PDA

View Full Version : Lifting the new Prostar

Timber
05-28-2014, 11:51 PM
Hi,
I'm new with MC this summer. I read in the owner's manual the recommendation to lifting the boat. I want to use a spreader bar with 2 slings I the stern eyes and a strap under the bow. My question is: can I leave the boat suspended as is for a long time (couple of weeks)? The motor load could add an extra stress on the hull and create damages?

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Tapatalk

Double D
05-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Not sue the real answer, but when my dealer pulled my 205 off the trailer so I could redo it, they stored it on blocks while it was still hanging.

Good Luck!!

DonB
05-28-2014, 11:58 PM
Personally I wouldn't. I would lower it down on some blocks to take the weight off of the stress points. Others may say different.

Timber
05-29-2014, 12:17 AM
It's not for a season It's between the weekends. With my own boat lift system. It's something like that:
http://www.boatliftwarehouse.com/boat_lifts/davits/boat-davits-pair-3500.php

MC25
05-29-2014, 02:09 AM
Have you hung your prior boats with a davit system?

Timber
05-29-2014, 06:31 AM
No it's an "home made" design

CantRepeat
05-29-2014, 07:39 AM
I'm pretty sure there is a sticker on most MCs that say lifting eyes are NOT designed for long term storage. What they mean by long term storage is anyone's guess. Personally, I would not do it for storage of any length of time.

JohnE
05-29-2014, 07:46 AM
I don't think I'd be comfortable leaving my boat like this for a few weeks.

east tx skier
05-29-2014, 09:55 AM
Unless something has changed, you cannot hang a MC like that for long term storage.

shepherd
05-29-2014, 02:51 PM
I've done it, back before this forum made me wiser. I hung my 1990 Prostar 190 from two points on the stern and the lifting eye on the bow for extended periods of time (weeks/months over a period of 4 years). It really didn't seem to cause any visual harm to the boat. But, I noticed that the boat seemed to throw out a bit more spray than other similar Prostars when I eventually worked my way into shorter line lengths. That left me thinking that maybe the hull did get warped a little over time from hanging like that. Other than that, the boat seemed fine and I never would have noticed anything if I didn't start skiing into 28 off... That said, I wouldn't hang my boat like that again.

MC25
05-29-2014, 03:25 PM
No it's an "home made" design

Then no. Lol that sounds like a horrible idea