PDA

View Full Version : Gel Coat Cracks in 2014 X30

Colbray
06-09-2014, 01:12 AM
I wanted to see if anyone else has any gel coat cracks in a new X30. I have approx. 16 hours on ours and have noticed a large gel coat crack below my swim platform going from my underwater light to the surf tab and two new gel coat cracks around my glove box that are very noticeable. This is my first new MC and I am not sure if this is normal but I recall my 2006 X30 had less gel coat cracks, but maybe I got lucky with the old X30.

Would like to hear others experiences so far and what I should expect with a new X30.

MC25
06-09-2014, 01:16 AM
Take it back

AlbertaSurfer
06-09-2014, 01:59 AM
Gel coat cracks after 16hrs couldn't possibly be normal. I'd be towing it back to Martin ASAP. Good Luck.

ledger78
06-09-2014, 02:01 AM
Wow that sucks take it back mate get it sorted.. I had my first MC and first new boat this year with a 2014 x25 and had super high expectations for a 120k boat but yeah I'm sure my boat was a Monday morning build..

DHPRO
06-09-2014, 08:02 AM
Oh man...after my electrical issue, them missing some stuff on my build sheet, and now reading this, I have to really question quality control...I hope ur fortunate as me and have a top notch dealer!

waterlogged882
06-09-2014, 08:04 AM
Oh man...after my electrical issue, them missing some stuff on my build sheet, and now reading this, I have to really question quality control...
How can that be??? They just received their ISO 9001 registration....

They even covet it...... ==> http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=58108

:D
:D

Jonb1822
06-09-2014, 08:14 AM
I have a list of warranty claims that was created the day I received the boat. Small Knicks in the fiberglass that have to be repaired, 3 seats being replaced, decals being replaced, subwoofer not even mounted properly, dry buffing issues and some other items. I love the boat but their quality control is lacking to say the least.

FourFourty
06-09-2014, 08:20 AM
Its not normal for a new boat. Inspect the fiberglass on the inside of the hull, and if that looks fine, I would just run it until fall, and have them fix it during the off season. Gel cracks suck, but they happen. I haven't seen any in my new 30.

DHPRO- Just curious what they missed on your build sheet?

mikeg205
06-09-2014, 09:05 AM
+1 on take it back. stress cracking.. :( - I would have it checked out.. sorry to read this. Would hard for me to stay calm if I spent this kind of money on a new boat and had these problem - my 1995 has 8 little gel cracks around windshield connection at the curve.

Make sure no major issue - then have them fix after end of season... IMO

wallnut21
06-09-2014, 09:26 AM
Six hours on mine and have large stress cracks by engine latch on the back of the boat. Looks bad!

FourFourty
06-09-2014, 09:37 AM
+1 on take it back. stress cracking.. :( - I would have it checked out.. sorry to read this. Would hard for me to stay calm if I spent this kind of money on a new boat and had these problem - my 1995 has 8 little gel cracks around windshield connection at the curve.

Make sure no major issue - then have them fix after end of season... IMO

I actually doubt it is stress cracking. It is more likely an error in the spray process. It may have been a less experienced sprayer, and he had a couple dry spray areas. Those are the cracks that show up immediately. Mostly due to a difference in the shrinking of the the product in the extended curing period(unless you had severe flexing issues, which is extremely unlikely in an MC)

If this is the case, the cracks are an easy fix, and you wont see them again. I would give it some time though. It is a good idea to let all of that new gel cure for another few months.

lashburn1
06-09-2014, 11:01 AM
I actually doubt it is stress cracking. It is more likely an error in the spray process. It may have been a less experienced sprayer, and he had a couple dry spray areas. Those are the cracks that show up immediately. Mostly due to a difference in the shrinking of the the product in the extended curing period(unless you had severe flexing issues, which is extremely unlikely in an MC)

If this is the case, the cracks are an easy fix, and you wont see them again. I would give it some time though. It is a good idea to let all of that new gel cure for another few months.

+1 ^^^
Notify Dealer AND MC directly immediately, document all with photos and email ASAP.

USE the boat all season with MCs consent, then have them fix it over the Winter.

We have an 2013 X-30 with over 350hr, No cracks anywhere.... Im sure its a fluke....

Stay on top of the emails and follow ups, don't let this become a Stale claim...

FourFourty
06-09-2014, 11:14 AM
The other nice thing, is that gel cracks are now covered for 5 years.

Colbray
06-09-2014, 03:36 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Glad to see that most of you are not having this issue. Hope mine does not get worse. I have a great dealer so hopefuly this won't become a big deal. They are telling me they can fix the cracks to the point I won't even know they were there. Hope that is true.

Thanks again for the input.

JohnE
06-09-2014, 04:17 PM
Thanks all for your replies. Glad to see that most of you are not having this issue. Hope mine does not get worse. I have a great dealer so hopefuly this won't become a big deal. They are telling me they can fix the cracks to the point I won't even know they were there. Hope that is true.

Yes, with a good gel repair you will never know it was there. Just make sure you communicate with your dealer. You have no reason to contact MC directly unless your dealer is failing to address the issue.

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 04:59 PM
I have heard from multiple gel coat and fiberglass repair shops that MC has an issue with spider cracks. Lets just say they weren't at all surprised when I rolled my old 2006 X2 into them and were thankful it was on the while portion. Cracked from stress behind swim platform bracket.

atthelake
06-09-2014, 06:42 PM

I found one "problem" so far but was able to fix myself. The touch screen was able to move in and out. I used a different bolt behind, retightened and it's now fixed. I did however, mark it with a sharpie, photograph it and emailed the pic to my salesman.

You think it was something that developed or was just finally noticed once it got a little worse?

Colbray
06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
The cracks by the glove box are new. They were not there when I launched the boat last Sunday but I noticed them when I cleaned the boat in our driveway that night. The cracks under the swim platform showed up after our first outing on the boat. I just hope there will not be more as time goes on.

501s
06-09-2014, 06:46 PM
I haven't had a single gel crack on my X30, that seems a bit strange to me.

cwarndahl
06-09-2014, 06:48 PM
sorry to hear the troubles. keep us posted. when did they start covering gel coat for 5 years? looking at a 2010 and 2011 x-25, just wondering may make me spend a bit more for the 11.

ttu
06-09-2014, 06:50 PM
like others have said, make sure the dealer is aware of them along with mc. take good pics and get everything in documents from them that they will cover the repairs at the end of your season.

knock on wood my 07 x2 still doesn't have any cracks after 450 hrs. now my old 05 supra ssv 22 had a lot of cracks. mainly around the tower lets and under the playpen area. skier's choice took care of them at the end of that season and never had another issue with the cracks. now the hull blisters on that boat are a whole bigger story!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

KnoxX2
06-09-2014, 06:50 PM
The 5 year warranty started this year for the 2014's

scottsx2
06-09-2014, 06:56 PM
I suggest communicate with your dealer, only go to MC if there is no response from them.