PDA

View Full Version : Registration Numbers - Not Sticking

ryancassidy
03-24-2017, 04:50 PM
So I ordered some Domed Numbers for my new X10. They wouldn't Stick! Couldn't believe it! Such an odd issue I thought. I called Domed Numbers and they promptly decided to send out a new set (great customer service of course), but curious if anyone else has had this issue before. It was in the 40's when I tried the first time, but the 2nd time it was in the upper 60's low 70's as I was curious if it was the cold that prevented the adhesive from working. All I did was use windex to clean the area, let it dry. Just odd I thought.

neil.anderson63
03-24-2017, 05:23 PM
You aged 20-30 years while installing?:D
Low temps are not friendly with adhesives

mikeg205
03-24-2017, 05:38 PM
that shouldn't have been a problem... heat with blow dryer after installing.. let sit 24 hours.

ryancassidy
03-24-2017, 06:11 PM
You aged 20-30 years while installing?:D

LOL good catch.. Fixed that :-)

paintball007
03-24-2017, 06:25 PM
So I ordered some Domed Numbers for my new X10. They wouldn't Stick! Couldn't believe it! Such an odd issue I thought. I called Domed Numbers and they promptly decided to send out a new set (great customer service of course), but curious if anyone else has had this issue before. It was in the 40's when I tried the first time, but the 2nd time it was in the upper 60's low 70's as I was curious if it was the cold that prevented the adhesive from working. All I did was use windex to clean the area, let it dry. Just odd I thought.

I have used their products many times with no issues. I always prep the surface with isopropyl alcohol first to remove all wax and residue.

CantRepeat
03-24-2017, 06:36 PM
I have used their products many times with no issues. I always prep the surface with isopropyl alcohol first to remove all wax and residue.

This is a must!!

ttu
03-24-2017, 06:53 PM

ditto. to bad domed numbers is NOT allowed to do any mc decals anymore. they have a great product.

JagNL
03-24-2017, 06:58 PM
Try these 3M adhesion promoter sponges. You run these over the surface before trying to adhere the decal, it helps promote the adhesion. I've used these on my vehicles where the moldings would always fall off, after using these they are on there like don't budge! I cleaned the surface with isopropyl alcohol, then use this adhesion promoter, then the decal and you're good to go.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Adhesion-Promoter-Sponge-Applicator/dp/B004TGJU2A

Side tip - if you have a local O'Reillys Autoparts store some
of them carry these in the back for shops. You can call one up in your area and they will tell you if any of the stores close by carry them.

jakethebt
03-24-2017, 08:05 PM
I had no issue but I installed in the summer and I cleaned with acetone.

Thrall
03-25-2017, 07:12 PM
If your mcocd had a good cost of wax, a shot of Windex wouldn't take all the wax off. Clean with a solvent.

jgraham37128
03-25-2017, 09:53 PM
Use alcohol... it has a thick coat of carbanuba wax from the mold....