PDA

View Full Version : $1600 for 100hr service on 2013 X-30??

Kimper
06-03-2014, 10:22 PM
So, my 2013 X-30 is due for its 100hr service. With the boat sale I had negotiated the first year of service and the 30hr service for free. It sits on a lift at lake LBJ near Austin Texas. I called the service department at Boat Town in Austin (where I bought the boat last year) and scheduled the service there on the lake since I don't even own a trailer. Before I got off the phone I asked, "oh yeah, about how much will this run me?"

"Oh, between $1500-$1600 dollars"

I nearly dropped the phone!!!!

Is this crazy or what? Can anyone chime in on prices for 100hr service?

At boat purchase time I was told the "on lift" at lake LBJ service fee was $175 for travel time plus whatever service charges were.

I sent an email to them tonight to figure out what all they included in the 100hr service so I could shop around locally for a better deal... But regardless, I'm just flabbergasted!

mikeg205
06-03-2014, 10:26 PM
What services do you get at the 100hr service?

yikes..

Jeff d
06-03-2014, 10:30 PM
Not sure what they call a 100 hr service but impeller, belt, sparkplugs, oil and filter change, trans lube change and greasing of the steering cable (if that's even applicable on your boat) would be less than $150 in parts/materials and 2-3 hrs of your time.

Edit: make that 3-4 hrs of your time if you've never done it before.
Edit 2: Don't the newer boats have platinum plugs? If so it might be a little more than $150 but still less than $200 if you even needed/wanted to change them. They last 100,000 miles in a car so is expect they'd last well over 100 hrs in a boat.

Tri4X2
06-03-2014, 10:35 PM
That's crazy prices from the Stealership!!! Looking to buy an X30 from them too!!

cwarndahl
06-03-2014, 10:41 PM
I hate to hear that, but that's my closest dealer and when I try to get parts from my 01 x10 they say we don't stock parts like that for those old boats, when I talked to them about the nxt they refer to them as not real mastercraft. Try texas mastercraft in Dallas, they mail me parts and may have a better solution for you. Again sorry to hear that.

Tri4X2
06-03-2014, 10:46 PM
Who are you dealing with there? Sucks that TSr went Bu

jdhart73
06-03-2014, 10:47 PM
Straight from the 2013 Manual, you are getting jerked around.

• Replace the fuel filter (to be performed by an authorized MasterCraft technician only). • Check the propeller shaft coupler alignment.
• Lubricate the steering system.
• Lubricate the throttle and shift cables.
• Check the engine mounts.
• Inspect the complete fuel system for leakage.
• Check the fire extinguisher and suppression units on-board.

trickskier
06-03-2014, 10:48 PM
So, my 2013 X-30 is due for its 100hr service. With the boat sale I had negotiated the first year of service and the 30hr service for free. It sits on a lift at lake LBJ near Austin Texas. I called the service department at Boat Town in Austin (where I bought the boat last year) and scheduled the service there on the lake since I don't even own a trailer. Before I got off the phone I asked, "oh yeah, about how much will this run me?"

"Oh, between $1500-$1600 dollars"

I nearly dropped the phone!!!!

Is this crazy or what? Can anyone chime in on prices for 100hr service?

At boat purchase time I was told the "on lift" at lake LBJ service fee was $175 for travel time plus whatever service charges were.

I sent an email to them tonight to figure out what all they included in the 100hr service so I could shop around locally for a better deal... But regardless, I'm just flabbergasted!
You need to learn how to do your own PM maintenance........

Tri4X2
06-03-2014, 10:55 PM
I'm on Travis here in Austin. I had the local marina guys do my scheduled MUCH cheaper. 100hr on my X2for $200 roughly

CantRepeat
06-03-2014, 10:57 PM
I hope that price includes a reach-around.

sdinga
06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
TSR told me they will still do MC warranty work

jdhart73
06-03-2014, 10:58 PM
I will do it for $1000!

sdinga
06-03-2014, 11:01 PM
Your in SA but keep your boat on LBJ?

Kimper
06-03-2014, 11:06 PM
Your in SA but keep your boat on LBJ?

Yup, that's right.

With my previous Mastercraft Josh at TSR would charge me about $175 for filter and oil change and trip time.. He would comp me the $75 trip charge most of the time if he had any other boats to service up there.

Tri4X2
06-03-2014, 11:07 PM
Too much drama going on at TSR. With Travis and Russ leaving they went down hill in my mind.

Tri4X2
I'd call and see if Josh is still there

scott023
I hope that price includes a reach-around.

Even more than that, I'd say. Sheesh

lashburn1
06-04-2014, 01:04 AM
I was quoted $800 for the 100hr service. thought that was insane

dsword
06-04-2014, 01:33 AM
$743 for 100 hour service at local Mastercraft dealer in San Francisco Bay Area for a 2006 Xstar. And this is not the cheapest place to live.

David Sword

MC25
06-04-2014, 02:30 AM
we aren't talking tx mc are we?

FourFourty
06-04-2014, 08:05 AM
Not sure what they call a 100 hr service but impeller, belt, sparkplugs, oil and filter change, trans lube change and greasing of the steering cable (if that's even applicable on your boat) would be less than $150 in parts/materials and 2-3 hrs of your time.

Edit: make that 3-4 hrs of your time if you've never done it before.
Edit 2: Don't the newer boats have platinum plugs? If so it might be a little more than $150 but still less than $200 if you even needed/wanted to change them. They last 100,000 miles in a car so is expect they'd last well over 100 hrs in a boat.

Even regular plugs last way beyond 100 hours. They should be fine for 200-300 hours. Platinums should last 500-700 hours.

kyfooter
06-04-2014, 08:18 AM
Just curious, but does anyone else find it unnecessary to change fuel filters and spark plugs after just 100 hours? On my first MC, I changed plugs, wires, filters, distributor cap, rotor,etc. every year. That was our 1986 MC Skier. Ran strong year-in, year-out. We would put 50-75 hours on it each year. Sold it with 1,200 hours on it.

On our 2003 197 I never changed the plugs or wires once. 10 years later with 400 hours on it we sold the boat. It never once gave us a problem, always fired right up, ran just as strong the day I sold it as the day I bought it. We changed oil and transmission fluid regularly. The one time we did change the fuel filter, it was a @#%#& because the tank lost shape as soon as the filter was removed.

100 hours averaging 35 MPH is 3,500 miles right? Anyone change their fuel filters and plugs after 100 hours in their truck?

Greasing steering, and other areas, sure. But what is the theory on replacing spark plugs, wires, and fuel filters in 100 hour intervals?

FourFourty
06-04-2014, 08:28 AM
100 hours averaging 35 MPH is 3,500 miles right? Anyone change their fuel filters and plugs after 100 hours in their truck?

A boat engine is run harder than a car/truck engine, and plugs will wear out faster, because it is constantly under a heavier load. That being said, your point is valid. I would maybe just say that we run more of a 100hrs=10,000 miles in a truck.

My buddy has a 05 ps197 with 1100hrs on the clock. It had plugs replaced once, at 700hrs. It never missed a beat.

jgraham37128
06-04-2014, 08:38 AM
I asked about changing plugs in my X2 with 192 hours this year. He told me I would trade the boat before it needed plugs! I thought now that's pretty funny.

curver900
06-04-2014, 08:46 AM
I will fly down the first week of Nov. do your service and winterize it for $1200...

Let the bidding begin, if I didn't have to fly down I could do it for $600 a steal anywhere...:D8p

Some people don't want nor need to do their own service, but to blatantly rip them off is pretty sad... if you would have not asked, he would have shown up and billed you $1600... now that would have been even worse, so good for asking!

mikeg205
06-04-2014, 08:52 AM
let's not forget the dealerships need to keep the lights on. :) :D -- some people have no problem with these prices.. If you don't like the price - do it yourself if you can.... just sayin' ....

Jeff d
06-04-2014, 09:06 AM
Even regular plugs last way beyond 100 hours. They should be fine for 200-300 hours. Platinums should last 500-700 hours.
On the maintenance schedule for non-platinum boats it's called for once per season. I don't do it but I'm pretty certain it's on there. I've changed mine twice in 4 years and even that seems like overkill.

bturner2
06-04-2014, 09:10 AM
The only wild card I see in the equation is the engine alignment check. vDrives are a PITA to do anything with the coupler. If they do the check correctly they're going to need to loosen up the coupler and check the mating surfaces with a feeler gauge. This in itself shouldn't take that much time but if the adjustment is included, the time to do the alignment could be an hour or two depending on what is discovered at the time.

This is not to say that I don't think the charges are high, they are but if he was totally off the charts I would think he wouldn't be busy doing service and would lower his prices. Supply and demand if you will. I'm also pretty sure that when any marine service company sees a customer that is looking for door to door service they see dollar signs, especially those that buy a ski boat without a trailer. With that move you've pretty much painted a sign on your back that says "captive customer, charge me whatever you want".

So as to your options..... I've had four MC inboards over the past 25 years and haven't had to do an alignment on one of them. As I buy boats that are typically 2 - 3 years old I will typically have the alignment checked after initial purchase and only if hit something or damage a prop. If I'm not feeling any vibrations or seeing any wear/issues I leave it alone. So based on my experience you can mark that off you 100 hour list if you're not experiencing issues. That leaves you with the rest of the punch list which honestly is really simple stuff. With all the information on this site you do these items yourself. If you're not apposed to getting your hands dirty and learning something new just suck it up and do the remaining maintenance tasks yourself.

Your only other option is to shop the free market and see about a better price. I would suspect however that in the height of the season with demand for repair ramping up that you will not find a price you'll be happy with.

pmkkdx
06-04-2014, 09:24 AM
A friend of mine (owns Chaparral) uses a place called Anchor's Away on FM1431 just north of Hwy 29 at Lake Buchanan. David (512) 793-4197 ... He highly recommended him, but not an authorized MC place, just a small boat shop I believe. I am not sure if he also offers mobile service but might be worth a phone call to see since he is not very far away.

A few weeks ago, my wife called Boat Town to check on pricing for oil change, tranmission fluid change and new impellor/installation and was told $550-$560 but that was if we dropped the boat off in their south Austin shop.

hmmmm, will an X30 fit onto an '04 X2 trailer? I know it (boat) would be a bit too long, but might work for a short haul???

FourFourty
06-04-2014, 10:44 AM
On the maintenance schedule for non-platinum boats it's called for once per season. I don't do it but I'm pretty certain it's on there. I've changed mine twice in 4 years and even that seems like overkill.

I don't doubt it Jeff. That wouldn't surprise me at all.

I am just saying, that changing them that often is a waste of $$. (unless you put 300hrs on per season)

Kimper
06-04-2014, 10:49 AM
Update.. Here was their response to my email about the price.

I almost called you back last yesterday. Our normal 100 hour service includes doing things like replacing the ballast pump impellers. Performing a tune up on the engine. Your boat being so new with hopefully no ballast or running issues we will do basic maintenance.
This is what we need to do.
Change engine oil and filter.
Change transmission fluid
Replace the water pump impeller
Multiple points on the boat to lubricate.
Test all systems.
Check all adjustment.
We normally add a fuel additive to keep the moisture down in your cooling system.
Sorry to freak you out over the price.
What we need to do along with the lake service call will run around a 900.00 plus tax.
Let me know if this is ok.
Thanks

I said it was still too high and to take me off their schedule.

On an up note I talked to my salesperson, Russ, who I had followed to boat town from TSR.
Russ is actually doing another line of work and only working with Mastercraft part time (I can't quite figure out the relationship). Anyway, he said price was crazy and he would figure a way to help me out.

As far as doing the work myself. I am very mechanically minded, but not a mechanic. I am a doctor, and I am happy to pay someone a fair wage for their time to do the work so I can spend my very limited free time enjoying the boat instead of working on the boat.

Thanks to prior poster for their nearby mechanic's number! I will defiantly be getting "bids" on the work above!

TxsRiverRat
06-04-2014, 11:47 AM
Call a boat dealer and ask how much they charge for an oil change... I did once just so I knew...

$160 for an oil change?

I asked "Why?"

"It's not like a car, sir..."

I said "I know, it's easier..."

Then I said thank you and hung up.

DIY is your friend.

CantRepeat
06-04-2014, 12:07 PM
WHAT? How do you keep moisture down in a cooling system full of water? Lol, he must have meant the fuel system.

We normally add a fuel additive to keep the moisture down in your cooling system.

pmkkdx
06-04-2014, 12:10 PM
I have used a guy in Cedar Park over the years for general stuff I wasn't willing to do myself but I am pretty sure he doesn't do mobil service.

Years ago I used Sail & Ski but when they moved to their current location, they were very hard to fit in their schedule AND they got pretty sticky about service on a boat they hadn't sold (they are a Nautique dealer).

what part of LBJ is your place? We might be out there on Friday ...

CantRepeat
06-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Call a boat dealer and ask how much they charge for an oil change... I did once just so I knew...

$160 for an oil change?

I asked "Why?"

"It's not like a car, sir..."

I said "I know, it's easier..."

Then I said thank you and hung up.

DIY is your friend.

$26 bucks for an oil change in a car. So $125 to warm up the motor and catch the oil so it doesn't run into the bilge from the filter.

I could do 5 oil changes a day, Monday thru Thursday and make some real good money!!

5x4x4=80 jobs per month x $160 = $12,800 a month!!!

OK, who needs an oil change?

TxsRiverRat
06-04-2014, 12:24 PM
$26 bucks for an oil change in a car. So $125 to warm up the motor and catch the oil so it doesn't run into the bilge from the filter.

I could do 5 oil changes a day, Monday thru Thursday and make some real good money!!

let me know if you need an assistant :D

nickespi
06-04-2014, 12:24 PM

Now this man understands business!

Ripple
06-04-2014, 12:51 PM
Yikes, that seems very expensive. Waiting to hear from my local dealer regarding 100 hour svc on my X15. Hope it is not that expensive

Kimper
06-04-2014, 12:52 PM
what part of LBJ is your place? We might be out there on Friday ...

We are in Granite Shoals. Sadly, I won't be there next 2 weekends.. Well, not too sad going to Hawaii. Funny thing is, I would rather goto the lake, but the rest of the family has a vote..!

pmkkdx
06-04-2014, 01:02 PM
have fun in Hawaii ... We usually stay upstream around Kingsland mainly up the CO but have friends that we visit in Highland Haven, Sunrise Beach and Granite shoals when they are out there. Is your place on open water or up one of the channels?

Kimper
06-04-2014, 01:12 PM
have fun in Hawaii ... We usually stay upstream around Kingsland mainly up the CO but have friends that we visit in Highland Haven, Sunrise Beach and Granite shoals when they are out there. Is your place on open water or up one of the channels?

Just moved from a channel in Highland Haven to open water in Granite Shoals.. That's why I can't afford an oil change, Lol!

pmkkdx
06-04-2014, 01:32 PM
Just moved from a channel in Highland Haven to open water in Granite Shoals.. That's why I can't afford an oil change, Lol!

yep, I hear ya there ... prices keep going up to stupid levels touching the water.

A friend was looking at several in Sunrise beach area, 60-70' waterfront with 1500-2k sq ft home, dock with lift for $890-950k decided on a 13 acre mini ranch with 3k sq ft 5/3 home with pool, number of nice out buildings & horse barns that was 5 mins to Sunrise Beach Marina for ~$600k, said he could rent a slip for life.

I suspect if Travis ever gets full again, LBJ waterfront might drop ... a little

Kimper
07-30-2014, 10:04 AM
Update..
Got the service done for $800 from Texas Ski Ranch.

Still a lot of money, but those guys are easy to deal with and I know the guy they sent out and trust that he did a good job and actually checked everything on the list.

They ended up replacing all impellers (engine and ballast) , and replacing the lid on the plastic trap where the fresh water gets sucked in (where that filter is.. Not sure proper name for it).
Oil and filter change.
I asked about fuel filter and was informed that MC has switched to "millennium" pump and there is nothing to service.. (I guess until it breaks - as I saw in a few posts on here).