PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 2005 MC X-star

Legacyauto11
05-28-2014, 06:16 PM
Hey guys, I'm looking into purchasing my first MC (or first wakeboard boat in general) and was looking for some guidance possibly. First off, the boat I'm looking at is a 05' X-star with 390 Hours, upgraded stereo, MC cover, MC tandem trailer with upgraded W&T, pickle fork Bimini (unsure of what the difference between that and OEM Bimini is), as well as the factory upgrades like cleats, PP, Board Racks, etc. the guy is asking $41,995. Secondly, how does the X-star ride compared to other boats MC makes? I'm a beginner wake boarder and beginner boater for that matter.

clrussell
05-28-2014, 06:25 PM
I actually just made this exact purchase although I had an older prostar first. I love my x star!! Some people say the ride isn't the best and the handling sucks. However I can't really see that. Mine rides great and I think it drives pretty darn good.

I paid about the same as what that guy is asking for his. If you've never been in an x star you'll have to get used to the low bow, or you'll have everyone in the bow wet.

I wanted an x2 I thought, I had enough garage for an x star so that's what I ended up with. I'm completely happy with mine.

Where you located and post some pics!

Legacyauto11
05-28-2014, 08:14 PM
I'm from Jacksonville, FL. Northeast tip of Florida. I started looking at X2's and actually found a 2012 leftover demo that was a saltwater series. The guy offered it to me for $50k plus taxes and fees which seemed like an excellent deal until he told me it did not come with a trailer. The dealer priced me a MC tandem axle trailer for $8,000 and they wouldn't have it for 3-6 weeks so I passed on that one. It seemed like a great deal but this is my first towboat and I didn't really want to spend more than 25-30K but I see that I have to step up a little more to get an X-star so that's what I'm doing. I'm going to seatrial the boat Saturday morning, any quirks that you found with yours that I should look for? I attempted to post pics but I am new to the forum and I'm not sure that I can yet. Thanks for the reply!

clrussell
05-29-2014, 08:07 AM
Looks great in the pictures! Just check all the stitching seams in the interior and do the normal check over. Only problem I've had out of mine was the transom remote. It would lock the radio from being able to change volume anywhere so I unplugged it and now everything works.

gsxrjtt
05-29-2014, 08:44 AM
The X2 is a good boat.. and That one you were looking at is brand new.. You can purchase a 2014 Boat mate trailer for 4500$.. The Xstar Is clean He I have seen a bunch of pics and if i remember He has put a bunch of new parts on it.. But Also he had replaced a bunch of stuff due to corrosion shocks,hinges.. and im suspecting why the new trailer..So I would def take a look at it closely.. That guy has had his boat up for 42K for 3-4 months now he is pretty proud of the price... so would you rather have a 2005 boat for 40k or a 2012 with warranty for around 55k ... Both look like great boats go with your gut

willyt
05-29-2014, 09:23 AM
from a first inboard perspective an X2 is going to suit you much better... the xstar was really designed for one thing and one thing only, to throw a massive, pro-size wake and look really good on the water. The X2 is more nimble, easier to weigh, easier to trailer, don't have as much risk of taking water over the bow (although this can happen when your sleeping in the bow on mattscraft's boat...). The star is a great boat, but its alotta boat for a first boat.

clrussell
05-29-2014, 12:19 PM
The X2 is a good boat.. and That one you were looking at is brand new.. You can purchase a 2014 Boat mate trailer for 4500$.. The Xstar Is clean He I have seen a bunch of pics and if i remember He has put a bunch of new parts on it.. But Also he had replaced a bunch of stuff due to corrosion shocks,hinges.. and im suspecting why the new trailer..So I would def take a look at it closely.. That guy has had his boat up for 42K for 3-4 months now he is pretty proud of the price... so would you rather have a 2005 boat for 40k or a 2012 with warranty for around 55k ... Both look like great boats go with your gut

from a first inboard perspective an X2 is going to suit you much better... the xstar was really designed for one thing and one thing only, to throw a massive, pro-size wake and look really good on the water. The X2 is more nimble, easier to weigh, easier to trailer, don't have as much risk of taking water over the bow (although this can happen when your sleeping in the bow on mattscraft's boat...). The star is a great boat, but its alotta boat for a first boat.

Perfectly stated from both of you

StrmChzr
05-29-2014, 02:53 PM
I'd do it! Oh wait, I already did....... Love my '05 X-Star more than life itself..

http://i521.photobucket.com/albums/w333/strmchzr/image-2404.jpg (http://s521.photobucket.com/user/strmchzr/media/image-2404.jpg.html)

ipm983
05-29-2014, 04:03 PM
Me too!!!. can't get enough of my 05 X star!!!!

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

pmikler
05-29-2014, 04:48 PM
I dont know where you plan on boating but if your in Jacksonville I am sure you are going to drop in the Saint Johns and up there its pretty salty. I would really reconsider that saltwater series again if you aren't going to specifically take it to private lakes. Salt KILLS these boat and the resale of these boats as well.

Legacyauto11
05-29-2014, 09:22 PM
I think price is my biggest downfall, I have negotiated to 39k and can afford that comfortably. If I stretch for the X2 (which I pondered for 3 weeks) I'll have a much greater payment unless I extend the term to 10 years, which I don't want to do after looking at the amount of interest paid over that time (I think it was around 12-14k) and that was kind of the deal breaker. As far as getting a non-MC trailer I have heard bad things about trailers not designed for the MC hull, I don't know if that holds water but the guy at another MC dealer confirmed that bit he may have just been trying to sell me a trailer. I'm a beginner but feel like I will have mad skills soon and I don't want to have regrets about not going for the star. Jacksonville is weird, it's dominated by the intercostal and saint johns but I am planning on using it in black creek, silver glen springs, doctors lake, etc. the water is still brackish but I plan to meticulously maintain the boat and definitely flush it and hose it down every time. I'm going to be storing at my warehouse indoors so hopefully that will help keep it in good shape. I appreciate all the advice guys, I'm going to check it out Saturday. I'll let you guys know what comes from it.

cobalt650
05-29-2014, 10:12 PM
Does the tower fold close to windshield height?

clrussell
05-29-2014, 10:19 PM
Does the tower fold close to windshield height?

The 05 x star tower folds to barely fit in an 8' garage door.

Legacyauto11
05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
It won't fit in my garage at home, I have to store it at a warehouse at work, luckily it's big enough.

willyt
05-29-2014, 11:03 PM
brackish water will destroy a non-SS boat...

Legacyauto11
05-29-2014, 11:07 PM
I'm not completely sold on that, my buddy has a 08' X-14V that he runs in brackish water but keeps the boat very well kept and flushes it thoroughly after each use and you would think the boat was brand new. I'm sure if you run it in brackish water and don't flush it, hose all the components and trailer off I'm sure things can get ugly with the quickness.

MC25
05-29-2014, 11:15 PM
I'm a beginner but feel like I will have mad skills soon and I don't want to have regrets about not going for the star. .

wrong mentality, boats dont make anyone better. lol

Legacyauto11
05-29-2014, 11:19 PM
Yeah, It sure sounded good at the time lol I'm sure it will be a different story out on the water.

Jeff d
05-30-2014, 12:36 AM
I'd buy someone else's non-SS salt water boat if I was going to use it in salt/brackish water. The inboard market demands substantial compensation on the purchase price if a boat has been used in salt water (even brackish water). If you buy a fresh water only boat at "market value" then you're going to take that hit on resale. If you buy someone else's well maintained salt water boat then they take that hit for you.

Btw the engine is easy enough to flush. That's generally not the problem with non-saltwater series, salt water boats, it's everything else. My boat (non Saltwater Series) is loaded with non-stainless and even non-painted hardware. All of the gas springs on the seats and hatches are non-ss and will corrode to the point of being unusable in a few seasons. None of the brake components on my trailer are ss nor is the frame galvanized. The trailer isn't painted on the inside and they will often just rust out from the inside out in a few years and become a total loss. Getting all of that stuff salt free every time you use the boat and preventing corrosion is where you're going to have a problem.

In short I'd get the SS or buy someone else's saltwater boat.

snork
05-30-2014, 08:24 AM
wrong mentality, boats dont make anyone better. lol

I have to disagree Aric, After riding behind several wakeboats I find the XStar has a superior wake to others when weighted properly, to me theres only one other wake comparable, G23 and when its weighted correct my knees could make it through a few sets :D

Nordicron
05-30-2014, 10:02 AM
I like the Xstar wake and most people I have ridden with much prefer the star wake over the x2 as well. Not saying x2 is bad just that it's not nearly as fun as a star wake. Get a star! Also don't run a non SS in salt please! Keep shopping for a salt boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jerseydave
05-31-2014, 08:27 AM
$39K for a clean '05 X-star......sounds like a deal to me!

Some things you may encounter:

Rudder update....if it's got the smaller stock rudder get the updated one for better handling.
Fuel pump......they do go bad without warning. Ask if it's ever been replaced before.
Vinyl.....cracking near the stitching
Trailer brake calipers......certain years had issues with sticking calipers....mine did.

Launch at a ramp with the freshest water (low salt content)
Rinse the trailer A LOT after every launch. You will eventually need a galvanized trailer.
Install a flush kit on you engine. Makes it way easier to flush after each use.

Love my '05 X-star! 112132

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 08:22 PM
So, I ended up going on a day-long trip across the state of Florida in search of a MC. First I stopped and looked at the 05' X-star in Lake Worth and it ended up being trash. New skins, Ballast gauges did not work (claims they worked before but just stopped working last week), the boat was currently being stored at a wakeboarding school (who knows how long it has been sitting in the sun), the bilge pump kept pumping water out for 5 minutes and then it would stop for 5 minutes and then go again which made me nervous thinking there could be water coming in somewhere and the owner couldn't explain and kept changing the subject. Next, we drove the boat and the boat actually did run great until you when to steer there was a clicking noise when you turned either way and it was very stiff when turning to the left (rudder issue?) and then for some reason the top of the steering wheel was warped. Lastly, I asked him if we could take the boat out of the water and put it on the trailer to check the steering issue and observe the rudder, his trailer was at his house which he explained was 10 min. up the road but refused to go get it unless we were "serious" buyers, so I showed him the cashier's check that I had brought in his name plus the cash I had brought in case of negotiation and he still refused to go get the trailer unless I agreed to purchase the boat for the 39K we had agreed to over the phone. I took that as a sign and left.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 08:31 PM
Good move. Patience Daniel son (in my best Mr. Miyagi voice).

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 08:42 PM
After checking out that X-star I figured that I should probably go check out that 2012 X2 SS that I mentioned in my earlier post. I hopped on 75 over to Naples 2 hours to check it out, it was a "new" 2012 that had not been registered and considered new. So, I pull up to this guys lot, Marina Mikes, and walk up to a "new" Mastercraft sitting on center blocks along with probably 40 other center console's sitting on center blocks (apparently he thinks this is appealing, even though this place is not located on the water?). Out comes Marina Mike (more like boat yard Mike) to show me the boat. First we walk up to this "new" boat that has the factory boat cover which is faded from gray to almost white and has a giant rip from water sitting in the center of the boat for a looong period of time. We remove the cover and discover that the yellow/white interior on this "new" boat is already sun damaged almost as much as the 2005 we just looked at with yellow seats. I continue to look over the boat and realize that there's no Bimini top in which he described in his ad that it came with which he declined and said he couldn't include that at the price he advertised it at (felt like I was buying a used car...), and apparently he couldn't provide me with a boat cover that has no giant holes in it either. I keep looking it over and find that the Ipod/USB plug in is corroded and rusted out and was actually unusable, I asked him if this would be replaced before purchase, and like the other 2 things, at that price I can't do that. So, to this point I'm getting frustrated. This $50,000 2012 boat does not come with a Bimini or working boat cover (which were included initially) or trailer of any type. Lastly, the teak platform looked like it has been just sitting in the sun for 10 years and dried out. We go inside to talk about the deal and apparently Marina Mikes is a Mastercraft dealer and this is the last MC he has and will no longer be a MC dealer when he sells this boat (which is probably best for him). He goes on to explain to me that he has $70,000 invested in this boat because he initially paid $57,000 for the boat and has paid $13,000 In interest in the last 3 years on the boat. I asked him the Mastercraft warranty (4 years bow to stern) came with the boat even though it was built 3 years ago and he said I'm sure it does and so I asked him if he could make sure I get that in writing and he says that the paperwork I sign will have As-is written on it and tried to assure me that it would be ok. Needles to say I passed on that one too. What is up with the idiots...?

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 08:48 PM
Here are the pics from the X2

neil.anderson63
06-01-2014, 09:11 PM
Just a little FYI - No one's ballast gauges work all the time if ever.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Just a little FYI - No one's ballast gauges work all the time if ever.

Yeah, I saw that on 2 of the 4 boats I went to look at yesterday so that is probably pretty accurate. What is the part that goes bad that makes it not read the water level?

neil.anderson63
06-01-2014, 09:26 PM
Yeah, I saw that on 2 of the 4 boats I went to look at yesterday so that is probably pretty accurate. What is the part that goes bad that makes it not read the water level?
For most it's a callibration issue. It takes an act of God to keep them accurate.

Jeff d
06-01-2014, 09:36 PM
We go inside to talk about the deal and apparently Marina Mikes is a Mastercraft dealer and this is the last MC he has and will no longer be a MC dealer when he sells this boat...

Sounds like you'd be in for some great "Service after the sale" from ole Mike.

You've experienced the norm for used boat/car/anything shopping. Everything is usually along some spectrum between Cheap/Junk and Obscenely Overpriced/Well Kept. It takes diligence to find the anomalies that are both cheap and well kept (relatively speaking). I've had hits and misses over the years but mostly hits with the appropriate amount of diligence whether it be cars, houses, boats, campers, etc. Actually I can only think of one "miss" and that was my pop up camper. I got too excited and overly committed to a particular one and made a not so good purchase decision. In the end it worked out OK but I strayed from my own protocol and therefore got a little singed (I don't want to go so far as to use the "burned" metaphor).

Anyway, keep looking. You'll know when to stop.

Legacyauto11
06-01-2014, 09:43 PM
Jerseydave, that boat must be easy to love, that's a nice rig