season below waterline in salt water and as I only use my boat in sweet water it should be good for 2-3 seasons. This is what I have been told ??

Well yes you can do the entire bottom. The water will wear the coating off faster than the sides. Itís just water on hull contact that wears it off. I would expect it to only last one season on the very bottom. You could do hydro silex on the sides to help keep it coated. I plane to do 2 layers ceramic coating on outside then one coat inside and hydro silex everywhere on top of coating.

wilhelmwake
04-27-2019, 05:52 PM
Well yes you can do the entire bottom. The water will wear the coating off faster than the sides. Itís just water on hull contact that wears it off. I would expect it to only last one season on the very bottom. You could do hydro silex on the sides to help keep it coated. I plane to do 2 layers ceramic coating on outside then one coat inside and hydro silex everywhere on top of coating.

I am no expert, but if the ceramic coating was designed for yachts, surely it must be very different in terms of durability in marine environment Vs ceramic coating that is designed for cars. My point is that even though what you are saying is of course logical, but are you now talking about a coating meant for cars or a specific marine coating?

Wakejunkie
04-27-2019, 06:07 PM
I am no expert, but if the ceramic coating was designed for yachts, surely it must be very different in terms of durability in marine environment Vs ceramic coating that is designed for cars. My point is that even though what you are saying is of course logical, but are you now talking about a coating meant for cars or a specific marine coating?

Well either way both are made for their application. Marine will last longer but the same physics apply when itís a liquid ceramic coating. It will wear off eventually. The more coats you put on the longer it lasts. I would do at least 2 if not 3 coats on it.

My car coating lasts about a year with one coat in normal driving conditions. I just reapply another layer each spring. Thatís why I suggested the hydro silex marine spray after the ceramic coating. This product is a nice easy quick coat to protect and prolong the ceramic on the hull.

wilhelmwake
04-28-2019, 03:53 AM
Well either way both are made for their application. Marine will last longer but the same physics apply when itís a liquid ceramic coating. It will wear off eventually. The more coats you put on the longer it lasts. I would do at least 2 if not 3 coats on it.

My car coating lasts about a year with one coat in normal driving conditions. I just reapply another layer each spring. Thatís why I suggested the hydro silex marine spray after the ceramic coating. This product is a nice easy quick coat to protect and prolong the ceramic on the hull.

Thanks man for the good pointers🙏

bret
04-28-2019, 08:43 PM
Sticking with wax and sealant, after clay bar and Meguiars 105 for correction. Ardex Miami Carnuba and Ardex Miami Sealant.

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1479_zpswyyey7c0.jpg (https://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1479_zpswyyey7c0.jpg.html)

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1478_zpsusih0of1.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1478_zpsusih0of1.jpg.html)

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1475_zpsxsxih7pr.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1475_zpsxsxih7pr.jpg.html)

John Johnson
04-28-2019, 09:02 PM
Bret-that is a beautiful boat. Wow.

hunter991
04-29-2019, 08:24 AM
Personally don't think ceramic is worth the cost. I use a good coat of marine sealant 2x per year and my boats look fantastic. $20 a bottle and i get to spend time admiring my boat.

Mastercraftdave
04-29-2019, 10:16 AM
Sticking with wax and sealant, after clay bar and Meguiars 105 for correction. Ardex Miami Carnuba and Ardex Miami Sealant.

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1479_zpswyyey7c0.jpg (https://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1479_zpswyyey7c0.jpg.html)

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1478_zpsusih0of1.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1478_zpsusih0of1.jpg.html)

https://oi173.photobucket.com/albums/w68/blpski/IMG_1475_zpsxsxih7pr.jpg (http://s173.photobucket.com/user/blpski/media/IMG_1475_zpsxsxih7pr.jpg.html)

Great looking shine

Mastercraftdave
04-29-2019, 10:17 AM
Personally don't think ceramic is worth the cost. I use a good coat of marine sealant 2x per year and my boats look fantastic. $20 a bottle and i get to spend time admiring my boat.

Couldn't agree more. I wax mine twice a year and religiously keep spray wax on the boat and never have any issues.

wilhelmwake
04-29-2019, 01:53 PM
BUT........ you do not Moore your boat, you keep it on the lift. I Moore my boat for the summer and yes I do pull it out couple times to take it to another lake or just for a clean up. Mooring the boat hopefully will benefit from the CERAMIC COATING, as the underwater part of the hull is the most terrible too clean and then wax.

JTNG
04-29-2019, 02:05 PM
I always love looking at your boat Bret:D

wilhelmwake
05-05-2019, 05:28 AM
It is almost time to pic up my new Xstar on the 16th of May and I am still unsure, whether to put on CERAMIC PRO STRONG multi layer coating on my new vessel. The only thing holding me back is the fact that here in Finland as the industry is so small there are not many places that do these ceramic coatings to boats and the few that do do not have proper overhead cranes in their facilities. So I googled a company that has received excellent reviews of their overall work and yes the owner was super helpful. The same case though no overhead crane to lift the boat. He then offered to come put the coating on anywhere if I could find a place with proper crane. Luckily my neighbour has a man cave that has a 5000kg overhead crane, but here comes my question: I would estimate that the highest lifting height would be 6 meters and that is the height of the lifting hook on that crane. So can I just hook lifting harnesses to that single hook and then to the from and rear lifting rings and have the boat hanging for the required 72 hours for the Ceramic pro to dry out. The ones that have had the coating done has your installer lift the boat from the front and rear rings using a single point lift or do I need a lifting bracket to have at least 2 lifting spots?

CantRepeat
05-05-2019, 06:35 AM

Looks terrible, you should try selling it? I can be there tomorrow to take it off your hands. :D

Costas
05-05-2019, 04:05 PM
If you need something special for your boat.
Hempel Varnish Diamond. First just blur with sandpaper P500 second wash with fresh water and dry , finaly spray

The boat is X5
mod. 2003

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/2263c2e5a280a948cf61fc5bae687463.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/0c802135bb47a0ba790718ee1f675b62.jpg

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190505/aceda58594788899d3946382ffc82a40.jpg

bret
05-05-2019, 11:06 PM
A friend did that and it looked great for 3 years then started cracking. It was @#%&! hell to take off and get back to where we could wet sand and buff.

Thanks for the compliments guys, I'll keep it a while. :)

nautibynature
05-06-2019, 04:32 PM
Varnish on gelcoat? Heard it all now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

hyman989
05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Anyone thoughts on Adam's coating spray?

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

bret
05-06-2019, 08:15 PM
Varnish on gelcoat? Heard it all now.

The shine is good from 5ft away (hides UV damage) and makes a wet look. But as it gets older, it starts flaking off and the boat looks bad.

But when you get up close to it, the Orange Peel in the finish is horrible.

nautibynature
05-06-2019, 09:28 PM
So the varnish hides oxydation temporarily? No way I'd put that on a boat. Wet sand, 3m Super Duty will bring the shine back. Back on topic, a buddy of mine bought some Hydrosilex. I put it on the bottom of my boat to see how it holds up. My boat is on a lift and only comes out when we ski, as soon as it's back in the lift it gets scrubbed to keep scum line off of it.

m5guy
05-06-2019, 10:32 PM
Used Chemical Guys Carbon Flex C9 on our X26 and several cars. Just started using CQuartz 3.0 on last two cars. The C9 works very well on the X26 so far and makes wipe down/water spot removal much easier. I do think the CQuartz works much better and have moved to using that exclusively.

Gelcoat from the factory was... quite awful (first picture). A lot of wheel time and correction got it looking good. Applied C9 and so far it is holding up well (only 1 season). I will use CQuartz on next boat in a few years.

Paint/gel correction is always the part that takes the most time - ceramic coating is relatively easy to apply.

Costas
05-07-2019, 06:58 AM
Before I took this choice my friend did it and he did it three years ago and his boat is still perfect that's why I tried it.
It looks great though

JVDT
05-07-2019, 10:25 AM
I did it 2 1/2 years ago. Most of the money is in the gel coat corrections. My x-45 looks show room finish only takes 10-15 minutes in the ARIZONA sun at 115 degrees. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190507/79e43798c9acaec3d57c72233f6744b9.jpg