PDA

View Full Version : hours vs value on my x-10

cwarndahl
05-30-2014, 12:57 PM
Hey all
well this nxt thing gave me a case of new boat fever. but looking at the reality wanted to get some opinions. they are confident that my 01 x-10 with 775 hours on it is still worth 22k to 25k. that kinda shocked me. but i payed it off this year so i am free and clear. i have taken pretty good care of it and just put in new interior. and other then some of the usual matinance of older boat. need to glue carpet every year, this winter looks like a couple of gauges, you know that kind of thing its low matinance boat i think partially due to MCOCD. so its still a great boat for me, i would like a better surf wake ect. but here is what i was looking to discuss. it seems to me to repower the boat when needed is 2500 for the engine. and the boat mechanic want 3k for install but i think i can do it with some buddies help. but at what point do i start loosing value to hours. i know if i was looking i would hold out for a boat with less hours. i see the on only in boards and at the dealer all the time. i just looked at 2010 x-25 for 60k with 60 hours on it. then on either consideration i have seen allot of you with 1000 to 2500 hours on your boats what do you think the average life span of the 5.7 indmar is? and what about the v-drive i have seen very little people talk about it?

JohnE
05-30-2014, 02:32 PM
That isn't a lot of hours, it's considered average. 60 per year. Average lifespan totally depends on what maintenance was performed through it's life. Along with the use.

mikeg205
05-30-2014, 02:37 PM
eventually you will have to pay the piper - there's no escaping it. That being said an engine should easily make it to 2000-2500 without any trouble. Madcity has over 2K on his Ford and some others have 3k on their GM's.

Why are you thinking repower? are you having issues?

Proper maintenance not running full throttle most of the time alone with few full throttle hole shots will provide longer life.

Not having any over heats is also essential....

People IMO get a bit nervous when you hit the 1000 hour mark IMO

willyt
05-30-2014, 02:50 PM
whoa you saw a 2010 x25 for 60? where?

cwarndahl
05-30-2014, 02:59 PM
Boat town they have it listed for 69900 when I went to see if they got there nxt yet we were talking and he casually said they could probobly let it go for 60

cwarndahl
05-30-2014, 03:00 PM
John I normally do about 150 hours per season, I'm looking good becuase of previous owners lack of boat time lol.

cwarndahl
05-30-2014, 03:04 PM
Mike: no issues at all with my motor. Just thinking with all the hype behind nxt and being told what my boat is worth it kinda gave me new boat fever. On the other hand I just paid mine off. So a couple of seasons with no boat payment sounds nice. But if that means at 1100 hours my boat value goes to say 12 to 15k then a newer boat may be worth it. Also the family is kinda likening surfing more and more and as the kid gets better my wave does not lol.

cwarndahl
05-30-2014, 03:05 PM
Oh and willy u can see why I'm thinking well maybe? If I could get that x25 that's a huge upgrade from my 01 x-10 lol

Jeff d
05-30-2014, 05:19 PM
I can with 100% certainty tell you that depreciation per hour on your current 13-14 year old boat will be a very small fraction of what that same hour would cost you on a brand new boat. Even if you do go over the 1,000 hour mark your current boat is pretty much fully depreciated at this point and it will probably drop in value by less than the inflation rate each year (Assuming you keep it in good, resalable shape).

BrianM
05-30-2014, 05:43 PM
I can with 100% certainty tell you that depreciation per hour on your current 13-14 year old boat will be a very small fraction of what that same hour would cost you on a brand new boat. Even if you do go over the 1,000 hour mark your current boat is pretty much fully depreciated at this point and it will probably drop in value by less than the inflation rate each year (Assuming you keep it in good, resalable shape).

This.

lashburn1
05-30-2014, 05:54 PM

lashburn1
05-30-2014, 06:25 PM
..... Whoops wrong page

Thrall
05-30-2014, 06:50 PM
I'd get a 60 hr X25 for $60k before I bought a new nxt.
The used boat already took the big depreciation hit where the new one will lose $10k first time you dip it in the water. Plus it's a much more desire able boat.

cwarndahl
05-31-2014, 01:09 AM
Btw the x25 has 260 sorry typo. Thanks jeff I think that's really what I'm looking for. I guess the fear is at what I think a pretty good worth on my boat of 25k. If I loose.10k hitting the 1000 hour mark that's more than 2 years of payments. I like my boat just fine but I feel I am on the upper end of value right now and would hate to loose that. But that being said it's real nice to be paid off with a mastercraft, even though it's a older boat it's still has then mc quality and does everything I want it to do. Just hoping you guys would talk me out of this new boat fever. Unknown allot
Of guys here have older boats then I do and are still loving them as much as the day they bought them.
Thrall thanks for swing my point. I'm actually afraid to talk to the dealer I need to do my second oil change of the season and I'm afraid I may ask what the payment would be and go is that all to have an x-25.