PDA

View Full Version : How many people drive at night???

gsxrjtt
06-05-2014, 06:58 PM
Just taking everyones opinions on if they drive at night or when they prefer to tuck their babies in their slips for the night ?

rydog
06-05-2014, 07:01 PM
I don't mind driving at night on my lake. If I was unfamiliar with the area I would be very hesitant about driving at night. Even on my home lake I get sketched out sometimes.

scott023
06-05-2014, 07:30 PM
We will, on occasion (fireworks),on our home lake. Familiarity gives some a small degree of comfort here, but we haven't anywhere else.

KnoxX2
06-05-2014, 08:02 PM
We only drive at night to go to the fireworks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttu
06-05-2014, 08:08 PM
I have quite a few times. only on my home lake, table rock and lake murray in southern Oklahoma with a good moon light.

love watching fireworks on the water but some of the most scary times ever on the water when they are done. people hammered with no idea where they are going and way to fast.

one year at lake of the Ozarks I ended up pulling in a cove and waiting for the huge cruisers to go by.

Bouyhead
06-05-2014, 08:11 PM
I drive at night. I'm very familiar with my area but always operate the boat like a newbie, being cocky will get you in trouble. I keep the speed under 20MPH, I look over the windshield as opposed to thru it, and I'm on the constant look out for go fast boats.

KnoxX2
06-05-2014, 08:19 PM
I drive at night. I'm very familiar with my area but always operate the boat like a newbie, being cocky will get you in trouble. I keep the speed under 20MPH, I look over the windshield as opposed to thru it, and I'm on the constant look out for go fast boats.

I hope you were not out at the beach 2 weeks ago. Your 190 would have been swallowed by the 100foot yachts for the Air Show. Sunday was just crazy. Stuck in traffic for 4 hours just to get there!!!

weist1013
06-05-2014, 08:25 PM
I didn't go at night unless I was fishing. But ever Since I installed my under water lights my wife and kids love staying out an extra 2-3 hours. Its awesome and there's no traffic at the ramp.

bret
06-05-2014, 08:29 PM
Only on occasion do my wife and I take out the MC at night but I've been on my lake for 22 years. Now we do take the party barge out quite a bit, we get couples together at dusk, all bring different dishes and have a "dinner and cocktail" cruise; just above idle to get a bit of wind flow. We have a small portable toilet for the ladies.

MLA
06-05-2014, 08:36 PM
IMO, night time on the lake is the absolute BEST! Especially in the spring or fall when there gets to be a little chill in the night air when the sun goes down.

Nick911
06-05-2014, 09:02 PM
Always. Best time to be out.

Nick911
06-05-2014, 09:03 PM
Remember to bring glowsticks for fallen surfers.

Bouyhead
06-05-2014, 09:05 PM
I hope you were not out at the beach 2 weeks ago. Your 190 would have been swallowed by the 100foot yachts for the Air Show. Sunday was just crazy. Stuck in traffic for 4 hours just to get there!!!

I was there looking for you! We hang in a little cove on the bay side just behind the tower. Got there at 10AM, watched the show, had lunch w/ a couple of cocktails, then took a nice nap. When I woke up everyone was gone!

jgraham37128
06-05-2014, 09:22 PM
I run at night a lot. We have a nice Marina a few miles from where I keep my boat docked. So we find ourself there a lot around 7:00 pm eating dinner and then it's dark when we start to head back.

We use Navionics only iPad to get us back safely. I'm familiar with our lake but it's nice to know exactly where you are in the water.

Now, up until two weeks ago we've never had a problem, but Memorial Day weekend we had a fuel pump go out as we were leaving around 8:30. It was dark. We were able to get it to run long enough to get back to the dock which was only about 100 yards. A nice gentleman and his son who happen to own a houseboat on the dock was there waiting when we pulled up. I think he heard us telling a large boat we were dead so he would have to go around us. We tied up to the end of the dock. Fast forward 30 minutes and we are in his fish and ski Tahoe boat headed back down the lake to our Marina. I'm in the back with my wife and two young daughters, who are asleep by this time. I'm in the back area trying to get Navionics going. I guess my iPad had taken an update and needed to re download the Navionocs app, problem is we have horrible cellular service. I'm not paying attention to where we are going at the time, but the app finally downloads. It shows us in the start of the cove and I'm helping us guide now by the app. Letting him know to move a little left or right. We are going about 35 and looking at lights trying to figure out where we are exactly. About this time we hear people yelling but no lights. I look over and can see them about five feet from the passenger side window. As I look back I can tell it's a Jon boat with four kids in it (18-25 years old)We pull the throttle all the way back, they are yelling you almost hit us. I yell back you don't have any dam$ lights on and your about to be killed on this lake. These kids are shaking scared to death because we came so close to them. They tell us they ran out of gas but still have a trolling motor and are trying to get back to Indian Creek boat dock. We tell them they are two hours from there since we think we are in the cove that goes to my marina. I tell them how lucky they are TWRA is not out there now dragging for their bodies. We agree to drag them to their ramp because we really felt they would be killed before the got there. Then my wife tells them to put on life jackets and they say they don't have any. Then a guy plugs in a back light. I wanted to kill them all at this point. I guess since they still had a trolling motor they decided they would save the battery with not having any lights on. Now this is fine if you are 5-10 ft from the bank but they are 300 yards from any bank. Long story short we realize we are in the wrong cove and they are about an hour from their ramp. We haul them back thinking these kids don't realize they almost spent their last day on earth today. The one girl in the boat says she just graduated high school the day before and was supposed to be home four hours ago. It's now 9:30-10:00 pm. I tell her to tell her parents they almost lost a child tonight. We finally get back to our marina and next day I get my boat and same guys are there waiting on me. They pull me around to the ramp with their jet ski. First class people.

The morale to this story is be careful, we will have life jackets on all of us now when going home in the dark. Kids are idiots they don't understand what can happen, so assume they are out there in a Jon boat with no lights on!

Cain0725
06-05-2014, 09:28 PM
i agree, less and underwater lights, dusk to 12 midnight is awesome.

FoggyNogginz
06-05-2014, 10:34 PM
I'm out at night twice per week. Dinner, late swims, drinks, music. Love it!

weist1013
06-05-2014, 10:40 PM
Kc you ever get out in Preist?

atihanyi
06-05-2014, 10:41 PM
the mastercraft sits on the lift and the poontoon hits the water

CruisinGA
06-05-2014, 10:45 PM
Most night cruises in the ski boat are at idle or just above.

I spend a lot of time on the lake in total darkness duck hunting. No lights. I know the lake like the back of my hand but one morning at 5:30 my buddy was hunched over due to a headache and I couldn't see a whole tree floating in front of us. Ramped the boat over the trunk like the movies. I thought for sure were going in. Bad news with waders on and 35 degree water. That experience definitely changed my habits.

brighac
06-05-2014, 10:45 PM
I like to go the ramp and watch all the people loading there boats. I gotta get some entertainment for the weekend.

FoggyNogginz
06-05-2014, 11:01 PM
Kc you ever get out in Preist?

No...I'm always on Old Hickory hitting the restaurants at night.

mzimme
06-05-2014, 11:09 PM
I don't mind driving at night if I'm familiar with the lake. My home lake is a corps lake with no development on it, so its hard to navigate if you have clouds covering the moonlight. The lake blends in with the shore and you can't tell where anything is. When I'm at the Ozarks or Table Rock, there's lights on everyone's dock lining the way so you can figure out where you're going. That's much more enjoyable than looking at your phone's GPS hoping you're not going to run into the bank.

blackhawk
06-05-2014, 11:18 PM
I never go out at night and do not want to. Last year on my lake, a bass boat crashed into an anchored pontoon around 2 am. One person on the pontoon died. The pontoon did have on their anchor light.

madcityskier
06-05-2014, 11:56 PM
Out at night fairly regularly. Know where you are. Navionics can be a big help with this if you're not on your home lake.

Let's face it, everyone can see what you're doing when you're boating in broad daylight. Take your wife out in the evening with a nice bottle of wine and treat her right. Maybe you'll find that there is a magical height to the motor box in that direct drive.

mzimme
06-06-2014, 12:20 AM
Out at night fairly regularly. Know where you are. Navionics can be a big help with this if you're not on your home lake.

Let's face it, everyone can see what you're doing when you're boating in broad daylight. Take your wife out in the evening with a nice bottle of wine and treat her right. Maybe you'll find that there is a magical height to the motor box in that direct drive.

Wife? What's that? :D

MC25
06-06-2014, 12:37 AM
Party cove starts popping off at night!

jdhart73
06-06-2014, 12:42 AM
All kinds of things popping off at night!

Tony Webb
06-06-2014, 02:45 AM
Too many things to hit at night, time to wind down and have a couple of drinks, so always avoid driving at night unless we are just going to another houseboat for a visit at idle
Too many have hit trees at night

Smarten
06-06-2014, 07:11 AM
We love going out at night. Once the sun goes down and light come on the throttle sits right above an idle. Turn up the music just above the engine sound and enjoy. Our last trip out at night, we got passed by a bass boat running his electric trolling motor8p

weist1013
06-06-2014, 08:49 AM
My kids love staying out and night swimming in the lights !http://https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6020138111863166690&oid=100784600965809957634

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6020138014251042546&oid=100784600965809957634

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/yourphotos?pid=6020143536430642066&oid=100784600965809957634

JohnE
06-06-2014, 11:11 AM
I love going out at night, as long as I am somewhat familiar with the lake. But I know my limitations and don't take chances.

Waterskibum
06-06-2014, 11:41 AM
Yep on Padgett or Saxon going from one house to another, or out gator watching. Can't wait to get the underwater lights on and see what happens with the gators :D

weist1013
06-06-2014, 11:56 AM
My under water lights draw in a lot of fish. My kids catch small ones with a net sitting on the swim platform. These light have definitely gave our family boating interest a huge boost.

73blue
06-06-2014, 01:01 PM
Yep on Padgett or Saxon going from one house to another, or out gator watching. Can't wait to get the underwater lights on and see what happens with the gators :D

Wow. My dad grew up in a house on Padgett. Dont see too many who know it. This was mid-late 60s. He had an amphi-car.

As for me, I remember my first time navigating at night. I was 17 and had just obtained the privilege of taking our deck boat without my dad, only in the day time though. My friends and i were staying at our lake house and one guy wanted us to pick him up at the launch across the lake. It was about 30 min before dusk and against my better judgement, I agreed. He was late of course, and by the time we started back it was full-blown dark. I was scared to death thinking we were gonna hit something. Took us a couple hours to make the 20 minute ride back.

thatsmrmastercraft
06-06-2014, 01:25 PM
I am on the water all the time after dark. Mostly while musky fishing, but also with my '77. It's all about knowing the water, the weather, and being careful.

weist1013
06-06-2014, 01:27 PM
Slow and easy, enjoy the ride!!

skps190
06-06-2014, 09:30 PM
We go out every now and then, our lake has a shipping lane that is well marked out so if/when we go I make sure not to stray to far from guides and keep the speed low. I'm surprised more people aren't killed boating at night though, it seems when we're at the lake there are usually 2 or 3 boats that come flying by at stupidly high rates of speed. Just asking for it in my opinion.

jradasaurus
06-06-2014, 10:14 PM
I'm out at night frequently- sometimes all night, being out at 2, 3, or 4am is normal. My lake has only one neighborhood and is the 2nd largest lake in Connecticut.

http://www.porfusion.com/night.jpg

Ripple
06-07-2014, 08:11 AM
Being out on SML at night is amazing and something we do often. However, night boating can be very dangerous if you do not know the water. I do not recommend it for boaters that are new to their body of water. Take it slow and enjoy the glassy ride.

BTW - huge fan of going out at sun up. As the sun rises you can open up your MC and enjoy the smooth ride

weist1013
06-09-2014, 08:00 AM
heres why we love to ride at night these are the blue LED Lights
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dynLTJEG4OU&feature=youtu.be

TN_Rider
06-09-2014, 11:33 AM
I boat at night 1-2 times a week and almost every Saturday. On Saturday nights we take a 20 minute boat ride to a marina called the breakers to listen to live music until 11-12:30 then either go float or just idle home. Nothing like being on the water at night! Nobody is around and it's just you. I'll be the only person on the lake for 5 miles each direction. Love it!

weist1013
06-09-2014, 11:37 AM
@TN RIDER nice set up!!

Sodar
06-09-2014, 11:43 AM
I boat at night pretty regularly. My grandfather taught me a little trick when I was younger. The trick is to find a stationary light in the distance and follow it. Be it the moon or even a light on someone's dock. If something breaks the reflection of the light on the water, you've got problems. As everyone said, slow and steady with your head on a swivel. Stuff happens at night to experienced boaters... even more often to inexperienced boaters. Be safe and take your time.

TN_Rider
06-09-2014, 12:01 PM
@TN RIDER nice set up!!

It gets bright!! Need to send me some of those underwater lights to demo ;)

weist1013
06-09-2014, 12:48 PM
If your interested I will work with you!!

TN_Rider
06-09-2014, 12:57 PM
If your interested I will work with you!!

PM sent

93Prostar190
06-09-2014, 01:05 PM
During our lake vacation weeks ... we call them night Cruises ... we certainly use a light and we run at idle speed or just above ..... if we park, we leave anchor light on (despite bugs) ....

I won't deny that at sometime in my crazy past, on a great moonlit night the speed would be faster .... as an older dude now, I am more into the mellow night cruise, with tunes and cool people .... some LED rings would add ambiance ..... I will work on that next.

JamesL
06-09-2014, 02:10 PM
Took a date on her first boating experience last Friday night for sunset and some star watching. Kept it at idle speed on way home. Added some lights that really pop at night.

weist1013
06-09-2014, 02:24 PM
james/ TN rider what process do you use to add pics to these threads?

CruisinGA
06-09-2014, 02:32 PM
tapatalk, the app for iphone/ipad/android

weist1013
06-09-2014, 03:09 PM
http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/06/10/5ahy2yra.jpg

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

JamesL
06-09-2014, 03:23 PM
use the "get advanced" button and select them from my work computer

weist1013
06-09-2014, 03:25 PM
Tap talk worked great!!

Upnorth07
06-09-2014, 04:58 PM
Boating at night is great. Several restaurants and bars on the Gull Lake chain in Nisswa, MN we frequent. Only downside is bugs. Although once, we boated to the local watering hole in snow flurries!

I use a hand held spot light to go shore to shore when needed. Otherwise, 30 years of experience on the chain help, too.

Can't wait for the 4th and fireworks on the boat!