PDA

View Full Version : X-30 Thoughts

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 09:18 PM
I went and looked at 4 boats that were garbage yesterday, a 2005 X-star, 2012 X2, 2005 Correct Craft 210TE, and a 2004 X-star SS. I figured today is a new day and maybe my luck has turned so I researched listings for some Mastercrafts nearby and found a 2006 X-30 with 201 hours. I went to check it out and it had some wear on the side of the boat which was about a 2 foot long scratch on the left side and the trailer fender (tandem) looks to have somewhat survived a blowout. Those were the 2 negatives, everything else seemed to check out fine, it was extremely windy out today and thought it was best not to take it on a sea trial but the seller insisted that I at least hear the engine run so we backed it down the boat ramp and cranked it. It ran good at idle and all the electronics seemed to work. With all of that said, this is my first Mastercraft or better yet my first boat at all, and was wondering what the thoughts were on these X-30's? Any specific issues with these X-30's? I plan to use the boat for mainly wakeboarding and possibly wake surfing (haven't tried it yet but looks pretty fun) and to also serve as a cruiser up and down the creek. Any input is greatly appreciated guys, thanks in advance!

* Here are some pics of the boat.

2RLAKE
06-01-2014, 09:21 PM
my good friend/lake neighbor has a '06 X30 ... awesome boat ... terrific wakeboard and surfing boat.

I actually like how the big X30 decal was removed .. gives you the chance to upgrade the look

buy it ... buy it ... buy it!

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 09:46 PM
my good friend/lake neighbor has a '06 X30 ... awesome boat ... terrific wakeboard and surfing boat.

I actually like how the big X30 decal was removed .. gives you the chance to upgrade the look

buy it ... buy it ... buy it!

Haha I am hoping it passes the sea trial tomorrow (crossing my fingers the weather allows it). At first I was kinda bummed that someone removed it but I see it as an opportunity to kind of make it my own. That giant X-30 decal isn't really the best look to me.

uplander
06-01-2014, 09:46 PM
Should do everything you listed, looks pretty clean also. One thing you could do is take a terry cloth towel and wipe the boat down if the owner would let you. Use a vinegar / water mix in a spray bottle. When you do this you will notice every little flaw on the boat. Just looking over the boat does not do it. You need to wipe it down to find all the little flaws.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 09:53 PM
Should do everything you listed, looks pretty clean also. One thing you could do is take a terry cloth towel and wipe the boat down if the owner would let you. Use a vinegar / water mix in a spray bottle. When you do this you will notice every little flaw on the boat. Just looking over the boat does not do it. You need to wipe it down to find all the little flaws.

I'm sure he won't mind, the guy is actually pretty cool. A lot better than other sellers I've dealt with in the last couple days. If you look at the picture of the right side of the boat towards the back you can see a hazy spot, do you think compound would take out haze/light scratches and scuffs?

MC25
06-01-2014, 09:58 PM
Thats really nice, id jump on it if the price is right!

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 09:59 PM
Looks awesome to me. I have the older X30/230 hull and it makes a great faimily "do it all" boat.

blackhawk
06-01-2014, 10:00 PM
Be sure to ask when the last time plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter were changed. Also ask if the fuel pump has ever been replaced. I would also take a creeper and go over the entire bottom of the boat. Don't forget to check out the trailer while the boat is off. It is easy to get caught up with the boat and neglect going over the trailer.

uplander
06-01-2014, 10:00 PM
There are multiple choices for cleaning products to remove the hazing or oxidation on the side. If he is willing ask him if he has any cleaning products and try to rub it out. Your local auto parts store should carry some marine products also.

uplander
06-01-2014, 10:02 PM
I see it has a Florida plate, is this a saltwater boat

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 10:03 PM

May be but there is plenty of fresh water in Florida too. Both be and my former neighbor have fresh water boats from Florida.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:09 PM

This boat is located in central Florida, there's nothing but freshwater inland. It's the boats near the intercoastal where you have to be careful.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:12 PM
Be sure to ask when the last time plugs, wires, cap, rotor, and fuel filter were changed. Also ask if the fuel pump has ever been replaced. I would also take a creeper and go over the entire bottom of the boat. Don't forget to check out the trailer while the boat is off. It is easy to get caught up with the boat and neglect going over the trailer.

He has had the boat for a year and hasn't done much for service because the boat has been sitting inside his warehouse for most of the time he's had it. He purchased the boat intending to use it but got diagnosed with Leukemia and can't really use it which is the reason for selling. He was honest with me and says the oil in it is the oil from when he got the boat last summer, but I checked it and it looked good and was the correct level.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:15 PM
How much do you guys think a Mastercraft boat cover and a new fender for that trailer is? He has offered to reduce the price $500 to cover that cost, just wanted to know if that's realistic

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 10:21 PM
A nice sunbrella cover would be around $600-800. I don't think the oe mastercraft cover is sunbrella so you can do better in the aftermarket. I don't know what the OE cover costs. Not sure on the trailer fender. You could wait for a used one to come along at the right price. I'm sure they're not cheap new from MC.

ttu
06-01-2014, 10:21 PM
a new cover from skiboatcovers.com will run around $800.00. the fender can be repaired thru a good fiberglass guy! not a bad looking x30 and the 06 tower is great!

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 10:24 PM
I just looked it up and I paid $450 shipped for a sunbrella cover for my 230 made by Westland.. The ones with the holes for the tower legs are a little more expensive. You might find one for $550-600ish for the X-30 with tower leg holes.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:30 PM
Yeah, I've been told by a buddy who has a X14V to get an aftermarket one, says the one he got for his was better than the factory MC one. As far as the fender goes, I think I might try to have a fiberglass guy repair and paint it, I would think I could get it done for $500-$700.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:32 PM
What about carpet? Should I install the snap-in carpet (I wonder how difficult that is getting the tabs installed in the floor) or should I just get one that doesn't snap-in?

blackhawk
06-01-2014, 10:33 PM
I would think a cover by itself would run at least $500. No idea on the fender.

If you don't know the maintenance history, you will probably want to get all the general wear items up to snuff. Just the parts for doing that will run you $350. Is the scratch on the side going to require gelcoat work or would it be able to be buffed out?

If you are new to boating, I would highly suggest taking a friend that has been around boats and especially inboards. The owner is probably a great guy, but trust no one. I just sold my old boat and the new buyer was pretty thorough with his questions and I respected that. It is a big purchase so be cautious.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 10:46 PM
I would think a cover by itself would run at least $500. No idea on the fender.

If you don't know the maintenance history, you will probably want to get all the general wear items up to snuff. Just the parts for doing that will run you $350. Is the scratch on the side going to require gelcoat work or would it be able to be buffed out?

If you are new to boating, I would highly suggest taking a friend that has been around boats and especially inboards. The owner is probably a great guy, but trust no one. I just sold my old boat and the new buyer was pretty thorough with his questions and I respected that. It is a big purchase so be cautious.

Yeah, I am definitely going to bring my friend Robin. He has owned MC's since 1988 and he is extremely meticulous about his vehicles and boats. I brought him with me yesterday to look at 4 boats and he picked them all apart to the point where one of them actually texted me right after we left and said "your buddy cost you a nice boat because he' s a know it all". Needless to say he solidified my decision to not purchase the boat.
As far as tuning the boat up, I am definitely going to go through it and upgrade the prop and rudder, and also fluid changes and engine tune up.
The scratch on the side is pretty deep, I'm not familiar with gel coat but the scratch depth is fairly deep. If it was a car it would need to be repainted but I don't know if the gel coat is more forgiving.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 11:03 PM
"your buddy cost you a nice boat because he' s a know it all".

If the salesman is saying that your boy is doing it right. Keep bringing him.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 11:09 PM
If the salesman is saying that your boy is doing it right. Keep bringing him.

Honestly, I probably would have bought that first boat if I didn't bring him but I'm glad I did. I had no idea new skins were $4,500.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 11:14 PM
Often you can fill scratches with clear gelcoat. If you throw water on it and the color of the scratch is the color of the gel then it's not all the way through. You can fill it with clear, sand it, and polish it out until it's all but completely gone. If it's through the gel then it can still be filled in the same manner but you have to get a color matched gel.

Legacyauto11
06-02-2014, 12:01 AM
how about the guy had the boat on Ebay and bid on it with one of his own accounts to try to run the price higher...

MC25
06-02-2014, 12:07 AM
buddy just purchased a new fender for his single axle for $550

Eagle Lake Rebel
06-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Had a '06 X30 & currently own a '07 30. Needless to say I really like these boats. I like the size & does a good in chop. Reprop the MCX down & you will have about a 39 - 40 mph top end. Took a old teak swim platform an cut it down for a much better surf wake

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ZachDaddy
06-03-2014, 02:53 PM
The OEM cover is made by Surlast and is a glen raven/sunbrella material. The dealer can call Surlast and order a cover but it will run you around 850. You can watch eBay for a cover. I bought a cover new for my x15 for a song.
As for the fender I agree with the others and have a fiberglass person repair the one you have.
As for the hull scratch, it to can be wet sanded and compounded and polished to new.