PDA

View Full Version : Combo Trip - Scuba and Skiing

TxsRiverRat
06-02-2014, 05:01 PM
Just got back from another Caribbean Trip – this time it was to Jamaica... 5d in Ocho Rios, 5d in Negril. I must say, after 3 trips to this island, I have visited Runaway Bay, Ocho Rios and Negril, Negril tops it all – the ONLY place to go in Jamaica...

I had the opportunity to enjoy 9 total dives – 2 in Ocho, 7 in Negril.. The diving is outstanding in Negril and the dive team at Sandals did an excellent job. I was skeptical of this simply because of the opinions I’d received from ScubaBoard... My GF received her Advanced Open Water cert... It actually cost her less than if she’d taken it locally, and she got to do her cert dives in clear warm water... The dive team also put us with our own group, away from student divers – it was awesome. Among the cool things we encountered were: a spike tailed moray eel, a puffer fish we got to puff up, the largest nurse shark I’ve ever seen and believe it or not, I heard dolphins communicating underwater during my last dive (they came up to the surface after we were back on the boat)!

Sandals Negril also included waterskiing, wakeboarding, kneeboarding.. They provided lessons... I skied 2x and kneeboarded 1x. I tried to get them to pull me standing on the kneeboard but they never got the pull right. So much for being ‘certified level 1’' waterski instructors’ lol

The skiing was difficult because:

1. Unfamiliar ski with RTP
2. Unfamiliar driver
3. Unfamiliar rope/handle
4. And as smooth as that water seemed, it was rollery!

Results: Poor form to compensate...

Luckily, there were no other competitive slalom skiers and we both looked like rockstars, especially when I walked off my ski onto the beach like a pro... Everyone at the resort thought we were awesome, especially when I gave on land instruction. :)

One thing you may notice, was they had a 2012 MC Prostar 197, but was labeled as a 190. I made sure they knew they had the wrong stickers on their boat and I’d be calling MC to see if they’d send the right ones. He tried arguing that it was not wrong, then I pointed at my ballcap... "Mastercraft" baby... Yeah... LOL

http://s21.postimg.org/gf005vyrr/prostar197.jpg

http://s28.postimg.org/3p07vrqlp/showing_off_for_the_crowd_2.jpg

http://s3.postimg.org/4mbirt85v/showing_off_for_the_crowd.jpg

mikeg205
06-02-2014, 06:07 PM
sounds like a cool trip.. I am so used to my double boot that I had trouble completing a deep water start with an RTP - rear foot all over the place... stretchy rope makes it feel goofy too...

uplander
06-02-2014, 07:31 PM
cool trip

brighac
06-02-2014, 08:00 PM
We had an amazing time at sandals in Negril. We had rough water so it wasn't as fun as your pics.

soacj
06-02-2014, 09:28 PM
It's been almost 8 years (or so) ago, but we also enjoyed the dive staff at Sandals Negril. The dive sites were limited, but not bad for Jamaica diving.

Hate those vinyl ski vests! I actually brought my own vest down one year just to avoid those things while sailing and skiing/boarding. That trip was to MoBay and I ended up giving the vest to one of the dive guys who admired it one morning.

The boat drivers can't give a decent pull to save their lives--they just don't get it/don't care. Given that, and typically rough water, it's amazing how little skill it takes to make the entire beach think you're a pro!

damaged442
06-03-2014, 09:42 AM
Awesome! Always wondered what it would be like skiing in the ocean. Do you notice a difference in how the ski handles vs fresh water?

mzimme
06-03-2014, 09:52 AM
sounds like a cool trip.. I am so used to my double boot that I had trouble completing a deep water start with an RTP - rear foot all over the place... stretchy rope makes it feel goofy too...

We can just blame that on the supra... ;)

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2014, 09:56 AM

The back toe plate actually had a cinch on it!

We had an amazing time at sandals in Negril. We had rough water so it wasn't as fun as your pics.

That’s hard to believe, the water was so calm the entire time we were there – maybe it was the time of year you went...?

It's been almost 8 years (or so) ago, but we also enjoyed the dive staff at Sandals Negril. The dive sites were limited, but not bad for Jamaica diving.

They may be different now because once my GF got her AoW cert, they were taking us on 80+ ft dives, and on her deep dive (104), they did not mind me and another diver dipping to 114.

Hate those vinyl ski vests! I actually brought my own vest down one year just to avoid those things while sailing and skiing/boarding.

LOL – me too! Sticky bastages! And talk about feeling like a noob!

Awesome! Always wondered what it would be like skiing in the ocean. Do you notice a difference in how the ski handles vs fresh water?

Its not really possible to compare because it was rollery and not my ski... The rest I could deal with. I just had fun showing off for the crowd and throwing some water lol...

BTW – I skied my 1st 15’ @34 last night and got 2 @ 22...!!

Waterskibum
06-03-2014, 12:14 PM
Dang Rat! I am jealous! Sounds like a cool trip though :)

Forrest-X45
06-03-2014, 12:23 PM
Sounds like an amazing trip. Just gotta tell ya, I am digging the vest. :headbang:

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2014, 01:00 PM
Oh, it was a great trip... We had a catamaran booze cruise rented out for her daughters wedding party, I thought most of you would ooze on this:

http://s14.postimg.org/xyv2ilkzl/JLs.jpg

The scuba boat was big, stable and comfortable – and never crowded

http://s9.postimg.org/4d7aexban/scuba_boat.jpg

While I don’t promote animal harassment of animals, one of our divemasters got a puffer to puff up... I could not stop laughing during the dive...

http://s29.postimg.org/9cv4ndmjr/puffer.jpg

snobinge
06-03-2014, 03:38 PM
My wife and I honeymooned at Sandals Grande on St. Lucia in 06'. The boat drivers were terrible and the equipment was even worse. It was still fun to get out and ski in the carribean! I also talked smack to the driver and went out on a tube. I guess he could get me to fall off! ;) Surprisingly there were a lot of people utilizing the skiing service.

TxsRiverRat
06-03-2014, 05:42 PM
My wife and I honeymooned at Sandals Grande on St. Lucia in 06'. The boat drivers were terrible and the equipment was even worse. It was still fun to get out and ski in the carribean! I also talked smack to the driver and went out on a tube. I guess he could get me to fall off! ;) Surprisingly there were a lot of people utilizing the skiing service.

Nice! UVF is on my bucket list.

I did not dare wakeboard for fear of burying an edge and ending up in the catapult of death, and i dare not put myself at the mercy of the driver in a 'toob'!

Did you get to scuba in St Lucia?

mikeg205
06-03-2014, 06:03 PM
cool pics rat... when the family was walking the beach at night in Vallarta - a few of those puffers washed up on the beach...

MC205
06-03-2014, 11:47 PM

I did not dare wakeboard for fear of burying an edge and ending up in the catapult of death, and i dare not put myself at the mercy of the driver in a 'toob'!

Awesome looking trip. As for the "catapult of death", I had this happen to me for the first time this past weekend. It rang my bell really good.

snobinge
06-04-2014, 08:49 AM

No scuba...just snorkeling. Wife and I had all intentions of getting certified before the trip, but it never happened. ;( Still have never been.

DonB
06-04-2014, 09:22 AM
We were in Negril in March and also last October. Had a great time and can't wait to go back.

H2ORidr
06-04-2014, 10:15 AM
Awesome looking trip. As for the "catapult of death", I had this happen to me for the first time this past weekend. It rang my bell really good.

Ok what is the catapult of death? I've heard about bad injuries from wakeboarding but don't know anyone that has personally experienced one. I am a wakeboarder and my 11 year old is planning on getting serious this summer with her "mad skills" so I want to make sure she is safe.

TxsRiverRat
06-04-2014, 10:47 AM
Ok what is the catapult of death? I've heard about bad injuries from wakeboarding but don't know anyone that has personally experienced one. I am a wakeboarder and my 11 year old is planning on getting serious this summer with her "mad skills" so I want to make sure she is safe.

Imagine you being the rock LMAO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJz_24n7VOo

We were in Negril in March and also last October. Had a great time and can't wait to go back.

I really liked Negril – the rest of Jamaica, you can keep. I have other islands on my list though... A homecoming to Cozumel in August is next – probably my 10th or 11th trip lol

No scuba...just snorkeling. Wife and I had all intentions of getting certified before the trip, but it never happened. ;( Still have never been.

You shoudl move this up on your bucket list!

I swore I’d never wakeboard again in 1998 and I kept that promise

cool pics rat... when the family was walking the beach at night in Vallarta - a few of those puffers washed up on the beach...

Thats no goodski Mike!

TN Barefooter
06-05-2014, 11:52 AM
Acere monina, lmfao!

TN Barefooter
06-05-2014, 11:55 AM
Mark, not to jack your thread but what did you think of my daughter on tv?

Ryan
06-06-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm not a total ski snob, but the next time I go to Sandals, I'm taking my own ski handle and gloves. The rope had no take-offs and I could deal with that, but the handle felt like it was made of soap. The only way I could get up was to interlock my fingers during the first yank. Drivers held speed and lines pretty well though.

The ski was only a slight step up from a combo slalom, but for a fun set it's not worth taking my own ski.

Kinda long, but here's my trip to WhiteHouse http://youtu.be/rCz2ThUiees

TxsRiverRat
06-06-2014, 04:25 PM
Mark, not to jack your thread but what did you think of my daughter on tv?

I replied to your text, and you replied to me after that ya wannabe Cubano dork!

I'm not a total ski snob, but the next time I go to Sandals, I'm taking my own ski handle and gloves. The rope had no take-offs and I could deal with that, but the handle felt like it was made of soap. The only way I could get up was to interlock my fingers during the first yank. Drivers held speed and lines pretty well though.

The ski was only a slight step up from a combo slalom, but for a fun set it's not worth taking my own ski.

Kinda long, but here's my trip to WhiteHouse http://youtu.be/rCz2ThUiees

it did feel weird to ski wo gloves... and that yellow supersoft - was blast from the past! LOL