PDA

View Full Version : New H.O. Ski A3, or S2?

h2oskifreak
06-09-2014, 02:56 PM
I am ready for a new ski. I have had HO for the last 3 skies and think I want to do the same again. Skiing a 2007 Monza right now and like it a lot but think the tech. advances and $ on hand necessitates a new ski. I am 48 y/o and ski 34 mph and get my 28 off most times, 32 off 1/2 the time and the occassional 35 off comes my way. My P.B. is 3 @ 38. I weigh 173-178lbs. during the ski season and I am 6' tall. What length of ski should I get and what model? My buddy says "get the A3 and ski it 34mph, I know several who sold their S2 and went back to the A3 and they are 34 mph skiers". My buddy knows a lot about the sport, matter of fact a few years ago he was second at Nationals. What input can you guys give me before I spend $1,300 on a blank? BTW, Price appears to be identical. Thanks for your input, in advance.

JMLVMI
06-09-2014, 03:13 PM
For the amount of money those skis cost, I would demand a demo of both before choosing.

André
06-09-2014, 04:57 PM
I agree.If you're sure to buy and put a deposit down,any serious ski shop will let you try both in any lenghts you want.
3 HO in a row?
Time for some change!
Think Radar Vapor.I'm still on a 2010 Strada but Vapor will be my choice next year.

dlamont
06-09-2014, 05:22 PM
I've skied both but like the S2 more. You are well above my skill level so the A3 might be a better choice. I just liked the S2 more because it seemed to be a little more forgiving.
Both are great skis, demo both, but maybe grab a Vapor too.

atihanyi
06-09-2014, 10:46 PM
just went from a Monza to an s2 today- all I can say is holy crap what a difference in the course-the s2 is way faster and more responsive- I would demo both as they are quite different

mikeg205
06-09-2014, 10:48 PM
awesome skills atihanyi...

88 PS190
06-09-2014, 11:44 PM
just went from a Monza to an s2 today- all I can say is holy crap what a difference in the course-the s2 is way faster and more responsive- I would demo both as they are quite different

Its crazy thinking how old the Monza really is - 2005ish? Lots of change since then, not the least of which zero off.

h2oskifreak
06-10-2014, 08:53 AM
Hmm, I wish I had a ski shop in my town, but the closest is 250 miles away in S.L.C., or Denver and then there is the boat and water to track down in another city. Might figure a way to get to Tommy's, I bought the Monza there. Why is the Radar Vapor a good option? What specifically do you like about the Vapor?

TNH2oSkier
06-10-2014, 09:05 AM
I skied a strada for the last 2 years and just took a set on a 2013 s2. I'm impressed, and am going to give it a couple more sets. I skied the vapor for 2 days last year and it didn't suit me. I was with a couple of other guys in Fl and they had similar results with the vapor. Lots of good comments from others on the web, but it just didn't feel right for me.

Ski-me
06-10-2014, 09:07 AM
Hmm, I wish I had a ski shop in my town, but the closest is 250 miles away in S.L.C., or Denver and then there is the boat and water to track down in another city. Might figure a way to get to Tommy's, I bought the Monza there. Why is the Radar Vapor a good option? What specifically do you like about the Vapor?

If you were a little closer.....Tommy just had a free demo program last weekend. Get any ski you want for 2 days free. They did have S2 and A3, along with Vapor (if I recall).

I was just up there getting a new HO ski for my daughter for her graduation present. HO CX, I believe.

JMLVMI
06-10-2014, 10:31 AM
Some of the ski vendors will do a ship-to-you demo program (I know D3 does this)...may be worth looking in to?

Also check over on ballofspray.com to see if anyone in your area has got one of those skis to try.

mig
06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
For what it is worth: If you are concerned about staying injury free and enjoying great performance you should try to demo an s2. I'm an older course skier (60 next bday) n still working on -32/34mph. Have been on a lot of skis n have experienced those sudden, "how did that happen" falls on all of them. Don't want to jinx myself but have to put a word in on the s2. This is my third summer on a 2012 s2 with the stepped bottom and exo bindings and consider it a "magic" ski for safety. Every time i am past the point of no return for a bad otf (or other fall) it seems to let go of the water and is instantly back under me. It has been such a different experience I am hesitant to change to a newer ski. I have not been on any other ski since 2012 so can't offer any comparisons. Best of luck with your choice!

Kyle
06-10-2014, 11:54 AM
For what it is worth, I ski 34 mph on an A2 and it does fine. I have had a couple A1's and A2's but not an A3 yet. The A3 will ski very similar to the A2. It does fine at 34mph I am into [email protected] on A2.

The monza is a pos. I've had 2 monzas and tried real hard to get them to be consistent. The A2-A3 will be a great improvement. The A1,2,3 will be forgiving yet very aggressive when you need it to be.

I've never tried a radar. I have tried the S1-S2 and personally like the A1-A2 better.

Call HO sports. Ask them for a factory blemish ski. I have a factory blem ski. The reason it is a factory blem is that there is a piece of carbon fiber string or hair in the part that shouldn't have carbon fiber in it. It basically looks like a piece of dust on a paint job. You can get them for about 1/2 the price.

As far as size. I'm 5' 10" and 190# and ski on a 67" A2

HO Sports 1-800-938-4040 they are on west side time. HO will also let you demo a ski like the prop companies let you try props. Get an A2-A3 and try it. I bet you won't send it back. I played w the fin slightly, factory settings are good for out of the box trials. If you want my settings I can share them. I'm sure you and your ski partner can figure out how to adjust and set up the ski.

If you call them and they don't have blems, pm me. I know an HO rep who will have one. He's a good ole boy who skis on a private lake in Oklahoma and will ship a ski anywhere. He's a ranked driver and if you have ever been to a regionals or nationals tournament you may have had him drive for you.

Let me know if I can help.

h2oskifreak
06-10-2014, 03:08 PM
Good information from all. It seems like I should make the effort to demo before I buy and good suggestions on that front. Wish I had known about Tommy's demo weekend. I would have made the 250 mi. drive.

Ski-me
06-10-2014, 04:22 PM
Good information from all. It seems like I should make the effort to demo before I buy and good suggestions on that front. Wish I had known about Tommy's demo weekend. I would have made the 250 mi. drive.

You might just shoot them an email or call, and see if they will still do it. They did have a 66.5 S2, 2013 model year on the floor when I was there.

I did notice that the 2013 and 2014 model years had a different "dimpled" type of bottom on the S2's. I don't know if there was a reason (improvement) or it was just asthetic. Might ask though. There was a difference between the two though.

And boots, depending on if you use your old ones or not. I did not like the HO bindings on the S2 I demo'd last year. I switched over my Radar Strada boots and felt a LOT better. Just not a fan of HO's new bindings.

My daughter also chose the Radar boots over the HO's (granted we are talking about a lower model in ski and boot).

Kyle
06-10-2014, 04:27 PM
The 67" is what I would use. I did not like the 66.5. It was too short.

h2oskifreak
06-10-2014, 06:49 PM
You might just shoot them an email or call, and see if they will still do it. They did have a 66.5 S2, 2013 model year on the floor when I was there.

I did notice that the 2013 and 2014 model years had a different "dimpled" type of bottom on the S2's. I don't know if there was a reason (improvement) or it was just asthetic. Might ask though. There was a difference between the two though.

And boots, depending on if you use your old ones or not. I did not like the HO bindings on the S2 I demo'd last year. I switched over my Radar Strada boots and felt a LOT better. Just not a fan of HO's new bindings.

My daughter also chose the Radar boots over the HO's (granted we are talking about a lower model in ski and boot).

Now a new can of worms. I was planning new boots as well and just assumed the "animals were changed in color only. There is a difference in the boots and not just color? Noticed the sizing is no longer s,m,lg,xl. Now they look to be going shoe size. I think my boots now are Med., I like a tight boot so I was thinking 8/9. My shoe size is 9, so I figured 1/11 would be too big. Is the 8/9 the same as Med.?

Ski-me
06-11-2014, 09:30 AM
Now a new can of worms. I was planning new boots as well and just assumed the "animals were changed in color only. There is a difference in the boots and not just color? Noticed the sizing is no longer s,m,lg,xl. Now they look to be going shoe size. I think my boots now are Med., I like a tight boot so I was thinking 8/9. My shoe size is 9, so I figured 1/11 would be too big. Is the 8/9 the same as Med.?

That seems about right. I'm about an 11 shoe and prefer a "large" size boot. I get too cramped in a medium size boot.