PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Gen 2 even weighting successes both sides??

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 05:12 PM
So after having Gen 2 the last few trips on my 2013 X30 I've still not had great success
with getting a great wake on both sides that has good push.

My set up is 400lbs of lead spread between two coffins.
Two 900# sacs in rear lockers. As I've stated before when I fill all stock plus the two 900's
The regular side looks great with no center tab. When I swap the Gen 2 for the goofy side it's really washed out until I put at least 60% center tab down. This is from speeds varying from 10.5 all the way up to 12mph. The issue with dropping 60% center tab down to clean up the wash is it looses push. When you slow down the push comes back but the wake is short.

I'm sure someone that weighs 150lbs would be fine but I'm over 200lbs and need some push!

So my question is who is having success switching sides on the fly evenly weighted and still having a clean wake with good push that's nice and long?
This far I am a bit disappointed with gen 2. It's nice to shape after you are listed but
if I knew that's all I would be using it for I would have passed. Listing is king, I understand that
but still feel I should be able to get a very rideable wake on both sides evenly weighted with Gen 2.

Anyone having great luck evenly weighted? Tell us about you set up and what's working!

Nick911
06-08-2014, 05:26 PM
Seems like everyone has been listing their boat still and using the gen 2 tabs like the previous generations surf tabs. We are several months into the boating season and not one person has anything that resembles a wave that compares to surfgate or NSS. Glad I saved the $6500 and did not get this system installed. Love my boat and still think MC puts out the best product in the industry but Gen 2 is a dud.

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 05:54 PM
It's early yet Nick, give it a little time.
Surfgate sucks, I've surfed it a number of times and it requires a lot of additional weight too and when you get enough it renders surfgate useless.
No experience with NSS.

I am trying to see if there are any successes.

WakeWise
06-08-2014, 06:49 PM
JD Where do you have the pins set? I tried moving them to the holes closest to the boat on Friday but that was a disaster. Moving them back today. I'm hoping someone has an answer to your question.

WakeWise

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 06:56 PM
My pins are correct. It's not an issue with the system not functioning properly it's just a little disappointment with how it functions.

kalamalka
06-08-2014, 07:19 PM
i was out on a x10 today and it took us hours to finally get both sides clean w/ gen 2. my neighbour is so frustrated that he is returning his and just going back to leaning his 30. when we got them dailed it was good though. hope it isnt like this everytime.

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Takes me no time at all to get it clean, just maintaining that push is what is the tricky part.
A clean wave with little push is worthless to me. I know my boat isn't leaning far enough over because the corner of my swim deck is making a little spray and if should really be digging in and be a non issue.

Jonb1822
06-08-2014, 07:28 PM
I will try and get some videos up later. I just got back from vacation and I am a believer in Gen 2. If you look back on the forum I was very disappointed early on, but after having a week to play with it I will only use Gen 2 now. The biggest discovery this week was every time we added more people I would have to adjust my tab settings. What worked with 2 passengers will not necessarily work with 4-6 passengers. I come from listing my X25 with 2500-3000lbs, but with how easy this setup is now we will just surf the new way. When we surf port we never put the surf tab down further than 40% (and this is max), sometimes only use 25-32%. The few times we surfed starboard we put the tab 50%-60%. Also our speed is always 11.2 - 11.4.

Nick911
06-08-2014, 07:45 PM
I will try and get some videos up later. I just got back from vacation and I am a believer in Gen 2. If you look back on the forum I was very disappointed early on, but after having a week to play with it I will only use Gen 2 now. The biggest discovery this week was every time we added more people I would have to adjust my tab settings. What worked with 2 passengers will not necessarily work with 4-6 passengers. I come from listing my X25 with 2500-3000lbs, but with how easy this setup is now we will just surf the new way. When we surf port we never put the surf tab down further than 40% (and this is max), sometimes only use 25-32%. The few times we surfed starboard we put the tab 50%-60%. Also our speed is always 11.2 - 11.4.

So are you able to switch sides and get a great wake on both without adjusting ballast? Just flip the switch?

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 07:55 PM
JonB. Thanks for this post, this is the kind of information I am hoping to gleen from this thread.
So even though our boats are different, tell us how you are weighting the boat and having these good results? Any pics or video by chance??

Also any center tab at all on either side?

Jonb1822
06-08-2014, 08:43 PM
So are you able to switch sides and get a great wake on both without adjusting ballast? Just flip the switch?

Yes. Works good enough I was able to jump the wake on the fly.

jdhart73
06-08-2014, 08:47 PM
Love it Jon! Excited to hear and see more!

Colbray
06-09-2014, 12:25 AM
So after having Gen 2 the last few trips on my 2013 X30 I've still not had great success
with getting a great wake on both sides that has good push.

My set up is 400lbs of lead spread between two coffins.
Two 900# sacs in rear lockers. As I've stated before when I fill all stock plus the two 900's
The regular side looks great with no center tab. When I swap the Gen 2 for the goofy side it's really washed out until I put at least 60% center tab down. This is from speeds varying from 10.5 all the way up to 12mph. The issue with dropping 60% center tab down to clean up the wash is it looses push. When you slow down the push comes back but the wake is short.

I'm sure someone that weighs 150lbs would be fine but I'm over 200lbs and need some push!

So my question is who is having success switching sides on the fly evenly weighted and still having a clean wake with good push that's nice and long?
This far I am a bit disappointed with gen 2. It's nice to shape after you are listed but
if I knew that's all I would be using it for I would have passed. Listing is king, I understand that
but still feel I should be able to get a very rideable wake on both sides evenly weighted with Gen 2.

Anyone having great luck evenly weighted? Tell us about you set up and what's working!
jdhart73, I had the same problem. I have put about 16 hours on our 2014 X30 and I can tell you that adding weight to the bow was the answer for us. We had 400lbs of lead spread evenly in the back lockers and have now switched to 100lbs spread evenly in the rear lockers and 300lbs of lead in the bow. Made a huge difference in cleaning up the goofy side and we did not have to deploy the centre tab. The push is good and we are able to switch sides with a push of the button and everyone is now happy. Sadly, listing the boat is still better than the Gen2 system. Today we filled all hard tanks, left the lead in the same spots (as mentioned above) and filled only the 750lb fat sac on the goofy side and the wave was outstanding. Our speed was between 11.2 and 11.5 and we messed around with the centre tab between 10-20%. Hope this helps.

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 12:34 AM
Colbray thank you for the post, good information!
I will try moving about 300 of the lead up front and see how that affects things.
Have you tried only partially deploying Gen 2 as JonB mentioned?
I want to say I've tried this but I'm not 100% sure I have.

How many people are you riding with typically when you are having success?

Any pics by chance or vids?

ap77
06-09-2014, 12:43 AM
Makes sense...Moving weight up front should definitely clean up the wave. We often made the mistake of having too much weight in the rear of the boat. I hope you dial it in and can show us the before and after photos.

KnoxX2
06-09-2014, 12:49 AM
300 lbs of led is only 2 teenagers in my boat!! LOL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Colbray
06-09-2014, 01:00 AM
Colbray thank you for the post, good information!
I will try moving about 300 of the lead up front and see how that affects things.
Have you tried only partially deploying Gen 2 as JonB mentioned?
I want to say I've tried this but I'm not 100% sure I have.

How many people are you riding with typically when you are having success?

Any pics by chance or vids?
We did try deploying less than 100% and it was not as good as using 100% per side. We normally have 5 on the boat (2 adults, 2 teens and a 7 year old). Although, MC suggests you don't have to move people around we do try to put people on the surf side, not all of them but most of them. I have not had the luxury of a boat load of people yet. I will post some videos for you if I can figure it out. I am learning as I go and read all the posts on this forum.

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 01:02 AM
Colbray go to vimeo.com

Easy was to upload vids and post the link

Colbray
06-09-2014, 01:06 AM
Great thanks. I will look for any good video or pics I have of the goofy side. Only one of us surfs goofy so we have way more video of the other side.

KnoxX2
06-09-2014, 01:09 AM
I must say even partially listed we love the wave!!! I think I have just as much fun playing with the setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheWoons
06-09-2014, 01:11 AM
I put several hundred pounds of lead in the bow and it didn't do hardly anything for us...

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 01:25 AM
I don't hate it but I'm pretty picky... Lol. The last two boats I owned were excellent and dialed in, I do enjoy figuring out the set up but I'm a little impatient... Lol!

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 01:28 AM
I remember you mentioning that Ryan. It's odd have everyone has different experiences in so many respects to dialing in these waves. When I first took my boat out I had 200 up front and 200 in the back and I would agree that it didn't do much.

I also threw all of it in the back and couldn't get a surfable goofy wake either unless I only filled one side. Trying to find some common variables here that we can all apply.

ndlare
06-09-2014, 06:32 AM
I have Gen2 on 2014 X-10. Very happy with wake one both sides. Posted double surfing picture on another thread. Got to compare to a 2013 non Gen2 wake yesterday and I think the Gen2 rocks.

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 07:27 AM
Ndlare what's your set up? Tabs, people, weight, speed?

ndlare
06-09-2014, 08:00 AM
I am using factory set up. My boat was built last fall and had to be refitted by dealer to Gen2. Usually 3-4 people in boat. Factory set up is speed 10.8, tab 100% opposite surf side, center tab 10%, all ballast 100%. It has been working great. One curious item is the water vents overboard starting when tanks are 25, 45, 25 and continues until center is full.

Surfing used to be low fuel activity. Without ballast, 10.8 takes 2300 rpms. With ballast, 10.8 takes 3300 rpms.

FourFourty
06-09-2014, 08:38 AM
Bow weight was what fixed it for me. I am a little surprised that ryan didn't notice an improvement. We obviously know that he has his dialed.

I was struggling with the starboard wake without having the center tab down like 60-70%, So, I threw the 300 lbs as far forward as I possibly could, and avoid situations that really throw weight balance off. (Like having 6 people in the back, and nobody up front) I don't have to be too critical about weight, but try to keep it somewhat balanced. If there are 8 peeps in the boat, I remember to put 2 up front.

With the 300 up front, I use about 20-30% center for the starboard wake, and it seems to maintain excellent push. I also make sure to use the profile change for transfers (Instead of using the manual switch), that way the center tab and speed change at the same time.(I usually drop .2-.3 mph for starboard)

JD- This is kind of the indicator I use for a good weight balance on my X30- While towing somebody surfing, can you see where you are going without having to bolster up? If not, you need more bow weight.

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 10:40 AM
It makes perfect sense why bow weight would help.
We are essentially bringing the nose down with the center tab which is what Ryan said he does on goofy. I think he actually said he uses 100% center tab on goofy. If I did that my fat butt would fall out of the pocket every time. 300 up front is worth a try for sure.

And you said you are running 11.2 -11.5 or so FourFourty?

FourFourty
06-09-2014, 11:11 AM
It makes perfect sense why bow weight would help.
We are essentially bringing the nose down with the center tab which is what Ryan said he does on goofy. I think he actually said he uses 100% center tab on goofy. If I did that my fat butt would fall out of the pocket every time. 300 up front is worth a try for sure.

And you said you are running 11.2 -11.5 or so FourFourty?

Yes, and try to put that 300 as far forward as possible. I am using bomb pop bags, and I put them in the front cooler, and stuffed them in the no mans land area between the front seats and anchor storage area. You will see what I mean, when you look. There is voids beside the cooler, where you can stuff bomb pop bags, or lead, and never notice it there. I never use the built in cooler, so I always just leave the weight there. I actually love the fact that the boat rides better, and gets on plane faster, when all the other ballast is empty, and I still have that extra 300 up there.

And yes, I am usually running 11.5 port, and 11.2 starboard.

I tried listing it again yesterday afternoon, and just didn't seem to notice an advantage. The wake was taller, but didn't have the push way way back in the wave. I was, however, only listing with an additional 600lbs in the port locker. I didn't list it very heavy to one side. The boat was still almost perfectly level when at rest.

This was how I looked at it- Put your ballast back to stock, and run your gen2. Boat has perfect clean wake on both sides, and has great push. It just lacks the size that we want. (just like every other surf system boat out there. Some better than others....)

Now, with the stock gen2 weight, what is the boats position attitude like?? Nose is not way up in the air, you can see where you are going, etc...... The tabs are designed for the boat to be in this relative position while surfing. When we all just throw 50% more ballast in the back, without balancing the boat, It stands to reason why we would have trouble.

Jonb1822
06-09-2014, 12:10 PM
Here is my setup, sorry I was not able to post it last night.

All stock ballast full
750lb bag in port locker
750lb bad in starboard locker
280lb lead along port side
120lb lead along starboard

Tab Settings for Port Side Surfing:
0%-port tab
0%-center tab
39%-star tab

Here is a pic of port side. I'll have to look through pics/vids for starboard side. This wave is with only a driver and 2 passengers. The wave is curling over at my knee and only gets taller the closer to the boat you get and I am 6'2" and no I did not fall out of the wave. I am able to surf back that far with no issues.

http://i1203.photobucket.com/albums/bb395/jonb1822/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbc0c0744.jpg (http://s1203.photobucket.com/user/jonb1822/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_zpsbc0c0744.jpg.html)

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 01:24 PM
Jon how does the goofy side compare? Settings?

Jonb1822
06-09-2014, 02:02 PM
I'll swing by the shop to look at what I saved tomorrow, but I think I run 55%-60% port tab and 40% center tab. Looks very similar to this wave, maybe a little taller. I don't surf goofy much, but was able to go rope-less my first attempt no problems. It doesn't look any worse than this wave

jdhart73
06-09-2014, 02:58 PM
Nice, thanks for the info!

jdhart73
06-10-2014, 09:06 PM
Anyone else having success?