PDA

View Full Version : Crack in the hull

tbmlxstar
05-28-2014, 09:36 PM
I shared this picture in a different post but I now would like some feedback on how bad this may be. The port side of the bow was hit by the brush guard of a pick up truck and there is a 12" crack in the hull. I understand it can be repaired but is the integrity of the boat now compromised? It will be covered by the other guy's insurance but should I push for more than just a repair? Should it be totaled? We ride on a lake is pretty rough until we get to the cove so we do hit a lot of waves on the way. I am going to the shop tomorrow for an estimate.

atihanyi
05-28-2014, 09:47 PM
that is a fairly simple repair . I manage a large body shop and repair/restore boats for fun and that doesn't look too complicated .As a former insurance adjuster, I hate to tell you this , but it is not up to you wether the boat is totaled or not . It is simple economics . Repair equals x replace equals y which is more cost effective ? I would recommend finding a qualified repair center and having them look at/deal with the adjuster . Most insurance companies use automotive appraisers for boat claims and they haven't a clue what they are looking at . Most adjuster will just ghost write or copy the shops estimate . Structurally your boat should be fine after the repair has been completed as long as the shop is qualified to do boat repairs .

ttu
05-28-2014, 09:52 PM
that is a fairly simple repair . I manage a large body shop and repair/restore boats for fun and that doesn't look too complicated .As a former insurance adjuster, I hate to tell you this , but it is not up to you wether the boat is totaled or not . It is simple economics . Repair equals x replace equals y which is more cost effective ? I would recommend finding a qualified repair center and having them look at/deal with the adjuster . Most insurance companies use automotive appraisers for boat claims and they haven't a clue what they are looking at . Most adjuster will just ghost write or copy the shops estimate . Structurally your boat should be fine after the repair has been completed as long as the shop is qualified to do boat repairs .

very good advice! as a former adjuster and now agent of 20 years, most adjusters don't know anything when it comes to boat and fiberglass repairs. heck they don't know mechanical damage either from prop strikes . I always trusted the estimates of good local boat dealers and paid them accordingly.

as far as the boat being structural after the repairs, yes if done right you will never notice!