PDA

View Full Version : Hydrilla Issue

TxsRiverRat
06-05-2014, 10:54 AM
I know someone here has dealt with this issue... Now it's Metroplex Ski Club's turn to deal with it again.

What have you done to remedy a hydrilla issue?

Do the hydrilla rakes work? If so for how long?

Did you rake it, then treat the water?

Hiring it out is $$$ as the club learned long ago, we definitely want to avoid that if possible.

Thanks!

pmkkdx
06-05-2014, 11:04 AM
probably not a good option these days, but the LCRA drops the lake levels on Inks, LBJ and Austin during the winter time for Hydrilla control (doesn't like cold temps) and allows for dock/retaining wall repairs. I think some have tried putting in some type of Asian carp that eats it, but not sure how well that has proven. There also may be some type of herbicide that can be applied, but not sure what other impacts that might create.

361Dustin
06-05-2014, 09:50 PM
There is a granule type of herbicide that is sold to kill or control hydrilla but I think you have to go through someone that is licensed to purchase it. I live on coleto lake near victoria tx and we have a serious issue with the plant. The people who control the lake used to spray a liquid type but have stopped for a few years now. It's not too bad of a issue right now but as the water heats up it will take over by the end of summer. I will see if I can find out what the granule is called. My neighbor has used it around his boat house before and it seemed to work.

atihanyi
06-05-2014, 10:25 PM
there is a company in whitebear lake mn that sells aquatic herbicide . you send them a sample of what you are dealing with and the match up the pellets . google them

ap77
06-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Our HOA has hired a company to apply a marine herbicide called Clearcast - http://www.sepro.com/canals/Clearcast.aspx

It has drastically reduced the weeds (we have a variety of species) - but it's not cheap. Roughly $900 per acre. Here is a link to the company's website: www.aquatechnex.com

Mossyrocks
06-06-2014, 07:23 AM
Our whole community throws in and hires a guy that sprays it. He has an air boat with an open header 454 and sprays the chemical into the fan. Looks fun as hell and it works.

CruisinGA
06-06-2014, 08:24 AM
Our whole community throws in and hires a guy that sprays it. He has an air boat with an open header 454 and sprays the chemical into the fan. Looks fun as hell and it works.

LOL that does not sound quite as controlled as the instructions seem like they call for!

orbeamlb
06-06-2014, 09:42 AM
probably not a good option these days, but the LCRA drops the lake levels on Inks, LBJ and Austin during the winter time for Hydrilla control (doesn't like cold temps) and allows for dock/retaining wall repairs. I think some have tried putting in some type of Asian carp that eats it, but not sure how well that has proven. There also may be some type of herbicide that can be applied, but not sure what other impacts that might create.

After LCRA dumped a second batch of the Asian Grass Carp in Lake Austin last year it seemed to really help. A couple of years ago the Hydrilla coverage was quite heavy. Last year just some random patches. I seem to recall that the Grass Carp are supposed to be sterile so they don't propagate.

TxsRiverRat
06-06-2014, 10:35 AM
So, has anyone tried one of those lake rakes?

We are hoping it does not spread to the entire cove. Right now, it's in our dock area only.

ap77
06-06-2014, 11:02 AM
I believe raking causes the weeds to spread to other areas.

Mossyrocks
06-06-2014, 11:40 AM
Yea we used to rake, now the whole area is covered.

jwroblew
06-06-2014, 12:35 PM
Looks like your lake is pretty big from my Google search, so whole lake treatment looks pricey. You will want to go with something you can spot treat with like Hydrothal (endothall), granular easy for spot treatment. Or Diquat liquid which is a contact kill so you have to make sure you get it on what your trying to kill, but it is fast acting. You can by either from the internet.

we rake followed by Hydrothal and Chealted Cooper, we have a slightly different weed. Getting the large blooms out first with the rake allows the chemical to finish off the rest of the stuff left behind.

Good luck

TxsRiverRat
06-06-2014, 05:16 PM
Thanks for all the feedback

I passed the link to this thread to my other officers as a starting point to discuss

BudmanV24
06-06-2014, 08:14 PM
After LCRA dumped a second batch of the Asian Grass Carp in Lake Austin last year it seemed to really help. A couple of years ago the Hydrilla coverage was quite heavy. Last year just some random patches. I seem to recall that the Grass Carp are supposed to be sterile so they don't propagate.

These aren't the carp that just multiply out of control to the point where they're so thick you can walk accross the water are they?!?

Also rat, I remember that conroe had a terrible hydrilla problem a few years back and it has completely cleared up now. I'll text one fo my friends who has a place aon Conroe and see if he knows what cleared it up.

BudmanV24
06-06-2014, 11:24 PM
These aren't the carp that just multiply out of control to the point where they're so thick you can walk accross the water are they?!?

Also rat, I remember that conroe had a terrible hydrilla problem a few years back and it has completely cleared up now. I'll text one fo my friends who has a place aon Conroe and see if he knows what cleared it up.

Ok, so on conroe they put a ton of sterilized asian carp into the lake. On top of that they dumped pesticides into the lake towards the end of the process..

blakehardesty
06-09-2014, 11:35 AM
My lake has been fighting it for years. We are millions of $$$ into it at this point. I will attaché some links below. Hope it helps.

http://www.rochsent.com/main.asp?Search=1&ArticleID=3341&SectionID=15&SubSectionID=31&S=1

http://www.lakemanitou.org/

TxsRiverRat
06-10-2014, 11:28 AM
Anyone know about this product?

I know it may be trying to put a bandaid over a bullet hole, but I am trying to find a DIY affordable solution, even if its for only a season or two.

http://www.lakerestoration.com/default.aspx?

kjohnson
06-10-2014, 12:40 PM
Carp work well. They did it on my lake and the hydrilla was gone fairly quickly. Once all of the hyrilla is gone, the carp die.

pnrscott
06-18-2014, 01:25 PM
Drove the length of Lake Austin a couple of times in the past few weeks and didn't see any sign of Hydrilla. Lake residents are reporting the same thing. Since the lake is the water supply for Austin and downstream communities, they don't use any chemicals.
Here is a public announcement on the stocking of Asian Grass carp...
http://www.austintexas.gov/article/sterile-asian-grass-carp-be-released-lake-austin-hydrilla-control

so, hydrilla is under control now, but it goes in cycles.... so more fish will be needed in some year to come.

TxsRiverRat
06-18-2014, 02:32 PM
Problem with Carp: They get huge and are fun to catch. We do not want to get rid of issue #1 (hydrilla) and replace it with issue #2 (fishermen); which has been pretty bad this season.

Tommy1005
06-18-2014, 03:37 PM
Our place on LBJ is on a cove and we never had issues until 2 years ago. We hired a company to scrape down to the granite base and they hauled off I think 5 dump trucks worth of dirt and plants last summer. This summer it is back just as bad if not worse than before they scraped it. There is a chemical that if you put it in the water you can't swim in it for 6 weeks and it would've done a better job from what I've been told, but LCRA denied the permit to use it on LBJ.

We don't have hydrilla, but a plant that is very similar. I believe it is coming in on the influx of trailer boats that we have seen over the last couple of years since all the other lakes are so low.

mbeach
06-18-2014, 04:02 PM

the grass carp used in aquatic weed control is a triploid hybrid (genetic term) and therefore not capable of reproduction. they love hydrilla and other like plants as elodea. most herbicides labeled for aquatic use are restricted and legally can only be purchased by a licensed applicator making the regulation easier to monitor.

ap77
06-18-2014, 09:23 PM
Ways to control Hydrilla from Wikipedia:

Hydrilla can be controlled by the application of aquatic herbicides and it is also eaten by grass carp, itself an invasive species in North America. Insects used as biological pest control for this plant include weevils of the genus Bagous and the Asian hydrilla leaf-mining fly (Hydrellia pakistanae).

orbeamlb
06-18-2014, 10:02 PM
On a side note, took my 17 year old son and a two of his friends out on Lake Austin 2 weeks ago and noticed the Zebra Mussel signs posted at the boat ramp.

Tommy1005
06-18-2014, 10:10 PM
yup.....they were checking boats on LBJ Memorial Day weekend....with all the boats traveling in from the metroplex area I'm glad they're atleast checking.

MC25
06-18-2014, 10:30 PM
The first day of the "season" up here, the game wardens were out suggesting we drain our bilge, and empty out all ballast tanks etc. Since we pretty much exclusively use lewisville it isn't that big of a deal, but i would hate for this crap to spread elsewhere! There are billboards all over the place up here pretty much comparing preventative cleaning to wearing a condom to prevent STDs lol

ncsone
06-18-2014, 10:41 PM
On a side note, took my 17 year old son and a two of his friends out on Lake Austin 2 weeks ago and noticed the Zebra Mussel signs posted at the boat ramp.

Get ready, they are coming your way. It is just a matter of time with the amount of people who trailer boats between lakes and the general lack of awareness of the usual lake 'homers'.

rodltg2
06-19-2014, 12:54 AM
Raking it is probably a bad idea. I was a member of a ski lake that had Eurasian milfoil weed problem. The lake was fed by the river and then flowed back into it. Chemicals would work but only for a short period of time at a cost of $10 k. Everyone pretty much left and no one wanted to ski there anymore. I went back a few years later and it looked really clear. Dropped my boat in and started re installing course. Came back few days later and the weed came back. Week later you could practically walk across the lake it was do infested. I figure it was my prop cutting up the small amount if weed still there and it multiplied. Abandoned the lake and it sits un used now.