PDA

View Full Version : Volt meter

bill-d-c
05-29-2014, 07:32 PM
I've got a 1998 MariStar and I believe the volt meter is bad. Where do you guys go for gauges that match factory? I looked on google and could only find complete sets (for newer boats) and speedometers. Thanks
Bill

MLA
05-29-2014, 07:41 PM
You can easily test it with a digital volt meter. I see a handful of low reading gauges that are accurate, but due to poor or lose connections somewhere along the way, leading to the low reading.

thatsmrmastercraft
05-29-2014, 08:21 PM
These gauges do fail, but more likely there is some corrosion somewhere. If it is bad, Great Lakes Skipper has an eBay store, or just search on eBay.

bill-d-c
05-29-2014, 09:18 PM
The volt meter is pegged so using a multi-meter I checked the voltage at the battery with the engine running, it shows 13.3 volts. I just assumed the meter was faulty however it did work fine last summer. Today was the first day we've had the boat out this year, that's when I noticed it. Also, how on earth are these gauges changed out? Does the dash panel come out in one piece, with gauges intact? From underneath, I just don't see a way.
Bill

mcjimmy33
05-30-2014, 10:03 AM
how do you check if its actually working propely? Mine has been verry erratic this year, sometimes reads in the 13-14 range, someitmes gets stuck above the 18 mark to where like 24 would be if it read that high. Other times it sits at like 8v. Nothing consistent so I dont trust the reading. Even when I shut my battery switch off it sometimes does not drive to 0 like my other gages.

MLA
05-30-2014, 10:20 AM
Take a voltage reading on the B+ and B- terminals on the back. It should match the gauge reading and the reading at the battery. Now, you do need to take into account a little voltage drop at the helm. A couple tenths of a volt is ok, but .5V or more, id be backtracking till i found the drop.

If the gauge reading and the meter reading right at the back of the gauge to not match, the gauge is the issue.

If the meter and gauge agree and the voltage is low as compared to the reading at the battery, then trace both the helm B+ and B- cable back to their sources until the issue is found. I would do a voltage drop on both those circuits, which would tell you which one is suspect. Just remember, its important to not overlook the ground. It takes both to make a complete circuit.

bill-d-c
05-30-2014, 10:46 AM
How on earth do you even gain access to the gauges? It's an absolute cluster up there. I can barely touch them with my fingers let alone put any kind of meter on them.
Bill

Jeff d
05-30-2014, 11:28 AM
Here's what I posted in another thread a while back:
Lie under the dash looking up and get comfortable. You're about to contort your arms and work by feel for about 5-10 minutes while being very uncomfortable. Reach up into the cavity behind the gauges and feel around. You should be able to locate 6 wing nuts that are threaded onto studs on the back of the gauge panel. 2 right above each other right in the middle (One towards the top and one towards the bottom. Between the speedo and tach), 2 near the left edge and 2 on the right edge. You have to remove them all. Each will have a very tiny lock washer and a larger fender washer behind the wing nut. Try to grab them when you remove the nut but if things fall down in there you can retrieve them after the gauge panel is removed. After you have all 6 wing nuts removed you should be able to pull the gauge panel off with all of the gauges on it.

Alternatively you can first remove the whole vinyl coated fiberglass dash by removing those wing nuts but I found that that's much more of a pain vs. just reaching for the wing nuts if all you need to access is the gauges themselves.

Your 1998 dash looks about the same as my 2000 so I think those instructions will apply.

Also, it seems like every pre-2000 MariStar I've seen has Teleflex Sahara gauges just with MasterCraft branding on the tach and speedo.

Is this what they look like:
http://newcontent.westmarine.com/content/images/catalog/large/5343579.jpg

If so they can be had from many sources for around $30 shipped. Teleflex part # 59708P would be what you'd need.

http://www.boatersland.com/images/img/tel-59708p.jpg

bill-d-c
05-30-2014, 02:07 PM
Mine has the white bezel, other than that they look the same. Thanks, I will check into it. I'm convinced it's a faulty gauge. With the battery disconnected, it reads 14 volts. Hook up the battery and turn the key to the on position and the gauge pegs. That's about all it can be...right?
Bill

Jeff d
05-30-2014, 02:13 PM
Yeah, if it says 14 volts when the battery is disconnected then it has to be a faulty gauge. If you can't find a matching one Teleflex might offer a mail in repair service. I know Faria offers that.

bill-d-c
05-30-2014, 02:18 PM
OK, thanks Jeff, I'll look into that. First thing is to get the old one out, that doesn't sound like it will be a day at the beach.

Jeff d
05-30-2014, 02:26 PM
Also, not sure about the Teleflex gauges but on the Medallion gauges that they started using in 2000 the bezels just pop off and can be snapped onto another gauge. You might be able to get a Sahara gauge and swap the bezel with your original gauge so it matches. You'll be able to tell of this is possible once you get the gauge out.