PDA

View Full Version : Collapse tower on boat lift w/canopy options?

h2oski89
06-04-2014, 10:40 PM
I have a hewitt lift with a canopy and cover the boat for the week, I just picked up a waterline cover from skiboatcovers.com that isn't pictured here. I collapse the tower to get it to fit and right now I'm running a board across the back of the boat to rest the tower on. I'm planning on reinforcing the board so it doesn't bend as it does now, I am wondering what other people are doing on their lifts to support their tower?

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=5945

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=5518

MC25
06-04-2014, 10:53 PM
I used to use life vests.

texasjet
06-04-2014, 11:28 PM
On our 2008 x30 we uses a small hard sided ice chest sitting in the walk through to the platform.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

kingwoodlee
06-05-2014, 12:39 PM
I have a conventional 4 cable boat lift with the 2" galvanized pipe above the boat to wind the cables around while lifting. I use a 30" strap to hang my tower from this 2" pipe. It keeps the tower off the boat cover. You can also raise and lower the boat quite a bit before you have to remove the strap. In fact, while the tower is strapped, I can lower the boat to the point where the tower clicks back into position before I have to remove the strap to continue lowering the boat. Ill try and take a picture tonight and repost tomorrow.

soacj
06-05-2014, 01:07 PM
I have a conventional 4 cable boat lift with the 2" galvanized pipe above the boat to wind the cables around while lifting. I use a 30" strap to hang my tower from this 2" pipe. It keeps the tower off the boat cover. You can also raise and lower the boat quite a bit before you have to remove the strap. In fact, while the tower is strapped, I can lower the boat to the point where the tower clicks back into position before I have to remove the strap to continue lowering the boat. Ill try and take a picture tonight and repost tomorrow.

I'm in the same situation lift-wise and really like this idea. I often throw a rope over the overhead winch pole to ease single-handed raising/lowering of the tower but it never occurred to me to leave it hanging.

h2oski89
06-07-2014, 09:25 AM
Thanks for the info, I'm going to try hanging my tower from the canopy this weekend, I don't like the board laying on the cover so this just might work!

CantRepeat
06-07-2014, 10:29 AM
Nice looking Lab you have.

zamboniman
06-07-2014, 11:27 AM
sunchaser makes a nice custom canopy you could retrofit to your lift then keep the tower up. Basically long side skirts on the canopy. I'm happy with mine. I have room to lower it a bit or crank the boat a bit higher (bottom of skirt to about rub rail) if needed.

JPK
06-07-2014, 04:24 PM
I have an X9 on a Shorestation lift and I don't drop the tower when its on the lift. I raise it until the top of the tower is almost touching the canopy and I have never had an issue. I also just bought a waterline cover from SBC.com. However in the past my boat with the original MC cover never had rain get in. The lower end is out of the water and I'm good.....

h2oski89
06-07-2014, 04:36 PM
JPK do you have a picture of your setup? I'm going to take a look and see how much I can raise my canopy!

h2oski89
06-08-2014, 10:28 AM
I only had another 3 inches of pipe so I can't go in full tower but I did try hanging the tower from the canopy and that worked great!

h2oski89
06-08-2014, 04:55 PM
I snapped a couple of pictures of the straps holding the tower up, the cover also fits better now without the board bending into it. I put the back seat in the up position with a boat cushion on it and laid the tower down, drove into the lift and used a couple of ratchet straps to lift it into place, no more board :) Such a simple solution but one I hadn't thought of.

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=6440

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/picture.php?albumid=904&pictureid=6439