PDA

View Full Version : Advise on these two MC boats

Scent of a mule
05-31-2014, 08:19 AM
Looking for a Mastercraft in mid 30's. I live in central Florida and have found two that I was hoping to get some feedback on. I also went to look at a 2008 Tige 22VE that is in clean, 235 hours, original owner. Could get it for $32,000. Thanks for any input.

2004 Mastercraft X-Star 450 hrs $38,000
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/boa/4428242661.html

2007 MasterCraft X-2 $37,000 1100 hrs new upholstery
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2007-Mastercraft-X-2-102033848

Jeff d
05-31-2014, 08:30 AM
Well I didn't do a very detailed comparison of the features and one might way outshine the other in person but, the X-star's value has been depreciated more than the X2 being that it's 3 years older (i.e. Relative to the original price it's a better deal) has less than 1/2 the hours and has the bigger engine. It will offer a pro quality wakeboard wake but won't perform as well as the X2 hull for surfing and rough water handling. Personally, between those two I'd be looking hardest at the X-star but I'm a river wakeboarder so surfing and rough water handling are of little importance to me.

The Tige is appealing too though. I'm not too familiar with their offerings or that particular model but people on WakeWorld seem to love Tige in general.

pmikler
05-31-2014, 08:33 AM
Galvanized trailer and Clearwater probably equals salt water use. And sure you can get a lot more hours out of that boat but to spend that much on an 1100 hour boat would give me pause in the event life forced me to sell. Based on thi pics and info id go with the Star. Where do you boat? I am on the Saint Johns River in Sanford.

JohnE
05-31-2014, 08:52 AM
Do you strictly wakeboard? Because there is a big difference between and X2 and Star. X2 is a great all around boat. XStar is lousy at everything but wakeboarding.

Scent of a mule
05-31-2014, 09:42 AM
Thanks! This will be my first wake boat. Had run abouts growing up but want to get the kids out on the lakes to learn to Wakeboard but also want a boat for knee boarding, tubing etc. I was very weary of the 1100 hours as well and sounds like the X-star is not a good all around boat for other water sports besides wakeboarding. Trying to stay in mid to low 30's. if I go to low 40's choices are endless but not sure I want to go there. The Tige is looking good right now.

mcLove
05-31-2014, 10:21 AM
Have you considered getting a boat further away and going to pick it up or have it shipped to you?

Scent of a mule
05-31-2014, 10:26 AM
I would but with my job and kids flying to look at a boat is not realistic for me. Would anyone buy a boat sight unseen other than sending in an independent inspector and seeing pictures? I see tons of boats out of state that I like but not seeing it? I have bought cars unseen off the internet....

mcLove
05-31-2014, 10:30 AM
btw found this x10 with 101 hours for 32,200 in Altamonte Springs
http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2005-Mastercraft-X-10-617036
better all around boat imo

Scent of a mule
05-31-2014, 11:30 AM
Boat Sold. Missed it by 1 hour. Would have been the perfect boat for us. Was bummed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

46Chief
05-31-2014, 01:19 PM
Check out sammy d's 209 it's a perfect starter boat

pmikler
05-31-2014, 01:40 PM
Thanks! This will be my first wake boat. Had run abouts growing up but want to get the kids out on the lakes to learn to Wakeboard but also want a boat for knee boarding, tubing etc. I was very weary of the 1100 hours as well and sounds like the X-star is not a good all around boat for other water sports besides wakeboarding. Trying to stay in mid to low 30's. if I go to low 40's choices are endless but not sure I want to go there. The Tige is looking good right now.

Hold on there. If what you are doing is wake boarding, knee boarding, and tubing the wake will be great/fine. What its not good for is Skiing- (a sport something I now nothing about) In short don't count out a star

Jeff d
05-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Also, the X-Star is widely know for it's pro quality tubing wake. Be sure to opt for the wake plate with the optional "tubing" setting. The easiest way to tell if it has this is to look at the MasterCraft decal on the transom. If it says "World Class Tubing Boats" then it has it. Of course Perfect Pass Tubing Edition is a must if you're going to get serious. Don't cheap out on the Wakeboard Edition or the 3-Event PP. It's cheaper to just get the Tubing Edition now rather than having to buy the system twice.

pmikler
05-31-2014, 01:59 PM
Also, the X-Star is widely know for it's pro quality tubing wake. Be sure to opt for the wake plate with the optional "tubing" setting. The easiest way to tell if it has this is to look at the MasterCraft decal on the transom. If it says "World Class Tubing Boats" then it has it. Of course Perfect Pass Tubing Edition is a must if you're going to get serious. Don't cheap out on the Wakeboard Edition or the 3-Event PP. It's cheaper to just get the Tubing Edition now rather than having to buy the system twice.

hahahahaha

Scent of a mule
05-31-2014, 03:41 PM
That's why I am having a hard time finding a boat. The Tubing Edition is very elusive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk