PDA

View Full Version : Anyone towing with a Jeep JKU?

BrooksfamX2
05-29-2014, 11:33 AM
I have an 2006 F150 and a 2005 Jeep Wrangler TJ. We tow the TJ behind the motorhome also. I use the F150 to tow the boat about twice a year. 9/10 times we tow the boat with the MH.

I am thinking about getting a JKU to replace both so I still have a rig to tow behind the MH and pull the boat a couple of times a year. (about 100 miles round trip) The Issue is the JKU is rated for 3500lbs and the X2 is about 5000.

Whats the JKU's weak link for towing? I have read its the OEM hitch and maybe cooling.

Anyone been towing with a JKU???

mzimme
05-29-2014, 11:45 AM
They can do it, it's just not safe. If you're just taking it a mile to the launch from your campsite and back it's probably fine, but if you're driving your family 10-20 miles or more to the lake, I'd just stick with the f150.

Thrall
05-29-2014, 11:49 AM
I've towed a loaded enclosed 8' wide trailer with one. Probably only about 3500 lbs though.
It towed fine for a little V6 at high altitude. The only issue was tongue weight. The Jeep won't take much tongue weight and a X2 on a tandem trailer would have too much tongue weight for sure without doing some rear suspension work.
My X2 will squat a F150 pretty good when hooked up.
Not sure what the hitch rating was on the Jeep.
IMO the X2 tows a lot heavier than it actually is. Don't know why but it just seems to pull like it weighs a lot more than it actually does. Also total load full of fuel, batteries, tower/speakers, trailer, extras I think is closer to 6k for a X2.

soacj
05-29-2014, 12:03 PM
Can't say I disagree with what's already been stated, but if you're looking for some first hand experience might pm this guy:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=970819#post970819

And his followup post:

http://www.mastercraft.com/teamtalk/showthread.php?p=972093#post972093

SKIBUMM
05-29-2014, 12:18 PM
I have had a YJ and a TJ both with the straight 6 and they were great motors. I pulled my boat with them all the time. Keep in mind that even with them I would be the only one that would drive as they are too short of a wheelbase to be very stable. When it was time to look at a new vehicle I gave the JK a good look and even hooked my boat up to one an towed and the thing is a pig for power. Just a short trip I felt worked the motor tooo hard for my comfort. I went with a Toyota FJ simply due to the difference in power even though I liked the Jeep better looks wise. IF they put in the eco diesel in the JK as rumored then I will have to do some thinking even though I love my FJ.

soacj
05-29-2014, 12:33 PM
I have had a YJ and a TJ both with the straight 6 and they were great motors. I pulled my boat with them all the time. Keep in mind that even with them I would be the only one that would drive as they are too short of a wheelbase to be very stable. When it was time to look at a new vehicle I gave the JK a good look and even hooked my boat up to one an towed and the thing is a pig for power. Just a short trip I felt worked the motor tooo hard for my comfort. I went with a Toyota FJ simply due to the difference in power even though I liked the Jeep better looks wise. IF they put in the eco diesel in the JK as rumored then I will have to do some thinking even though I love my FJ.

It's all about gearing w/ the 4.0L I6...We had an XJ with 3.07 gears which was a total dog pulling a Nautique.

As for the JK's, I'm assuming the OP is referring to the current 3.6L Pentastar V6 (not the 3.8 V6 used up to '11?)

BrooksfamX2
05-29-2014, 06:42 PM
Ya, I'm coming to the conclusion that no matter how bad I want a JKU, its just not going to work as a tow vehicle. The TJ is a great toad (behind motorhome) and the F150 can do the boat towing job as is..........

bsloop
05-30-2014, 11:44 PM
I think you made the right choice.

Jeep is too short of wheel base and lightly sprung to safely handle a load that far out of its rating for any distance.

drschemel
05-31-2014, 12:11 AM
I have used my 2008 JKU to pull the boat about 20 miles through town to Ski and Sport for service but I think I would be really nervous going highway speeds - even with tandem axles and brakes. The 3500 pound limit has to due with the strength of the stock hitch. It just bolts to the cross member and sort of hangs down. In the event of a catastrophic accident, it wouldn't hold up to a heavier load and your X-star might just come through the back of your Jeep.

Tristar Racing
05-31-2014, 01:19 AM
The irony is the same exact vehicle with the same exact hitch is rated to over 4500lbs in Europe for the export only diesel, and around 4400 lbs for the 3.6 v-6. Its a liability issue mostly for Jeep. Open air vehicle + towing + USA = lawsuits.

Its a shame, because I'd love to do a jku to tow my x1. It scaled a bit over 4500 lbs, but unfortunately we don't get the euro rating.