PDA

View Full Version : Water in hull of 2001 x30

Isahad315
06-08-2014, 07:17 PM
Water keeps getting in hull - I took the front ballast bag out and it seems that compartment keeps filling with water. Could it be still coming in the hose even if I'm not pumping water in? Just not sure why hull keeps getting about 4-5 inches of water in it. And the bilge is in the back where the water sits in the middle. Any suggestions? Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

uplander
06-08-2014, 07:31 PM
I will get some water each time out, when you come in pull the middle plug and put a bucket under the hole to see how much comes out. That will give you a good indication of the amount.

Jeff d
06-08-2014, 08:25 PM
Do you have a scupper thru hull or a regular thru hull for the ballast pickup?
Scupper:
http://img.nauticexpo.com/images_ne/photo-g/strainers-thru-hull-fittings-boats-21871-359909.jpg
Regular:
http://www.marineengineparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/small_image/232x280/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/p/k/pko0322009plb.jpg

Do you have impeller pumps or aerator pumps?

ttu
06-08-2014, 08:44 PM
pretty sure the water is always going to be towards the center or bow. could be numerous things. loose engine hose (always happens beginning of the year), shaft packing, or maybe rudder leak?

uplander
06-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Hey Jeff how does the pickup differ for a water leak, you have me curious

Jeff d
06-08-2014, 10:39 PM
Because the ski locker/ "KGB" bag is below the water line. He said he removed the bag and the compartment keeps filling. If he has a scupper type thru hull it will pretty reliably start a siphon through his ballast pump due to the positive pressure created while underway. It can happen with the "normal" mushroom type too but the scupper will do it every time especially of you have an aerator pump or an impeller pump with the soft yellow impeller that will let water through.

Jeff d
06-08-2014, 10:41 PM
If you have a yellow ballast pump impeller change it out for a green one (firmer) and see if this problem goes away. Or just cap it off if you're never going to use it.

Jeff d
06-08-2014, 10:51 PM
I guess if you still have the bag and it doesn't leak then put it back in and reconnect it. If the water ends up in the bag then you know it's water siphoning in though the ballast pump/intake. If it ends up in the hull the it's likely it's coming from elsewhere.

uplander
06-08-2014, 11:05 PM
ok thanks, I was just curious. Always trying to learn more with this boat

drballenbc
06-08-2014, 11:45 PM
Or if you have a shutoff valve on the through hull intake for the ballast manifold shut that to see if the problem goes away. I have a shutoff on mine but it's a 2004.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isahad315
06-09-2014, 09:32 AM
It's a regular. I plugged all the hoses into the compartment, and will take it out tomorrow. How much water is normal to have in hull?

Asamp005
06-09-2014, 11:46 AM
I am having this same issue with 2001 X30. I also have removed the ballast bag in the compartment and still had 5 inches or so of water when trailered Sunday morning. Before removing the ballast bag I was still getting water in the compartment so I don't think it is coming through that. I took the bag out thinking it may have a leak, but I am still getting too much water in the center compartment. Any suggestions? My bilge hose is also in the rear of the compartment when the water will sit in the center below the hose. I can try plugging all of the hoses also that the OP is going to try and see if that helps. Look forward too seeing if that helps Isahad's issue.

I don't think I have a shutoff valve that can be shut, but I haven't had the boat very long so I'm still learning things about it every trip out.

First time poster, long time lurker... finally upgraded to a MC this year.

Thanks for any input.

Drake2785
06-09-2014, 12:55 PM
Better check your check valves had the same problem on my x2 and found a busted check valve on ballast system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Isahad315
06-11-2014, 03:37 PM
Took it out today and had all hoses plugged for front ballast. No water got in this time but water did come in somewhere. Had not water in center hull plug sitting at dock. Ran around a bit and got couple inches of water around the plug.

houtexX30
06-12-2014, 11:37 AM
We had this same issue for a couple seasons on a 02 X30. Drive shaft packing was no good. We constantly had to run the bilge throughout the day as the boat was always taking on water. Finally got around to installing the dripless shaft seal. Hands down one of the best investments we made. Kind of a pain to install on a v-drive but totally worth it.

swatguy
06-12-2014, 11:57 AM
Check your drive shaft packing, and your rudder housing. If I am not mistaken you blower vents are also on the transom. Whenever you stop abruptly or slow down a wave will form and roll into the transom and sometimes go down that vent which leads straight to the hull.

The ski lockers in these older boats are notorious for pooling water. Especially with the fatsacs in there. It traps the water in kinda. Getting in and out of the water being wet also brings way more water in the boat than you think. While it may look like one or two inches it's not that much. The drain is the lowest point in the boat so it pools there giving somewhat of an illusion. I chased this for 4 seasons on my 2000 XStar as my MCOCD was going nuts with a a wet boat compartment.

I just learned to wipe it out every few times out and air out the bag. I have yet to ever be in one of these older 205v boats and keep the bilge completely dry

Wakerider16
06-12-2014, 12:24 PM
I have yet to ever be in one of these older 205v boats and keep the bilge completely dry

Well that makes me feel better as I have been chasing what I thought was a leak for 2+ years now :cool:

tbmlxstar
06-12-2014, 02:24 PM
Thanks, from me too! I have a 2002 XStar and I can't keep the bilge dry. I also thought I must have a leak somewhere. Good to know it is normal.

houtexX30
06-12-2014, 03:57 PM
From what I've gathered, a little bit of water coming in through the shaft packing is normal. That plus, as was previously stated, water coming off of people getting in the boat can contribute as well. We had this issue for several years getting progressively worse each season. Installed the dripless shaft seal and boy what a difference. We still get some water from people getting in the boat wet but if we are just out cruising around the bilge stays bone dry. I highly highly recommend it to anyone wanting to reduce the amount of water in the bilge on these older boats.

Isahad315
06-12-2014, 07:47 PM
One other thing with the water sitting in the lowest part of the hull and that's the middle of the boat with the bilge in the back of the boat. Why? I had a bunch of water in there today from a rain storm and the bilge won't work until the entire boat seems to be full of water. Any suggestions other than putting a bilge in the middle?

ttu
06-12-2014, 08:38 PM
you will probably have to put another pump in. my 07 x2 has a pump in the transom and one in the middle of the low area.

D. Newland
06-13-2014, 12:07 PM
I installed a Y valve @ the drain/fill line of the KGB sack, just below the center access hole.

The valve is mounted to a 3/4" sheet of marine ply (and fully epoxied) that I cut in a circle, then 2 part epoxied that to the front of the gas tank. I can now use the KGB ballast pump to suck out water when needed.

I wanted to go with another bilge pump there, but went this direction instead.

I also installed a high water alarm in the bilge.

Tom023
06-13-2014, 12:26 PM
Same boat as mine, this is what I did;
1. Moved the bilge pump to the center of the boat right inside the center access hatch.
2. If that is the original bag, it's probably getting close having to replace it. The hose connectors will start to tear apart from the bag and leak.
3. Most of the water that got into my boat was coming from the underside of the rub rail where the two halves of the boat are joined. In a turn, the rub rail at the rear sides of the boat get a lot of high pressure water pushed up under them. Carefully removing the rail and sealing the joint solved 99% of my water problems.
4. You do have a shut off valve for each bag, they are located in the rear of the starboard locker.
5. I installed a dripless seal as well but have sinced removed it. It was pretty difficult to do, and eventually started leaking pretty badly. I switched to graphite stuffing box cord and haven't had a leak since.

Isahad315
06-15-2014, 09:24 AM
I put the boat on the trailer and filled it with water. Put the ballast tank hose in the water to use that to get the water out and the pump just hums and doesn't suck. Might need a new pump now. But I did put enough water in the boat and angle it for the water to run to the back . I found where the water dripped out of the driveshaft on the bottom of the boat into the street. It dripped about 1 per second. Is that normal? Is that where a little water might be getting into the hull? Should I worry that it will take on too much water if left on the water overnight? Thanks for the help!