PDA

View Full Version : Need Recommendations for PA

TimJ
06-03-2014, 03:48 PM
Hello,

Anyone have recommendations for good wakeboarding lakes in central PA? I live in OH, my brother is in MD, would like to find a good lake somewhere in the middle, perferably with house rentals available. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

Double D
06-03-2014, 04:09 PM
Welcome to Teamtalk!!

Raystown Lake was recently brought to my attention but I know nothing about it. I was looking up houseboating and one place rents them that I could find but options are limited, say compared to a Cumberland... Good Luck and keep us Ohio folks posted.

Also, bring that X-1 up to Columbus the weekend of August 16th and party with other MasterCraft owners. Here is a link to Buckeye Bash 5 and we're also on Facebook by clicking the link in my signature. Hope to see you there!

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?t=59780

Jerseydave
06-03-2014, 04:30 PM
Raystown Lake.......been there dozens of times, rented houseboats 4 times.

The key to this lake is to be there during the week....you will have it all to yourself.
Weekends get busy but doable, just don't go on a holiday weekend. Still you'll be able to get in some early morning/late evening runs.

There are no houses directly on the lake. It's owned by the Army Corp of Engineers.

Houseboats, if your group is large get the biggest one with the hot tub.

http://www.7pointsmarina.com/Houseboat_Rentals.html

www.raystownresort.com has camping, rooms, villas and also houseboat rentals. The villas are pretty nice, and you can anchor your boat near shore in a no wake zone.

Jerseydave
06-03-2014, 04:33 PM
The water near the dam is super clean (near 7 points), less clear up near Raystown resort.

You could also look into Deep Creek Lake in western MD. I've never been there but I hear it's nice and it does have houses on it (perhaps some for rent)
Again, it's probably busy on weekends.

Double D
06-03-2014, 04:38 PM
Raystown Lake.......been there dozens of times, rented houseboats 4 times.

The key to this lake is to be there during the week....you will have it all to yourself.
Weekends get busy but doable, just don't go on a holiday weekend. Still you'll be able to get in some early morning/late evening runs.

There are no houses directly on the lake. It's owned by the Army Corp of Engineers.

Houseboats, if your group is large get the biggest one with the hot tub.

http://www.7pointsmarina.com/Houseboat_Rentals.html

www.raystownresort.com has camping, rooms, villas and also houseboat rentals. The villas are pretty nice, and you can anchor your boat near shore in a no wake zone.

The water near the dam is super clean (near 7 points), less clear up near Raystown resort.

You could also look into Deep Creek Lake in western MD. I've never been there but I hear it's nice and it does have houses on it (perhaps some for rent)
Again, it's probably busy on weekends.

This aint my thread but thanks Jerseydave!! Good info!! ;)

Jerseydave
06-03-2014, 04:42 PM
This might wet your appetite......112296

TSchimizzi
06-04-2014, 07:49 AM
There are lots of great lakes in the area. Some are better than others for watersports and others are better for more "family" entertainment. Do you have kids to entertain while you're there, want to eat at restaurants, rent a nice house, camp, be secluded, etc...

Deep Creek Lake in Western MD is by far the most popular of the lakes in the area. There are hundreds of rental houses available through 4 or 5 realty companies. You'll find a ton of restaurants and a few pretty fun bars as well. They have lots of activities for kids: mini golf, go carts, movie theatre and a great State Park. The Wisp ski resort is there as well, they have a ton of summer activities. If you're looking for a family vacation DCL is it. The only downfall is the lake gets busy (especially on the weekends) but you can find decent water in the mornings and evenings pretty much every day.

Close to Deep Creek is Youghiogheny river lake, it spans SW PA and NW MD. There are houses on the lake but no realty companies that I know of. Finding a rental would be a little more work but I know there are private individuals who rent their cabins out. Don't expect to find a nice, big lakehouse on Yough like you would at DCL. There are a few nice campgrounds but aside from that Yough has zero amenities. You'll have a hard time finding many restaurants, bars or activities for kids. The plus side is you can usually find smooth water on the Yough at all times.

Raystown Lake is a big lake, clean and not very crowded (during the week anyways). They have houseboat rentals available which is pretty cool. There are two major marinas on the lake and most of the development is based around them. There are some nice campgrounds but few amenities or other places to stay on the lake. Raystown has some pretty cool rock/cliff areas to jump off of which is rare around here.

A true hidden gem is Tygart Lake outside of Morgantown, WV. The lake is deep, clean and is not very crowded. There is one hotel, marina and campground on the lake to stay, outside of that there is nothing. The lake has some goofy rules about swimming from shore so you have to float in the boat all day. If you're looking to get away and not be bothered (no cell service usually) this is the place to go.

If you want a great family vacation with decent water go to Deep Creek. Any of the other 3 will offer better water but way less amenities.

Tom

TimJ
06-04-2014, 08:51 AM
Double D, Jerseydave and TSchimizzi, thanks so much for the info, I really appreciate it! You guys are awesome. Jerseydave, that picture looks pretty darn inviting, especially compared to the mud hole (aka Buckeye Lake) that I usually go to locally. TSchimizzi, thanks for the details about Deep Creek, that sounds like exactly what I'm looking for.

Double D, Buckeye Bash 5 looks like a good time, thanks for the invite!

Tim

TSchimizzi
06-04-2014, 07:18 PM
If you end up planning a trip to DCL let me know, I can offer some advice on where to stay, ski, hangout, etc!