PDA

View Full Version : Am I paying too much?

98motorsport3
06-08-2014, 08:26 PM
Hey everyone! So I'm trying to get into a pro star 205. There is one local to me that the owner is firm on 11,500. I've looked at the boat and want your opinions

The boat is a 95 205
non lt1
4 blade prop
New upholstery last year (VERY well done, fit and finish are perfect)
Monster tower, with racks (not my first tower choice but doesn't look bad)
The interior of the boat looks like a time capsule almost.
Fuel gauge isn't working (in tank float?)
Only other interior flaw I could find was the steering wheel missing the center cap.
Exterior is 8 out of 10. Some scrapes on the keel, and it needs some polishing ( no wet sanding)
Single axle mc trailer
Cover

Here's the thing, it has 1085 hours. Now I know the person who the boat was serviced with for the last 5 years and trust that mechanics work, as I've used him before when I had my super air. So I'll speak with him monday to make sure the motor is as healthy as it looks. The engine is very clean, the whole boat is really. I just want to make sure at 11,500.00 I'm not making a mistake. (planning on purchase this week) It's peak of season so I know prices will be higher but it's a clean boat. I just wish it had the 96 hull but I'm sure a little more weight could take care of that. I plan on keeping the boat for awhile hence my worry on the hours. I've read 2000 is normal to hit if it's properly maintained?

Thanks everyone.

SSMoose
06-08-2014, 08:56 PM
My 83 has just over 1100 hours. For the year I don't think that's really high. I have had no problems with the engine at all. Mostly it is a maintenance thing. Properly maintained these engines will take a ton of hours.

atihanyi
06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
Sounds like it is priced about right to me

Double D
06-08-2014, 09:20 PM
Sounds like a good deal. IMO.

98motorsport3
06-08-2014, 09:35 PM
Sweet! Glad to hear it's at least priced right or even better. I will soon be a new MC owner. I'll reserve pics for after I actually take possession of the boat!

jamie197
06-09-2014, 05:31 AM
I have a 05 197 Prostar, currently at just shy of 1500hr. As long as they get regular oil and general servicing, will run twice this at least. Mine doesnt blow smoke, or use any oil. Never let me down(only had it past 300hrs). Runs as strong and smooth as any other I have been in. Hours should bother you too much, but would look into getting the injectors cleaned and tested, just as peace of mind.
Just put good fuel in it, I always use jerry cans to fill mine up, so I can see if the fuel is clean, as fuel injection hates water and dirty fuel.

Enjoy..

88 PS190
06-09-2014, 08:32 AM
That's probably a throttle body fuel injector anyhow - those aren't so pricy to get rebuilt worst case.

mikeg205
06-09-2014, 08:58 AM
yes TBI - 11,500 good price this time of year. Just needs a new fuel send or repair on current - 1995 had the wood float with magnets. Get a water test and compression check and if its good buy and it- go have fun.

Roman
06-09-2014, 09:04 AM
I wouldn't buy something with that many hours unless I had it compression tested. The hours don't scare me, but I wouldnt buy it for that price without doing a compression test