PDA

View Full Version : Opinions needed prostar 190 LT1 and Slot

Quinten
06-09-2014, 03:26 AM
After a long search I found a 1996 Prostar 190 with LT1 Corvette and powerslot in Europe. Boat has 800 hours on it. There asking 10500 pound.
Can you guys give me some opinions based on the pictures?
Can someone see if the cooling is changed on the engine for the cooling issues?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mastercraft-Prostar-190-Ski-Boat-Chevrolet-Engine-5-7ltr-330hp-/141253115510?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item20e3577e76#viTabs

Thanks

Quinten
06-09-2014, 07:11 AM
More pics on his website: http://www.vslnw.com/showroom/1996-mastercraft-pro-star-190-lt-1-ski-boat-9152?vehtype=cars

CantRepeat
06-09-2014, 08:39 AM
So that's $17.650 US?

mikeg205
06-09-2014, 08:54 AM
Looks good - engine could be cleaned up a bit. Looks pretty well cared for. Appears not to have the overheat prevention mod - but not sure every LT1 had issues. 800 hours not bad at all.

I don't know prices in the UK is that a fair price for your market? Are galvanized trailers common in the UK or was the boat used in brackish or saltwater?

Quinten
06-09-2014, 09:04 AM
So that's $17.650 US?
Jep that's around 17650 USD or 13000 Euro

Looks good - engine could be cleaned up a bit. Looks pretty well cared for. Appears not to have the overheat prevention mod - but not sure every LT1 had issues. 800 hours not bad at all.

I don't know prices in the UK is that a fair price for your market? Are galvanized trailers common in the UK or was the boat used in brackish or saltwater?

In the advertise they said it is always ussed in Fresh water (Freshwater use only on Windermere.)
They say it is a mastercaft trailer (Mastercraft Trailer with light board, we have just overhalued the brakes and bearings.)

I have no idea of it is comon in UK for galvanized trailers. In Belgium almost every trailer is galvanized, even for fresh water.

Do somebady know what "Oyster over Hemlock Hull" is?

Found more pics http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C458350# Here looks the engine cleaned up.

Table Rocker
06-09-2014, 09:06 AM
"Oyster over Hemlock" is the color of the boat. Hemlock is the green.

CantRepeat
06-09-2014, 09:40 AM
In the US I think that price would be considered a little on the high side.

Quinten
06-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I looked up on the internet and it seems normal galvanized trailers in the UK, and across europe.
Emailed the seller with a few questions :) (those questions below)
Price seems normal for europe, not a lot of boats on sale.
Is it correct that this boat has a powerslot transmission?
-Is it possible to get more pics of the engine and transmission?
-Can I get a few picture from under the boat?
-Did it been used in salt or brackish water?
-Why is the trailer galvanized?
-Are you the first owner of it?
-How many hours does it have?

madcityskier
06-10-2014, 10:14 AM
Lots of differences from US to you. Gavanlized wouldn't worry me at all. The price of fuel would be a huge concern to me, but hey, you gotta pay to play right? The recently added light bar would be worth investigating. How hard is it to take on and off, and how well is it built? It's going to have to come off every time you launch or trailer the boat. Is it required there? Can it be removed and put back to original where the lights don't block the running gear and you don't have to take a portion of the trailer apart to use the boat? Also, how is the wiring connected it you do have to remove it each time so that the connections wont corrode constantly when they are being dunked in water on a regular basis. We recently visited London on a vacation, and for kicks while my daughter and wife were shopping I tried looking up boats for sale. As you said, they're much rarer there from what I could see, which will likely drive the price up a fair bit. Good luck and hope you are able to purchase at a "reasonable" price. Looks pretty good, but as you said, engine pics etc. are always a good idea. If it's not to far I would definitely take a quick look in person prior to making an offer, which allows a chance to haggle a bit in person.

Quinten
06-10-2014, 10:39 AM
The light bar is normal for us. Many trailers have that (http://www.laurieraanhangwagens.nl/attachments/Image/1-boottrailer_796_500_100.jpg) just take the plug out of the light bar and remove the bar everytime, you get used to it. Had that on our previous boat.

Newer trailers don't have that bar annymore, like on our x2
(http://api.botentekoop.nl/ExtraImage/Normal/000/009/935/893/9935893.jpg) wich can stay if the lights houses are filled with a kind of glue.
But in most countrys the lights need to be behind the boat.
Fuel price is around 1.5 euro/L or 7.7 usd/gallon.

f925
06-10-2014, 11:13 AM
I might pay a marine mechanic to check over the motor and drive line. Once again it was a bit dirty in the posted picture. With that being said boating in general in Europe is more expensive than in the states. I never did meet anyone who owned a boat in Antwerp. Do boat motors get taxed heavily like large displacement auto motors? I know in BE V8s were incredibly rare not so much because of sticker price but the taxes on gas guzzlers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quinten
06-10-2014, 11:46 AM
I was thinking about the mechanic, thinking to contact the UK MC dealer to take a visit with me to the boat. Or ask our dealer if he would like to join the trip.
If the pictures I asked are good than I'm planning a 8 hour single trip to look at the boat.

Luckly there not taxed that way like cars :D
You pay for the vignet:
- 80 euro, <6m faster than 20 km/h or >6m and =12m slower than 20 km/h
- 160 euro, >6m faster than 20 km/h, or >12m and slower than 20 km/h
And a tax for take your vehicule in "circulation" like road tax, if boat is >7.5m than you pay € 2.478,00. With a withdrwaw for used boats with a amount off 247.80 euro/year. And the minimum is 61.50 euro.
So we only pay the vignet on the x2.
If we run a car with an 5.7l V8 it wil cost around 2500 euro's a year to tax and once 10 000 euro to put the new car on the road. If it's a used car the 10 000 goes down.

Waterskibum
06-10-2014, 12:01 PM
Looks like it has been used in brackish or saltwater to me. Corrosion on the engine. I would also ask for pictures of the underside of the boat, especially the prop, strut, and tracking fins. If they are corroded then it's been in saltwater.

f925
06-10-2014, 12:16 PM
I was thinking about the mechanic, thinking to contact the UK MC dealer to take a visit with me to the boat. Or ask our dealer if he would like to join the trip.
If the pictures I asked are good than I'm planning a 8 hour single trip to look at the boat.

Luckly there not taxed that way like cars :D
You pay for the vignet:
- 80 euro, <6m faster than 20 km/h or >6m and =12m slower than 20 km/h
- 160 euro, >6m faster than 20 km/h, or >12m and slower than 20 km/h
And a tax for take your vehicule in "circulation" like road tax, if boat is >7.5m than you pay &euro; 2.478,00. With a withdrwaw for used boats with a amount off 247.80 euro/year. And the minimum is 61.50 euro.
So we only pay the vignet on the x2.
If we run a car with an 5.7l V8 it wil cost around 2500 euro's a year to tax and once 10 000 euro to put the new car on the road. If it's a used car the 10 000 goes down.

I can not imagine what you use to tow your boats with then. I don't think a polo is going to cut it. Although you realize anything is possible when you see an Alpha towing a caravan. No one could believe I drove a 7.3 L 6.5m long truck either. I think the UK MC dealer is a great choice.

Bouyhead
06-10-2014, 12:21 PM
I would ask for some detailed/closeup shots of the interior. Looks like the seams are ready to let go in a few of those pics.

Quinten
06-10-2014, 12:45 PM
I can not imagine what you use to tow your boats with then. I don't think a polo is going to cut it. Although you realize anything is possible when you see an Alpha towing a caravan. No one could believe I drove a 7.3 L 6.5m long truck either. I think the UK MC dealer is a great choice.

We pull the x2 with a mercedes sprinter V6 3L diesel 190HP.
Most engines in Belgium are 1.8-2.5 L engines. aroudn 160 HP. It gets the job done.

I would ask for some detailed/closeup shots of the interior. Looks like the seams are ready to let go in a few of those pics.

Now I saw it in the drivers seat after you told me.

Quinten
06-11-2014, 01:38 PM
Got email back from seller and asked more questions:
From him:
The boat does have a Powerslot Transmission.
We have owned the Boat since 2002 and have enjoyed using it only on Fresh water(Lake Windermere), previous to our ownership it was owned by Mastercraft UK as a demonstration boat.
It has done only 800 hours and been very well looked after, having been winterised and serviced correctly.
I have uploaded all the current photographs I have on to this link:-
https://picasaweb.google.com/107458732053977949266/Mastercraft?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCJS3pIv3qMzynQE&feat=directlink
Please click on this and it will take you to my Picasa page.
I can take some more pictures of the underside, but the boat isn't here with me today. Can I send these on at a later date?
All Mastercraft Trailers for the UK are Galvanised in the production of them.
Where are you from?
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Me:

Thank you for the pictures.
Is it possible to explain why the engine on the pictures outside looks rust free compared with those in the garage? And why is the tachometer sitting still around 1000 RPM?
Did you did the maintenance by yourself?
What is the reason for selling this boat after owning it for 12 years?
Did you have mechanical problems or other issues in the past?
Sure you can send the pics from under the boat later.
Thanks for the further information.
I live in Belgium, not that close to come by and check it out.

Him:
The engine is rust free, the earlier photo's(out doors) were taken last year after it had been cleaned and valeted.It just needs a good clean! The Tacho is showing 1000 as when you switch the engine off it doesn't re-set until the ignition is switched on again(not unusual).
We have maintained the boat ourselves(we used to own a large Vauxhall Opel Garage) and just recently the boat has just had the raw water pump replaced and a full service by a local marine engineer.
The reason for selling the boat is that Windermere(the lake we use it) have enforced a speed limit and it is very difficult to ski/wakeboard at such a slow speed. We don't use it anyway near enough.
No reported mechanical faults, very reliable boat and great fun!!!
I hope I have answered all your questions, if you have any more please get in touch.

Can someone confirm that it is true the tach stand still sometimes when the key is off?
I checked it for lake Windermere, it is true, the speed limit is 10 nautic mph.

Sodar
06-11-2014, 01:49 PM
Tach issue is completely normal. Happened on my '96 all the time.

Quinten
06-23-2014, 07:26 AM
I'm going to take a look at the boat (over 1.5 week).
Are there some tips to look at? Especialy for this engine?

Water test was ok to do he said. But it is in probably a marina (slow speeds only) no high speed zone.

I'm planning to do a compression test. To do this i pull the lanyard, remove spark pluggs. Put in the gauge and cranck the engine over. Then the next hole. Is this correct or am I missing something.

f925
06-23-2014, 08:26 AM
Yikes! 10 knots? I suppose skiing would be a bit difficult under 15 mph. Lol. At least opel and vauxhaul are GM products. Even at 10 knots you can do warm and cold starts and check the function of all gauges. Is there not another lake somewhat near by you could get it up to speed at? I would gladly pay the fuel cost to get it somewhere you could do a full speed test if the seller would go for it. After all you are looking at a good long drive and train ride just to get to him. You are a serious buyer at that point.

Quinten
06-24-2014, 04:19 AM
I have searched for lakes or rivvers in the UK and I think there is no speed zone in the area of Preston, or dindn't found one.

Table Rocker
06-24-2014, 05:41 AM
I wonder how much the speeding ticket would be. It might be worth it.

Quinten
06-24-2014, 12:56 PM
I wonder how much the speeding ticket would be. It might be worth it.

I was thinking about that, to ask the owner of the marina to close an eye for a few bucks or beers.

Quinten
07-01-2014, 06:12 AM
I got the pictures from the underside and it looks good.
Only the prop has a little damage. How bad will this be for a water test? The only spare prop I have is from our X2 a 4 blade prop.

Found information for compression check, pull the safety laneyard, find the relais or fuse for full pump pull it. Do compression check like a car engine.

Table Rocker
07-01-2014, 06:28 AM
Found information for compression check, pull the safety laneyard, find the relais or fuse for full pump pull it. Do compression check like a car engine.
When you pull the lanyard, the fuel pump will not get voltage. No need to mess with any relays or fuses. The only thing that will be energized will be the starter.

Quinten
07-01-2014, 08:12 AM
When you pull the lanyard, the fuel pump will not get voltage. No need to mess with any relays or fuses. The only thing that will be energized will be the starter.

Ok, thank you. That makes it a little more easier.

Quinten
07-13-2014, 04:56 AM
Went to look at the boat this thuesday.
And price was to high for it. Interiour stiching was started to tear. Specially the observer seat was teared on the stiching. Rear seat was bending and holding up with block of wood.
Strut was bent and prop had a few dinges.
Offerd him 8000 GBP at max and he said he had an offer of 9000. So I passed.

Back in belgium I got phone call from him that I can get it for a little more than 8000.

I feeled a little fouled, because he told me on phone that there were no tears in the interiour.
Olso the engine had 860 hours instead of 800. And he said it wasn't be "used" for 2 years, but it seamed a little wet in the bilge for 2 years standing still.

It's sad that people are not that honest to someone when you are driven 1800 km. :(

Thrall
07-13-2014, 02:26 PM
Yes that stinks but better than buying a lemon and finding out after the fact.
Personally I would stay away from a LT1 engine in Europe.
I love the engine, had one myself, but there are a lot more things and more expensive things to go wrong with a lt1 than a standard tbi engine.