PDA

View Full Version : Can't maintain constant MPH..

Jhinton
06-09-2014, 02:29 PM
First post... Just purchased a used 2006 210 VRS - after years (and years) of saving! Had it on the water for three weekends now. My son is wakeboarding/surfing and loving it, yet I canít maintain a constant speed. The boat supposedly has perfect pass (PP) cruise built in, but it does not engage properly when following the instructions. I have heard that this year model had issues. Manually, I am seeing the speed go from 15 - 25, while trying to hit 20 - 20 MPH. RPMs stay prety constant at 2500. As I adjust the throttle, the speed decreases/increases significantly one way or the other - I feel the adjustments and can see my son struggle. I really need the cruise/PP to work. I can not routinely set before I start and occasionally get a RPM lock while moving. It is sporadic and I canít figure out the right combination of buttons to get a consistent speed/lock. Yes, we demoed it and it worked fine, and I can, on occasion, get it to kick in - but nothing consistent. Any ideas or thoughts? Will I be better off upgrading to a newer version of PP? Really donít want to spend the money, as I thought I was getting something that worked more consistently.

CC2MC
06-09-2014, 02:35 PM
My suggestions would be to call PP, as their engineers can help you to troubleshoot. However, they do have a pretty good set of tests on their website that I recently had to perform bc my servo motor was not working correctly. Try some of these first and see if they help. If not, then call PP. Good luck!

http://www.perfectpass.com/?q=videos

See how RPM mode compares to see if it seems to hold speed a little better. I know my speed tends to hunt around a little bit just bc of how I have it set up with the KW settings. I ride more in RPM mode anyway. There is also a little set screw on the knob that is on the servo motor on the engine. Check that to make sure it is not loose, bc that could cause the issues you are describing as well. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

kdr
06-09-2014, 04:34 PM
PP Cruise is RPM based only. I have barely used it on my boat. It won't hold speed when I board (apparently I pull too hard). I tried using it when my wife boards and it was OK but it had a constant 100 RPM flutter.

My wife and I do a lot of manual driving. I don't know how familiar you are with the controls, but the key is very small ( I mean tiny) movements of the throttle. Hammer down on the throttle when you take off and pull back to the desired RPMs as soon as the boat begins to plane off, then never make a single throttle adjustment more than about 1/8 inch. As you drive more, you'll also learn to anticipate with the boat will slow down and can compensate for it (the wakeboarder is cutting hard, taking sharp turns, etc.) Also, I never trust the speedos, but I have Airguide pitot type that have a horrible lag time. Just keep an eye on your son till he tells you the speed is good, then hold those RPM's.

Manual driving is not hard to learn with practice and the skill comes in handy if perfect pass ever craps out on you.

Now if the boat is holding a constant 2500 RPM and the speed is fluctuating that badly then either your son pulls like a freightliner or there is some mechanical issue.

mzimme
06-09-2014, 04:52 PM
No reason to have to drive manually. Perfect Pass is more than capable of giving you a solid pull regardless of wakeboarders pulling, turning, etc. That's the entire purpose of PP. Do you know what version you have?

Couple things I'd check first... look under the boat at the paddle wheel. Make sure you're not missing any of the paddles on that as that can cause inconsistent pulls. Also check your settings to be sure they're within spec. Might be worth doing a hard reset to factory defaults on the PP and adjust accordingly (if you have to). The previous owner may have messed with the settings and that can cause an inconsistent pull.

Something is definitely wrong. Shouldn't take more than turning the PP system on, selecting RPM or speed mode, setting the desired speed or RPM, hammering the throttle, wait for the beep, then let it do it's thing. I run over 2500 lbs of ballast surfing/boarding in my boat and have no surging issues at all with PP Wakeboard Pro.

Jhinton
06-09-2014, 05:06 PM
Thanks for the feedback. My son is 75 pounds, and just learning. He is definetely not the cause. I agree that it should be working better than it is. I never get a beep, and the turn on sequence seems to be different each time. Really hope to get this ironed out so I can see how fast/slow to pull my son. I was (and still am) stoked to finally have a MC, and now its like a bummer.... I rode in a boat with a functioning PP, and it was awesome. Hoping to have the same experience.

88 PS190
06-09-2014, 06:14 PM
Something is definitely wrong. Shouldn't take more than turning the PP system on, selecting RPM or speed mode, setting the desired speed or RPM, hammering the throttle, wait for the beep, then let it do it's thing. I run over 2500 lbs of ballast surfing/boarding in my boat and have no surging issues at all with PP Wakeboard Pro.

Cannot compare PP wakeboard/digital pro or stargazer to cruize. Not the same system. Is yours like this http://perfectpass.com/?q=ppcruise with out a number display? I assume so as your boat is a maristar not an x-star

When working properly, you turn it on it blinks, you then drive to speed and press engage, the light turns solid. Ideally if you communicate with your rider they will know that the first time they are up you get to the speed you want and engage and they should just ride along for a bit so you dial it in. Then you can use auto-resume.

If it is working properly your RPM will stay constant. Unfortunately with the "cruise" system your speed can swing huge amounts. Cruise will work pretty well for recreational slalom/combo skiing because you first get the boat going ~30 mph, then engage cruise, at 30 mph you can do "rpm" only cruise control - this is because at speed the RPM and boat speed are pretty fixed, skier slows the boat down, but it will pop right back to speed.

For wake board you might be OK if you first go "too fast" and then back it down and engage it - but RPM only is WOEFULLY inadequate for slower speeds.

Enter the other systems, Wakeboard Pro and Digital Pro - before GPS these two systems (and their older varients) used a paddle wheel through the hull. This wheel is a speed pick up, and as such could tell the system that it was going a certain speed allowing the system to vary the RPM.

Consider the difference as Constant RPM vs Constant Speed.
At high speed constant RPM does a great job because it averages out the swings of speed over a distance (like a slalom course) but at any individual point the boat is going somewhat faster or slower and when you time the boat point to point it equals the time chart for that speed.
Constant Speed however requires the engine RPM to vary constantly to average out fluctuations in speed. This requires a more instantaneous concept of boat speed as the difference between 3 and 10 mph are huge for the surfer, and almost inconsequential to the engine's RPM.

Step forward another generation and you use GPS to grab speed (Stargazer + Zero Off) - this is not without its own set of problems/situation.

Point being, if the LED is on and the boat is holding a single speed - Cruise is working AS INTENDED. If the boat's speed is not suitable for your usage while in this mode you are going to have to consider either upgrading or perhaps there are performance mods you could do to the boat to make it easier for the constant RPM to work - like swapping the prop to one that performs better at low speed - or possibly moving ballast to the bow.

uplander
06-09-2014, 07:05 PM
Do you have a Garmin GPS for your car, take it with you and put on dash. It will help you see what you are actually doing for speed. I use the RPM mode on my PP, the MPH mode does not work well it always seems to be searching. For $900 bucks you can upgrade to the GPS model of PP

Thrall
06-09-2014, 07:41 PM
I don't have much experience with the settings on MC cruise but have pulled and ridden with it many times and while it is more finicky than PP Wakeboard Pro it is also much simpler.
It's been a while, but I recall it working best if I manually got the boat up close to the speed I wanted to set at then set the cruise and bump the throttle fwd just a bit after it was set. Seems if the throttle position is not at or above the desired speed/rpm then it will hunt for the right speed.
Don't get bummed about the boat. You'll get it figured out pretty easy.

88 PS190
06-09-2014, 07:54 PM
That's typically true for all the Perfect Pass products. Once you obtain speed the throttle must be set to give the servo enough room to use more throttle if required.

drballenbc
06-10-2014, 12:38 AM
Pulled my son behind out new to me x30 first time yesterday. First two rides no perfect pass then I started using it. Wow. Can't imagine trying to pull anyone without it now. Speed was constant and the boat felt so steady even with hard turns. Mine was set for speed not rpm. I know I am off topic a little but I just can't believe how well it works I have never had that luxury using any boat before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drake2785
06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
Have you tried a linkage & servo test ? If not I would start there just had some issues with mine this past week. I upgraded to new star gazer unit the came to find out my linkage was sticking causing pp to never take control. $58 later it's working as intended.

Jhinton
06-12-2014, 12:32 PM
I wish I could solve for $85. Talked with a mechanic and he said that my version my be a wire linkage, instead of the servo. Seems to be the first version of cruise MC placed in boats. He could tell without looking at it. Boat is on lake and I will check out this weekend. I am new to the site and apprecaite everyone's feedback. Hopeing I can figure this out, this weekend. I am going to take the ownr's manual with me and try every combination known to man - it shouldnt be this complicated though!

Drake2785
06-12-2014, 12:36 PM
Call mark or Gary at PP and just talk to them about it before. They will help you every way they can. (902) 468-2150