PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass, or Others?

h2oskifreak
06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
I am getting ready to put speed control on my 1994 PS TBI. I only use the boat for course skiing, so I don't need a wake board edition. I have yet to be on P.P. site, but before I spend a lot of time researching I thought I would go where I always get good input. Is Perfect Pass the best for my application. What specifically should I know as I go down this road? I am installing a new course this weekend and have magnets ready to install.
Thanks, Skifreak.

ProStar Slalom
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
I would watch ski-it-again and/or ebay and find a used complete system, or put one together. You'll need the timer to pick-up magnets. Paddlewheel versions will require drilling a hole in the hull. Stargazer is the GPS version. If you're piecing a set together, make sure the chip/module is compatible with the display. Single line display is for versions 6.5n (I think) and earlier. Installation is pretty easy and they have good tech support.

ghind
06-04-2014, 08:53 AM
New stargazer units come with the latest software which is a LOT better. The savings in second hand don't really add up, especially if something doesn't go to plan, is wrong for your boat etc. Just get new

Jeff d
06-04-2014, 09:01 AM
I don't think there are "Others" that would be applicable to your boat/course. Last I heard Zero Off was only for throttle by wire boats which I'm certain your 1994 does not have (i.e. they don't have a mechanical throttle control servo available). There is HydroPhase RideSteady which is looking like a great option now but it's really just for wakeboarding, surfing and casual skiing (i.e. no integration for a course with magnets).

maxpower220
06-04-2014, 11:14 AM
I search for a long time on SIA and ebay. I found it only slightly more to buy new with exactly what I wanted and for MY boat. I got GPS version, no need for magnets.

Check skier to skier.

JMLVMI
06-04-2014, 11:17 AM
You want the PerfectPass StarGazer 3-Event version. It includes Wakeboard mode so you have it if you ever want it. If you are really into course skiing and see yourself competing in tournaments (or skiing with people who do), opt for the Z-Box upgrade which is way cheaper at time of purchase. As others have said, use http://www.skiertoskier.com/ for the best price and service.

Oh yea, and no need for magnets!

Hammer
06-04-2014, 12:18 PM
You want the PerfectPass StarGazer 3-Event version. It includes Wakeboard mode so you have it if you ever want it. If you are really into course skiing and see yourself competing in tournaments (or skiing with people who do), opt for the Z-Box upgrade which is way cheaper at time of purchase. As others have said, use http://www.skiertoskier.com/ for the best price and service.

This!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

JMLVMI
06-04-2014, 04:06 PM
This!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Believe me...I've looked and hovered over that "Buy Now" button more times than I can count!

waterlogged882
06-04-2014, 04:12 PM

Hammer
06-04-2014, 04:21 PM
What he said....

I installed the same said PP a year or so back. Nice unit. Once you use it, you'll see the worth of the price ($1,267 in June of 2013), especially for drivers that want a little less stress while in the seat.

IE - Wife. "Happy wife happy life!"

h2oskifreak
06-04-2014, 07:04 PM

So, not to be totally ignorant but on my 1994 I CAN do the GPS w/o spending a ton? I think the 3 event is not a bad idea, but I really do pretty much slalom in the course. I am looking to spend around the $1,250 +/- number.

Jeff d
06-04-2014, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the gps is slightly more expensive but is significantly easier to install. No hole drilling for the paddle wheel. The fact that your boat is a '94 has no bearing on GPS compatibility.

Xjet2011
06-04-2014, 08:52 PM
I purchased the Stargazer Wake Edition a couple years ago. I believe it is the cheapest version. It uses GPS and is quite easy to install. Wake Edition has Slalom mode and works quite well. 2 years ago when I installed the system I ran into a problem where if I increased to speed from 32 to 34 MPH it worked fine but when resetting it back to 32 the boat would run 30 MPH. I believe it was a software problem but at the time I decided to upgrade the system for a couple more hundred Bucks to the 3 event version. (the names can be confusing as both versions have multiple modes) ie Slalom, Jump, Trick, Wakeboard, RPM, The 3 event version is just more refined and actually has more pages to possibly confuse you.

You can upgrade all the way from Wake Edition to 3 Event and even up to Zbox and do so with ease as it is just basically software changes. Bad part is that if you do change versions you have to do the setup again for each speed. Not very hard but can be confusing.
They Guys that work at Perfect pass are great to work with and will help you on the phone with anything you need. My advise would be buy New from them. You will have the latest software for whatever version you choose. Again My suggestion would be start with the least expensive version first, Star Gazer Wake Edition. I installed it myself in 2-3 hours. Another Suggestion is when you get the system installed and are calibrating it at the lake do it during Perfect Pass business hours so you can call them on the phone from your boat if you need assistance in setting up the program for the speeds you want.

Good luck. Gary

atihanyi
06-04-2014, 10:36 PM
Believe me...I've looked and hovered over that "Buy Now" button more times than I can count!

makes at least two of us

MC205
06-10-2014, 12:36 AM
makes at least two of us

I finally broke down and quit hovering today!

mgs96ps
06-10-2014, 04:38 AM

JMLVMI
06-10-2014, 07:35 AM
http://www.hydrophase.com/ridesteady

Ridesteady by hydophase is an option. Seems like a legit system that could drive down cost. To be honest...almost seems like better components.

Looks interesting for wakeboarders...wonder how they got around PP's patents? The OP is looking for ski course timing so this probably isn't an option for him though.

east tx skier
06-10-2014, 11:20 AM
In my experience, you'll be happiest just get the best and baddest. Stargazer 3 event with zbox. The software for the latest and greatest locks in superbly and the zbox will offer your buddies who want that tournament feel to want to use your boat as well as their own. Buy once; cry once.

You won't need magnets with SG. You just set the waypoints at each entry gate and you're good to go.

Dylan
10-08-2014, 01:32 PM
I'm doing the un-holy thing and bumping this thread. I'm ready to buy today for my Maliblues. What did you end up with h20?