PDA

View Full Version : Remove paint from Teak deck

turbozinke
06-09-2014, 08:37 AM
I bought this Xstar a few weeks ago. The computer went bad in it, so I'm waiting for a new one. It's killing me! But I might as well work on a few things while I wait. The previous owner painted the swim deck with black spray paint. I don't know what he was thinking unless there's something majorly wrong with it. Looks in pretty good shape to me. I was told he did it to match the rest of the boat. And I can see that cause it does match, but I want teak!

What's the best way to get the paint off? Lacquer thinner, sand it, sand blast it, or other?It's not painted on the bottom

Thanks guys!

H2ORidr
06-09-2014, 08:44 AM
Powerwasher and then sand it with a sander, preferably a random orbital sander. Teak is very hard and rough on sandpaper so be prepared to use a lot of it. When I just refinished mine I used 1 sheet of 80 grit (I worked up through 100, 120 and finished with 150) per half of one top boat and then I used another sheet for the other half. I do have access to free sandpaper though so YMMV. As I said teak is VERY hard so be prepared to use some elbow grease.

curver900
06-09-2014, 05:06 PM
be careful with the power washer... it can really screw up the wood as it has different densities... I would go with an orbital sander or a palm sander start with 80 grit and get it all to look the same, take no more than you need to.. if i had to guess you will find it is probably moldy underneath.. take it slow and get all the wood to match, when that is done go to 150 grit and give it a hand sand... then use the linseed mixture...

MC25
06-09-2014, 05:30 PM
You taking that tribal crap off too? Lol

88 PS190
06-09-2014, 05:38 PM
IMO - chemical strip it, and then refinish.

** off the boat.

gsxrjtt
06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
you going to do a thread on the tower bottom fiber glass repair ?? would like to follow that if you do it.

3event
06-09-2014, 07:38 PM
I would also caution against power washer. Orbital sander to start. Given that it was painted , it may be best to take the thing apart and really do it right. I just refinished my platform this spring - started with 220 on the orbital and then starting by hand at 600, worked all the way up to 2000 grit automotive wetdry. Used Starbrite Teak Oil & Sealer, good stuff.

Anyone know the link to TMCNo1's teak conditioning instructions? That was my original inspiration and I have no idea where to find the link at this point.

Jayhawk
06-09-2014, 08:37 PM
Doc attached.

atihanyi
06-09-2014, 10:39 PM
find someone that can media blast it for you

turbozinke
06-10-2014, 10:01 AM
You taking that tribal crap off too? Lol

you going to do a thread on the tower bottom fiber glass repair ?? would like to follow that if you do it.

Don't dis my boat. Not all of us have 100K to buy a new boat. Go be negative somewhere else.

I think I will try to sand/media blast it off. Thanks for the suggestions.

Jeff d
06-10-2014, 10:14 AM
IMO - chemical strip it, and then refinish.

** off the boat.

Unless there's something naughty about chemical stripper on teak this is the route I would go. I've never used it on teak but chemical stripper sure does make it easy (relatively speaking) with furniture and what not.

TxsRiverRat
06-10-2014, 12:43 PM
Man, your project to remove that paint is gonna suck... I removed a varnish on mine when I 1st bought it and it took FOREVER

good luck with it and post pics

pmikler
06-10-2014, 01:08 PM
I would highly recommend going with the take it all apart option. Its easy to do and will enable you to get in the corners easier. Its gonna look great when your finished

Kyle
06-10-2014, 02:06 PM
I would sand it first and see how thick it was painted.

Chemicals should be fine. I have had acetone on mine. This is not going to be zip zip fast. I would be careful pressure washing it. You may make wand marks in the wood. I would not be afraid to strip it. Once you get to teak again just linseed oil it with some mineral spirits and linseed mixed together.

Media blasting will also work as a last result. While taking it all apart is the super OCD way of doing it, I think it would take longer.

If you like the tribal graphics then by all means keep them. Your boat and your money. Personally it is loud and busy for me but it may be a perfect fit for your individual personality and taste. Let no ones negative comments discourage you. I'm sure there are many on here that cringe on how I have molested the crap out of my boat and it is nothing like factory. Make that xstar yours now and do what you want to, to her.

turbozinke
04-21-2015, 09:03 AM
Here's the final product. In case you're just starting to read, the previous owner painted the teak deck to match the paint job on the boat. I hated the deck painted black! :mad: So I set out to refinish it. I started with a paint scraper, then car wash, then scraper, then paint stripper. Paint stripper and the scrapper seemed to work the best. I probably spent 10 hours scrapping trying to be as MCOCD as I could even thought I'm not really wired that way. I did have some pitting as a result of removing the paint, so I sanded that down until it was smooth. Its not perfect, but unless you're really trying to examine it for perfection it looks good. I'm glad to have a teak colored deck again!

MrDearybury
04-21-2015, 09:22 AM
Dude that thing looks sweet. I wish i still had a teak deck. I love the look of the wood man! Job well done for sure!!

curver900
04-21-2015, 10:34 AM
NICE work!!!

mzimme
04-21-2015, 10:37 AM
Well done, how did your arms/body feel after that job? haha

Mastercraftdave
04-21-2015, 10:53 AM
Having had fiberglass platforms on my previous three boats, I'm loving the teak on my new one. There is no replacement for teak.

Fletchx7
04-21-2015, 11:14 AM
That's looks great!! That has to be a great feeling knowing you did it and how it turned out. I love working on mine.

curver900
04-21-2015, 11:24 AM
"I probably spent 10 hours scrapping trying to be as MCOCD as I could even thought I'm not really wired that way. I did have some pitting as a result of removing the paint, so I sanded that down until it was smooth. Its not perfect, but unless you're really trying to examine it for perfection it looks good. I'm glad to have a teak colored deck again!"

I went back and read this from his earlier post... ROFL.. MCOCD.. looks like he has the "bug":cool:

Dave911rsr
04-21-2015, 11:53 AM
It looks good. For now, at least, we all know how teak is. I used Interlux Cetol from West Marine and it made it look great and it stayed that way with no maintenance.